• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's kind of weird to me how many see this as a "win" for Sony. While The Show series isn't a top-heavy exclusive like a Spider-Man, it's still a YEARLY release that consistently sells a hell of a lot of copies and is highly reviewed that is a must-buy exclusive for a segment of the gaming population.

MLB The Show sells well every year, but It isn't exactly the mega seller you think it is. Sells a couple million units lifetime and doesn't ever really crack top 20 on NPD for the year.

Across Switch, Xbox and PC, they'll sell millions more. It's a big win for Sony.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
It's not even about the unit sales, the online card system is basically free money, so get that onto more consoles and earn money year round.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MLB The Show sells well every year, but It isn't exactly the mega seller you think it is. Sells a couple million units lifetime and doesn't ever really crack top 20 on NPD for the year.

Across Switch, Xbox and PC, they'll sell millions more. It's a big win for Sony.
Yeah. Though I'm pretty sure The Show has the best ROI of any Sony title. Each iteration has a minuscule budget compared to something like GoW or TLOU 2.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is the increase of revenue by opening the game up to multiple platforms is greater than what the game is worth to Sony as an exclusive console seller. As you said MLB already consistently sells well every year and that's on a single platform. Surely Sony stand to make a ton more cash by launching on more platforms and opening the game up to a much wider player base.

I feel some of you are weirdly arguing against the value of exclusive games. For example, sure, God of War would sell better if it was on every platform, but do you really think it's worth it to do that by cheapening the value of owning a PlayStation? There's a reason exclusive games exist. They are there to be a selling point for you to buy in to the ecosystem of their $400ish console (or sell you a likely $500 one a year from now).

MLB: The Show series was always one of Sony's secret best exclusives. It releases EVERY YEAR to strong reviews and sells well and literally has an entire sports genre to itself. Few studios within Sony have sold as many games this gen. For a segment of the audience interested in baseball games, their console choice is almost made up for them. Like I said, MLB: The Show literally was the only game(s) I owned on a PS3 and was one of the major reasons I switched from 360 to PS4 this gen. Obviously, Resetera isn't a big sports game board, but this series is a bigger deal outside of this bubble.

Until I hear differently, I really think this was pushed on Sony by the MLB as they basically wanted to increase accessibility and they certainly have a lot of sway as the license is gigantic. Sure, Sony will probably get a lot of $ to make this happen, and they'll certainly sell more copies, but losing a major exclusive and a unique selling point going forward is something that is hard to put a price on. There's a reason exclusive games are THAT important. And for a segment of the population, their "automatic" decision to buy a PS5 just became a hell of a lot more complicated if it is available on Nintendo, Xbox and PC as well.

(And to be clear - I'm legit happy I have more options going forward. The series is great and it's awesome a wider audience will get to play it. Just this as a "win" from a Sony business standpoint doesn't pass the smell test for me.)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I've felt that Sony should try to make a push into more sports titles based on the success of The Show. Could they turn "The Show" brand into a tagline for more franchises like, "NBA The Show", "NHL The Show"?

What other major sports aren't on lockdown that Sony could potentially pick up a license for? Basketball? Hockey? Football? Cricket? Soccer? Something else?

Oct 27, 2017
What other major sports aren't on lockdown that Sony could potentially pick up a license for? Basketball? Hockey? Football? Cricket? Soccer? Something else?

EA are so dominant regarding hockey and football games with NHL and FIFA there'd be no point in Sony trying to go up against them. Guess they have the US footy marked locked down too with Madden. Do they still make NBA and Brian Lara's cricket games?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not doing the fanboy thing, i'm genuinely wonder since they have to have a baseline of features.
Ok good. My bad if I assumed wrongly.
How does hardware has anything to do with features ?
But more importantly, good ports showed that with enough care you just have to adapt a bit to different hardwares for each to work.
I'm sure it's fine.
If Alien Isolation could have such a good port, it's really mostly about care and talent put into each version. Optimization.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What are you even trying to argue with me? That no console maker should have exclusive games anymore?

Have you taken a moment to think about how this industry works? Sony makes a lot of money from PS+ subscriptions, accessory sales, royalties for each third party game sold, revenue from each bit of DLC sold on their store, etc, etc.

Do I really need to explain how all this works for you, and how exclusive games are used to draw people to their platform so they can make all that money?

I could conversely explain how the biggest games across all platforms (outside Nintendo's) are always third party multiplats but ok.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I've felt that Sony should try to make a push into more sports titles based on the success of The Show. Could they turn "The Show" brand into a tagline for more franchises like, "NBA The Show", "NHL The Show"?

"The Show" is a specific term used to describe Major League Baseball, long before the video game. It isn't applicable to the other sports.

FlyStarJay

Jan 7, 2018
I dont think MLB forced sony to make to game go multiplatform, i believe something was offered. After all does sony have the exclusive licence to the game? if i remember correctly, 2k also had the licence same time as sony few years back. If sony were being forced without getting anything in return from MLB, surely they could just drop the licence, its not like there are takers out there

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this really necessary? Again, sports games making far more money via more people being able to purchase in game microtransactions is really cut and dry in my opinion. This is a sports game we are talking about; A sports game that's greatly supported by the MLB (a league looking for ways to gain more interest in the league/sport). We aren't talking about a typical, exclusive, AAA non-yearly single player game.

I don't believe fora second that this wasn't sonys call. Everything they did over the Gen.

Guns up, helldivers, everybody's gone to the rapture, journey, flower, death stranding, predator, Detroit, beyond two souls and heavy rain and now this and ppl always try to spin it.

Sad but true but pc and maybe switch is everything you need going forward and it will be overall cheaper as well.

Sony don't want you to think that will bring everything over.

Everyone should think about it if they want to stay in an ecosystem where you pay more for the games and don't have access to everything.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Mobile versions of games like the uncharted card game are not what we are talking about. And death stranding/Detroit are not owned or developed by first party.

Ps now on PC is streaming only. Not the same as playing it locally and having full on PC version.
I know but not the same thing we are talking about. Sales potential wise native is more lucrative.

You said you will never see games like God of War on PC. Software sales and what is more lucrative has nothing to do with your original comment. I could say playing Death Stranding on the PC will be more lucrative but that wasn't the point.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
So this gets at the issue but not quite there. MLB did want Sony's MLB The Show on more platforms. However, they were never thinking about stripping Sony of the license as a first choice. This was more of a last choice nuclear option. MLB wanted the game on more platforms because of how well regarded the series is. They want this franchise, specifically, to reach more people. They didn't have much interest in starting over with someone else.

well yeah, I think this is the outcome MLB wanted. I think the threat of removing the license is something that they could have used to get this result, but certainly wasn't their first choice.
I don't believe fora second that this wasn't sonys call. Everything they did over the Gen.

Guns up, helldivers, everybody's gone to the rapture, journey, flower, death stranding, predator, Detroit, beyond two souls and heavy rain and now this and ppl always try to spin it.

All of those examples went to PC only. If the Show goes to Switch and/or XBox, then I think we can definitively say that was Baseball's call.
I originally thought about the MLB saying, "Go multi platform or you'll lose your chance to make an MLB game!" to scare Sony into being forced to do it, but the MLB simply offering Sony a lot of money to do it makes more sense to me now.

I strongly doubt MLB gave Sony a dime. That's not how it works. The License holder doesn't pay the game company to make the game, the game company pays the license holder. Sony's extra money will come from selling the game on other platforms.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I could conversely explain how the biggest games across all platforms (outside Nintendo's) are always third party multiplats but ok.

Seriously, since you seem to not understand how this industry works, allow me to explain it for a moment.

Sony gets about a $10 royalty for every single full priced third party game sold on a PlayStation console. They make an even bigger cut from any games or content sold on the PSN store. They also make lots of money from accessories that have very high profit margins. They make a nice profit from every PS+ subscription each year.

The way to maximize your profits from all those things is to draw the maximum number of people to buy a Playstation console. Exclusive games are the key way you do that.

Like all companies, Sony wants to make the most the most money it possibly can. If they saw an avenue to make more money by releasing all their exclusives on other platforms, they would. Just because Phil Spencer has decided all the Xbox games should be sold on PC does not mean that's the best way for the other console makers to go about things. To put this bluntly, the Playstation business is in a far stronger position than the Xbox business, so just because Xbox is doing something does not mean everyone else should be doing that thing.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I strongly doubt MLB gave Sony a dime. That's not how it works. The License holder doesn't pay the game company to make the game, the game company pays the license holder. Sony's extra money will come from selling the game on other platforms.

Hmm... you don't think the MLB even just told Sony that they'll pay money to help with advertising the game across multiple platforms? This is a big deal for both groups (Sony and MLB).

Again, I'm just guessing as to how this happened. As I said in a previous post, I'm looking forward to reading an article on how this came about as someone who follows up on sports gaming.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You said you will never see games like God of War on PC. Software sales and what is more lucrative has nothing to do with your original comment. I could say playing Death Stranding on the PC will be more lucrative but that wasn't the point.

My whole point was native, didn't know I had to spell it out. As in storefronts like steam, Epic Game store etc.

Like I said you will see Multiplayer games, and things like Collaboration titles that are from studios they don't own on other platforms. My point still stands, that you wont see Horizon, god of war on steam.

You can only play them via PSNOW which is streaming on PC not local installation. No one is using that on PC. Numbers are still very low and majority of sign ups I would say are on Playstation because of PS4 local install option.

MLB the show makes sense since I believe part of the deal seemed to be on possible losing the license. But it also makes sense since that game is a GAAS game, and something as to NBA 2K where it is the only real good MLB game option.

Playstation is literally on par with Nintendo when it comes to first party. I think they know the negative effect of putting their Single player titles like last of us on PC would possibly cannibalize their hardware sales for PLAYSTATION.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
"The Show" is a specific term used to describe Major League Baseball, long before the video game. It isn't applicable to the other sports.

Hmm, but according to the "very reliable" website Urban Dictionary, "the show" appears to also be a generic phrase to mean the big leagues

😃

Lol anyways, was just a thought. Sony already has 1 popular title under that name so if they branch into more sports then why not try to build some synergy.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017

Back when Sony made NBA games, they had the subtitle of The Life, and later, The Inside

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Some people's obvious defensiveness/uneasiness with the announcement is super misguided. This is a great all-around move for every party involved, and league-license titles can have a whole different set of considerations compared to standalone titles.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Some people's obvious defensiveness/uneasiness with the announcement is super misguided. This is a great all-around move for every party involved, and league-license titles can have a whole different set of considerations compared to standalone titles.
Yeah I hope it continues and eventually starts to exert pressure on Nintendo to follow suit. There are Sony games I would rather play on Switch, and there are Nintendo games I would rather play on PS5. I feel like both have found their hardware niche and people will continue to buy both for very different reasons.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Being that there aren't many alternatives and the fact that MLB The Show is good, I think this is a good thing for the IP. I don't really believe Sony will lose out on hardware sales. Also, more people playing isn't bad.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Seriously, since you seem to not understand how this industry works, allow me to explain it for a moment.

Sony gets about a $10 royalty for every single full priced third party game sold on a PlayStation console. They make an even bigger cut from any games or content sold on the PSN store. They also make lots of money from accessories that have very high profit margins. They make a nice profit from every PS+ subscription each year.

The way to maximize your profits from all those things is to draw the maximum number of people to buy a Playstation console. Exclusive games are the key way you do that.

Like all companies, Sony wants to make the most the most money it possibly can. If they saw an avenue to make more money by releasing all their exclusives on other platforms, they would. Just because Phil Spencer has decided all the Xbox games should be sold on PC does not mean that's the best way for the other console makers to go about things. To put this bluntly, the Playstation business is in a far stronger position than the Xbox business, so just because Xbox is doing something does not mean everyone else should be doing that thing.

There's a reason Jim Ryan is clearing all the old guard that still have the console war mindset.

There's a reason Jim Ryan has suddenly allowed Xbox Live login

There's a reason we're slowly seeing PlayStaton exclusives go to PC

There's a reason we're ARE going to see PSNow turn into Game Pass/xCloud

There's also a reason Sony is going to use Azure

Just saying.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a reason Jim Ryan is clearing all the old guard that still have the console war mindset.

Just saying.

Yea never change a running system. They take their customer for granted and it might lead to a bigger blow than ps3. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last console from Sony.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's naive to think Sony would not have preferred to keep the status quo of being basically the exclusive platform that releases MLB games that satisfies a certain demographic of the video game audience. I don't think Sony is ecstatic at the prospect of having to take one of their exclusive games and develop and release it on their competitors machines when they're in the business of trying to sell us consoles, and soon, $500ish consoles in the next year.

Obviously, I don't think the plan for MLB was to have basically a de-facto console exclusive home for baseball games, but that is how it basically played out as others have dropped out. MLB, being the license holder, has a gigantic amount of sway here, and I think basically strong-armed this on Sony as a condition going forward to keep the license. MLB: The Show, while a fantastic series, obviously isn't much without the MLB license. To be clear, they'll obviously reach a wider audience and will almost assuredly sell more games per year, but I think it's apparent the value as an exclusive is gigantic as they've released a YEARLY game for 20+ years now on PlayStation.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

Just saying.
I'm sorry, but you are drinking that Xbox kool-aid so hard it's not even possible to have a rational conversation with you on this topic. I tried.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Could be Sony's way of learning about the competition's tech pre-release. jk I'm happy for the MLB fans on PC and other platforms.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Just saying.

All those were happening before Shawn Left the company. He was against some policy's, but putting games that made sense on other platforms was something he was all for.
XBox live is for cross play.
Maybe gamepass comes to other consoles?

But as it is right now I doubt it. Sony's brand isn't the one that needs a lot of work.

Especially in the game department.

This cross pollination mainly with PC helps them for games like VR titles. MLB being on xbox/switch/pc will make Sony a lot of money.

Think of it in respect to Nintendo being the only place for Pokemon.

If you want the best MLB game out there it's the show for sure.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
My whole point was native, didn't know I had to spell it out. As in storefronts like steam, Epic Game store etc.

Like I said you will see Multiplayer games, and things like Collaboration titles that are from studios they don't own on other platforms. My point still stands, that you wont see Horizon, god of war on steam.

You can only play them via PSNOW which is streaming on PC not local installation. No one is using that on PC. Numbers are still very low and majority of sign ups I would say are on Playstation because of PS4 local install option.

MLB the show makes sense since I believe part of the deal seemed to be on possible losing the license. But it also makes sense since that game is a GAAS game, and something as to NBA 2K where it is the only real good MLB game option.

Playstation is literally on par with Nintendo when it comes to first party. I think they know the negative effect of putting their Single player titles like last of us on PC would possibly cannibalize their hardware sales for PLAYSTATION.
I didn't really need 5 paragraphs for you to explain what I already know, that I can in fact play games like God of War on the PC.