• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
About a month until spring training. I don't see this major offseason story slowing down in that time, and then it's only going to heat up even more. The media is going to ask everybody about it over and over again. Then when the season starts they'll ask again. This year is going to be a circus show.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so not surprised the white sox eventually got named on something (granted it's 30+ years old)

that being said....

"You know how it used to be taken care of?" McDowell said in the radio interview. "If they were stealing signs from second base, you just had the catcher call a breaking ball and then throw your fastball off someone's neck and just say, 'Oh, you're gonna keep trying to pick up signs, guys? What's it going to be?'

"There's ways to go around it. Players could police it back in the day. But now if you throw a ball 6 inches inside, you're almost thrown out of the game immediately and everyone wants to fight. Back in the day, it was like, 'You want to steal signs, yeah that helmet better be working right now.'"

That does not paint a good picture of McDowell at all #_#

it's basically trying to kill someone over stolen signs.

About a month until spring training. I don't see this major offseason story slowing down in that time, and then it's only going to heat up even more. The media is going to ask everybody about it over and over again. Then when the season starts they'll ask again. This year is going to be a circus show.

and unless things change it's going to end with a strike (after the season)... so there's that to look forward to as well lol.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019

The MLB also found "no wrong doing" by the Astros when an Astros employee was hiding in the camera well pointing a camera directly at the other team.
Or caught on to steroid.
Or caught onto all this current cheating until a journalist blew it up.

Keep trusting them though. I'm sure McGwire never took any steroids and I'm sure Barry Bonds was totally clean, despite never being suspended for it.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
On yesterday's continued success podcast they said that the reason mo active players were disciplined was because the MLBPA told the commissioner that no player would cooperate with the investigation unless all players were given blanket immunity. If that turns out to be true the commissioner should absolutely be fired. The players came up with this scheme, they are the ones that carried it out, they where the driving force behind everything that happened.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very new to baseball (on the Nats bandwagon midway through postseason)...

I watched the video of Altuve and his shirt and it seems pretty sus?

Blue Moose

Nov 5, 2017
I hope this is relatively kosher. Apologies if not.

I hoped that since this is a nice cross-section of gamers and baseball fans, someone here may be interested in an online baseball sim league I'm in. Limited availability: only 30 owner spots total, 2 or 3 openings now. It's been running since 2003 or 2004. Over 100 seasons simmed so far, and a dynamite website with a history of it all.

Full details in this (now two year old) thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/mlbc-sim-league-using-high-heat-2003-ot.6932/

And, to add to current events discussion, I will say that I feel bad for Astros fans. Well, I do if they feel bad, anyway. Astros players don't seem particularly contrite, though, so maybe most fans aren't either?

What's the right look for fans? Contrite? Just sad? Embarrassed?

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is relatively kosher. Apologies if not.

I hoped that since this is a nice cross-section of gamers and baseball fans, someone here may be interested in an online baseball sim league I'm in. Limited availability: only 30 owner spots total, 2 or 3 openings now. It's been running since 2003 or 2004. Over 100 seasons simmed so far, and a dynamite website with a history of it all.

Full details in this (now two year old) thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/mlbc-sim-league-using-high-heat-2003-ot.6932/

And, to add to current events discussion, I will say that I feel bad for Astros fans. Well, I do if they feel bad, anyway. Astros players don't seem particularly contrite, though, so maybe most fans aren't either?

What's the right look for fans? Contrite? Just sad? Embarrassed?
the sim league honestly looks interesting, more interesting to me than putting money on fantasy or something. I have to think about whether I can devote time to it between work and grad school but I'm browsing the site now, will let you know if I have questions.

If I were a stros fan I would be embarrassed. The Astros fans I've seen online are decidedly not that, but that's probably due to them being the loudest voices.

Blue Moose

Nov 5, 2017
the sim league honestly looks interesting, more interesting to me than putting money on fantasy or something. I have to think about whether I can devote time to it between work and grad school but I'm browsing the site now, will let you know if I have questions.

If I were a stros fan I would be embarrassed. The Astros fans I've seen online are decidedly not that, but that's probably due to them being the loudest voices.
It might take some time at first to learn the ins and outs of the program, but it's possible to ease yourself into it. Lots of people will help, and during the season, it's mostly downloading a roster and submitting a roster 3 times a week.

I'll be glad to help you along!

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wouldn't have voted for him based on all the gold gloves he didn't deserve that he got. if somehow he didn't get in on the first year then I would vote for him in the second.
screw him and his fake awards :P

Why is it his fault he got those Gold Gloves? It's the same group of baseball writers who were voting on those GGs. I don't recall Jeter ever campaigning to win a GG.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it his fault he got those Gold Gloves? It's the same group of baseball writers who were voting on those GGs. I don't recall Jeter ever campaigning to win a GG.
I mean I hate the yankees and Jeter... I need some crummy excuse not to vote for him and I like pointing out how stupid his gold gloves are :P

that being said if you go back Mariano Rivera was a first year vote for me as he was legitimately awesome.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Larry Walker got in with a 6-vote margin...so I guess that's at least a good thing to come out of Jeter getting denied 1 measly vote on some bullshit.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
1 year deal, so its whatever really.

The last couple of years Ozuna is just some dude who hits 25 homers. That's really it. Which isn't awful, but...when you let an MVP level player walk out the door and replace it with decent it still doesn't feel good.

Now there's too many OFers. Duvall is a goner, imo

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Always heard baseball writers were the worst or just chose to not vote for someone for the silliest reason. Almost surprised they had Rivera go in unanimously.

Status
Not open for further replies.