• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody would have offered Sony a big check for a lucrative license. This makes no sense.
There's other publishers who would have jumped at an official license. More competent developers than MLB's in-house efforts.

That's been available to them since the start of this gen and nobody bit. That's the reason MLB had to go in-house in the first place. The reality is that with cost of modern game development, the MLB license probably wasn't super attractive to other publishers, especially with Sony already owning so much of the pie.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Awesome. I always play on PS4 but i'd gladly play on X or the next iteration of Xbox. Hopefully we can get a better framerate on Xbox.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this was something the MLB requested and license rights were involved.

Those who haven't played The Show are going to love it! It's a strong contender for best sports game franchise.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder the deal starts in 2021 and by then, we next gen now.

So the tech might be really even by then.

The game will probably still be on PS4 in 2021, so I could see it being on Xbox One as well. If the goal is to maximize the audience, you might as well get the 40 million or whatever Xbox One owners in there as well.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
That's been available to them since the start of this gen and nobody bit. That's the reason MLB had to go in-house in the first place. The reality is that with cost of modern game development, the MLB license probably wasn't super attractive to other publishers, especially with Sony already owning so much of the pie.

the MLB series don't really sell that well. Certainly not in the region of the Maddens or NBA games.
the pie could be so much bigger than what Sony has eked out so far. Going multiplatform will help to do that.

RBI baseball was shite, but a more competent developer could well have given Sony a run for their money with a cross platform, crossplay game.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody would have offered Sony a big check for a lucrative license. This makes no sense.
There's other publishers who would have jumped at an official license. More competent developers than MLB's in-house efforts.

What part of "non-exclusive" license is so hard for people to understand?

ANYONE COULD ALREADY CALL UP THE MLB AND BUY A LICENSE.

It's REALLY HARD to make a good sports game. Everyone but Sony failed or gave up. There were no other publishers willing to invest in a baseball game. Nobody was "jumping at an official license".

Jesus fucking Christ Era, this narrative you're trying to force isn't there.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017

It's REALLY HARD to make a good sports game. Everyone but Sony failed or gave up. There were no other publishers willing to invest in a baseball game.

Self induced anxiety lol

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so i'm getting conflicting data -

was it exclusive in any way? like was it the only mlb game that could come out on playstation?

i can't find solid info, i just remembered it becoming the only mlb game like 6 years ago?

It was not exclusive , people in the this thread are trying to push the narrative that the license was exclusive. Era you know better then this

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the MLB series don't really sell that well. Certainly not in the region of the Maddens or NBA games.
the pie could be so much bigger than what Sony has eked out so far. Going multiplatform will help to do that.

RBI baseball was shite, but a more competent developer could well have given Sony a run for their money with a cross platform, crossplay game.

The MLB series does very well for Sony. And seems to be growing. Of course it's not in the Madden/NBA range, baseball is not as big a sport.

Yeah another developer could have given Sony a run for their money, but none really seemed interested, because creating sports games these days is resource intensive. It's not like the 16 bit or even 32 bit days were you could just grab some baseball or soccer game from Japan, reskin it and throw it back out on the market. Sony kept investing in The Show when other publishers were giving up on the market, and they have reaped the rewards.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The game will probably still be on PS4 in 2021, so I could see it being on Xbox One as well. If the goal is to maximize the audience, you might as well get the 40 million or whatever Xbox One owners in there as well.
That is true, wonder how big the leap will be through, hopefully better than 13-14 jump.

It's REALLY HARD to make a good sports game. Everyone but Sony failed or gave up. There were no other publishers willing to invest in a baseball game.

Yep, and unlike EA, no developer wanted to, 2K had MLB and NHL and they just dropped it, they only inherited the WWE licencing.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

was it exclusive in any way? like was it the only mlb game that could come out on playstation?

i can't find solid info, i just remembered it becoming the only mlb game like 6 years ago?
MLB games are expensive to make. Creating MLB game from scratch is an undertaking. When you have The Show absolutely crushing competition day in and day out, every other game that came out looks miniscule and "lazy dev!1!1!1!" compared to the Grand Slams that Sony has been hitting.

PS Vita actually sold units because of this game.

We had MLB 2K titles, but they were so basic compare to Sony's that they actually stopped making them and gave up.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Would it count if The Show wasn't exclusive but forced exclusive by other developers because no one wanted the MLB IP?

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The only exclusive MLB license was back in 2005 when 2K got the rights to make the only third party multiplatform game. That expired in 2012 and they stopped making MLB 2K because it sucked and wasn't selling well.

The MLB has never restricted first party development. Historically the big three all had their own games, but the story is the same there. The Nintendo and Xbox games weren't good. The Show was.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

From 2005-2012 Take Two had third party exclusive rights but platform owners were free to make console exclusive for themselves.

After Take Two decided not to renew no other publisher bother to try because Dev cost and competing with Sony.

So the MLB develop RBI in house, it was decent but barely.

Oct 25, 2017

...then why haven't they? Why was MLB forced to develop its own game in-house?

This just isn't true based on examining the market. If so many people were willing to jump at an official license, why didn't anyone do it? Why did 2K stop making baseball games? Why didn't Microsoft bring back Inside Pitch? Why didn't EA bring back MVP Baseball?

No one wanted the license but Sony, and MLB was totally dependent upon Sony to produce a licensed baseball game that people actually want to play.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if you actually like the medium. Or anything, really, but in cases like this, just if you're actually a fan of games at all.

I haven't had much to be happy about in gaming in a while. Seeing Microsoft and Sony in a suicide race to see who can devalue their platform the quickest while simultaneously somehow trying to hype people up for increasingly irrelevant next-gen consoles has certainly been an eye-opening experience.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The only exclusive MLB license was back in 2005 when 2K got the rights to make the only third party multiplatform game. That expired in 2012 and they stopped making MLB 2K because it sucked and wasn't selling well.

The MLB has never restricted first party development. Historically the big three all had their own games, but the story is the same there. The Nintendo and Xbox games weren't good. The Show was.
Hell EA had the MLB rights with Sony in the 90s and fucking Nintendo!

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had much to be happy about in gaming in a while. Seeing Microsoft and Sony in a suicide race to see who can devalue their platform the quickest while simultaneously somehow trying to hype people up for increasingly irrelevant next-gen consoles has certainly been an eye-opening experience.
Sony devaluing their platform by continuing to release MLB games on it

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
What does this have to do with the post you quoted, which was a response to you theorizing that Sony could cancel next year's version of the Show, even though they have already announced it?
becouse of this Post i edit my post above

Apparently the other game is not very good (RBI), I think for MLB it is smarter to have just one good game available anywhere else and they probably paid Sony to release MLB The Show on other platforms

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Konami actually makes good baseball games with Pro Baseball Spirits. I'm surprised that the MLB or Konami never got together to just reskin that franchise as a MLB game. But iirc Konami does have exclusive use of the NPB because they're a chief sponsor or something like that as well.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
becouse of this Post i edit my post above

That tweet seems to be operating under the same false assumption that many here have, that Sony had the exclusive MLB license, which they didn't. That particular theory doesn't really make much sense otherwise.

Here's an article regarding how RBI Baseball came about:
www.polygon.com

Exclusive: Why MLB decided to develop R.B.I. Baseball 18 itself

MLB Advanced Media started out managing websites. Now it’s developing its own video game

MLB literally had to turn to an in house team because they were hoping to have a multiplatform baseball game alongside The Show available for Xbox at the start of this console generation but couldn't find any interested partners.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
LOL at EA fishing.

Sure buddy. EA can get the license anytime they want, no one is stopping them. EA can't make a sports title for shit, and have a record of cancelling more sports titles than any other brand.

What a degenerate, being part of the industry and pretending to not know how it works.
ok i din't know how Business deal works
but what wrong with Him?

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Everyone can make a MLB game (with MLB authorization of course), Sony was just the only one who put resources to make a game (especially after 2K stopped)

Apparently the other game is not very good (RBI), I think for MLB it is smarter to have just one good game available anywhere else and they probably paid Sony to release MLB The Show on other platforms
Exactly. No one wanted to spend money on a game that won't be played, especially when a superior and far better supported product exists.

Licensed games, if garbage, devalues the brand. MLB don't want to devalue the brand any more than it already is.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So now we have Detroid, Death Stranding and in the future MLB which is even going to release on Xbox. Dreams is a likely candidate for PC and HZD being rumored to come to PC, too. Imagine all of that 2 years ago.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
That tweet seems to be operating under the same false assumption that many here have, that Sony had the exclusive MLB license, which they didn't. That particular theory doesn't really make much sense otherwise.

Here's an article regarding how RBI Baseball came about:
www.polygon.com

Exclusive: Why MLB decided to develop R.B.I. Baseball 18 itself

MLB Advanced Media started out managing websites. Now it’s developing its own video game

MLB literally had to turn to an in house team because they were hoping to have a multiplatform baseball game alongside The Show available for Xbox but couldn't find any interested partners.
well i didn't know so thanks to the Correction

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now we have Detroid, Death Stranding and in the future MLB which is even going to release on Xbox. Dreams is a likely candidate for PC and HZD being rumored to come to PC, too. Imagine all of that 2 years ago.
there's also annapurna licensing first party games such as journey/flower for release on pc/mobile.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
MLB games are expensive to make. Creating MLB game from scratch is an undertaking. When you have The Show absolutely crushing competition day in and day out, every other game that came out looks miniscule and "lazy dev!1!1!1!" compared to the Grand Slams that Sony has been hitting.

PS Vita actually sold units because of this game.

We had MLB 2K titles, but they were so basic compare to Sony's that they actually stopped making them and gave up.
welp, just makes me more interested in how this deal was made