• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dan Roan
@danroan

"There's a clear agenda to this, I've seen it many times. I've seen it with Raheem Sterling. I've seen it with Lewis Hamilton. I can't win whatever I do." Here's Farah accusing media of racism when asked about the Salazar scandal at his extraordinary appearance in Chicago y'day

On the one hand, I don't doubt that he has been the victim of racist journalism in his time. On the other hand, his argument here looks thin. I hope he isn't a doper but his association with Salazar has to be at least suspect.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I like Farah but you work for several years with a coach who was banned for doping offences and you're clearly going to be questioned, rightly or wrongly. I'm not sure how much you can really put down to racism.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What is this about Lewis?
He gets criticised for having fun away from F1 whereas the older British F1 drivers were celebrated for drowning in drink and women. Lewis gets shit for changing his hair style and hanging around with other black people. "He's too distracted, needs to take F1 more seriously". You don't hear it so much now he's proved he's one of the greatest of all time.

I believe similar for Sterling.

That said, Mo has been associated with Salazar for a long time so there is a non race factor to some of the accusations. I won't deny it's a factor though, I feel the British press would be more inclined to defend if he was white.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think he's just referring to the way the UK tabloid press talk about Hamilton and Sterling, publishing negative stories about their lifestyles in a way they wouldn't with white sportsmen.

I don't think the press has ever actually went after Mo for his lifestyle, have they? Maybe at the very start of his career when he freely admits he was a bit of a lad but then he wasn't exactly a household name.

There's no two ways around it, his long association with Salazar is problematic, and truthfully it was problematic at the time as well but ignored.

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the press has ever actually went after Mo for his lifestyle, have they? Maybe at the very start of his career when he freely admits he was a bit of a lad but then he wasn't exactly a household name.

There's no two ways around it, his long association with Salazar is problematic, and truthfully it was problematic at the time as well but ignored.

AFAIK, the press have always been kind to Mo - at least I don't remember much negativity. I could be wrong though, I don't read those papers. I think he's right that black sportsmen don't always get a fair shake, Sterling and Hamilton being good examples. Raising that here though without really addressing the valid concerns about his relationship with Salazar does not look great imo.

Jul 19, 2018
I'd be absolutely gutted if it ever came out that Mo was doping, always loved watching his races. He's kidding himself if he doesn't think his association with salazar is suspicious at best.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I have no doubt he experiences racism in the sport and media. That doesn't make the questions surrounding his connection to a noted doper any less valid.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Mo, you're on your own here. Want to believe that your form and records are all legit. But working with Salazar, then decamping to Ethiopia for training (and Jama Aden just so happens to be in town) ain't a good look.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
The comparison to Hamilton is absolutely hilarious.

Lewis has never been under suspicion of doping. It's a ridiculous comparison and he's devaluing actual racism in the media but bringing him and Raheem up.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Loved Mo the runner but never, ever took to Mo the person. Always something about him that annoyed me, even during the 2012 Olympics hysteria.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
He's only missed two drug tests in 2010/ 2011. Wasn't uncommon at the time, especially with the way the anti-doping agency in the UK works.

I'd be absolutely gutted if it ever came out that Mo was doping, always loved watching his races. He's kidding himself if he doesn't think his association with salazar is suspicious at best.

Unless Salazar rats him out... He'll be fine.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure he has had racist abuse, no doubt but he is pretty much loved by the press and people over the years. His association is suspect as it is with all other athletes and teams that are associated with him, he is amazingly successful so it's a given. Not saying he is like Armstrong but there is an aura, a level, size you reach that can save you, it happens and will happen again.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Lewis Hamilton has, as far as I know, never been accused of doping and is one of the most successful racing drivers (in all avenues he's currently exploring, even aside from racing) of all time.

Dude should be ashamed of himself to draw him into this.

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lewis Hamilton has, as far as I know, never been accused of doping and is one of the most successful racing drivers (in all avenues he's currently exploring, even aside from racing) of all time.

Dude should be ashamed of himself to draw him into this.

I don't think that's what he was saying

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I've never seen him speak outside of congratulatory brief chats at the roadside post-win. He comes across as someone desperatley trying to deflect a question that is making him noticeably more animated as he realises it isn't going away. Of course this could entirely be down to him wanting to keep his focus, but there's an 'empty jar on its side and crumbs everywhere' vibe.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, usually when there are doping allegations they turn out to be true, whatever skin color the person has.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always got the impression from the UK press the push Mo Farrah as the great unifyer. The good muslim, which is of course racist but in a diffferent way than he implies.

If he was doing any other discipline than the marathon I'd be convinced he was on something, I had the feeling that the marathon was more ... honest. Probably massively naive on my part.

OP
OP
Geoff

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, usually when there are doping allegations they turn out to be true, whatever skin color the person has.

I guess there aren't really any accusations per se against Mo. No-one is saying they saw him dope, there are no bad tests, most of it is just his association with Salazar (there is some other stuff too but can't remember what it is).

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Him and Bradley Wiggins will both have their medals and knighthoods taken away from them in the near future. When it comes to doping in sport there is no smoke without fire.

It was in 2011 that Farah's career exploded and it coincided exactly with him moving to Oregon to work with Salazar. I do not believe for one second that he set so many records and won so many medals by working with Salazar and not doping. Doping was Salazar's business.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Him and Bradley Wiggins will both have their medals and knighthoods taken away from them in the near future. When it comes to doping in sport there is no smoke without fire.

It was in 2011 that Farah's career exploded and it coincided exactly with him moving to Oregon to work with Salazar. I do not believe for one second that he set so many records and won so many medals by working with Salazar and not doping. Doping was Salazar's business.

Wiggins was at least smart and retired relatively quickly.