• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and yeah there's a labor stoppage coming. MLB players get 40% of revenue. Guys don't get paid.

Yeah, no, there's a major stoppage coming, like potentially a full season.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

How many more years until the Mets actually hire a clown to play for them.
Oym6pu2.gif

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The White Sox have a deal in place with outfielder Jon Jay, a source told MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal on Monday night. According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, who first reported the agreement, it's a one-year, $4 million contract. The club has not confirmed.

Not only does this move give Chicago some outfield depth, it could also help the White Sox in their pursuit of Manny Machado. Jay is close with Machado and Machado's brother-in-law Yonder Alonso, who was traded to Chicago earlier this offseason. Each of the three wrote about training together in Miami during the offseason in a 2017 piece for the Players' Tribune.

"The three of us all come from the similar backgrounds. I've known Yonder since he was 10," Jay wrote at the time. "And we've both known Manny since he was a young kid coming up. We're from the same neighborhoods, the same culture, so its just natural for us to stick together."

A nine-year big league veteran, Jay is coming off a year in which he slashed .268/.330/.347 over 143 games between stints with the Royals and D-backs.

I'm very meh on this.
for the same amount of money they could have likely gotten Avisaíl García back, and there is a much higher chance Garcia could have an impactful season than Jay.

Oct 27, 2017
If the Mets really wanted to cover and eliminate "ifs" over the course of the season they would sign Marwin Gonzalez (gives them versatility in both the INF & OF with a decent bat), sign Martin Maldonado (gives them a strong option behind the dish to give Ramos all the time off he will need while also giving them a totally new catching tandem) and finally they should have built a super-pen by signing/trading for another late-inning-type dominant reliever. None of these moves would have broke the bank.

This may very well be the case I'm just curious where these "indications" are coming from...is it from a source (team or otherwise) or is it just looking at what they have done very recently (this past weekend mostly) like the rest of us and assuming they have nothing left to spend because of the smallish-in-nature transactions?

Last edited:

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh and yeah there's a labor stoppage coming. MLB players get 40% of revenue. Guys don't get paid.

Yeah, no, there's a major stoppage coming, like potentially a full season.

Players Union is also going to fight to get rid of the luxury tax threshold, or at least make the punishment less severe. It shows how bad of a deal they signed last time when even Machado and Harper in their prime are having trouble getting long-term deals.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twi of the most talented players in history are free agents in the prime of their careers and they're both unsigned a month away from pitchers and catchers.

Yeah this labor stoppage is going to be real bad.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Twi of the most talented players in history are free agents in the prime of their careers and they're both unsigned a month away from pitchers and catchers.

Yeah this labor stoppage is going to be real bad.
It's rediculous because long term could have them till they are 33-34 and they could still be putting up great numbers 😔.

Reds sadly don't need either but I think if they did we would have gotten them.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
MLB Network is also reporting that Yanks are likely out of the Machado sweepstakes. If the Yanks offered anything close to what the Phillies and White Sox offered, Machado would've signed already since NY is his preferred destination.

Big Al

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Turned down 4 years 60m from the Mets lol, if that's any indication of what people think of us

Lol??

Last edited:

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol, he didn't turn down 4/60. that's always bullshit leaked by the team so they can tell their fans they tried.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You're right. For some reason I thought it was $20 million. This market is crazy. Grandal is a legitimate elite catcher in his prime and puts up top of the line production, even if a lot of it isn't flashy or easily quantifiable, but he's got to settle for one year. Probably wants to reset his value but does this same shit happen next year? It seemed to happen last offseason. Something is going to have to give and it's probably going to result in a strike/lockout, despite the MLB raking in insane revenue. Tony Clark and the owners need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Yaz and Lowrie deals are a joke. Telling me two guys coming off career years playing premium positions are only worth 1 and 2 year deals respectively?

Yeah no, the players need to strike in 2021.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Lowrie signing. I know it didn't seem like a need for the Mets but he's good and it's a very team friendly contract. Best case scenario we have too many solid players and we need to get creative to find ABs, but knowing the Mets, half these guys will be hurt anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.