• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
captive, why do you think the problem is solely the sign stealing or even the "technology" aspect of it?
because thats what they got punished for. There's no rule in the MLB rulebook that says sign stealing is illegal. The "illegal" part was using either a "mechanical device" as denoted by a memo from the MLB office in 1960 or 61, or an "electronic device" as from a memo in the early 2000s from the MLB office. And finally the memo from Manfred in 2017 after giving the red sex an undisclosed slap on the wrist for using "electronic devices" to relay signs.

the problem is like everything else MLB has ignored this issue and in fact didn't discourage it. After replay review was introduced in 2014 teams asked the league office if they could use those to "decode signs" and the big brains at the league office, despite literal decades of "illegal" sign stealing, said yea sure, you can do that. Teams even asked if they could set up cameras as "training devices" trained on the catcher. And not a single person at the league office said, man i bet these guys will use that to steal signs in real time?

The league doesnt care about this shit. The only reason they did anything about PEDs is Consecos book. The only reason they are pretending to now is because Fiers went public. From my reading on the subject, the Astros along with a host of other teams have been repeatedly turned into the league office for "illegal sign stealing." And every time the league does nothing. They don't care because offense puts butts in seats. In fact they care so little about it, i haven't found a single instance of a player or team being punished for illegal sign stealing before the 2017 Red Sox were punished for it.

even doing a modicum of research you come up with story after story like this. about "illegal" sign stealing, PEDs, corked bats, pitchers using foreign substances, scuffing balls, you name it. Literally every article ive found on the subject has some team using a mechanical or electronic device to steal signs and in most of the articles its often treated as "unwritten rule" don't make it too obvious, IE having pine tar on your neck when your pitching, and everyone stays mostly mum about it.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Damn, I guess we get to finally see if what the Yankees paid for with getting Cole is finally worth it tonight.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
oh hey. one of the white sox games are broadcast today and my tmobile sub is still alive. guess I'm watching some baseball today

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Season almost starting and Yasiel Puig remains unsigned. Jeter Downs and Josiah Gray for Puig and Alex Wood is looking like an all timer.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Which is stupid as hell. There should be plenty of teams that could benefit from Puig. What's going

Hes not good enough to warrant whatever contract he might be seeking, even as a one year deal. He's not really improved much over the years, and his production for a corner outfielder just isn't that special. Some team with anemic OF depth will eventually pick him up, but it just dawned on me today because I was reading Keith Law's top 100 prospects list and both Downs and Gray made it. Not a good look for the Reds.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
because thats what they got punished for. There's no rule in the MLB rulebook that says sign stealing is illegal. The "illegal" part was using either a "mechanical device" as denoted by a memo from the MLB office in 1960 or 61, or an "electronic device" as from a memo in the early 2000s from the MLB office. And finally the memo from Manfred in 2017 after giving the red sex an undisclosed slap on the wrist for using "electronic devices" to relay signs.

the problem is like everything else MLB has ignored this issue and in fact didn't discourage it. After replay review was introduced in 2014 teams asked the league office if they could use those to "decode signs" and the big brains at the league office, despite literal decades of "illegal" sign stealing, said yea sure, you can do that. Teams even asked if they could set up cameras as "training devices" trained on the catcher. And not a single person at the league office said, man i bet these guys will use that to steal signs in real time?

The league doesnt care about this shit. The only reason they did anything about PEDs is Consecos book. The only reason they are pretending to now is because Fiers went public. From my reading on the subject, the Astros along with a host of other teams have been repeatedly turned into the league office for "illegal sign stealing." And every time the league does nothing. They don't care because offense puts butts in seats. In fact they care so little about it, i haven't found a single instance of a player or team being punished for illegal sign stealing before the 2017 Red Sox were punished for it.

even doing a modicum of research you come up with story after story like this. about "illegal" sign stealing, PEDs, corked bats, pitchers using foreign substances, scuffing balls, you name it. Literally every article ive found on the subject has some team using a mechanical or electronic device to steal signs and in most of the articles its often treated as "unwritten rule" don't make it too obvious, IE having pine tar on your neck when your pitching, and everyone stays mostly mum about it.

A few years ago didn't we sue the St. Louis Cardinals and win the suit?I forgot how the Cards were cheating off us, but I know they cheated using the Astros for something

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Kinda surprised it was not posted already, but it was discovered that Madison Bumgarner was participating in rodeo events under the alias Mason Saunders 😂. He even took first place in a team roping event and won 26k. No one in the DBacks front office had any idea this was going on 😆.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda surprised it was not posted already, but it was discovered that Madison Bumgarner was participating in rodeo events under the alias Mason Saunders 😂. He even took first place in a team roping event and won 26k. No one in the DBacks front office had any idea this was going on 😆.
That sounds like something a relief pitcher would do. Mason Saunders is a great alias, though.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't something like this void his contract?

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
if the regular season goes like spring training it will be a good season for the white sox and I don't know if I will make it.
white sox are 3 and 2
in their three wins they won in the 9th, won in the 9th, and won decently, but going into the 9th it was a 3-2 game and they added 4 runs.
in their two losses they had the tying run on third with 1 out in the 9th and got blown out in a split squad game
they also have a tie which they... tied it up in the 9th

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
if the regular season goes like spring training it will be a good season for the white sox and I don't know if I will make it.
white sox are 3 and 2
in their three wins they won in the 9th, won in the 9th, and won decently, but going into the 9th it was a 3-2 game and they added 4 runs.
in their two losses they had the tying run on third with 1 out in the 9th and got blown out in a split squad game
they also have a tie which they... tied it up in the 9th
And how many players involved in these 9th inning heart attack games will be playing in the majors?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
And how many players involved in these 9th inning heart attack games will be playing in the majors?
I'd have to go through, but a lot of times it's been players I actually know :P

it's also what the white sox did all last season though, I think the team chemistry just really leads to a never give up until its over mentality.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
So I got season tix this year but it's just ballpark access. Last year of the two dozen or so games i went to (with actual seat tix) my buddies and I just stood at the 1st base line area coz the bar is right behind you and it's a great view.

Anyway, I'm good with standing for an entire game especially because there's a counter there you can lean on but I was thinking of buying that "bionic chair" shit for longer games or when it's hot as balls or I'm hammered and wouldn't mind sitting for a bit:

Inventiveness.jpg

Anyone know if ballparks would let you bring this in? Lol.

Last edited:

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for a geolocation unlocker or decent vpn that lets me switch cities?

I use this one: https://unlocator.com/pricing/

It is $5 a month ($10 if you want a VPN as well).

Easy to set up on my laptop. I did set it up on the MLB.TV Fire TV stick app, but there were some issues where I had to clear out the cache every day to watch it. Seemed like a problem with the app and not their service. Never set it up on my phone so can't speak to that.

For the last two years they had a promo for baseball season where it would cost $3.71 a month when you signed up. Usually towards the end of March if I remember correctly. Might be sooner this year since opening day is at the end of March.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I use this one: https://unlocator.com/pricing/

It is $5 a month ($10 if you want a VPN as well).

Easy to set up on my laptop. I did set it up on the MLB.TV Fire TV stick app, but there were some issues where I had to clear out the cache every day to watch it. Seemed like a problem with the app and not their service. Never set it up on my phone so can't speak to that.

For the last two years they had a promo for baseball season where it would cost $3.71 a month when you signed up. Usually towards the end of March if I remember correctly. Might be sooner this year since opening day is at the end of March.
Awesome. Its exactly what I want and using a Fire Stick 4k as well.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
neat fan graphs is giving the white sox a 1.6% chance to win the world series this year and a 28% chance to make the playoffs

MLB Playoff Odds | FanGraphs Baseball

Playoff odds tell how likely an MLB team will win the division, wild card berth or win the World Series. FanGraphs simulates each season 10,000 times to generate the probabilities.
dodgers have the best chance to make the playoffs at 97.5% and the astros are the favorite to win overall at 20.2% (follow by the dodgers at 19.9)

the only team that fan graphs gives no chance to go to the playoffs are orioles, and mariners

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.mlb.com

Judge, Stanton likely to miss Opening Day

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Yankees will be without two of their most prominent sluggers to begin the season. Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton are both considered unlikely to appear in the Yankees’ Opening Day lineup, general manager Brian Cashman said on Tuesday at George M. Steinbrenner Field. Judge...

OP
OP
Sanjuro

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
www.mlb.com

Judge, Stanton likely to miss Opening Day

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Yankees will be without two of their most prominent sluggers to begin the season. Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton are both considered unlikely to appear in the Yankees’ Opening Day lineup, general manager Brian Cashman said on Tuesday at George M. Steinbrenner Field. Judge...
Good. Hopefully that should give this locked and loaded Sox team a huge boost.

*glances at pitching staff*

Status
Not open for further replies.