• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if any contenders are kicking themselves for not paying attention to Nova's numbers and how they were trending.

could have likely been a great pick up for a contending team
TkVjWxh.png

With his complete-game effort in Tuesday's 4-1 victory over the Astros in Game 2 of a doubleheader at Guaranteed Rate Field, the veteran right-hander improved to 4-0 over his last five starts. That stretch began with a complete game against the Marlins on July 22; he has allowed two earned runs (five total) over his last 37 innings as part of this run for a minuscule 0.49 ERA.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
When he made that post we were winning and they were losing though. Silly to call him out on it after the fact.

Even when the Twins was down in the game, did you honestly think they were "the worst team in the league". Also, the Indians never had a lead in that game. Boston was up 2-0, 4-1, 6-3, 6-5, then Indians tied it in the 9th.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
It's so nice that the Yankees are actually beating up on the Orioles this season. It is still crazy to me that they lost so many games to them last year considering how awful that team was.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's so nice that the Yankees are actually beating up on the Orioles this season. It is still crazy to me that they lost so many games to them last year considering how awful that team was.

Yanks have a much more consistent offense this year. Last year it was a lot of feast or famine. We're hitting much better with RISP this year and guys are putting bat on ball instead of striking out all the time.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yankees are actually striking out at about the same clip as they were last year.

Relative to the league, they've improved in that metric. Last year they struck out 9th most in the league. This year they are 15th. Last year they were 6th in hitting w/ RISP. This year #1 with a .303 avg, 20 points higher than the 2nd place team.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The NL Central is turning into the division nobody wants to win. Every team (except the Pirates) are either 6-4 or 5-5 over their last 10 games and nobody in the NL Central has a winning record on the road. This division is bad.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
yankswin27ringsballbags.gif

Going 17-2 against a team in a season is pretty insane, regardless of how bad Baltimore is.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Good to see Sanchez's bat come alive. In contrast, Judge looks completely lost at the plate. He's swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone while taking fastballs right down the middle. It's like whatever he's anticipating he's getting the opposite pitch.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
white sox against the yankees this year
4-3
white sox against the astros this year (if they can hold on today)
4-3
White sox against the marlins this year
1-2
White sox against the O's this year
3-3

:P

Oct 27, 2017
...and just like that, the Mets are back to being, well, the Mets.

Fucking Mickey Callaway lets Matz hit and run the bases and THEN takes him out of the game after allowing just 2 hits over 6 IP and only 79 pitches. Best upcoming move of the offseason is when this guy is gone.

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Guy snatches defeat from the jaws of victory like it's his job. Matz was cruising. Lugo for two to Diaz or Lugo/Familia/Diaz is a ticking time bomb. As borne out. Sigh. Ninth just twisted the knife.

Oct 27, 2017
Guy snatches defeat from the jaws of victory like it's his job. Matz was cruising. Lugo for two to Diaz or Lugo/Familia/Diaz is a ticking time bomb. As borne out. Sigh. Ninth just twisted the knife.
Matz had retired 14 hitters in a row and was only at 79 pitches heading into the 7th. At minimum he should have been allowed to start the 7th inning, hopefully complete it and if you want then go to Lugo for 2 innings but I would have rode Matz until there were some base runners out there.

Callaway talking about how he would make that same move 100 times out of 100. He's just awful. Zero reason to ever rush to the Mets bullpen (and I like Lugo a lot but this was an awful decision).

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leaving him in as long as he did was an even worse decision, snitker almost out doofused him leaving melancon in too long too.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If you have an Athletic subscription, I highly recommend this piece on Mark Kertenian, the manager of the Dodgers affiliate the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes. Unorthodox approach but it seems to be working very well: https://theathletic.com/1124485/201...all-and-life-lessons-as-dodgers-players-guru/

A couple bits (of a very long article).. hopefully this is okay:

One May afternoon, Kertenian called two Rancho Cucamonga Quakes players into his sparse office. He asked the players to sit on his sofa while he pulled up ambient music on YouTube. He offered towels to cover their eyes. From his desk chair, he guided them through a breathing exercise, as mellow tunes hummed in the background.

"Right hand low," he began. "Left hand high."

The men were not top prospects. Both Brayan Morales and Marcus Chiu had been drafted in the 15th round. Both were struggling to start the season, Morales missing his family back in Florida and Chiu too often losing his temper.

Kertenian reasoned an alternative method could soothe them. He told the players to take a deep breath, beginning below their bellies. He talked about the simplicity of the breath, of how beneficial it could be. He implored them to focus on that breath.

And then he went quiet. For nine minutes he let the music continue uninterrupted. Morales fell asleep and dreamed of the fun he shared on sleepovers with his childhood best friend. Chiu also thought back to his youth, to baseball at its purest.

"From the shit he was saying," Chiu said, "I literally felt like I was floating."
Elián Herrera, a Quakes coach, reached the big leagues with the Dodgers and Brewers. He played for 17 professional teams over his 13 seasons. Never did he have a coach like Kertenian, a man who welcomed and displayed vulnerability.

"He is one of a kind who really cares about the players," Herrera said. "Most of the coaches do, but he really shows it. They keep their distance. He doesn't. He tries to make you comfortable. And sometimes, when you show someone you care about him, he can go and play more loose, more relaxed."

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Remember when Chance Adams was considered a "top" prospect in the Yankees' system? Good times. Now he's just fodder for the opposing team in blowout games.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

This was initially ruled an error and changed in game to a hit. Now it's been changed back? I had no idea they changed scoring decisions week+ later.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm 31 years old and have been a Phillies fan for life and have seen a lot of philly walk offs in my life. But that Harper walk off might be one of the best ever. Hands down. Maybe even better than Rollins walk off in the NLCS

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
I wish i wasn't so busy next week. Would love to see Jr and Bichette BP at Dodger Stadium. Maybe a preview in what to expect for next year's hr derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.