• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I think it's naive to think Sony would not have preferred to keep the status quo of being basically the exclusive platform that releases MLB games that satisfies a certain demographic of the video game audience. I don't think Sony is ecstatic at the prospect of having to take one of their exclusive games and develop and release it on their competitors machines when they're in the business of trying to sell us consoles, and soon, $500ish consoles in the next year.

Obviously, I don't think the plan for MLB was to have basically a de-facto console exclusive home for baseball games, but that is how it basically played out as others have dropped out. MLB, being the license holder, has a gigantic amount of sway here, and I think basically strong-armed this on Sony as a condition going forward to keep the license. MLB: The Show, while a fantastic series, obviously isn't much without the MLB license. To be clear, they'll obviously reach a wider audience and will almost assuredly sell more games per year, but I think it's apparent the value as an exclusive is gigantic as they've released a YEARLY game for 20+ years now on PlayStation.
There's nothing going to happen to PlayStation from this deal. For every franchise they lose exclusivity too, they'll get two more exclusive in exchange. Next gen we'll get brand new exclusive games.

the people that bought a PS4 just for mlb the show probably didn't do too much more than that as far investing in the ecosystem. And it's not like the Show won't still be on PS with exclusive content (you know that's coming). Plus all this is starting next gen with PS5. Everyone will be on equal footing.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
*raises hand*...I am using it on PC and enjoying it. #shrug

In terms of numbers they are very low on PC since it has not been on PC that long. I mean you get what I mean right? If you had a choice of playing games locally on your PC natively you wouldn't want that as opposed to streaming it?

Like wouldn't it be nice to launch it on the store/platform of your choice?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of numbers they are very low on PC since it has not been on PC that long. I mean you get what I mean right? If you had a choice of playing games locally on your PC natively you wouldn't want that as opposed to streaming it?

Like wouldn't it be nice to launch it on the store/platform of your choice?
I don't see why it would be an either or thing but personally I don't care. Streaming makes it easier so I don't have to wait and download stuff and having to deal with management...anything that makes my life easier is good. It also only matters what game I'm playing as well...if I'm trying to be competitive in it.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Had some time to think about it and here's how I see it going. MLB will launch day 1 on PS Now each year once this whole thing takes effect as it's one of the first party games Sony can put on there to bolster its offerings. At the same time it'll launch on a bunch of other platforms so they can still make bank off of sales.

It's a win-win scenario for them as they get to get their cake and eat it too. Their sub service gets a game that's desirable to millions and they still get full price purchases from the other platforms.

This is a good point. This is one of the only "big" games from Sony where a Day One launch through PS Now makes sense, since they apparently rake in a good amount of money through add-on purchases. They can use this as an incentive to bring people into PS Now, and still earn on the add-ons.

If a PC version isn't available (since the announcement specified "consoles"), then PC owners could still stream the game. Hopefully, by that time, Sony might enable people to buy add-ons for streamed games on PS Now (currently, add-ons only apply to downloaded PS Now games, not streamed games).

Honestly this is amazing. I have both Xbox and Playstation but PC is where Baseball games shine. It would be nice if Sony implemented cross-buy between PC and playstation. That would keep me in their store.

This is also a good point. It would be good for add-ons to work across platforms, like they do in some other popular games now.

I haven't had much to be happy about in gaming in a while. Seeing Microsoft and Sony in a suicide race to see who can devalue their platform the quickest while simultaneously somehow trying to hype people up for increasingly irrelevant next-gen consoles has certainly been an eye-opening experience.

You're talking about individual games like MLB The Show and Minecraft. These are specific games with specific situations where Sony and Microsoft clearly benefit from multiplatform strategy. Such strategies might not be applicable to other games that they produce. Most of their other big keystone franchises (e.g Gran Turismo, God of War, Uncharted for Sony; Halo, Gears of War, Forza for Microsoft) probably won't make a similar multiplatform jump any time in the foreseeable future, but a few of their smaller games might.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm probably late realizing this... but Sony's MLB The Show 2021 will playable on the Switch and Xbox, but not playable on the Sony PlayStation Vita.

Those previous Vita MLB versions looked great for a mobile version too.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense.

Times have changed. Doesn't make much sense to lock any game down to one platform anymore.