• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thread by Blue Moose through the adopt-a-user program.
----------------

I thought this might be a good audience for a baseball sim league I'm in, Minor League Baseball Club (MLBC). The league uses High Heat 2003 to simulate the games – sounds insane, I know, but the game has a great sim engine. We've been simming for over 10 years (well, I didn't join until almost 30 seasons in), and we're getting ready for the 93rd season.

The charm of the league is that it doesn't take an insane amount of time, nor does it bog you down with minutiae, but you get out what you put in. Build your own team under a financial system that includes contracts and, importantly, a league full of other real people to talk to and trade with. Fictional players are generated for drafting each off-season and fill 3 levels of minor leagues -- just enough depth to be fun and challenging, not too much to be overwhelming.

The website is by far the most complete, professional site I've ever seen for a sim league. It even has Facebook-style in-line chat. We have complete stats and standings archived from the very beginning. In a few more years, we'll have a deeper history than actual Major League Baseball! Check out the site here: http://www.mlbcsimleague.com

Also, instead of just being the Red Sox or the Cubs or the Yankees, you can relocate your team to any geographically appropriate minor league team past or present that has available graphics for the site. I'm the Bangor Blue Ox, an independent league team that played in Maine for 2 years in the '90s.

Most importantly, it's a league that is active (completely, 100% of the time, 3 sims a week, 3 website updates a week, no hiatuses) and has been for 10 years.

Software required: two simple, standalone programs. The sim engine is High Heat 2003, but that's not required for anyone except the simmers (you're welcome to use it, though!)

I could give a much longer pitch, but I'll stop here so that I don't discourage anyone thinking of it.

If you're interested, I'd be glad to answer any questions. Also, it's competitive, but people are very friendly. Nobody is looking to screw new members. Quite the opposite, we are just looking for people to round out the league. Right now is a great time to join because the next season begins on Monday November 20th. However, if there is still an opening, you can join any time.

It's completely free, by the way. And if anyone is curious, the two un-owned teams are South Bend Cubs and Binghamton Rumble Ponies. (Of course, you could move them elsewhere next season.)

Blue Moose

Nov 5, 2017
Thank you for posting this.

Even if nobody here is interested, maybe someone will find it interesting that a 15 year old PC baseball game from long-defunct 3DO is living on still today.

Blue Moose

Nov 5, 2017
With spring training just starting, and the latest season of our league (2107!) just around the corner, I was hoping a bump here might catch somebody's eye.

With the offseason business taken care of, the next two months are really just crafting your team's lineup. There are a few open, and it's a good way to see if it's something you might be interested in. Otherwise, the teams will just have interim GMs, so it's a great time to try it out!