• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting game. The sense of dread gives me a Thumper vibe. But I'm not sold on the gameplay. Seems to be more of a chance game as opposed to skill.

And you run out of lives too quickly. Know you can purchase an IAP for infinite lives. Just not sure about the long term appeal.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
My most recent addiction is Ragnarok Mobile. Nostalgia got me through 2 months playing a ton, but the RNG, p2w mechanics such as the auction house and tons of small frustrations (why can't I hit this monster? Why are there so many systems on top of systems and progression mechanics?) are killing it.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017

This game is fantastic. One of the best iterations yet on the Slay the Spire inspired game genre.

Deep mechanics and a "reload" system that is a nice twist. Incredibly polished and...it's pirates!

My only concern right now is progression. These are IAPs for gold that helps open new areas, which also require experience. Both come very slowly through gameplay. It's too fun to distract too much but wish they would make it easier to unlock new areas. I would have rather paid a higher upfront cost.

Still plenty of gameplay for the initial $.99 and no ads.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
This game is fantastic. One of the best iterations yet on the Slay the Spire inspired game genre.

Deep mechanics and a "reload" system that is a nice twist. Incredibly polished and...it's pirates!

My only concern right now is progression. These are IAPs for gold that helps open new areas, which also require experience. Both come very slowly through gameplay. It's too fun to distract too much but wish they would make it easier to unlock new areas. I would have rather paid a higher upfront cost.

Still plenty of gameplay for the initial $.99 and no ads.
Nice. I didn't notice the game was only $1, but I was hesitant since it feels like there's starting to be an avalanche of "slay the spire" games. Well, I've mainly played Night of the Full Moon and Silent Abyss which are different. Though I don't see myself tiring of these card based games any time soon. Kind of like metrovianias...

My metroidvania game (yet to be announced but made in Unity and coming to iOS, PS4 and Switch end of 2020) is coming along very nicely. As soon as i have more i will announce it with a trailer and make a kickstarter to fund the music and such. I hope you guys like what i been developing on secret
Neat. I wonder what flavor of metrovania this is designed after. Hmm...

4639.jpg

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
You know, thinking about Simogo's departure from mobile, I wouldn't be as torn up about it if another dev stepped up to replace them or made games similar to theirs. Games like Florence, Old Man's Journey, and Inkle's games come close but cant seem to reproduce that same magic that happened when I played Year Walk and Device 6 for the first time.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Developing in Unity as a hardcore mobile gamer is depressing. Every tutorial i watched where they were doing something cool came with a if(onMobile) - Destroy piece of code. Even Unity teachers (guys involved with making Unity) say that if you have mobile in mind have to very careful how to develop and what to add. Damn. My respect for devs who goes 3D on mobile raised a millon points.

awp69 thanks!

Neat. I wonder what flavor of metrovania this is designed after. Hmm...

4639.jpg

Im looking at Hollow Knight to make it i wont deny that. I want to to be as good as that one so im doing the animations, world decoration (layer order they have to make the world feel alive) and music (this one not by me lol that would be awful) in their style. But the story, graphics, mechanics, actions, narrative, etc will be very different in their own right (there is a relation between the two controllable characters for example). Im looking at this very carefully dont want to be labeled as a clone ot copycat. It will be like Hollow Knight but at the same time it will be very different i dont know if im explaining myself here.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I was all hyped up (I enjoy Octopath on my Switch but I would play A TON more on my iPhone) until I read the game will be free to play.

I was about to say that Nintendo told its mobile partners this week to make their games less IAP heavy. But then I realized this isn't a Nintendo property. The main game was just exclusive to Switch.

Free2play on mobile is an automatic pass 99% of the times for me these days

Always just need to look at the IAP listing. There are still a lot of smaller F2P games that just have unlocks that make it premium.

See a $50 or $100 IAP though, and it's petty much an instant no go for me.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yep. I'm happy to pay one time fees to disable ads or increase some in game income, but holy shit will I never ever support the 100€ to by some crystals kind of games.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Im looking at Hollow Knight to make it i wont deny that. I want to to be as good as that one so im doing the animations, world decoration (layer order they have to make the world feel alive) and music (this one not by me lol that would be awful) in their style. But the story, graphics, mechanics, actions, narrative, etc will be very different in their own right (there is a relation between the two controllable characters for example). Im looking at this very carefully dont want to be labeled as a clone ot copycat. It will be like Hollow Knight but at the same time it will be very different i dont know if im explaining myself here.
I wasn't trying to criticize! I love Hollow Knight. If the one inspiration you take from HK is its attention to atmosphere then you're picking the right aspect to "copy":)

Speaking of metroidvanias, I forgot to grab Dandara when it went on sale for $6. Good news! Today for Women's Day it's on sale for $4. So I corrected my mistake.

Edit: ^%&^% I didn't realize Dandara was souls like in terms of losing all your crystals. My 2nd death was at the first real boss, and my soul was no where to be found. Sigh 1500+ crystals wasted. The game seemed cool until that point, but that kinda pissed me off:(

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Found a few games I didn't know were updated for iPhone X support. Where's My Water?, Chameleon Run and Tiny Wings. Kind of fun going back and playing some of these oldies.

GTA: Liberty City Stories also updated for X.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
I wasn't trying to criticize! I love Hollow Knight. If the one inspiration you take from HK is its attention to atmosphere then you're picking the right aspect to "copy":)

I know. Im trying to draw a line for myself as well... that atmosphere is what im after, damn this is hard... on the good news i nailed the Hollow Knight movement lol

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
So digging a bit into the Rolando announcement by Handcircus coming later today (should be at 19h00 CET), it seems like the game is gonna be called "Rolando : Royal Edition" and surely a collection of both games updated for modern devices.

It will be published directly under Handcircus' developer account and be available here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/developer/handcircus/id601273093

It seems like the game won't be launched tonight but rather will be available for pre-order.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Instantly signed up for this, thanks for posting! Ascension's one of my favorites, I still play it on my iPad all the time--the new interface and animations look really slick.

It's a blend between Ascension and Star Realms (not a score chaser like Ascension, you fight against an opponent to bring down its HP)....by the devs of Race for the Galaxy.
3 among my favorite deck builders of all time in one app.
I'm beyond excited.
Beta already started but I'm not in the first batch sadly.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is self promotion allowed on this sub if we're developers? Or is there a better thread for that?

Thanks!

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought an IPhone XS, upgrading from a 7 plus. Any suggested games to take advantage of the new muscle?

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That takes me back... looks to "only" be the first game? So many memories between this, games mentioned for Gameclub, and a new Ascension game?

On a more current note:) I've gotten to the second boss in Dandara now. Yikes, is this thing kicking my ass. I get barely any damage on it, and I'm not improving. I still really like the game. Though I do worry that one of my favorite parts of metroidvania's is hunting for extra "missile updates", and while I like the game's movement, traversal while dodging enemies is too much of a pain in the ass to go exploring.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Photographs, the next game from Luca Redwood (You Must Build a Boat, 10000000) and an intriguing puzzler/story-based game, is coming April 3rd to iOS and you can pre-order now for $2.99:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/photographs-puzzle-stories/id1392948321

The Spellforce franchise is coming to mobile with Spellforce - Heroes & Magic by THQNordic & Handy Games as a premium turn based strategy game for $7.99:

They are also bringing the critically acclaimed turn based RPG Battle Chasers: Nightwar to mobile as a premium app for $9.99 this summer:

An Xbox live API is coming to mobile:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/14/18265214/microsoft-xbox-live-ios-android-games-support-features

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Legends of Fargoal is still one of the best and most atmospheric fantasy roguelite ever made.
I was skeptical about Gameclub resurrecting old games on modern devices.....but damn their Fargoal port is flawless.
Game is glorious on iPhone X.
Amazing they are able to fully support most recent devices with ancient and dropped by original devs games, while some new just made games can't.

I know what I will play next months.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Interesting thing that Stadia can be played from smartphones... so... new Doom on my iPhone? Sounds Sci-Fi as of now but ill take it!

I was pretty hyped about OnLive but unfortunately was cancelled.
Always been skeptical about these things till years ago I bought a new smart TV for home that had installed something I don't remeber the name of but was similar and came with a free Logitech controller and 6 months of free service.
Actually worked pretty well even if at the time I had a 20 Mb internet connection. Almost completed The Witcher saga and my son played all possible LEGO games on it.
Can't remeber exactly but months/years ago the service was ceased.
Hyronic because now I have a whopping 200 Mb internet line that I almost never use.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
I was pretty hyped about OnLive but unfortunately was cancelled.
Always been skeptical about these things till years ago I bought a new smart TV for home that had installed something I don't remeber the name of but was similar and came with a free Logitech controller and 6 months of free service.
Actually worked pretty well even if at the time I had a 20 Mb internet connection. Almost completed The Witcher saga and my son played all possible LEGO games on it.
Can't remeber exactly but months/years ago the service was ceased.
Hyronic because now I have a whopping 200 Mb internet line that I almost never use.

Be ready to use those 200 when Google Stadia arrives, Google >>>>>>>>>> OnLive so you will be right at home with that. New DOOM at 4K on your iPad.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Be ready to use those 200 when Google Stadia arrives, Google >>>>>>>>>> OnLive so you will be right at home with that. New DOOM at 4K on your iPad.

We will see, but surely can't wait for it even if tbh it's really hard to be excited right now because they really didn't show anything at all (as Microsoft).

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
We will see, but surely can't wait for it even if tbh it's really hard to be excited right now because they really didn't show anything at all (as Microsoft).

Agree. Honestly even if they did show more, I still wouldn't get that excited. Have to have a trial or something because they will demo it in the absolute perfect circumstances and not everyone is going to have that.

Deleted member 49574

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2018
Norway

Evertale is up.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evertale/id1263365153?mt=8

Interesting thing that Stadia can be played from smartphones... so... new Doom on my iPhone? Sounds Sci-Fi as of now but ill take it!

Stadia will only support pixel phones at launch. chances are you will play Doom through xcloud before Stadia on iphone.

MS will show everything at E3

Last edited: