• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Doh yeah lol you're right, my mistake. Idk why my mind always goes to the sox winning that series.
The entire Red Sox fandom seemed to think that for a long time. One of the main reasons I hate the Red Sox. Up until 2004 Red Sox fans would constantly say they had gone the longest without winning the world series in the AL (though a lot of them didn't even clarify AL which made it a double lie as the cubs had 10 extra years on them), and it was always in fact the white sox that had gone the longest because they didn't win it in 1919 :P (they had last won in 1917 and the red sox in 1918)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happened under Manfred's watch. Went on for two years after Cashman complained to him in 2017. He didnt start an investigation until Mike Friers outed them.

Time for him to go. The buck stops with him.

JoseDFrog

Oct 27, 2017
The only fair thing would be to let teams cheat against the Astros for the next 3 seasons. Turn them into the new Orioles for Gleyber.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
This happened under Manfred's watch. Went on for two years after Cashman complained to him in 2017. He didnt start an investigation until Mike Friers outed them.

Time for him to go. The buck stops with him.

The only fair thing would be to let teams cheat against the Astros for the next 3 seasons. Turn them into the new Orioles for Gleyber.
you guys got sources for this information?

bleacherreport.com

MLB Reportedly Adding Rules for Cameras, Video to Restrict Sign-Stealing

As Jeff Passan of ESPN wrote in February, Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have been discussing a litany of rule changes, including a pitch clock and a universal designated hitter...
they did do something about it.
"Major League Baseball is cracking down on high-tech sign stealing. It is banning all non-broadcast outfield cameras from foul pole to foul pole as well as tightening restrictions on in-house video, several sources familiar with the new rules told SI. Teams violating the protocols face penalties that include the loss of draft picks and international spending money."
the only live feed teams have access to now is the replay room. in addition an MLB representative is now in the replay room with the teams replay reviewers.

the players got immunity, why would they admit to it in one year and not the others? And if MLB is trying to cover up anything, dont you think they would cover up the 2017 season and not the others?
Literally no one, not a single witness, anyone on the internet jomboy included has come up with a single shred of evidence of the astros using a buzzer system in 2019.

and finally, as always its going to be hilarious as more and more information comes out about other teams doing the exact same damn thing.

Seriously i do love this, i've learned a shit load about baseball in the past few weeks.
Like did you know the "shot heard round the world" was sign stolen? The giants used a telescope from the managers office and the sign would get relayed through.... a buzzer system.

back in the day, like the 1890s they used a fucking telegraph. Like, thats amazing ingenuity right there.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
As a Houstonian I lost a good bit of respect for both the Astros and our fans. The team doesn't seem sorry at all and the fans are largely uninterested in holding them accountable. Just pure tribalism and circling the wagons around what honestly sounds like a bunch of assholes.

Maybe everyone else does it too, but we got caught.

Last edited:

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Manfred had done his damn job and just figured out everything that happened and suspended players accordingly, those players would only have to suffer for the duration of the suspension and then they could move on from there. Take the L and get back to playing baseball.

Now these players are going to be suffering under pressure the entire season, if not longer. They're going to get thrown at, they're going to be constantly villified by the media and for other players for "getting away with it" and I'm not convinced there won't be other more serious long-term consequences due to how this debacle was(n't) resolved, both for the Astros organization and the players currently in it.

Just an utter disaster all around and Manfred is going to be responsible for all of it.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Bringing up Nomar LOL. Way to twist the knife.

As a Houstonian I lost a good bit of respect for both the Astros and our fans. The team doesn't seem sorry at all and the fans are largely uninterested in holding them accountable. Just pure tribalism and circling the wagons around what honestly sounds like a bunch of assholes.

Maybe everyone else does do it, but we got caught.

Wow it's refreshing to see an Astros fan who isn't acting like a crazy person right now.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Maybe everyone else does it too, but we got caught.
i respect your opinion your entitled to it.

but do you not understand why astros fans are circling the wagons?
people are A Acting like the astros are the first and B the only team to ever steal signs, like ever.

you got annoying fans making shit up about astros fans. Or acting like we should all burn our astros stuff and become fans of other teams. Or even demanding apologies from the fans, like wtf?

and then you got people making fun of Springers speech impediment.

or the racist shit said about correa i wont even post here.

whatever you think about the cheating scandal, if you can't manage to be critical without being a racist or bigoted asshole, then there's something wrong with you.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Wow it's refreshing to see an Astros fan who isn't acting like a crazy person right now.

To be fair I am a very casual fan, so I'm not nearly as invested in the whole thing. But I have followed this story since it broke - because it's honestly the most interesting thing to come out of baseball in years - and the gist of the team's response has basically been, "we guess we're sorry we didn't cheat smarter, now fuck off and leave us alone about it."

And most fans I know echo that sentiment wholeheartedly. It's the kind of petulant arrogance I'd expect from Yankees fans, not ours.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Who is going to strike first blood and intentionally bean an Astro for all of this shit?
don't know, but I hope who ever does gets a nice long suspension and a huge fine.

Regardless of what the Astros have done, throwing a baseball at nearly 100mph with the intent to harm or even potentially kill someone is screwed up and should carry harsh penalties to keep people from doing it.

trying to seriously hurt or kill people over cheating in a game is going WAY WAY too far.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
i respect your opinion your entitled to it.

but do you not understand why astros fans are circling the wagons?
people are A Acting like the astros are the first and B the only team to ever steal signs, like ever.

you got annoying fans making shit up about astros fans. Or acting like we should all burn our astros stuff and become fans of other teams. Or even demanding apologies from the fans, like wtf?

and then you got people making fun of Springers speech impediment.

or the racist shit said about correa i wont even post here.

whatever you think about the cheating scandal, if you can't manage to be critical without being a racist or bigoted asshole, then there's something wrong with you.

What's the point in trying to use Twitter Sports to make any point? It's 99% psychopaths trolls

Most Astros fans I've come across are just yelling Kiss the Ring and Libtard and crying about how everybody was doing the same thing. Can't blame them since they have Correa proclaiming that they cheated but Won it fair and square somehow.

The only thing I've learned from this whole ordeal is that Houston sports fans fetish that's it's somehow them vs world whenever someone coughs in their direction is scary. And I thought the Lebroniacs jumping on the Lakers bandwagon was bad.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Astros fans stood up for Yuli Gurriel despite his blatant racism. Of course they'll continue to circle the wagons -- they don't know how to do anything but that.

Manfred is an absolute clown and will never live any of this down. He's tainted. He should resign here, but given that he's making probably something like $15m a year at least, they've obviously got to fire him. And given that he let Crane off with a slap on the wrist.. there probably isn't a huge incentive from the owners at large to get rid of him. He's in their back pocket.

RC0101

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point in trying to use Twitter Sports to make any point? It's 99% psychopaths trolls

Most Astros fans I've come across are just yelling Kiss the Ring and Libtard and crying about how everybody was doing the same thing. Can't blame them since they have Correa proclaiming that they cheated but Won it fair and square somehow.

The only thing I've learned from this whole ordeal is that Houston sports fans fetish that's it's somehow them vs world whenever someone coughs in their direction is scary. And I thought the Lebroniacs jumping on the Lakers bandwagon was bad.
This has largely been my experience as well. Also, the knowing what was coming didn't help them argument.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
This has largely been my experience as well. Also, the knowing what was coming didn't help them argument.

I mean most sports fan I follow are from Gaf/ResetEra and pretty level headed. Nice back and forth without devolving into the cesspool that is most fandoms.

For me right now nothing beats Kings fandom, Way too much bluelivematter folks on Twitter and plenty of racists at the games.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
More and more players coming out and laying into Manfred and the Astros

He may not be able to suspend them because of the union but he damn well can strip their championship and rings

Instead he'd rather devalue the championship itself...

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017

twitter.com

Jon Heyman on Twitter

“Francis Martes, Astros pitcher, suspended 162 games for PED. 2nd offense. Rough stretch for Astros.”

Lol nothing but cheaters on that team.

Maybe the batters he was throwing to were also using PEDs. You can't expect him to stand on the mound and have someone potentially hit a ball back at his head because they're juicing and he isn't. It's a safety issue, what other recourse did he have.

Please review these 5 tweets that further my point...

1308.jpg

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Manfred is an absolute clown and will never live any of this down. He's tainted. He should resign here, but given that he's making probably something like $15m a year at least, they've obviously got to fire him. And given that he let Crane off with a slap on the wrist.. there probably isn't a huge incentive from the owners at large to get rid of him. He's in their back pocket.

The other 29 owners should be pissed off that Crane got off with just a slap on the wrist.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Most former top prospects that are pushing their mid 20s and can't keep their ERA under 5.5 for 3 seasons end up turning to PEDs to try to fix it.

That is far from exclusive to the Astros :P
I wonder how many pitchers, call-up or otherwise got their ERAs inflated (and maybe chances to pitch again in the big leagues) got fucked playing against cheaters

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the batters he was throwing to were also using PEDs. You can't expect him to stand on the mound and have someone potentially hit a ball back at his head because they're juicing and he isn't. It's a safety issue, what other recourse did he have.

1308.jpg

Lol.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
don't know, but I hope who ever does gets a nice long suspension and a huge fine.

Regardless of what the Astros have done, throwing a baseball at nearly 100mph with the intent to harm or even potentially kill someone is screwed up and should carry harsh penalties to keep people from doing it.

trying to seriously hurt or kill people over cheating in a game is going WAY WAY too far.
this.

1308.jpg
nah dude should just be cut. Can't manage to stay off the juice, whats the point?
also why did you quote my avatar?

I went to those old place and checked the apple watch red sox thread i have to say, shoutout to GK86 and evil solrac v3.0 for being consistent.
and Alligatorjandro for randomly piping in to claim baseball isn't a sport. lol

see below
idunno Gleyber, you could ask Gerrit Cole, he's right there on your team. Or you believe him, cause he's telling the truth but the rest are lying cheaters.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this.

nah dude should just be cut. Can't manage to stay off the juice, whats the point?
also why did you quote my avatar?

I went to those old place and checked the apple watch red sox thread i have to say, shoutout to GK86 and evil solrac v3.0 for being consistent.
and Alligatorjandro for randomly piping in to claim baseball isn't a sport. lol

see below
idunno Gleyber, you could ask Gerrit Cole, he's right there on your team. Or you believe him, cause he's telling the truth but the rest are lying cheaters.

And if Cole told him the hitters were cheating in 2019?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
And if Cole told him the hitters were cheating in 2019?
Then the Astros players lied to the MLB and commissioner and to the fans and should be punished if it can be verified.

as I said earlier there hasn't been any verifiable proof that they were in 2019. I'm sure jomboy and others have been trying to through 2019 to find something, anything that proves it.

I understand people want to believe what they want to believe and the Astros lost the benefit of the doubt. But let's not believe every fucking rumor put out on Twitter just for funsies.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If Manfred did try to punish the Astros players, I really wonder if the MLBPA would've fought it when so many prominent players have expressed their disapproval of the slap on the wrist that the Astros got. Trout is usually about as boring as it gets when it comes to interviews, but for him to even chime in on this is pretty out of character for him.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, the Astros players were given immunity in order to cooperate with the investigation. As shitty and disingenuous as the Astro players are being about this, I don't think Manfred has a leg to stand on to go back not that and now punish the players because he realized he handled this shit poorly. The PA would tie him up in court.

Manfred fucked up. The Astros players are trash. But everyone is going to have to move on.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
Manfred could still take the 2017 WS piece of metal from the Astros. Thats still available to him.
I have a feeling he'll throw the book at Cora because of all the bloodlust going on right now though. Feed him to the wolves and hope that placates them which is total bullshit.

Do we have a count on the rip my pants off club?
- Gary
- Bellinger
- Trout

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Manfred could still take the 2017 WS piece of metal from the Astros. Thats still available to him.
I have a feeling he'll throw the book at Cora because of all the bloodlust going on right now though. Feed him to the wolves and hope that placates them which is total bullshit.

Do we have a count on the rip my pants off club?
- Gary
- Bellinger
- Trout

Nothing would be gained from stripping the title but a terrible black mark on the league that will be remembered for years, and a precedent he likely wants no part of. This "scandal" will likely not be. At this point Manfred's best bet is probably to just let it run it's course. And it will. Because people have the collective memories of a gold fish when it comes to this stuff.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The PA would tie him up in court.

Would they though if 95% of the MLBPA wants the Astros players to be punished? This is a very unique situation where a lot of players on other teams, who are also part of the MLBPA, are dissatisfied with the lack of punishment for the Astros players. Is Tony Clark going to tell players on the other 29 teams to shut up just so he can protect the Astros players? Also, the immunity was given with the understanding that the Astros players told the truth. If more evidence is uncovered that proves they didn't tell the whole truth, Manfred needs to reopen the investigation.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, the Astros players were given immunity in order to cooperate with the investigation. As shitty and disingenuous as the Astro players are being about this, I don't think Manfred has a leg to stand on to go back not that and now punish the players because he realized he handled this shit poorly. The PA would tie him up in court.

Manfred fucked up. The Astros players are trash. But everyone is going to have to move on.
It sounds like they didn't have enough information to punish anyone without getting the players or the leadership to talk. So if he didn't make a deal, no one would have been punished. So in his mind making a deal to punish the leadership was better than making a deal with the leadership to punish the players, where the players union would be involved.

Hopefully in this next CBA they can come up with general cheating punishments like they do with PEDs. Surprised there isn't anything in the existing CBAs about breaking rules. Then again I guess that digital sign stealing isn't technically a rule? And the astros players never got a memo about it, so that's the issue.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
It sounds like they didn't have enough information to punish anyone without getting the players or the leadership to talk. So if he didn't make a deal, no one would have been punished. So in his mind making a deal to punish the leadership was better than making a deal with the leadership to punish the players, where the players union would be involved.

Hopefully in this next CBA they can come up with general cheating punishments like they do with PEDs. Surprised there isn't anything in the existing CBAs about breaking rules. Then again I guess that digital sign stealing isn't technically a rule? And the astros players never got a memo about it, so that's the issue.

I don't buy that the Stros players never got a memo so everything's okay.

Here's an article from September of 2017 detailing the warning Manfred gave to the clubs after the first Red Sox cheating scandal with the Apple Watches.

www.nytimes.com

Manfred Fines Red Sox Over Stealing Signs and Issues Warning to All 30 Teams (Published 2017)

The commissioner’s office said it would donate the fine to hurricane relief efforts in Florida.

This was big news back then and there were reports of a memo that went out along with the fines. Even then, it was hard to escape this story so it's hard to believe that even if a memo didn't reach the players they wouldn't have known that what they were doing was wrong or that MLB wouldn't be looking to crack down on this kind of enhanced sign stealing.

The issue honestly is that as we've learned, the threat of losing draft picks and being fined isn't enough to deter teams from cheating in this way, especially if like the Astros it delivers a championship and all the benefits surrounding that. And I'm not sure a few managers losing their jobs for a year is going to be enough to deter teams from trying again.

Status
Not open for further replies.