• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Phillies making good on the stupid money I guess if they're throwing $21m guaranteed at relievers. Then again, I'm a Padres fan and relievers are literally the only thing we are good at so they never cost us anything.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Phillies making good on the stupid money I guess if they're throwing $21m guaranteed at relievers. Then again, I'm a Padres fan and relievers are literally the only thing we are good at so they never cost us anything.

Is it something in the tacos? We get these guys off the trash heap, they become good, then they go away to other teams and end up going to the trash heap again. It's... it's weird.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it something in the tacos? We get these guys off the trash heap, they become good, then they go away to other teams and end up going to the trash heap again. It's... it's weird.
The guys we were giving away at the 40 man roster crunch are like actually okay relievers, we just have a billion good relievers and they were the worst ones

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They generally aren't good before they get to SD... Yates, Hand, Stammen, Heath Bell even... lots of guys over the years.
It's not even the ballpark. The park factor for Petco has averaged around 1.0 in the last 5 years or so (which means it's almost entirely fair to both batters and pitchers). It has a reputation for being cavernous but they moved the fences in like 6 times.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the ballpark. The park factor for Petco has averaged around 1.0 in the last 5 years or so (which means it's almost entirely fair to both batters and pitchers). It has a reputation for being cavernous but they moved the fences in like 6 times.

Right. Just seems that the Padres have some special sauce for relievers (despite numerous coaching changes over the years) or some serious cluster luck.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right. Just seems that the Padres have some special sauce for relievers (despite numerous coaching changes over the years) or some serious cluster luck.
It's an organizational philosophy (really).

Kirby Yates sucked when he was on the Angels because the Angels told him to throw his slider and fastball and to shelve his splitter which is his best pitch. The Padres' staff told him to throw it as often as he wanted because they saw him doing it in practice and it was clearly his best pitch. Brad Hand was a bad starter with the Marlins who had a big 12-6 curve, and they saw him developing a wicked slider and told him to just throw that pitch instead.

For as hard as it is to believe now, Hand didn't always have his trademark slider. He developed it with the help of pitching coach Chuck Hernandez in 2015. Hand didn't throw the pitch much that season overall (less than 10 percent of his pitches were sliders), but he showed more confidence with it as the year progressed. Even in a small sample, the results were encouraging, with batters hitting .233 against it and whiffing on 41 percent of their swings, per Brooks Baseball.

Hand joined the Padres the following April and, wouldn't you know it, he took to embracing his slider. His usage rate increased throughout his time in San Diego, moving from 31 percent in 2016 to 44 percent in 2017 to 55 percent in 2018. Batters saw more sliders, but they didn't get any more comfortable against the pitch, missing on at least 40 percent of swings in each year.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
ITs january 5th and two 26 year old all stars that are some of the best players in the whole league ,probably the world, aren't signed. What the hell is going on?

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Based on early returns it looks like our boy Edgar is finally going to get his due!

61IbjAqe%2BRL._SX466_.jpg

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Don't love this deal. That's a lot of money for not knowing if Britton can return to his peak.

Last edited:

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Get Ottavino and Manny.
Given the massive glut of relievers on the market I think I would rather just sign the second one on the cheap eventually and put the money saved into an elite starting pitcher fund for next year's free agency. Also, I don't trust Aaron Boone to maximize our bullpen.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
13 million per year for 3 years for Britton? Dude pitched 41 innings last year. There's better ways to spend money. That makes him the 6th highest paid player on the Yankees (or 7th maybe after Gregorius's arbitration, I'm also not counting Tulo since the Blue Jays pay 19.5 million of that):

1. Stanton, 26 mil
2. Tanaka, 22 mil
3. Ellsbury, 21.4 mil (lol)
4. Chapman, 17.2 mil
5. Happ, 17 mil

Gregorious is probably going to clock in around 12-13 million, but with the injury who knows. Eh, anyways if Britton produces like he has the last few years, they are paying 13 millon for a guy who's going to pitch 2/3rds as much as the top 5 in the pen most likely. Seems kind of dumb to me, he's already on the wrong side of 30.

Last edited:

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Given the massive glut of relievers on the market I think I would rather just sign the second one on the cheap eventually and put the money saved into an elite starting pitcher fund for next year's free agency. Also, I don't trust Aaron Boone to maximize our bullpen.

They should go cheap if they have any intentions of re-signing Betances next offseason. If Britton is getting $40m, Betances is going to get more than that.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
They should go cheap if they have any intentions of re-signing Betances next offseason. If Britton is getting $40m, Betances is going to get more than that.
This is also why I'm not in favor of giving Ottavino a big deal. I mean, if he wants to take a super team friendly deal to come home then sure, but (a) he's been pretty up and down throughout his career and (b) he's 33. If the Yankees were absolutely committed to giving out two big reliever contracts this offseason (which I don't think is necessary) then there was no reason not to bring back D-Rob at the price he ultimately went for.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'm going to light my dick on fire if the Braves end up re-signing Markakis

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
A professional ball player who plays good defense and hit his best when healthy.
He would be a step back if the Braves brought him back. I loved his redemption story last year and him getting to the All-Star game, but in all honesty, the chances of him replicating the first half of 2018 are slim when considering his age and career trajectory.

Haniger would be ideal and the Braves have the pieces to trade for him. I wouldn't mind Pollock either, even with his injury concerns.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trevor Bauer would be like 50% less creepy if he just sent DMs to the mildly antagonistic opposing female fans he seems to draw the attention of rather than getting in public slapfights

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Baseball owners do understand that you have to build up hype before a season starts,yes?
Part of that I saw having an off season where you build a team and give fans some sort of hope or an idea what dirof cation th the franchise is heading towards.there is most definitely an effort to pocket money and drive down salaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.