• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
latest

All you need is a change of perspective

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 4

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Not gonna lie I teared up towards the end. I just can't stand watching Mob get hurt lol.

Also yeah that was like the fastest 20 minutes

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic episode. Dimple Mob looked like a proper shounen protagonist.

I only remember bits and pieces from this arc, but it still feels like I'm experiencing it all for the first time. Excited for next weeks' episode.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Eating the spirits at the end of Season 1 probably did it, but I'm still not used to Dimple consistently being useful.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
That felt a tad rushed, guessing they want to squeeze in the whole World Domination arc in one cour. They cut out some of the more violent panels too. Still good, could have been better if episodes didn't have to be a fixed length and we didn't have to worry about TV standards.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Wasn't expecting a seemingly caring dad to fucking die like that in my usually-wholesome anime. Damn.

Seems like last episode was literally all just set-up for this arc. The out of body experience thing, the question of what it would take for Mob to stand up for himself even when he has every right to, and the way Mob perceives humans as compared to spirits, it's all here in full force and I'm pumped to see where this all goes.

Also, can we just acknowledge that Reigen is still just the best? Everything he does is amazing.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought they were going to up the creepiness of this episode the way they improved on the dragger story and the family exorcism stuff like last week, but it was good the way they handled in nonetheless. The action was awesome. Anyway things are about to get really sad and I'm hyped af for it. Bones rules.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not gonna lie, I was very creeped out by this episode.

Also, I am just surprised at how the first 4 episodes of this season left the entire first season behind in the dust

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That fucking creep better not hurt the mobster. Come on Reigan, use your karate chops on this loser.

So I'm theorizing that Reigan and the green ghost will do something. Wondering if Mobs brother and that dude with giant wig will do anything.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm always impressed by how even though Reigen is a first class con artist he still knows when it's time to drop the act and get serious.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Reigen is such a good character. He had so many hilarious moments this episode.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every episode has the most insane shit but in the end my main takeaway is always about Reigen being fucking awesome.

8QASnqk.png

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure anyone noticed but Mogami is in the first episodes of both season 1 and 2 for a very quick shot when the narrator is talking about espers.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhh.... he's still pretty abusive to Mob at times. Didn't we just find out that he barely pays Mob? Mob does most of the hard work but he barely gets paid.

We knew since the start of the show that Reigen underpays him, so no surprise there. He was set up as at the start to seem like a shit person who was simply using mob but truth is he helps and understands Mob in a way no other character does (especially before meeting his new friends) and looks out for him. What we did find out about him recently in the episode with the Dragger is that he actually undercharges in comparison to other psychics, especially if the person actually seems to be in need of help.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my, shit is getting good. Could not place the claw guy initially, but I remembered he is the spirit jar guy. (Spirit control power, basically)

And yes, Reigen is awesome.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
It just occurred to me that Dimple had his body destroyed not just two times but rather three. Persistent little ghost.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm now realizing that I'd love to see more characters in the mold of Reigen in other properties. Would love to see a guy in the MCU who calls everyone out on their stupid bullshit.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Today's episode

B0JE7Ab.jpg

hzitp.jpg

Fantastic wrap up of the arc, was a bit wary because of how manga people hyped it up, but yeah, good stuff.

TrueBroLapp

Nov 7, 2018
I don't know how to feel about this episode. The animation was top notch, but they focused to much on the action bit and too little on the emotional side of this arc.

Mob was in that world for 6 months, and was bullied to the point of snapping, but I didn't think we saw enough of the life he had there for his change to be that impactful.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was amazing. Was thinking for a moment when it hit 99% it would be better if it didn't happen but then realized it wasn't necessarily negative emotions that could boil over. Then that outcome happened and it was better than I would have expected, and then things went even beyond from there.

I like how Mob really is so positive in the end.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As hard as it would be to watch, I feel that Mob being bullied and breaking down should have been the entire episode. Save his redemption and the fight for the next episode. The first half felt kinda rushed due to this. Might check out the manga to see its version of this arc.

Other than that, this was a masterclass show of animation. The spectacle was amazing.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
So Episode 5 was visually fantastic.
That being said they really toned down a lot of the heavy stuff from the manga significantly. Maybe it was because of time limits but I can't help but feel a little disappointed tbh. This arc really does not hit nearly as hard as it did in the manga because of how quick it is. They really could've used an extra episode to build up Mob's life in Mogami's world before the big fight.
Here's a few examples of changes that I immediately noticed.
The mugging. The scene is a lot slower and less rushed in the manga, playing out more like how it did before except without Mob's friends and powers. Needless to say Mob really has a hard time.
The bullying. It's a lot more graphic and heavy in the manga. First Minori verbally embarrasses Mob in front of the class, after which she pours milk on him. When Mob gets annoyed and asks her why she's doing all this, she has her group of bullies attack him repeatedly while she taunts him. These attacks continue for all of the 6 months Mob's in Mogami's world.
Mogami's backstory is a lot less rushed and better presented in the manga.
The Cat. They removed that portion entirely. In the manga Minori and her group kill the cat in front of Mob while brutally attacking him. He loses a tooth in the process.
The knife. They removed this as well. When Mob tells Minori to apologize, Mogami in a last ditch attempt to corrupt Mob, has Minori stab him with a knife after which another bully smashes his head with a brick. It's pretty damn graphic and brutal.
The finale. This is something I'm really dissapointed that they didn't translate one-to-one from the manga. In the manga after Mob blocks the first giant beam from the spirits, an evil larger spirit appears and fires a huge beam at him. Mob is unable to block it completely and ends up losing his arms and bleeding all over. The evil spirits then attack and eat him, causing him to go ???%.
That's not to say this episode was bad, it's not, it was actually really good. It just could've been even better if they gave it another episode to build up and kept most of the cruelty from the manga. It really seems like the focused too much on the fights and spectacle and too little on the emotional aspects that make this arc so memorable in the manga. Mob's torture here really loses a lot of impact whereas in the manga it was visceral and heart breaking. People who are anime only should really check out this arc in the manga (Ch 58-67) since it's a lot more emotional and heavy and just generally better there.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the latest episode yet but ot seems like they're putting the emphasis this season on the next big arc.

I also wonder if they cut anything do to a Japanese censorship that might be in the dubbed/international version.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm honestly disappointed on how much thematic depth was lost in this arc, mainly with what makes Mogami an interesting villain. One of the big things in the manga was that Mogami himself is not doing all this out of cruelty or malice but rather because this is what he feels is right, that people like Minori are not worth saving in his opinion. In Mob he sees a mirror of himself, someone with great potential who's being used by others all his life. He views Mob as doomed to follow the same path he once did and so tries to "help" him in the cruelest way possible. Yet the thing that this arc stresses is that what's truly different, what actually makes a difference, in Mogami's world is not that Mob doesn't have his powers but rather that Mob doesn't have people to support him. This all culminates in the scene when Mob himself states that his experiences in Mogami's world, despite all the pain and misery, have made him realize that above all else he is a lucky person to be blessed with such great and supportive people around him.
I haven't seen the latest episode yet but ot seems like they're putting the emphasis this season on the next big arc.
Yeah, this is probably the case sadly.
It's a shame because the Mogami Arc is THE arc for most manga readers. It's the one most fans remember and would say is the best in the entire manga. It really depresses me to see some of the changes they made.
Today's episode

B0JE7Ab.jpg

hzitp.jpg

Fantastic wrap up of the arc, was a bit wary because of how manga people hyped it up, but yeah, good stuff.
You should really check out the manga since it's a lot heavier there. While these last two episodes were definitely flashy and great visually, they're not nearly as good as the manga IMO.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I really wish these panels made it in there.
tumblr_pmeyzwm9zN1vdr60j_500.png

tumblr_pmeyzywXZA1vdr60j_500.png

tumblr_pmeyzp54SD1vdr60j_500.png

tumblr_pmeyzmTtLp1vdr60j_640.png
I'm really hoping they can do the next mini arc justice and don't compress into one episode since it's one that define Mob Psycho as much as the Mogami Arc.

Last edited:

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would've been fine with cutting down the action in favor of showing more of the emotional trauma Mob went through, but oh well. Still a good episode.

All the more reason anime watchers should still check out the manga.

Oct 25, 2017
Anything that was lost by moving fast was made up for with the sheer level of craft on display here. There are things that are so well made that you can only really call them an achievement. Its a level of fantastic that shows a real dedication.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest here, BONES poured their all into this episode, and I bet it will be one of the best (if not the best) episode of the year.

Yeah, they had to cut some heavy stuff, but overall, I think they kept the message behind it, and I love BONES for that. I shed tears during this episode.

All of what Mob said, to be grateful for what we have, that even if the world can be a dark place, it's actually not that bad, we can always change. And all that followed by that EYECANDY, JESUS CHRIST HOLY SHIT (dont get me wrong, the whole episode was eyecandy, movie/ova level)

10/10

May 26, 2018
Let's be honest here, BONES poured their all into this episode, and I bet it will be one of yhe best (if not the best) episode of the year.

Yeah, they had to cut some heavy stuff, but overall, I think they kept the message behind it, and I love BONES for that. I shed tears during this episode.

All of what Mob said, to be grateful for what we have, that even if the world can be a dark place, it's actually not that bad, we can always change. And all that followed by that EYECANDY, JESUS CHRIST HOLY SHIT (dont get me wrong, the whole episode was eyecandy, movie/ova level)

10/10

Yeah, for all that was lost (lots of small things adding up to a whole) it was an absolute Sakuga Jam Fest. The work and love that went into it makes it an episode all to itself. Like, you have to consider it differently from the manga due to its function as a work of art.

So point the anime-only watchers to the relevant chapters if you want them to get ONE's writing at full blast.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Also take into consideration that some of the heavier stuff would be banned and censored by the Japanese TV Committee. Just read te chapters 58 to 67 to get the full context of the episodes.

But still, this episode of Mob Psycho is the single best episode of anime of 2019, and with how the season has gone, only 5 episodes, it's my frontrunner for Anime of the Year 2019. 10 out of 10, a visual fest, with some heavy tones, and a great message. Bones went all out and I don't know how the other two big frontrunners (Neverland and Kaguya) will top that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also take into consideration that some of the heavier stuff would be banned and censored by the Japanese TV Committee. Just read te chapters 58 to 67 to get the full context of the episodes.

But still, this episode of Mob Psycho is the single best episode of anime of 2019, and with how the season has gone, only 5 episodes, it's my frontrunner for Anime of the Year 2019. 10 out of 10, a visual fest, with some heavy tones, and a great message. Bones went all out and I don't know how the other two big frontrunners (Neverland and Kaguya) will top that.
Maybe the stabbing since that's mimics a very specific event, but there rest should have been fine. Just read the arc myself.

But, yeah, this episode was still a great episode. Probably going to be the best episode of the year. It's just that feeling that it could have been better.