• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was a good PPV. One of the better ones this year. May even be the best one thus far, but can't say with confidence. Think only one fight disappointed. Also not interested in Max going to 155 yet. Don't see him being able to offer anything to the likes of Khabib or Ferguson, and that's the kind of fights you'd have to arrange for a current champion. Rather than see him get his ass beat, I'd like him to stay and defend the title a few more times. Dude's only got 2 defences so not sure what's got into the Tomato's ass. He seems to have no issue making weight so let him actually build a legacy in the division he's competed in for so long. Moicano, Mendez, and Zombie are all fights I'd like to see in the future.

It's different for defending champs.

It's a whole different level of scrutiny and pressures.

Aldo tore through the 145 division at a young age, crushing older generations, beating his own generation, and holding others off at bay.

Max needs to do the same. He beat the old guard. Now he needs to keep defending his strap against new guard. I don't think he needs to reach 7 or 8 title defences to do it, but I certainly think he needs more than 2.

Don't forget Aldo was undefeated for 10 years. That's twice as long as Max is undefeated now and Aldo did it over 18 fights.
These be the facts.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Holm is a very average fighter
980x.gif

I think you need to redefine your standard of 'average'.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's different for defending champs.

It's a whole different level of scrutiny and pressures.

Aldo tore through the 145 division at a young age, crushing older generations, beating his own generation, and holding others off at bay.

Max needs to do the same. He beat the old guard. Now he needs to keep defending his strap against new guard. I don't think he needs to reach 7 or 8 title defences to do it, but I certainly think he needs more than 2.

Don't forget Aldo was undefeated for 10 years. That's twice as long as Max is undefeated now and Aldo did it over 18 fights.
And pulled out of a lot of them, which completely prolonged his reign.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was a good PPV. One of the better ones this year. May even be the best one thus far, but can't say with confidence. Think only one fight disappointed. Also not interested in Max going to 155 yet. Don't see him being able to offer anything to the likes of Khabib or Ferguson, and that's the kind of fights you'd have to arrange for a current champion. Rather than see him get his ass beat, I'd like him to stay and defend the title a few more times. Dude's only got 2 defences so not sure what's got into the Tomato's ass. He seems to have no issue making weight so let him actually build a legacy in the division he's competed in for so long. Moicano, Mendez, and Zombie are all fights I'd like to see in the future.

These be the facts.

Max ran through his division eliminating contenders while the Aldo-McGregor debacle was going on. He has already tied the win streak of Gsp, Jones and mighty mouse and would have been champ way earlier if not for the mcgregor era. Max already has every striking record out there, even if he has only defended twice. Belts are just props anyway. Lets get him into meaningful fights instead just throwing people at him because of "rankings "

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
'Average' fighters go up a weight class and take Cyborg the distance these days, okay..
Apparently. Her record and performances in the ufc are very mediocre. Her only notable win is exposing Rousey's awful striking. There just isn't much talent at 135, and she has lost to every step up in comp.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Holloway vs Ferguson could be one for the ages. However, Ferguson should get a crack at Khabib first. But who knows when Khabib will be back.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I think Holloway vs Ferguson could be one for the ages. However, Ferguson should get a crack at Khabib first. But who knows when Khabib will be back.

Yeah, if Khabib can't fight Tony soon I see Dana piling loads of money at them both to make that fight happen. There's nothing at 145 for Max, the big fights are all at 55 and he deserves them.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently. Her record and performances in the ufc are very mediocre. Her only notable win is exposing Rousey's awful striking. There just isn't much talent at 135, and she has lost to every step up in comp.
She'd have beaten de Randamie (who turned tail and ran as soon as Cyborg came calling) and became the first 2-Division Female Champion if it weren't for awful reffing, pretty decent track record for an 'average' fighter 🤷‍🤷‍🤷‍

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Max ran through his division eliminating contenders while the Aldo-McGregor debacle was going on. He has already tied the win streak of Gsp, Jones and mighty mouse and would have been champ way earlier if not for the mcgregor era. Max already has every striking record out there, even if he has only defended twice. Belts are just props anyway. Lets get him into meaningful fights instead just throwing people at him because of "rankings "
Fights against guys like Moicano, Mendez, Zombie etc. are meaningful. Holloway hasn't fought an elite wrestler yet and Mendez is right there. Cleaning out the old guard on his way up doesn't suddenly mean he should be looking at a different division when there are several interesting match-ups still remaining for him in his division. Even Edgar would be a good fight despite me thinking Holloway would win that.

Holloway has nothing to offer the top lightweight fighters at the moment and that's who he'd have to face if they were to put him in there with them. Khabib would absolutely maul the dude. Ferguson is bigger, adept to pressure fighting, and has a significant reach advantage. This would go poorly for him too. Like about the only interesting match-up at lightweight for him between the top contenders would probably be Conor due to their history, and frankly, I don't see Holloway winning that either. His style is pretty perfect for Conor even now. And Conor has more interesting fights than a rematch with Holloway.

The dude is 27. Before they start looking at "super fights", some of which he'd have no business fighting in the first place, he should clear out the fighters in his division.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
She'd have beaten de Randamie (who turned tail and ran as soon as Cyborg came calling) and became the first 2-Division Female Champion if it weren't for awful reffing, pretty decent track record for an 'average' fighter 🤷‍🤷‍🤷‍
She very clearly lost to GDR because she didn't actually start fighting till the 4th or 5th. Had nothing to do with the reffing. She also struggled with Bethe until she landed that head kick.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Fights against guys like Moicano, Mendez, Zombie etc. are meaningful. Holloway hasn't fought an elite wrestler yet and Mendez is right there. Cleaning out the old guard on his way up doesn't suddenly mean he should be looking at a different division when there are several interesting match-ups still remaining for him in his division. Even Edgar would be a good fight despite me thinking Holloway would win that.

Holloway has nothing to offer the top lightweight fighters at the moment and that's who he'd have to face if they were to put him in there with them. Khabib would absolutely maul the dude. Ferguson is bigger, adept to pressure fighting, and has a significant reach advantage. This would go poorly for him too. Like about the only interesting match-up at lightweight for him between the top contenders would probably be Conor due to their history, and frankly, I don't see Holloway winning that either. His style is pretty perfect for Conor even now. And Conor has more interesting fights than a rematch with Holloway.

The dude is 27. Before they start looking at "super fights", some of which he'd have no business fighting in the first place, he should clear out the fighters in his division.

If you don't want to get on the blessed express that's on you fam. It is what it is.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Holloway is/was amazing. He's like a more talented and aggressive Diaz brother without the holes. I'm still wary of his ground game as we haven't seen it really tested. He got tooled by an injured Conor but that was ages ago. Not really interested in seeing him destroy Mendes. Frankie would also get absolutely mauled imo. I think jumping into the cage with Khabib at this point in time is a mistake but I'm all for it. Tony even better. For some strange reason, I see Holloway x McGregor II becoming a reality in 2019.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I really wish grapplers would grapple more, you know, play to their strengths.
I was waiting for some Ortega ground game though to be fair Holloway has great defense.

Idk why this seems to be an ongoing problem for some really great grapplers.
Rousey completely tossed out her judo for some god forsaken reason and got stomped.
Maia has shit for stand up but decides it's good enough and gets turned into a punching bag.
Ortega thinks he can stand with Holloway instead of putting that effort into getting the fight to the ground.
Even GSP started getting beat up when he tried to strike more, but he was able to edge out some close decisions.

Khabib better stick to wrestling.

That was awesome when Holloway turned it up in the 4th round. Holy shit he has cardio for days. I thought the ref might step in for a standing tko.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
The only way Ortega has a chance at beating Holloway right now is if they're wearing gis

Ortega should get himself over to AKA and beg DC and Khabib to coach him, evolve his wrestling and dirty boxing/clinching. He's a big dude at FW, his goal should be to stun opponents and take them down/push them into the fence. His only plan for getting Max down seemed to be to out-strike him which was deluded at best.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The only way Ortega has a chance at beating Holloway right now is if they're wearing gis

Ortega should get himself over to AKA and beg DC and Khabib to coach him, evolve his wrestling and dirty boxing/clinching. He's a big dude at FW, his goal should be to stun opponents and take them down/push them into the fence. His only plan for getting Max down seemed to be to out-strike him which was deluded at best.

I think he really believed he could catch him or out-strike him. Maybe KO'ing Frankie went to his head.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dana continuing to be a complete cunt when it comes to T-Wood. I hope he doesn't lose that title until he retires just to piss Dana off.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
One Championship on the rise. Seemingly out of nowhere. Good for them! More competition is always good and Bellator is garbage.

Hopefully they have a good working relationship with the UFC and they swap fighters out every now and then.

Lol Dom. Just retire already.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Would've liked to have seen Dom and TJ go at it one last time but it doesn't look like he'll ever fight again now

😔

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Cain's only 3 years older and doing the same

When your body's breaking down, it's breaking down. Sticking in the game longer is just being in denial of it. Hopefully they have the sense to eventually walk out while they can walk. That's looking unlikely

No its true, I can just understand why some of these guys hang on by any thread as long as they can. It's got to be tough to come to the realization that you are done doing the thing you love doing, and that has been your career, in your early to mid 30s. I imagine that's a bit of a mind fuck.