• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly this is amazing. I have both Xbox and Playstation but PC is where Baseball games shine. It would be nice if Sony implemented cross-buy between PC and playstation. That would keep me in their store.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
This makes no sense. Where else would the MLB go?

2K? Their game was crap and they knew it, so they stopped.
EA? How has that NBA Live revival gone?
In house? MLB already tried that, nobody bought RBI Baseball.

Sony was the publisher already making a good game. They had the leverage and probably got a big check and years of exclusivity.

Sony did not go into this negotiation wanting to lose a huge draw to their console. I would need tapes and minutes and R.Kellys grandma as a witness to believe the opposite.

Another company would totally make a new baseball game if given the license, and honestly, it would probably be ok. But I think sony saved a huge property from being pulled with this shrewd negotiation - MLB gets a mature respected game everywhere, sony makes more bank on it.

I STILL think someone else should be able to make games with it though - competition is still good for sports games imo.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
The only game I play on my Arkham Knight ps4 is going multi-platform........ well I'll do what I used to do in Fifa and NBA 2K..... buy multiple copies especially the Switch version!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Any company was free to make a MLB game so they didn't need to force Sony.

Back when Take Two sign the third party exclusive rights deal Platform owners were free to make exclusive games for there own consoles. Sony did, MS and Nintendo didn't.

Take Two third party deal ended around 2012, and The MLB decided to produce their own.

This is probably more of the MLB dropping RBI and paying Sony to bring The Show multiplatform

Nintendo actually had one in development and I believe it was ready to ship but they canned it at the last second because 2K agreed to port their game to Gamecube

65202_front.jpg

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony did not go into this negotiation wanting to lose a huge draw to their console. I would need tapes and minutes and R.Kellys grandma as a witness to believe the opposite.

Another company would totally make a new baseball game if given the license, and honestly, it would probably be ok. But I think sony saved a huge property from being pulled with this shrewd negotiation - MLB gets a mature respected game everywhere, sony makes more bank on it.

I STILL think someone else should be able to make games with it though - competition is still good for sports games imo.

Sony did not have the license though, why is everyone spinning the narrative. Anyone could have made a mlb game but no one wanted to put in the effort.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey we have a microsoft published game on playstation, why not a sony published game on xbox? Seems like a win win

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Outside of Half Life Alyx, this is the most insane news i've heard in a while. What is this madness? After decades of platform wars, Sony is kicking down doors. Thanks, Keighley.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

The MLB license is not exclusive. MLB could have handed it to EA or Take Two or whoever (assuming they wanted it, in recent years it didn't seem like anybody was interested) regardless of what Sony wanted. It wouldn't make any sense for MLB to negotiate their way into having less licensing partners, they would want as many as they could get. If push came to shove, they could have let Sony continue to make PS exclusive games while granting the license to someone else to make games on PC, Xbox and Switch (which they were already doing, via the RBI games, because, again, no other publishers were all that interested, at least not this generation).

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Nintendo actually had one in development and I believe it was ready to ship but they canned it at the last second because 2K agreed to port their game to Gamecube

65202_front.jpg
Oh yea I think I remember seeing that
The MLB license is not exclusive. MLB could have handed it to EA or Take Two or whoever (assuming they wanted it, in recent years it didn't seem like anybody was interested) regardless of what Sony wanted. It wouldn't make any sense for MLB to negotiate their way into having less licensing partners, they would want as many as they could get. If push came to shove, they could have let Sony continue to make PS exclusive games while granting the license to someone else to make games on PC, Xbox and Switch (which they were already doing, via the RBI games, because, again, no other publishers were all that interested, at least not this generation).

Exactly

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is it a huge draw?

MLB 19 released at the end of March and was on PS+ for October. I don't think any other PS4 exclusive has gone from release to free PS+ game that quick?

Probably a good title to get extra sales for across platforms.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a huge draw?

MLB 19 released at the end of March and was on PS+ for October. I don't think any other PS4 exclusive has gone form release to free PS+ game that quick?

Its a seasonal GAAS game. Holding it to the standards of a traditional first party exclusive (God of War, Last of Us) doesn't really make sense. It makes sense to put it out for free in October (World Series month, also the end of the baseball season) to milk the last bit of straggler interest before moving on to next year's game. Based on Mat Piscatella, the game performs very well at retail, and has been performing strongly as a service title for Sony.

For reference, 2K sold last year's NBA game for like $3 after last season. That's not a sign that the series is struggling, in fact it's the opposite, those are among the best selling games of the year. But when you are reliant on micro-transactions at some point it makes sense to just get the game in people's hands at whatever cost.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Is it a huge draw?

MLB 19 released at the end of March and was on PS+ for October. I don't think any other PS4 exclusive has gone from release to free PS+ game that quick?

I think this year's was the highest selling ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if this news is what made it go to PS+ and they skip next year's to have time to develop for multiple consoles

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i dont think there are enough salt shakers in the world to hold the amount of salt such an announcement would bring lol, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Baseball has a super wide market and sony could be making way more by publishing it on other platforms. I dont think their is anyway their real big hitters would make it over to the xbox of all places. But widely appealing service Based games might prove financially beneficial to them on other platforms

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is great news for players on all platforms. Exclusives on a specific licensed sports was always a bad idea.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Why people believe that other sony excusives will go multiplat?

It's obvious that this is an exception considering that this is a licenced IP

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It seems rather obvious MLB no longer wanted the sole baseball game to be a PlayStation exclusive. Sony makes a great game so they were probably offered a great deal to make it for all platforms.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
It was only a matter of time MLB went all in with Sony San Diego. To be honest, I was worried they might actually try to buy the baseball part of the studio from Sony. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried.

A couple of things.

Sony never had the Exclusive Rights to MLB Baseball at ANYTIME. They only had exclusive 1st Party rights.. meaning Microsoft could've had their own MLB game all this time if they wanted, they actually bought the once great High Heat Baseball series and have used it as a coaster all these years.

Nintendo could have brought back the great Ken Griffey series, but nope.

Now the second thing.

MLB has been using Sony San Diego's PlayerModels for their ATBAT gametracker thing for a while now. Very good relationship between them.

mlb-gameday-3.jpg

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Doctre81 has been on a roll the past couple of years, somehow he more than likely caught this earlier than anyone else!

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again MLB: The Show does really well very single year
Its a seasonal GAAS game. Holding it to the standards of a traditional first party exclusive (God of War, Last of Us) doesn't really make sense. It makes sense to put it out for free in October (World Series month, also the end of the baseball season) to milk the last bit of straggler interest before moving on to next year's game. Based on Mat Piscatella, the game performs very well at retail, and has been performing strongly as a service title for Sony.

For reference, 2K sold last year's NBA game for like $3 after last season. That's not a sign that the series is struggling, in fact it's the opposite, those are among the best selling games of the year. But when you are reliant on micro-transactions at some point it makes sense to just get the game in people's hands at whatever cost.

I think this year's was the highest selling ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if this news is what made it go to PS+ and they skip next year's to have time to develop for multiple consoles

I took "huge draw" as more like Uncharted, where Sony will get a boost in PS4 sales from the mere release of a trailer with people buying consoles in anticipation. Whereas MLB is maybe more "I have the console I like baseball, it's a good quality game I'll buy it." It sells well but is not a huge draw like TLOU or something.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Another company was given the license and tried to make a totally new game. It was called RBI Baseball and it wasn't good. 2K literally gave up on their game (after buying the exclusive third party license in retribution against EA for the NFL deal that killed NFL 2K) because it sucked.

You can't just stand up a new sports game overnight. EA has tried reviving NBA Live for years and can't get it right.

Y'all are crazy if you think this license was getting pulled. The MLB had no where else to go.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I took "huge draw" as more like Uncharted, where Sony will get a boost in PS4 sales from the mere release of a trailer with people buying consoles in anticipation. Whereas MLB is maybe more "I have the console I like baseball, it's a good quality game I'll buy it." It sells well but is not a huge draw like TLOU or something.
It's a draw for fans of baseball.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes the mlb license wasn't exclusive but no company was going to invest the money to make a good mlb game from scratch to compete with the show. The economics just aren't there. MLB had to start developing their own game because of it, and after like 6-7 yrs its still not a good game. MLB getting Sony to publish their game on other platforms was probably the best thing they could ask for. With nextgen coming, its probably only going to get more expensive to make the game. Sony also probably wanted to expand its reach as well.

Also this thread got big. Didn't realize there were so many baseball fans on resetera..... /s

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I guess MLB really got tired of the Sony exclusivity but then again, 2K bailing out didn't help.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This makes no sense. Where else would the MLB go?

2K? Their game was crap and they knew it, so they stopped.
EA? How has that NBA Live revival gone?
In house? MLB already tried that, nobody bought RBI Baseball.

Sony was the publisher already making a good game. They had the leverage and probably got a big check and years of exclusivity.

Nobody would have offered Sony a big check for a lucrative license. This makes no sense.
There's other publishers who would have jumped at an official license. More competent developers than MLB's in-house efforts.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's a 'huge draw' in that it moves a ton of consoles for Sony (which is probably why they are fine with it going multiplatform, the good outweighs the bad) but it's a consistently great performer for them, seems to be on an uptick, and is the kind of game that can see even more revenue growth through MTX. It's a very valuable part of their portfolio even if it doesn't move hardware the way God of War or SpiderMan do.