• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 58832

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I understand that it's weird to feel bad for a multimillionaire for being bad at their job, but nevertheless I do. I really wish Davis could turn it around.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's not my money, but the O's really should just release Davis and eat the contract.

Why release him?
He's a left handed power bat that strikes out a lot and bats under .200 The white sox will pay handsomely for such a player.

White sox DH since Jim Thome
Adam Dunn (batted around .200 across 3 seasons with the first season of .159)
Adam LaRoche (batted .207 for the single season he had)
then they switched to right handers for a bit
Avisaíl García batted .245 as the dh
Matt Davidson averaged .224 over 2 years
and then they went back to a lefty in Yonder Alonso who batted .178

Worst part is they consistently have players in the minors who bat like .300 with 30 home runs (but suck at playing the field hard core) that they never bring up to give a shot for some reason. Instead they go out of their way to hire over the hill power hitters that do nothing #_#

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got rid of two Zack G.'s, replacement Zac G. looking like the real deal!

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Mets have gone from being laughed at for trading for one of the best starting pitchers. To one game out of the wild card in two weeks.

Obviously it's going to end up being a mets vs yankees world series with the mets taking it in 5 so you might as well start rooting for them now :P
Half a game now.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
I was actually shocked when Boone retained Rothschild. Usually when a new manager is hired, he brings in a whole new staff as well.
Aren't there always stories about how the Yankees newly acquired pitchers are always adding velocity? I think the blame for rotation woes this year is more due to injuries. I'd bet CC and Paxton have been largely ineffective because of injuries they've been nursing and Happ is just Happ.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Aren't there always stories about how the Yankees newly acquired pitchers are always adding velocity? I think the blame for rotation woes this year is more due to injuries. I'd bet CC and Paxton have been largely ineffective because of injuries they've been nursing and Happ is just Happ.

I haven't heard that. Paxton's velocity is about the same as when he was in Seattle. Tanaka and CC's velocity has gone down due to age. Happ is about the same.

The Astros on the other hand though....

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
I haven't heard that. Paxton's velocity is about the same as when he was in Seattle. Tanaka and CC's velocity has gone down due to age. Happ is about the same.

The Astros on the other hand though....
Paxton definitely hasn't been the same since he came back from the IL. His fb command has been bad. I remember Axisa writing about it.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Paxton definitely hasn't been the same since he came back from the IL. His fb command has been bad. I remember Axisa writing about it.

Paxton is probably still affected by that knee.

CC's knee also affects his pitching.

Tanaka's velocity is similar to what it's been since he ripped his UCL - his problem is the baseball and the changes to it this season. The baseball is a problem for a lot of pitchers - even the top ones have complained about the seams/the grip and what it's done to the movement on their pitches.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

If you can't see the tweet, Yankees/White Sox at the Field of Dreams August 13th, 2020

I look forward to this and the white sox beating them.

remember the white sox actually went 4-3 against the yankees this year (and thus own about 10% of the yankees losses for the season right now :P)

It's weird when the white sox were good the yankees killed them, these last few years while they have been bad though they have been beating up on the yankees lol.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Command sure, but the other poster was talking about velocity. Paxton's fb velocity is around the same (mid to upper 90's). It certainly hasn't gone up since he joined the Yanks, contrary to what the other poster suggested.

deftech

Oct 29, 2017

That's Houston where guys magically get a few extra ticks on the radar (see: Verlander, Justin).

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
Man, being a Yankee fan living in Iowa, the news from this morning has me excited. I hope I am able to snag a ticket or two.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
That's Houston where guys magically get a few extra ticks on the radar (see: Verlander, Justin).
The Yankees are notoriously good at adding velocity to 17-23 year old minor leaguers once they get into their system. But yeah they're not getting 34 year olds to miraculously throw 5 mph harder or whatever.
Yea Greinke was throwing 97 the other night. Giant eyeroll emoji.

Verlander didn't add velocity after coming to Houston. A year or two or more? before being traded he had ab surgery and needed to rebuild his core strength. He talked about it in a few interviews.

Last edited:

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yea Greinke was throwing 97 the either night. Giant eyeroll emoji.

Verlander didn't add velocity after coming to Houston. A year or two or more? before being traded he had ab surgery and needed to rebuild his core strength. He talked about it in a few interviews.
Pretty sure Det pumped their gun up too. They got excited with young Verlander and guys like joel zumaya years ago.

deftech

Oct 29, 2017
Yea Greinke was throwing 97 the either night. Giant eyeroll emoji.

Not just added velocity, but spin rate as well. I'm not saying they're juicing him or anything, just guys hitting 35/36 rarely see up ticks like he's seen (coming back from injury or not).

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Not just added velocity, but spin rate as well. I'm not saying they're juicing him or anything, just guys hitting 35/36 rarely see up ticks like he's seen (coming back from injury or not).
Agin he didn't add velocity after coming to Houston.

I get it, it makes for funny trolling to pretend like Verlander went to Houston added 8mph and returned to his Cy young form. Especially from Yankees fans who don't pay attention to shit outside NY. But Verlander was having a pretty good 2017 before being traded and his velocity had returned after having core surgery in 2014, spending some time on the DL in 2015 before being traded in 2017.

As for spin this isn't hard. Look at Cole and one start from Sanchez. They literally banned the two seam fastball. Someone put out Sanchez pitch usage by month after his first start the other day and 2 seam drops like a rock and 4 seam went straight up.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
9 in a row.

giphy.gif

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's not my money, but the O's really should just release Davis and eat the contract.

It's a sunk cost. I know the argument by some is that the O's don't have any 1B/DH prospects being blocked by Davis, but you can't find some reclamation project off waivers or something who might be better served by having those ABs the rest of this season to see if maybe you can find a diamond in the rough? Same thing with the Angels and Pujols. It's just a complete waste of a roster spot and at-bats.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As much as I want to put it on Happ the inning should have been over twice before that bomb.

Yes, but he still had the chance to pick up his teammates and get out of it. Instead, he gives up a devastating HR that breaks the game wide open. He needs to learn a cutter or a slow curve so that hitters aren't just sitting on his 4-seamer. He's given up way too many HRs this year.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Cleveland's pitching is really good. I think they're the bigger threat to the Astros than the Yanks and Twins.

Status
Not open for further replies.