• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I'm sad about that last fight. Overall really shitty card but I'm a rose Stan so I had to buy it. I hope they get to run it back Rose is great

Oct 26, 2017
United States
First of all, wasn't that illegal? Second, how the fuck did that even happen? How can Rose allow that to happen?
Little fuzzy here.

"A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet towards the sky with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent's body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas."

Rose wasn't in a submission attempt on the ground, so it mustve been ruled a submission midair and was therefore legal. However, I still believe that Andrade has control of Rose's body and that I should have been illegal.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She went for a legal throw and Rose not letting go of the kimura to defend it lead to her landing like that.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
She threw her directly onto her head and she could have very easily broken her neck. I've never been more freaked out by the sport. This is fucked up.

If Rose just retired I wouldn't blame her, especially if it turns out Andrade is juicing (which I really think she is).

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i was legit shook (ugh) for the first 10 seconds after the slam landed, never felt that way watching MMA before

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
When it was stopped I thought it was because it was illegal, then they said new champ, so I was just confused.

Amazingly Rose looks absolutely fine. She is interesting to read.... like I feel like any other fighter would have been mad that the fight was immediately stopped.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks to see Rose go out like that, she was destroying Andrade at range

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rose is 100% at fault for how she fell. She kept the grip longer than it's safe, and actually the grip is what caused her neck to rotate down instead of out. Not illegal or a bad thing to do by Andrade.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Rose is 100% at fault for how she fell. She kept the grip longer than it's safe, and actually the grip is what caused her neck to rotate down instead of out. Not illegal or a bad thing to do by Andrade.

The rules don't make any sense then. A spike is a spike, I thought the whole point of making it illegal is because it could easily be fatal. So it would have been ok that she killed her because Rose was holding onto a grip a certain way?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The rules don't make any sense then. A spike is a spike, I thought the whole point of making it illegal is because it could easily be fatal. So it would have been ok that she killed her because she was holding onto a grip a certain way?

You can't penalize the offensive fighter because the defensive fighter is putting themselves in a bad position.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Rose had the right game plan but Andrade drew her in with the rushes and then into the clinch. The leg kicks were key because they did hurt and slowed her down. People are correct in saying that Rose was winning until she wasn't though. Andrade was overwhelmed by the technique and speed of Rose, but sheer strength and toughness will sometimes beat technique. All Andrade needed was to grab a hold of Rose or for Rose to grab her. Rose, unintelligently, decided to clinch and hold on to the submission (incorrectly as DC and Masoyama pointed out), and she paid for it.

Huge props to Andrade and her corner for realizing that Rose was slowing down by the leg kicks.

Rose is (was?) dealing with depression and overall mental health issues right? If she still is then I'm not surprised that she said that. Being a champ has a ton of pressure for Rose and I'm not sure whether losing the belt or retaining the belt would add more or less pressure for her mental health.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The rules don't make any sense then. A spike is a spike, I thought the whole point of making it illegal is because it could easily be fatal. So it would have been ok that she killed her because Rose was holding onto a grip a certain way?

Yeah pretty much. Protect yourself at all times is rule number 1. MMA is dangerous, tons of way to die. A fighter has no responsibility to control how their opponent reacts or comed down during a slam.

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo

The way I see it (and I'm probably hilariously wrong here and will get quoted a bunch of times) is that this is akin to someone throwing a big knee to the body of another fighter, but before the knee can land, the other fighter drops to his knees and takes the knee to the face. That would be illegal, but the guy who took the knee to the face put himself in that position. The intent wasn't for an illegal knee, so instead it's this gray area where the knee was technically legal.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Yeah pretty much. Protect yourself at all times is rule number 1. MMA is dangerous, tons of way to die. A fighter has no responsibility to control how their opponent reacts or comed down during a slam.

But Andrade made that decision to spike her, there's no way that was just an accident. You think she was thinking about the rules in the moment? If Rose wasn't going for a grab and then Andrade threw her the same way anyway, the fight gets called off for an illegal move?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But Andrade made that decision to spike her, there's no way that was just an accident. You think she was thinking about the rules in the moment? If Rose wasn't going for a grab and then Andrade threw her the same way anyway, the fight gets called off for an illegal move?

Andrade was just trying to slam her to the ground (like she did earlier). She wasn't aiming to spike her, that was just the consequence of Rose not letting go.

And yes, if Andrade spiked her on her head with complete control and Rose wasn't attempting the kimura, it would have been illegal.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Throwing someone on their neck or head is legal.

It is illegal to restrain your opponent, your opponent had no grip on you and you throw them vertically on their head or neck.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Andrade was just trying to slam her to the ground (like she did earlier). She wasn't aiming to spike her, that was just the consequence of Rose not letting go.

I don't believe that it was unintentional. It was directly on her head and she had full control, I legit thought Rose broke her neck in the replay.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She absolutely did not have full control.

Rose had her left arm locked up. That's not full control.

Even more, rose actually changed the trajectory because of the grip. Rose would have rotated past the center line and be thrown on her ribs.if she had let go.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Glad Rose is walking after that sick slam, after some rest I hope she gets a rematch or is in contention and not needing to take a long layoff. That interview looked questionable, I thought they suppose to not interview fighters after being KO like that? Must of been wrong I guess

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is the exact wording of the rule:

A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet towards the sky with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent's body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas.

It's not a grey area, it's literally written into the rule.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Rose is walking after that sick slam, after some rest I hope she gets a rematch or is in contention and not needing to take a long layoff. That interview looked questionable, I thought they suppose to not interview fighters after being KO like that? Must of been wrong I guess

That was all on shitty Rogan after he interviewed a heavily concussed Econoreem. Since he's not there..... Well, you just saw what happened.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Alright then, still think its weird but it is what it is.

They're saying Rose might take 6 months off because of the neck. I say she gets another title shot when she's back because of how flukey this shit was, but in that time I think JJ beats Andrade again.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Alright then, still think its weird but it is what it is.

They're saying Rose might take 6 months off because of the neck. I say she gets another title shot when she's back because of how flukey this shit was, but in that time I think JJ beats Andrade again.

I think no matter what Rose should fight Andrade again belt or no belt by the time she recovers. Before that slam she was winning that fight, just made a bad decision to hold that submission that cost her the fight.

I hope she returns before the year is done though. Good fighter

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rose looked better than she ever has before she got slammed. I'd favor her in a rematch.

But JJ gonna angle to get that Andrade fight before Rose gets a chance at it. And the UFC will probably give it to her.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lima's only losses in the last decade are to Rory, Askren, and Koreshkov (and he came back to beat Koreshkov in September).

UFC needs to grab him.