• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
I will only worry if they cheap out when it's time to sign Judge.
If Hal even considers cheaping out on Judge the city will burn. The fact that Judge, who might produce more surplus value for the Yankees pre-FA than the entirety of either Machado's or Harper's 300 million plus contracts, openly lobbied for the FO to sign one of them only for Hal to decide to hoard his daddy's money is the most infuriating part of all of this. Aaron Judge is an orphan who has turned himself into the face of baseball by being really good at life; Hal is a trust fund baby whose entire existence consists of presiding over the least succesful Yankees era in 30 years while siphoning money off of less fortunate kids who are actually good at their jobs.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they have team control over Judge until he's like 31 or 32? They may not have to worry about breaking the bank for him.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Don't they have team control over Judge until he's like 31 or 32? They may not have to worry about breaking the bank for him.
Yup. He's older than Machado and Harper. They can probably do a high aav less years extension in which the team buys out two to three years of FA. Something like Altuve's extension would be ideal.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, Judge is kinda fucked on that end unfortuntely due to age (he'll make bank, but not that kind of bank). Which is partly why the "we can't sign dudes to rack up rings with Judge in his prime" excuse is beyond infuriating.There isn't a single Yankee who will be a FA at 26 and thus command that kind of money (Gleyber is the closest).

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

Neat, some good news for a change

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
https://nypost.com/2019/03/05/jose-canseco-i-can-make-tim-tebow-a-home-run-machine/

I want YOU, Tebow! I'm gonna make you a home run machine!

fred_mcgriff.jpg

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
severino is basically going to miss the rest of ST and then have to build up. You aren't gonna see him in NY for a month, and that's if everything goes well with no setbacks. And assuming his shoulder isn't toast

embrace the keuchel

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
JFC, just go get Keuchel and let Sevy marinate for a while. I hope his shoulder is just barking and heals up normally over time.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
It's gonna be Gio Gonzalez not Keuchel. I'd be totally fine with that on a cheap one year deal.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's gonna be Gio Gonzalez not Keuchel. I'd be totally fine with that on a cheap one year deal.

I'm a little concerned. Gio is fine if Severino really is only going to miss a month, but I'm skeptical when it comes to what they say about injury timetables. They downplayed Judge's injury last year and said he'd be back in 3 weeks. It took more than twice that before he returned.

JoseDFrog

Oct 27, 2017
YES! Fuck your Knuckleballs! Please, oh please go full Jenrrrrrrrrrrry Mejia.

Last edited:

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Kimbrel spotted hanging around the Braves ST facility the last day or so according to 92.9 in Atlanta

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Alex Jackson's prospect value faded when he hit .201 and struck out in 36 percent of the at-bats totaled with Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett last year. But the former first-rounder -- who spent a few years as an outfielder -- has impressed both at the plate, and behind it. The 23-year-old catcher has struck out just once while hitting .375 (6-for-16) with two doubles and a homer.

"He might be the most improved player for me," Snitker said. "I've really enjoyed watching him, and seeing the progress and improvement. He's got too many good things going to not hit better than he did last year. The raw power is just crazy. I like where he's at."
https://www.mlb.com/news/freddie-freeman-hits-grand-slam-in-spring-play

It would be great if Alex Jackson could turn into something for the Braves.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I like it for the most part, except for the upper deck in left.

It's going to be empty 90% of the time, why even have it there?

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Handing out a ten year deal to an elite player, who is only 26 and would be massively improve the team, isn't dumb. But hey, Hal needs a new yacht.

I can see why they wouldn't be all in on Harper and Machado, but I do think it's super dumb to sign Lemahieu and expect him to do anything at all where it really matters defensively. And that seemed to be the entirety of their plan prior to signing Tulo. Tulo is basically rolling a loaded die on whether he's got anything left in the tank (he probably doesn't).

Problem is we all know Hal isn't going to drop money when it matters most either.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why they wouldn't be all in on Harper and Machado, but I do think it's super dumb to sign Lemahieu and expect him to do anything at all where it really matters defensively. And that seemed to be the entirety of their plan prior to signing Tulo. Tulo is basically rolling a loaded die on whether he's got anything left in the tank (he probably doesn't).

Problem is we all know Hal isn't going to drop money when it matters most either.
Huh?
Signing Tulo was the equivalent of finding a Blu Ray player on the side of the street and deciding to take it home to see if it plays disks.
if it works, yay you have a blu ray player, if it doesn't, it didn't cost you anything so you just throw it away.

Tulo is costing the yankees the league minimum. It's literally a garbage dump pick up with a hope it works, there is no plan beyond that. if it doesn't work it costs them pretty much nothing and it doesn't matter.

to put it in other terms the yankees invested nearly 50 times more money into Lemahieu then Tulu.

and for a second... Huh?
Lemahieu overall has positive defensive numbers and 3 gold gloves to his name. so I don't understand what you mean by "it's super dumb to sign Lemahieu and expect him to do anything at all where it really matters defensively"

going off the numbers I see on baseball reference Lemahieu was signed at below the value you should expect for his production, meaning by the numbers it was a solid signing by the yankees, something I hate saying because I wish nothing but last place on the yankees :/

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Because Lemahieu doesn't play the positions the Yankees should care about defensively (3rd and short), or he hasn't in such a long time he may as well not have. His defense at those is probably going to be questionable at best.

The league is about replacement value. If Tulo fizzles out, then they lost whatever his replacement would have done. I don't care if he costs league minimum, the Yankees are not exactly the A's. They don't need to be fishing for league minimum guys. I don't blame them for making the Tulo signing given how inadequate their previous plan was, but let's not pretend it was likely an amazing stroke of genius. It was the cheap man's strategy.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Handing out a ten year deal to an elite player, who is only 26 and would be massively improve the team, isn't dumb. But hey, Hal needs a new yacht.
Like, the Yankees would be better with Machado, but having a ridiculous bullpen is probably going to be a bigger difference given what the Yankees are already fielding. Machado would be diminishing returns, IMO. Like, the Yankees are fucking good right now.

Like, the point at which an already solid team starts making marginal upgrades for huge dollars is when competitive balance gets out of whack.

Status
Not open for further replies.