• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
PhantomKnight

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The final fight felt rushed, but it was a good finale for the season, amazing animation.
So far Mob is my aoty, and with this season cements it as one of my top 10 anime.
Looking forward to OVA and might read the manga.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie I thought that OVA was a joke at first.

The OVA being an original story(?) is weird though, considering a lot of folks here were saying it'd be a stretch to make a 3rd season out of the remaining material.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The final fight did feel rushed, which is a shame. I was hoping things were going to go in a different direction when Mob said that he "gave up." Thought it was a point where he actually admitted to not being stronger than the bad guy, and that the confrontation would ensue in a different way. It was still cool, but using so much of your power that you blow yourself up is kind of a cop-out. It didn't even involve the hidden darkness inside Mob, which would have been appropriate here.

I found the aftermath to be a bit weirdly paced, too. The state of the destroyed area wasn't really addressed, only to be focused by the giant broccoli Mob made replacing the explosion. It's fun looking back at the openings (even going back to season 1's, which have references to season 2) with some of these in mind.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The state of the destroyed area wasn't really addressed,
They have psychics to fix this though, Mob fixed the school with no trouble when he fought Teru. It's just a thing they can just do cause it isn't brought up in the manga either. It does sorta defeat all feeling of urgency when shit is getting blown up but it's whatever really.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
The final fight did feel rushed, which is a shame. I was hoping things were going to go in a different direction when Mob said that he "gave up." Thought it was a point where he actually admitted to not being stronger than the bad guy, and that the confrontation would ensue in a different way. It was still cool, but using so much of your power that you blow yourself up is kind of a cop-out. It didn't even involve the hidden darkness inside Mob, which would have been appropriate here.

I found the aftermath to be a bit weirdly paced, too. The state of the destroyed area wasn't really addressed, only to be focused by the giant broccoli Mob made replacing the explosion. It's fun looking back at the openings (even going back to season 1's, which have references to season 2) with some of these in mind.
All will be addressed in season 3.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
What a great ending. Yeah, the fight wasn't that great, but this has never been a series about scripted shonen fight scenes.

The emotional closure was fantastic though. Mob has truly taken up the mantle of Aang and Steven Universe in deeming everyone worthy of salvation.

Now to sit idle until One Punch Man returns next week...

Nov 1, 2017
Gonna be hard for anything to top this for AOTY. The whole season was a huge improvement over what was already a great first season. For me the highlight has to be the Reigen and Mob arc in the middle. They just constantly bucked any expectations I had for the genre, and kept me wanting more. Sad that Mob Mondays are over, but I'm optimistic we're gonna be getting a Season 3.

May 26, 2018
What a great ending. Yeah, the fight wasn't that great, but this has never been a series about scripted shonen fight scenes.

The emotional closure was fantastic though. Mob has truly taken up the mantle of Aang and Steven Universe in deeming everyone worthy of salvation.

Now to sit idle until One Punch Man returns next week...

giphy.gif

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The fact that they didn't even try to give us a proper ending here more or less confirms that Season 3 is going to happen.

And good thing too, because this will definitely be my AOTY. I loved the resolution and Serizawa turning over a new leaf in the end.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hoped the fighting sequence would be more protracted and the ending was good. It really turned out to be a season of subverted expectation which what the series has been about.

I just wanted this to happen:

QCcYnMB.gif

I hope we get to know more exactly what he becomes when he breaks.

May 26, 2018
Hoped the fighting sequence would be more protracted and the ending was good. It really turned out to be a season of subverted expectation which what the series has been about.

I just wanted this to happen:

QCcYnMB.gif

I hope we get to know more exactly what he becomes when he breaks.

Even that was a cheat from the TV show. He never actually ???'d because he can't do it consciously.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
The fight was a bit rushed and its unfortunate that they 'cut' a great detail from the manga. It was still there, but it wasn't really called out so it would be easy to miss out on it.

In the manga, Mob rotates through his past 100%s during the fight. You saw him crying of course and go into shonen-courage mode in the underground section but it was much more explicit in the manga. So Mob would go from 100% Anger to 100% Sadness to 100% Courage, etc. IIRC the bit right at the end when he's trying to contain the explosion is supposed to be 100% Compassion.

May 26, 2018
The fight was a bit rushed and its unfortunate that they 'cut' a great detail from the manga. It was still there, but it wasn't really called out so it would be easy to miss out on it.

In the manga, Mob rotates through his past 100%s during the fight. You saw him crying of course and go into shonen-courage mode in the underground section but it was much more explicit in the manga. So Mob would go from 100% Anger to 100% Sadness to 100% Courage, etc. IIRC the bit right at the end when he's trying to contain the explosion is supposed to be 100% Compassion.

They did this in 5, too. Skipping certain beats. I wish they had a more flexible range for episode runtimes.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
There was a moment where one of the background characters in this episode looked a hell of a lot like a character that would be in season 3 so I really wouldn't worry guys.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So there will actually be a season 3? I thought people said that there wouldn't be enough stuff to adapt after this one to make a full season.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
The season ended about how I expected and went out on a good note, but I really hope there's more to come after the OVA.

Crunchyroll also posted a translation of the OVA announcement. Sounds like it's confirmed to be a new story and not an adaptation of anything from the manga:
It may have fallen on April 1, AKA the worst (or best?) day to be on the Internet, but the latest news about the Mob Psycho 100 anime is very real. According to the official website—which notes that this is not an April Fools' Day prank—the series is getting an original OVA with creator ONE handling the concept.

The OVA will have Yuzuru Tachikawa back as director at anime studio BONES, and a screening event is planned for July 7. Cast members—including lead actor Setsuo Ito, as well as Takahiro Sakurai and Takanori Hoshino—will be on hand for the screening along with theme song performers sajou no hana.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone on reddit compiled all of the eyecatches together. Goddamn these were fantastic

Damn that would've been great, I was expecting something like 100% Joy to pop up when he was enjoying his powers too much

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really like the turn this season took in the last couple of episodes but it was alright.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

I felt it was obvious enough that he was cycling through his emotions at the end, but I guess it wouldn't have hurt to make it more obvious and clear. Maybe it would have seemed too cartoonish to have his emotions flip so fast in animation, especially since as you said it was already rushed?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 started off strong, but I didn't really care for the last arc. It felt too conventionally shonen and generic. It's probably the least interesting the show has been so far.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
That fight went by pretty quick compared to what I remembered from the manga. Still enjoyed it for the payoff.

Hopefully the OVA is out sooner rather than later, then another 2-3 year wait until maybe season 3.

Until then, I can finally not look forward to mondays.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anime of the year. Instantly into my top5.

I breezed through seasons 1 and 2, and it was such a great ride, i'm sad it's ending.

Mob is such a great character.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best part about this episode is anime-onlys connecting the Broccoli part in the first OP to this scene. I remember when manga readers were freaking the hell out about it years ago lol

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this fight in the manga was really long. In fact I thought it was too long as it felt like it was just repeating the same thing. Not too mention Toichiro was gradually powering up for the entire fight instead of just jumping from 10 to 20 to 50 right to 100%. Seeing Mob laughing like crazy was pretty scary considering why and how controlled he always in in the series.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Still think the best episode is the fight with the teleportation guy. This season could have used 2-3 episodes to flash out the villains.

May 26, 2018
Still think the best episode is the fight with the teleportation guy. This season could have used 2-3 episodes to flash out the villains.

to be honest that didn't even exist in the manga

it's a show about mob that pretends to be a shonen for this arc as a vehicle for the concept of the show

if that pisses anyone off because they wanted shonen, well, if you really want to know about the future...

it's never shonen ever again.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Good, but disappointing last episode. Season was fantastic. I can't wait for the original OVA handled by ONE and the final season or movie (whichever they decide to do). By the way, manga readers, how many chapters remain to be adapted from the manga?

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Good, but disappointing last episode. Season was fantastic. I can't wait for the original OVA handled by ONE and the final season or movie (whichever they decide to do). By the way, manga readers, how many chapters remain to be adapted from the manga?
I'm not a manga reader but I just checked the book count.

Seasons 1 and 2 seem to cover the first 12 volumes out of 16 in total.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't as good as season 1's finale but damn was it good. I'd say it stuck the landing. It was a bit rushed tho. Still, the season was a 9.5 in my book. Compared to Season 1's 10.

Dec 28, 2018
Man I liked almost everything in this episode except for the fight between Mob and Toichiro. Don't get me wrong it was great in terms of art and animation as is per usual with Mob Psycho but I dunno nothing else about the fight clicked with me and a lot of that has to do with Toichiro. Like I won't disagree that he is a good parallel to Mob but that isn't enough to make me like the guy. Like I just found him to be an utter bore and nothing about him interested me and this episode really didn't do much in making me care anymore for him. Personally much prefer the final fight in the first season over this one but regardless of that though this was still a great final episode. I'm gonna miss this show and it was easily one of the best animes I've watched in years and it will be a crime if it doesn't get a third season.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the show always pulls the punches on the finale, hopefully the next one will be solid. Seems like people think there will be S3? Haven't read but excited if so.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I caught up just to watch finale and wow what a series. This show is everything I wanted Naruto to be thematically. The animation was ridiculously glorious for most of it. Definitely my favorite anime of the past couple of years.

Maaan, I wish we would've gotten this detail. Something definitely felt missing for this finale compared to last season.

May 26, 2018
Gotta admit that fight was rushed, and that's not usually a complaint I make. If they could've just cut the OP, they might've had some more time for the different turnarounds to have an emotional effect. As it was, they were blasting through them so fast there was no time for any of it to land. There weren't even any good scene transitions. Just slammed in and out from one scene to another like reckless maniacs.

And it might be the first time I ever felt the animation team looking... tired.

That's really unfortunate all of it happened with this episode. The season was prodigious up to now.