• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I know he's only 26, but I don't see him improving. His poor gas tank and fight iq was exposed again. He totally froze when RDA stuffed that final takedown.
Luckily those are two of the easier things to work on. He 100% doesn't have the discipline yet and has been coasting on his ridiculous athleticism so far.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Lee had a better coach and/or fight IQ he would be a killer at 55 but he's notoriously undisciplined. Everyone can clearly see his physical talents are ridiculously above his opponents but he just cannot put the whole thing together. He should be champ now with a better camp and it's sad to see. Luckily he's still young but he needs a real coach. His shortcomings should've been coached out of him by now. I'll stand by it and say RDA didn't look "good" tonight, he just looked so much "better" and "smarter" if that makes sense.

He had a real coach who trained him from a young age, built him up and would adjust his gameplan and training strategy for every fight. Robert Follis committed suicide 18 months ago.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily those are two of the easier things to work on. He 100% doesn't have the discipline yet and has been coasting on his ridiculous athleticism so far.

If he ain't done it yet, after 15 UFC fights, after being so close to championship opportunities, im not sure why anybody would think he'd ever have that discipline. Athleticism goes quicker than you think sometimes.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It's less about age and more about experience. This was his 15th UFC fight, and we are seeing the same kinds of flaws repeated with little to no improvement. He is who he is. And I doubt he'll get much better as he hits his late 20s and exits his physical prime.

Maybe, MAYBE, if he switches up camps he can make the adjustments he needs to make. But I think you're right, this is who he is.

If he hasn't stopped coasting by now - when he's competing in a new weight class, when will he?

He had a real coach who trained him from a young age, built him up and would adjust his gameplan and training strategy for every fight. Robert Follis committed suicide 18 months ago.

Oh shit, I did not know that.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
He's 26 my guy. He 100% does not have a top flight MMA coach, not even close. How long he's been taught by X doesn't matter. You cannot get by on 1 or 1.5 skills in 2019, just not gonna happen. If you're talking about Cooper or anyone at current XCT then it's not just the facts. Which sucks because you can clearly see the talent with their fighters. And yeah, Follis was a huge hit, just look at Sam Stout and co, shits rough.
If he ain't done it yet, after 15 UFC fights, after being so close to championship opportunities, im not sure why anybody would think he'd ever have that discipline. Athleticism goes quicker than you think sometimes.
Eh, you can't say that as you can clearly see the talent in his fights, he just can't put it all together. He needs a top flight coach, he's 100% being hindered. Look at his contender fights, this and Ferguson, he looked great in both, but the same things happened in both. Dude needs a big change, he needs a Tito or Bobby Knuckles type change to bring his strengths out vs just relying on what he's got.

Also he needs to take some fucking time off and acclimate to 155 100%, dunno wtf he's thinking running at 170, he has no future there at the highest level.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
There is no shortage of talented guys in MMA, especially guys that rely a lot on athleticism/speed/power at the expense of fight IQ or technical ability. Maybe a camp change makes a difference, maybe it doesn't. I just don't think he's all that special from that regard. You could say that same thing about a couple dozen guys. He wouldn't be the first or only guy to not turn his natural talent into an elite mma career. In fact most probably don't.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no shortage of talented guys in MMA, especially guys that rely a lot on athleticism/speed/power at the expense of fight IQ or technical ability. Maybe a camp change makes a difference, maybe it doesn't. I just don't think he's all that special from that regard. You could say that same thing about a couple dozen guys. He wouldn't be the first or only guy to not turn his natural talent into an elite mma career. In fact most probably don't.

100%

Training with amazing strikers or wrestlers wont make your striking wrestling improve. It takes more than just going at it at a better camp with more experienced guys. You need to find a coach that speaks your language and gets your style.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone's opinion on UFC 238's card? I live in Chicago so I have an opportunity to go, but it's a lot of money. Is MMA a lot more fun live?

I have been to around 10 events, even worked a few when I was younger and would literally stand right next to the ring. In general, its not a great experience. Cage obscures too much vision and theres a lot of waiting around. If you decide to go, try getting a seat about 8 rows up, you want the top of the cage to be just under your eyeline.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just watched the UFC.
Kevin Lee needs a bit more time in the oven. Im sure in future he might be great, but right now Im shocked he has any hype behind him.
Megan Anderson on the other hand......yeesh that was not great

Oct 31, 2017
That fight was not a positive sign for Kevin Lee's prospects at 170. If your predominant skill set is wrestling with a powerful top game, you better be able to out wrestle RDA, because if not good luck with Kamaru Usman.

Oct 25, 2017
Lee is an inconsistent fighter who has no clear path to a belt. As I said earlier, he's now a gatekeeper. If I were him I would consider changing camps although I'm skeptical it will fix his problems.

I have been to around 10 events, even worked a few when I was younger and would literally stand right next to the ring. In general, its not a great experience. Cage obscures too much vision and theres a lot of waiting around. If you decide to go, try getting a seat about 8 rows up, you want the top of the cage to be just under your eyeline.

Thanks for this. I'm still tempted to at least see an event once in my life. I still might go with a buddy or buy a solo ticket for below face value the day of the event.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I thought Urijah was cut?

You guys see Yoel won 27 million against tGold Star Performance for tainted supplements?

How bad must their lawyer have been, all you'd have to do is point at Yoel.
If I was Yoel my retirement would start the moment that check clears.

People give Yoel shit but he's the first guy to sue and win against a supplement company for tainted supplements.

Hope he gets out of this hellish fight game, as much as I believe he is the rightful middleweight champ.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I was Yoel my retirement would start the moment that check clears.

People give Yoel shit but he's the first guy to sue and win against a supplement company for tainted supplements.

Hope he gets out of this hellish fight game, as much as I believe he is the rightful middleweight champ.

There is no way in hell I believe Yoel isn't juicing, there's also no way in hell he's seeing a cent of that payout if you look at the company: http://goldstarperformanceproducts.com I doubt they're worth $250,000.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Good, fuck these little shady ass supplement companies. Hope that scares the rest of them. Whatever Romero gets it'll bankrupt them which is the best lesson out of this.

Friend Besto

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm wondering is why is Yoel using supplements from small time companies? Surely he's big enough to go for the big brands. I have no idea how this all works though.

Nov 14, 2017
Don't know about Yoel specifically, but it isn't unheard of for athletes (or their entourage) to know exactly which supplements to have on hand to submit for testing in the event they fail a test themselves.