• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
1P6gorS.jpg

Release Date: March 27th, 2018 (First Pitch Weekend begins March 23rd, 2018)
Developer : Sony San Diego Studios
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Platform: PS4, PS4 Pro
Price: $59.99/69.99/99.99

Box Art
MiFcCZ8.jpg

What's New?
Diamond Dynasty

• These Stats Go To 125
For the first time ever, select stats will go over the traditional 99 cap to a maximum of 125. Not everyone will be able to take advantage of this new cap, though a few live series players do have some stats a touch above 99.

• Immortals
These new cards feature some of the greatest players to ever grace the diamond. Each immortal will be the reward for quality play over the course of several months. At the end of it all? The Great Bambino. The Sultan of Swing. The Immortal Babe Ruth!

b4ixd4g.png

New Programs
Unlike other ultimate team modes, ripping packs in MLB The Show isn't a primary point of progression. New Programs at each position will have you earning usable players that will help you fill out your squad at a generous clip.

Create A Player Rework
Say goodbye to everyone's least favorite all-99 catcher, Big Daddy Dick! One of the most welcome changes for DD heads, the Create A Player is drastically changing. Instead of feeding your Diamond Dynasty cards to power up your CAP, you'll need to follow a program with several decision points along the way that will shape how your character plays.

Road To The Show
Franchise

Performance Based Progression
In MLB The Show 18, Training Points will be automatically spent based on your performance in game. For example, hit well for power against lefties? The game will recognize that and assign you a boost to PWR v. L!

Player Archetypes
In addition to performance based progress, your new player will fit neatly into one of many archetypes with caps on each. If you're a hulking 3B who hits for 70 HR a year with a golden glove, don't expect to light it up on the bases.

No Mode Like Retro Mode
You can now play Retro Mode-style games within Franchise Mode. If you ever wanted to play GM for your old RBI Baseball games, this is the way to do it.

A Cleaner Franchise Mode For the Future
It looks like the Sony San Diego squad took the old Franchise UI behind a shed. What we have now is a cleaner and much more user friendly interface you can use to rebuild like the Marlins. While some will be disappointed by the exclusions in this year's franchise mode, I think this year sets the building blocks for a Franchise revolution in the coming years.

Retirement Logic Rework
No longer will a 22-year-old, 96 potential up-and-comer retire due to a 'poor free agent market', nor will an older player with a few years left in the tank retire early due to being old AF, making your life as GM much easier.

Trophies

Additional Media:
Gamestop Monday: Diamond Dynasty Details
Gamestop Monday: Road to the Show Details
MLB The Show 18 First Look Gameplay Trailer
Gamestop Monday: Top 10 new things in MLB The Show 18
- 20 Minutes of Road to the Show Gameplay

Other Resources
- Newbie's guide to Diamond Dynasty (About MLB The Show 17, but the ideas are still good.)
- OSFM Rosters. Keep an eye on this link in the coming weeks for updated Minor League Rosters
- Free Packs and Stubs via Playstation Live Quests. Follow the instructions and redeem the code.
- Pre Order Version Information (Digital Deluxe/MVP/All Rise)

*This thread was posted for member stumblebee . Please reach out to him directly if there is anything missing or you have any questions in regards to the content of this OT.

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Someone needs to catch me up on the dick references.

Also, won't be getting this day one since I'm tight on money but the second it goes on sale I'm there baby. Last year's game was pretty solid.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I hope they did something about the hitting in the game. I keep going back to MLB the show 08 because I can't hit changeups and I can't get my timing right with any of the other pitches as a hitter.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I hope they did something about the hitting in the game. I keep going back to MLB the show 08 because I can't hit changeups and I can't get my timing right with any of the other pitches as a hitter.
I couldn't hit for shit in the last year. Imagine how humiliating it is to have the difficulty automatically lower itself to the lowest possible setting because you're so shit.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Throwback to MLB The Show 15 when the Edge made their debut:

Good deal, now you can add content and make changes from the first post with no issues.

Also, won't be getting this day one since I'm tight on money but the second it goes on sale I'm there baby. Last year's game was pretty solid.

My guess it's an Judge/ Stanton, ResetEra word play.

Home Runs are also called "dongs" dinger/dong.... something like that?!? shooting in the dark here.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I couldn't hit for shit in the last year. Imagine how humiliating it is to have the difficulty automatically lower itself to the lowest possible setting because you're so shit.

I have the last two MLB games, never played a full game in either because I couldn't hit, even with dynamic difficulty, which i'm not a fan of because I don't want the game to constantly adjust itself.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018

Since you can name your character "Big Daddy" with the last name "Dick", like 50% of Create A Players you'll see online are named something along the lines of Big Daddy Dick or something like that.

They've tweaked hitting and ball physics this year. More realistic hits based off of pitch type, lefty/righty matchups, weather conditions, etc.

gambra

Oct 27, 2017
Monster dongs are just huge home runs. The homerun gif subreddit is r/monsterdongs, Deadspin uses the phrase constantly too.

DireStr8s

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are really playing to the hitting meta this year. 3 or 4 new strikezone cameras and a reworked pci. I hate it.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
They are really playing to the hitting meta this year. 3 or 4 new strikezone cameras and a reworked pci. I hate it.
I'm fine with the Strikezone cameras. I used zoom myself, so I hope they can strike a balance between strike zone visibility and being able to actually see the stadium.

PCI needed a rework too tho.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I wish there was a demo so we can know just how improved the hitting is. My purchase decision will hinge on this or i'll just keep playing MLB 08 during the summer as usual.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Ah, only MLB the Show, the only game that forces me to plug my PS4 into a monitor since my TV's input lag makes it impossible to hit inside fastballs in diamond dynasty.

Let's go.
edit: glad they spent so much time reworking the physics and hitting mechanics.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Can't remember which year I was playing, but in terms of hitting, it felt like I couldn't just spray the ball wherever. Like, it'd only go in a handful of locations. Feeling came back again when I picked up MLB 15 I believe.

Might pick this up, not 100% sure.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, only MLB the Show, the only game that forces me to plug my PS4 into a monitor since my TV's input lag makes it impossible to hit inside fastballs in diamond dynasty.

Let's go.
edit: glad they spent so much time reworking the physics and hitting mechanics.

I'm going to do the same thing. They also fixed the basestealing and catchers trying to field the ball.

Oct 27, 2017

DireStr8s

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with the Strikezone cameras. I used zoom myself, so I hope they can strike a balance between strike zone visibility and being able to actually see the stadium.

I'm just salty they are doubling down on the effectiveness of zone hitting. I prefer the simplicity of pure analog. So I constantly whiff on pitches with a "good" timed swing because the pci is arbitrarily placed.

If that makes sense.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of getting this. Haven't played since I think the PSP version (08, I believe). I am a bit worried about my ability to hit though reading some of the comments on here.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Strikezone is the same as it was last year. Strikezone 2 is a little pulled back. And Strikezone 3 is pulled back even farther. Stirkezone 3 almost looks like Zoom camera.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty excited for the early weekend access on Friday. Not to mention the trophies are legit just by playing the game normally.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea there was early access for pre orders, can't wait to jump in.

Any idea what the unlock time is?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As someone who really liked The Show the first 2 or 3 years, but has skipped it past few years (not due to negative reviews, just too many other games) --

Have the devs kept up the general technical quality & polish to a high level?

Or have they maybe gotten lazier and looser without any real competition in the baseball game genre?

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who really liked The Show the first 2 or 3 years, but has skipped it past few years (not due to negative reviews, just too many other games) --

Have the devs kept up the general technical quality & polish to a high level?

Or have they maybe gotten lazier and looser without any real competition in the baseball game genre?

I think this will be my 4th year with the show and its gotten better every year with less bugs/bs

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready to start a new franchise, tank immediately, and switch back to RTTS as is tradition. ...I really should read up some guides or something at some point.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
I never played a baseball game before, should i think about jumping in now? kinda interested from a casual aspect. Guess i'll keep my eye out, don't wanna buy a game i'll suck so hard at hitting ball xD

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, fuck it. I skipped last year, still not thrilled with how limited their updates have been. Hopefully i will see some graphical upgrades from 16.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
A Cleaner Franchise Mode For the Future
It looks like the Sony San Diego squad took the old Franchise UI behind a shed. What we have now is a cleaner and much more user friendly interface you can use to rebuild like the Marlins. While some will be disappointed by the exclusions in this year's franchise mode, I think this year sets the building blocks for a Franchise revolution in the coming years.
What are the exclusions?

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, fuck it. I skipped last year, still not thrilled with how limited their updates have been. Hopefully i will see some graphical upgrades from 16.

If you can I would either give 17 a go for very cheap or try out 18 (maybe redbox or something similar).

In 17 the addition of the ball having its own physics was huge. Its hard to fully type out, but if you have played Fifa or the NBA games before, the jump from ball being stuck to objects and traveling on pre-identified paths versus ball being its own identity made all those sports games night and day better.

Video is from last years version but obviously present in 18

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for tomorrow, been really looking forward to 18 and the start of a new season as well next week! Even though the Mariners can't catch a break with injury's this pre-season...

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I preordered it thinking that it was releasing last night for early access. I quickly discovered it was actually tonight :'(
Then I wanted to get my MLB fix, so I wanted to boot up 16, but I had already deleted it.

WHY LISA WHY