• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly not sure if I would've been able to endure more of that overly depressing stuff. Half an episode seems like enough already.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the stabbing since that's mimics a very specific event, but there rest should have been fine. Just read the arc myself.

But, yeah, this episode was still a great episode. Probably going to be the best episode of the year. It's just that feeling that it could have been better.

Considering the kind of stuff that gets censored for Jojo's bizarre adventure it's not that surprising. They couldnt even show Jotaro smoking lol.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught the episode. I do agree I think they should have spent more time showing Mob breaking under the strain of being used and abused by everyone around him. It felt rushed and probably robbed the episode or arc of some of its emotional heft. Though I feel the anime has done a great job building up to this moment itself so I do think it was effective overall seeing Mob really grow.

That all said, HOLY FUCK that might be one of the best looking episodes of TV anime I have ever seen. Bones absolutely knocked this out of the park and into the next state over. The entire second half was an absolute visual feast that just kept topping itself to the point I had to pause the episode and just kind of take a breather. That part was pretty intense and visually crazy in the manga but the anime just went and took it to a new level.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a manga reader I'm so conflicted

Out of this world animation but it misses SO MUCH

Seriously I highly recommend anime-onlys read the manga version of this arc

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
That was a hell of an episode.

Speaking as an anime-only viewer, I didn't get the feeling that stuff was rushed while watching it. The only time I've ever felt that with this series was maybe with Episode 6 or 7 (I forget which) in Season 1. I think spending the first half of the episode in the illusion and the second half of the episode on the confrontation worked, and I still understood all of the themes this arc was going for. I'm also wondering if it could be a case where subtitles are a factor. The episode has a lot of visual information going on, and following it alongside subtitles can feel like a lot. However, in these types of episodes I think that issue tends to be mitigated when watching it dubbed instead of subbed.

I guess my point is that it feels a bit weird to be in a situation where I think the episode I just watched was paced alright while so many manga readers are saying it's rushed. Usually in a situation like this, I would feel rushed pacing while watching that sort of episode. In this case though, I just have everyone else's word to go off of.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely more interested in an anime-only perspective on it

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking as an anime-only viewer, I didn't get the feeling that stuff was rushed while watching it. The only time I've ever felt that with this series was maybe with Episode 6 or 7 (I forget which) in Season 1. I think spending the first half of the episode in the illusion and the second half of the episode on the confrontation worked, and I still understood all of the themes this arc was going for. I'm also wondering if it could be a case where subtitles are a factor. The episode has a lot of visual information going on, and following it alongside subtitles can feel like a lot. However, in these types of episodes I think that issue tends to be mitigated when watching it dubbed instead of subbed.

I guess my point is that it feels a bit weird to be in a situation where I think the episode I just watched was paced alright while so many manga readers are saying it's rushed. Usually in a situation like this, I would feel rushed pacing while watching that sort of episode. In this case though, I just have everyone else's word to go off of.
It was paced right for a 22 and a half minute episode of television, but having read the manga already I wish they could have made this a 45 minute special or something.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking as an anime-only viewer, I didn't get the feeling that stuff was rushed while watching it. The only time I've ever felt that with this series was maybe with Episode 6 or 7 (I forget which) in Season 1. I think spending the first half of the episode in the illusion and the second half of the episode on the confrontation worked, and I still understood all of the themes this arc was going for.

I feel it still works because the anime realized a lot of the scenes from the manga so well that lead up to this episode. It follows the manga pretty closely but things feel a lot more like simple mostly disconnected vignettes leading up to the confrontation with Mogami in the manga where the anime made it a lot more cohesive and better capture the growing stress on Mob.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched it. I had skimmed through this arc before the episode aired just as a refresher and the anime did skip some things during Mob's 6 months of torture. I had it it in my head this would've been a 3 episode arc with this episode being the trauma which ends with Mob powering up. Then the next episode would be the fight and conclusion.

I thought that stuff was amazing at the time I read it, but man, it'd be a really depressing episode. But I understand why Bones cut it and why people are disappointed with it being cut. Also I think Bones did a good job of using episodes 1-4 to hint at Mob's emotional arc and him trying to change himself. Personally, I'm glad they didn't animate the cat stuff (RIP manga cat.)

That out the way.... Holy hell the back half of the episode was visually amazing! Not even halfway through the season and Bones is just flexing because they can.

Onto the next.... Reigen fans in for a treat.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the couple of trailers and promos released they've barely released any footage from the second half of the season. Probably a couple of random shots but most of them were from these first 5 episodes. I wonder what they have in store for us considering we're not even at the half way point of the season.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it still works because the anime realized a lot of the scenes from the manga so well that lead up to this episode. It follows the manga pretty closely but things feel a lot more like simple mostly disconnected vignettes leading up to the confrontation with Mogami in the manga where the anime made it a lot more cohesive and better capture the growing stress on Mob.
That's an interesting point. In hindsight, I think it would be possible to consider everything from this season's first or second episode up to its fifth episode as a single arc, with this episode feeling like the culmination of pretty much everything from this season so far. It very much felt like a season finale to me despite only being 5 episodes into the season.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Episode 5 was visually fantastic.
That being said they really toned down a lot of the heavy stuff from the manga significantly. Maybe it was because of time limits but I can't help but feel a little disappointed tbh. This arc really does not hit nearly as hard as it did in the manga because of how quick it is. They really could've used an extra episode to build up Mob's life in Mogami's world before the big fight.
Here's a few examples of changes that I immediately noticed.
The mugging. The scene is a lot slower and less rushed in the manga, playing out more like how it did before except without Mob's friends and powers. Needless to say Mob really has a hard time.
The bullying. It's a lot more graphic and heavy in the manga. First Minori verbally embarrasses Mob in front of the class, after which she pours milk on him. When Mob gets annoyed and asks her why she's doing all this, she has her group of bullies attack him repeatedly while she taunts him. These attacks continue for all of the 6 months Mob's in Mogami's world.
Mogami's backstory is a lot less rushed and better presented in the manga.
The Cat. They removed that portion entirely. In the manga Minori and her group kill the cat in front of Mob while brutally attacking him. He loses a tooth in the process.
The knife. They removed this as well. When Mob tells Minori to apologize, Mogami in a last ditch attempt to corrupt Mob, has Minori stab him with a knife after which another bully smashes his head with a brick. It's pretty damn graphic and brutal.
The finale. This is something I'm really dissapointed that they didn't translate one-to-one from the manga. In the manga after Mob blocks the first giant beam from the spirits, an evil larger spirit appears and fires a huge beam at him. Mob is unable to block it completely and ends up losing his arms and bleeding all over. The evil spirits then attack and eat him, causing him to go ???%.
That's not to say this episode was bad, it's not, it was actually really good. It just could've been even better if they gave it another episode to build up and kept most of the cruelty from the manga. It really seems like the focused too much on the fights and spectacle and too little on the emotional aspects that make this arc so memorable in the manga. Mob's torture here really loses a lot of impact whereas in the manga it was visceral and heart breaking. People who are anime only should really check out this arc in the manga (Ch 58-67) since it's a lot more emotional and heavy and just generally better there.
Just watched it and I agree with the opinions here. The episode was really really good, but it seemed rushed. I think it would've been more impactful if the bullying carried longer, and it would've been much more effective in carrying out how he just dropped his principles.
They should've saved the actual battle for the next episode. Everything else was perfect.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
100% Mob is 1000% keeping it real, holy fuck. One of the best fights out there, just an amazing spectacle of rainbow sparkles and spirit exorcism. It felt a bit rushed, but what can we do. If I understand there is not a lot of content left, so hopefully the last 100% will be on par or even better than this. I need more of Eldritch Horror ???% Mob.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot a lot of the extra stuff covered in the anime. Ironically, when watching the episode, it felt way longer than it actually was.

Well, either way, that episode was just a masterpiece. Mob Psycho 100 is a masterpiece.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it and I agree with the opinions here. The episode was really really good, but it seemed rushed. I think it would've been more impactful if the bullying carried longer, and it would've been much more effective in carrying out how he just dropped his principles.
They should've saved the actual battle for the next episode. Everything else was perfect.

I don't want to say too much as a manga reader but we're not even at the halfway point of the season. If I had to guess the last half of the season is going to be focusing fully on the next big arc which should be absolutely amazing considering how good the first 5 episodes have looked.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to say too much as a manga reader but we're not even at the halfway point of the season. If I had to guess the last half of the season is going to be focusing fully on the next big arc which should be absolutely amazing considering how good the first 5 episodes have looked.
Do you think it'll surpass the arc from the first half?

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to wait for the show to be done so I could binge the whole thing but I might just have to jump into this season now.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely more interested in an anime-only perspective on it
I'm anime only, but even then, it didn't feel as if Mob was stuck in that world for 6 months.

It's not a big complaint, since the last half of the episode is amazing and more than makes up for it, but I do feel the pacing of the first half was off. Enough for me to check out the manga version of just this arc.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that was incredible.

Not sure I agree with people saying it should have been two episodes though. Did feel a bit fast but having the entire episode dedicated to showing mob's life in the world, eh i donno seems like overkill. But I'll probably read those chapters from the manga just to fill in the scenes that we missed and see if I change my mind.

Oct 26, 2017
This episode was absolutely insane visually and thematically.

I should post in here more often.

This is only the fifth episode of season 2 and we already have:
-Unique, flowing storyboarding
- Beautiful use of color theory and grey for the city
- Widescreen to make everything feel more cinematic.
- Highly detailed movement that you would expect from the season finale
- Framing and timing in the character acting that embodies the tone the series is trying to set

I could go on and on.

I think this episode, along with Episode 5 and 12 from season 1, best encapsulates why I love Mob Psycho 100.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really disappointed with how they handled the Mogami arc. It's my favorite story arc in the manga, and it just felt way too rushed and gutted of its impact. I was really looking forward to it, hoping it'd make me damn cry, but emotionally I didn't feel much of anything while watching today's episode. They cut a bunch of stuff and they didn't give any of it time to breath and sink in before the next story beat was happening. The episode really should have been two -- first be focused on Mob struggling through all that up until Dimple, and second being the fight and resolution. Honestly, I think the first Mogami episode should have been two, as well.
I'm kinda feeling this way about the entire season so far. Emi's story is also one of my favorites and that, too, felt rushed. It's bumming me out cuz MP100 is legit my favorite series of all time and I wanted so much for this season. :((

Although story telling aside, I do think this is the most beautiful, most amazing, most stunning episode visually I have ever seen in an anime. It was absolutely breath taking to watch. Like... god damn. That bit at the end of the fight left me in awe.

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
As an anime only viewer it did not feel like 6 months but I also don't think I could handle more Shigeo suffering showcase ;_; . But I found this episode incredibly amazing and I really like the compassionate messages of this series

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Holy fucking shit this episode. The animation and well... everything about it was out of this fucking world, I legitimately couldn't believe my eyes. And this is only Episode 5? Goddamn.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this last episode was so good. Easily the best looking episode since Fate/Apocrypha 22, which makes sense as I've read that was by the same episode director. Even the non-flashy shots in the first part looked so good, as did the character acting at the end of the episode. Bones really brought everything they have for this episode.

In terms of the pacing, as an anime only viewer, I actually appreciate that the first part was as short as it was. I was actually worried last week from the previews that they were going to drag it out for waaay too long, but in the end I shouldn't have doubted the anime team.

As for the reasoning why I feel that way, it probably needs some context first. First of all, bullying is bad, obviously. You'd think I wouldn't need to explicitly state this, but given some of the things I've seen on this board it probably needs stating. And it's also very bad in Japan. Like, really bad. Suicide is the most common cause of death for Japanese kids (worldwide it's the third most common). Actual numbers for it vary by source, but some of them say it's the most common cause of death for children as young as 10 years old. Imagine a 10 year old kid losing all hope in life and seeing no other way forward. And while bullying isn't the only reason for this, there is a strong statistical correlation between it and suicidal thoughts (this also extends worldwide, obviously). The true extent of it is kind of hard to measure, since most research done on it is kind of flawed, but just one look at the correlation graph in the BBC and CNN articles should already show something is going on.

With that out of the way, I find the way most media treats bullying to be utter garbage. And anime or Japanese media in general is no exception. It's super common in anime, and is usually depicted as being not really harmful or even as being beneficial. I just played a Japanese/anime video game a week ago where a bully victim straight up thanked his bully for putting him in the hospital for 3 weeks. Like what? And none of the reviews I've read even mentioned this part. And this sort of sentiment is everywhere in anime, and usually gets brushed aside by some fans as just "kids being kids" or kids needing to "man up".

Now obviously, this isn't the case for Mob Psycho in the slightest. Mob Psycho is actually a good show. It's just me ranting about how bad most anime does it. But Mob does show the second problem I have with it: it runs the risk of feeling kind of exploitative. Of course watching someone get bullied makes you feel sad. How couldn't it. But it's just such a heavy, important, and very often ignored topic that I think using it for shock value is just plain irresponsible at best. Particularly when this very same issue is probably effecting a large portion of the viewer-base. Yes, Mob Psycho is a seinen manga, but it would be silly to suggest that kids aren't watching it. Even for example the two news articles linked above have a link to a suicide prevention phone line. And they aren't even close to what is portrayed here, even in its shorter form. It's just the responsible thing to do.

For this episode, I think it managed to find just the right balance of getting the point across without actually feeling too exploitative. But I'm not sure I would feel the same way if this was dragged on for longer. Yes, it wasn't used just for shock value, but also for character development. But in terms of the message and character development, I feel like it got its point across just fine. I already know how painful bullying is, and stretching it out for longer would add absolutely nothing to my understanding of Mob and the situation he finds himself in. All it would do is make me feel angry and sad. Especially if there was a week or more of waiting between the suffering and the catharsis (the fact that the episode ends on a positive note is actually very important to me). And while obviously getting an emotional response is something we should value in art, I just don't think there's that much merit to it in this case. As I said above, of course watching someone get bullied makes you feel sad.

One of the big things in the manga was that Mogami himself is not doing all this out of cruelty or malice but rather because this is what he feels is right, that people like Minori are not worth saving in his opinion. In Mob he sees a mirror of himself, someone with great potential who's being used by others all his life. He views Mob as doomed to follow the same path he once did and so tries to "help" him in the cruelest way possible. Yet the thing that this arc stresses is that what's truly different, what actually makes a difference, in Mogami's world is not that Mob doesn't have his powers but rather that Mob doesn't have people to support him. This all culminates in the scene when Mob himself states that his experiences in Mogami's world, despite all the pain and misery, have made him realize that above all else he is a lucky person to be blessed with such great and supportive people around him.

For example, I think the episode got most of this across just fine to me as an anime only watcher. Maybe not the whole "Mogami isn't actually cruel or malicious" bit, because that seems like trying to redeem him a bit too much. He came across as super cruel here, but also as a person who truly believes that cruelty is correct and the right thing to do. But I think that was the idea anyway, and I can understand why he feels that way, which is the important part. Everything else I feel like still worked fine. A lot of it also comes down to great direction. The scene with Mob in the river and his brother just walking by on the bridge is one such example: it got so much stuff across in just a couple of seconds. And I'm actually interested if this symbolism was present in the manga too, or if its something the anime added. And of course, the scene also immediatelly contrasted with the bullying scene in the previous (or was it some episodes back?) episode that played out similarly, but Mob got saved from it not by his psychic powers, but by the people that care about him. And not even his psychic brother, but by the totally human body improvement club.

But then again, I never was a person that actually enjoyed deliberately depressing, sad and painful media. I just don't see much point, to be honest.

Last edited:

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Very powerful episode, but yeah upon reading the spoilers about the Manga. Definitely lost a lot of important details (wtf to a lot of it!). I would cut a bit on the action part but very enjoyable episode still.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yeah. I just looked at the chapters to remind myself of what's next. Next arc/mini arc
the Reigen expose stuff
is my favorite thing in all of Mob Psycho. The feels at the end of it is so fucking great.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hell yeah. I just looked at the chapters to remind myself of what's next. Next arc/mini arc
the Reigen expose stuff
is my favorite thing in all of Mob Psycho. The feels at the end of it is so fucking great.

Agreed, I really hope it's not rushed and get's the time it deserves.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Mob psycho is just amazing. It's just a pure joy to watch episodes of this show. Humor, drama, animation, fights, it has everything you want in an anime and more.
Episode 5 is a blast, and maybe it's better that I didn't read the manga before cause it seems many of you are somewhat disappointed.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Manga reader will never satisfied until they got panel by panel adaptation and realize its not good for both.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Damn that was some crazy animation. Bishonen Mob was unexpected and the return of the ????? persona. Wonder what Mogami meant when he mention the vessel.

Honestly not sure if I would've been able to endure more of that overly depressing stuff. Half an episode seems like enough already.

Part of me says that yeah, it would be so painful to see a full episode of Mob getting continuously shat on, but at the same time I guess it would hammer in how much rougher his life could be and make the awakening even more rewarding.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Stolen shamelessly from reddit:

VuPBzUF.gif

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
What a great episode.
IwKgdn5_d.jpg

This is one of those "Print this quote out and look at it every day" kind of truths. Glad to see so many shows adopting the moral that "No one is beyond saving."

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
As an anime-only guy, I did not get the impression at all that this story was rushed or that I was missing anything about the characters or their motivations. Anime and manga present information differently, and while it didn't adapt every scene, it got across the themes and ideas it needed to in exactly the amount of time it needed. I don't think including a cat being killed would have helped with the flow of the episode at all.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Manga reader will never satisfied until they got panel by panel adaptation and realize its not good for both.
People aren't even asking for panel by panel adaption. The anime was never that to my knowledge. People are just pointing out that the pacing was off in the first half. Blink for second and you miss that Mob had been in that world for 6 months. Pacing and direction wise, you just never really feel the passing of time. You can point out where improvements could have been made and still like the finished product.