• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like people should stop jumping to conclusions.
Do you remember the unwarranted vitriol when Ryan was announced as head of PS?

I remember it. I think it's awesome he's the one shepherding this new stance, so I welcome it. These people are employees so if they state a particular stance, a lot of the times you have to look at who is actually in charge because it probably comes from them.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC

Be silly to think the timing of this MLB announcement and that leak are pure coincidence
Ohhh. Right. That's definitely happening soon. Tomorrow though? Sure.

Personally think Days Gone is also going PC route. Not sure where I heard that but I'm sticking to it.

I hope we also get Sunset Overdrive announcement.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, it really seems unlikely, this must've been the only way for them to hold onto the license.
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if going multiplat was a demand from the MLB for Sony to get a renewal. I'm sure a company like EA would have been all over the license in the event of their being a bidding war for the license.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if going multiplat was a demand from the MLB for Sony to get a renewal. I'm sure a company like EA would have been all over the license in the event of their being a bidding war for the license.
Yeah, Sony would stand to lose too much money if they refused to develop The Show for multiple platforms and let MLB take the license back.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

EA was free to create a game. I don't think Sony had an exclusive license. I could see a scenario where Sony worked out license exclusivity in exchange for putting the game on MP as a way to prevent someone like EA from coming and and taking a piece of their pie, considering the pie for MLB games probably ain't that big to begin with.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, Sony would stand to lose too much money if they refused to develop The Show for multiple platforms and let MLB take the license back.
I keep hearing that Sony had the licence because they were the only ones making a baseball game of this scale, is that not true?
I think this is a joint decision with Sony and MLB to take advantage of all the other baseball fans out there.

Oct 27, 2017
Are we talking about mlb the show, or leaks? Let's stay on topic.

They were able to cram mlb the show onto the vita reasonably intact, so I can see it working just fine on switch.

As for the other platforms, the players are as super-detailed as any top game today, and their live services took a big leap this year. Seems like they're ready for multiplat.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So now a formerly SONY exclusive sports game will come to Switch.

I'm very surprised that EA still refuses to do Madden in Switch.

Changed wording: Don't want to port beg.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
Asking exclusives to go away completely is like asking the Mandalorian to be on Netflix. Every deal like this is going to make sense in its own way but that doesn't mean "Sony is going to drop exclusives forever." It's about as likely as Microsoft putting Halo on Playstation.

If anything, I'd wager exclusives are going to become more important now than ever as every big tech company starts building its own gaming ecosystem.

Everyone sees what they want to see.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
So now a formerly SONY exclusive sports game will come to Switch.

And EA still can't give me Madden? Really?

I honestly wonder how long till MLB gets Legacy Edition'd on the Switch. Maybe theres more of a market for MLB games with a Nintendo audience dunno.

Support for the Vita version dried up real fast... but that was the Vita and this is the Switch so maybe they'll do it right.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this's Sony, or MLB forcing them to release it on more platform.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing that Sony had the licence because they were the only ones making a baseball game of this scale, is that not true?
I think this is a joint decision with Sony and MLB to take advantage of all the other baseball fans out there.

Sony essentially had exclusivity by default, because nobody was interested in creating a baseball game (probably because the bottom fell out of the sports market, licensing and creating realistic sports games on modern hardware became cost prohibitive, and most sports became single publisher dominated) so MLB created an in-house development team to create the RBI games to try and cater to the Xbox and Switch market themselves.

The narrative of MLB giving Sony some kind of ultimatum with the threat of snatching the license doesn't make a lot of sense, because they could have just gone to EA or anyone else to create a MP game for them.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Had some time to think about it and here's how I see it going. MLB will launch day 1 on PS Now each year once this whole thing takes effect as it's one of the first party games Sony can put on there to bolster its offerings. At the same time it'll launch on a bunch of other platforms so they can still make bank off of sales.

It's a win-win scenario for them as they get to get their cake and eat it too. Their sub service gets a game that's desirable to millions and they still get full price purchases from the other platforms.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had some time to think about it and here's how I see it going. MLB will launch day 1 on PS Now each year once this whole thing takes effect as it's one of the first party games Sony can put on there to bolster its offerings. At the same time it'll launch on a bunch of other platforms so they can still make bank off of sales.

It's a win-win scenario for them as they get to get their cake and eat it too. Their sub service gets a game that's desirable to millions and they still get full price purchases from the other platforms.

Ohhh never thought about this wow that would make sense

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This will literally ruin their gaming business, atleast mostly short term and especially for nintendo. Theres no logical reason for Nintendo to cross-platform

Nah, that's not how the market works. And Nintendo is already very cross-platform, on iOS. And they will make billions going more cross platform.

The old times are over.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i think this is probably closest to the truth. i doubt that MLB would give them an ultimatum *unless* they had another big studio lobbying for a licence

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony was the only one making a good baseball game

They never had an exclusive license. 2K bought an exclusive license when NFL went exclusive. This killed EA's game but the agreement did not exclude first party games and all the talent went to Sony (MS killed their first party sports to get EA on XBL). The 2K deal expired ages ago but that is really neither here nor there as they didn't make good MLB games (likewise the other attempts at competing w/ the show since)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
i think this is probably closest to the truth. i doubt that MLB would give them an ultimatum *unless* they had another big studio lobbying for a licence

If they did, they could have just handed that publisher the license, and collected licensing fees from 2 publishers instead of one. The ultimatum theory makes no sense.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
That's crazy but it makes all the sense in the world for Sony and the MLB. Baseball had such a limited market in games for a while even when they were multiplatform, but the Show has grown an audience by putting out a solid game year after year.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Thought I never see the day. One less reason to own a PS5. Hope this comes to PC now.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that's not how the market works. And Nintendo is already very cross-platform, on iOS. And they will make billions going more cross platform.

The old times are over.
They arent cross platform on IOS the way the poster implied. Mario Kart mobile isn't intefering with Mario Kart 8D for instance. It isnt the same as Microsoft literally putting ori on the switch.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I could see it being more of a mutual partnership. MLB wanted to go multiplatform but was still very happy with San Diego developing.

Would this be Sony's first published game on xb1/switch? (If they do publish)
Considering they won't even publish Death Stranding on PC I doubt they will have anything with Xbox and Switch ports.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Oh hell yeah. I've been wanting a (good) baseball game on the go. With some better made tutorials for newcomers, The Show would be perfect for the Swi

Banned.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is a really fantastic and extremely surprising announcement! I bought it pretty much every year from 08 to 15 or so, and then dropped off for some reason, but I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing it on switch, or maybe I'll just pick it up for PS5 by then!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this makes perfect sense from a business perspective. They will have paid a good chunk for the license, and it's not really a benchmark system seller, so I'd imagine it'd be far more lucrative for them to have it multiplatform.

On that note, I think Dreams is another title that suits being multiplatform, since it will live and thrive with the growth and reach of its community and their creations. It also isn't really enough of a tentpole system seller to warrant being tied solely to the PlayStation consoles, especially when it's a game that'll get better the more people are playing it (shared content creations).

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Wonder if this's Sony, or MLB forcing them to release it on more platform.
MLB did RBI which are not good games

MLB could licence to anyone (because there is no exclusive rights to Sony) but probably none was interested in making a baseball game

Sony did a successful franchise and that MLB 19 will be probably the best selling baseball game ever in US (tweet below)

So do you think MLB has forced Sony to do anything ? ^^

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Any company was free to make a MLB game so they didn't need to force Sony.

Back when Take Two sign the third party exclusive rights deal Platform owners were free to make exclusive games for there own consoles. Sony did, MS and Nintendo didn't.

Take Two third party deal ended around 2012, and The MLB decided to produce their own.

This is probably more of the MLB dropping RBI and paying Sony to bring The Show multiplatform