• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Of everything Apple announced today, Arcade is the one I could see myself subbing to. Still, we'll see. I'm quite curious on the pricing as I'm a subscription hopper, subbing to various services 1-2 months at a time. The only exceptions have been console online subs. I don't really want to pay for a yearly Arcade sub...

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm real excited about this Apple Arcade business and love that Apple is finally investing in premium gaming, I really don't feel like subscribing to yet ANOTHER service on my card. Plus, I do like the feeling of buying a game and owning it without the fear that a lapsed payment or declined card could immediately wipe out my game library.

I would prefer if the premium games were buy-able on the app store on top of being also on subscription service so that customers can choose but it doesn't sound like that will happen.

I also worry that, if this is a huge success, this will promote a response by Google and they'll end up buying some games exclusively for the Play store.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain Cultist Simulator to me. Already pre-registered and it seems interesting, but I still have no clue.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain Cultist Simulator to me. Already pre-registered and it seems interesting, but I still have no clue.
It's a narrative-driven puzzle/strategy game where all objects, people, settings, and events are represented by cards on a board. The plot is about you starting a cult, gaining followers, and ultimately completing the necessary requirements to summon some Lovecraftian alien God's to destroy the world.

What you do with the cards will depend on what they are; some cards need to be matched in order to synchronize events, some need to be combined in order to progress the plot, and others may need to be sacrificed to create more cards to work with. It might seem simple at first but the underlying mechanics are pretty deep and I've myself failed a few runs when I tried it out on PC a while back.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I was really skeptical yesterday before the Apple event but Apple Arcade seems exciting (and some of the games listed with trailer on their own page are quite awesome).

Still we don't know two crucial factors.
Pricing for the end user (which I don't see over 10 dollars considering the race to bottom of the recent years) and more importantly how game devs will paid (screen time? Apple covered the costs of development and then some? Percentage of the subscription by screen time?)...because if devs in the end won't earn enough money, nobody will care after some months.

That said, it seems a HUGE step in the right direction....very excited even if, as always, slightly pissed it's scheduled for fall (of course I wanted it right now).

I also wonder if some of the rumored games of the last months will be part of this Apple Arcade service (like Dead Cells and the like....if they tie some sort of service promotion with MiFi controllers....that Cuphead game that was removed by the AppStore could hint that....)

Anyway, very excited.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure there is a crowed here for this game, but I'm loving it.

It's a game that just came out recently called Sprout idle gardening.

https://toucharcade.com/2019/03/15/toucharcade-game-of-the-week-sprout-idle-garden/

rdMzUQy.jpg

It's an idle/clicker game but it also kind of doubles as a town builder. These idle games almost never really "click" for me, but this one has really drawn me in. It's very relaxing, the music is nice, the ads aren't super intrusive.

I'd recommend it to just about anyone to at least try.
Going to second this, I've tried countless mobile idle games, building games, and farming/gardening games and this one leaves them all in the dust. Great game, completely ad supported, all ads are opt-in, and it has an active community.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I was really skeptical yesterday before the Apple event but Apple Arcade seems exciting (and some of the games listed with trailer on their own page are quite awesome).

Still we don't know two crucial factors.
Pricing for the end user (which I don't see over 10 dollars considering the race to bottom of the recent years) and more importantly how game devs will paid (screen time? Apple covered the costs of development and then some? Percentage of the subscription by screen time?)...because if devs in the end won't earn enough money, nobody will care after some months.

That said, it seems a HUGE step in the right direction....very excited even if, as always, slightly pissed it's scheduled for fall (of course I wanted it right now).

I also wonder if some of the rumored games of the last months will be part of this Apple Arcade service (like Dead Cells and the like....if they tie some sort of service promotion with MiFi controllers....that Cuphead game that was removed by the AppStore could hint that....)

Anyway, very excited.

I'm sure the dev part will be at WWDC for revenue sharing information and we'll get the price (I'm guessing 9.99) at the iPhone event this fall with the service part of iOS 13.

Here's what one of the Apple Arcade Executive is saying about revenue sharing:
https://twitter.com/KathyAstromoff/status/1110408838597898240

I'm also thinking that Apple will offer a bundle of News+, TV+, Music and Arcade for something like 29.99 a month.

Thinking a bit about games that could end up in Arcade:
- West of Loathing
- Night in the Woods
- Into the Breach
- Sky
- Steamworld Quest
- Heaven's Vault
- Baba is You

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm sure the dev part will be at WWDC for revenue sharing information and we'll get the price (I'm guessing 9.99) at the iPhone event this fall with the service part of iOS 13.

Here's what one of the Apple Arcade Executive is saying about revenue sharing:
https://twitter.com/KathyAstromoff/status/1110408838597898240

I'm also thinking that Apple will offer a bundle of News+, TV+, Music and Arcade for something like 29.99 a month.

Thinking a bit about games that could end up in Arcade:
- West of Loathing
- Night in the Woods
- Into the Breach

Yeah I was also thinking Banner Saga 3 could be there too.

If there are finally action games on it, like Dead Cells and the like, games that almost require a controller (Cuphead, Ori and the Blind Forest, Hollow Knight, last excellent Monster Boy etc...) could appear too and despite owing a Switch I would buy a controller that very second (I much prefer gaming on my phone anyway).
They could even do a promotion with: Get a MiFi controller, get 1 month of free Arcade service.

All this combined to streaming services probably coming soon as well.

Exciting times.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was also thinking Banner Saga 3 could be there too.

If there are finally action games on it, like Dead Cells and the like, games that almost require a controller (Cuphead, Ori and the Blind Forest, Hollow Knight, last excellent Monster Boy etc...) could appear too and despite owing a Switch I would buy a controller that very second (I much prefer gaming on my phone anyway).
They could even do a promotion with: Get a MiFi controller, get 1 month of free Arcade service.

All this combined to streaming services probably coming soon as well.

Exciting times.

And maybe... maybe a controller icon in the App Store for compatible apps on iOS 13? :D

That combined with the planned revamp of iOS for iPad (entirely new UI) makes WWDC and the upcoming iPhone event something to look forward to.

Edit:
The absolutely brilliant asymmetric multiplayer experience "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" is coming to mobile later this year:
https://www.destructoid.com/madcap-...nobody-explodes-headed-to-mobile-546572.phtml

Last edited:

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the down side of Apple Arcade is that the next 6 months will be fairly quiet for smaller premium releases. Anything ready this year will probs be in the Arcade.
Curious to see how many games at launch.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
That's one of the few things they did say. It'll have 100 games at launch.

I don't think they said at launch and the website does add that not every game featured will make it this fall. It's more « 100 games in development ». But I expect a good lineup anyways and maybe close to that number.

Edit: The story on the App Store does imply that over 100 are expected when you subscribe so I might be wrong about this.

Last edited:

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they said at launch and the website does add that not every game featured will make it this fall. It's more « 100 games in development ». But I expect a good lineup anyways and maybe close to that number.

Edit: The story on the App Store does imply that over 100 are expected when you subscribe so I might be wrong about this.

Yea, I guess you're right. They never come out and say it plainly, but I don't know how else to interpret "Subscribe to Apple Arcade and get access to over 100 innovative titles," followed by "And we'll keep adding more amazing games all the time." Unless they mean there's some startup period where the first statement isn't true, I'd have to imagine they're aiming for 100+ titles at launch.

yeah but one of the videos says "not all products available at launch" or something like that.

I saw that, but assumed that they still were shooting to launch with 100 titles, but were cherry-picking the most visually appealing titles they have coming down the pike for Arcade to make their video splashier, even if some of those titles won't be available day one.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Was just reading over in a TA thread that Oceanhorn 2 at least will be exclusive to Arcade. While I like the idea of Arcade, it is kind of disappointing that they won't allow games to be sold individually as well.

I have GamePass on Xbox One and love it but it still seems to do quite well even through you can buy all the same games individually if you wanted.

Know they are doing it to get people to subscribe but still like options.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Was just reading over in a TA thread that Oceanhorn 2 at least will be exclusive to Arcade. While I like the idea of Arcade, it is kind of disappointing that they won't allow some games to be sold individually as well.

I have GamePass on Xbox One and love it but it still seems to do quite well even through you can buy all the same games individually if you wanted.

Yeah, I won't like it if there's a game I really want but can't actually "own". Even Netflix usually releases their original shows on Blu-ray to own eventually.

I mean, it's not like there aren't examples where mobile games have disappeared even if you did buy it. Stuff like Bioshock, Dead Space, Peggle Classic have all gone as a result of not getting updates and iOS updating not to support them.

At least Oceanhorn will be on other platforms as well.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Was just reading over in a TA thread that Oceanhorn 2 at least will be exclusive to Arcade. While I like the idea of Arcade, it is kind of disappointing that they won't allow games to be sold individually as well.

Game Pass actually incentivises buying games as you get at least a 10% discount. I guess thats because nothing (besides 1st party) is permanent in Game Pass compared to Apple Arcade which seems to be a more permanent place for games.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm not gonna lie I'm actually really excited for Apple arcade. I play games occasionally on my phone. but normally I have to put in quite a bit of legwork to find stuff I like. Even if I only like maybe 10% of the arcades library. That'll still be worth the money to me.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017

I'm curious to see how this works because if you can play offline, the system has no way of knowing whether or not you're still subscribed to it and since those games are downloaded, you could keep them forever anyways. Plus I haven't seen iOS being able to delete software that you downloaded before on its own so I'm curious to see how they'll handle that.

I'm guessing you'll have to be online every X days to ensure that it's still available and that your subscription is still valid.

Do we know which game is at 47 sec mark in the Apple Arcade video teaser?

https://imgur.com/gallery/IendVdP

Seems to be "'Enter The Construct" by Directive Games Limited.

In other news:
The DLC "Father's Promise" for the excellent "This War of Mine" by 11bitstudios is out now on iOS as a separate app:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/this-war-of-mine-stories/id1402080820

Edit:
The release date in the pre-order page for The Elder Scrolls: Bladesjust changed to March 28 (was March 31st before). This seems to indicate that the game will be released tomorrow:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-elder-scrolls-blades/id1358476597

We'll find out in a few hours when it should release in New Zealand.

(Seems like the game will require an invite first even if you can download the game from the App Store.)

Edit 2:
The Witcher-based card game Gwent is coming to iOS first this fall:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/gw...-fall-2019-iphone-first-android-later.107883/

Last edited:

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Subscription? Really? Games as a service, life as a service, everything as a service nowadays... i dont like it one bit m, not at all

Yepppp. I don't know anyone that likes the fact that tons of app developers have already been trying to implement subscription models to get people to pay for mobile software. I get why devs are doing it (they have to continuously update their products so they work with the latest versions of iOS and Apple hardware, and that costs money), but no one's happy about it.

While it's nice that Apple Arcade is a better value proposition (in theory) by bundling a bunch of games into a single subscription, they'll have to do more than just put good games on it to convince a large audience it's worth buying into. Curious to see if Apple is anticipating this reality or not.

If not, I could easily see Apple's solution to goosing Arcade's numbers being a price structure that bundles Arcade into existing Apple subscriptions. Again though, info is scant.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Yepppp. I don't know anyone that likes the fact that tons of app developers have already been trying to implement subscription models to get people to pay for mobile software. I get why devs are doing it (they have to continuously update their products so they work with the latest versions of iOS and Apple hardware, and that costs money), but no one's happy about it.

While it's nice that Apple Arcade is a better value proposition (in theory) by bundling a bunch of games into a single subscription, they'll have to do more than just put good games on it to convince a large audience it's worth buying into. Curious to see if Apple is anticipating this reality or not.

If not, I could easily see Apple's solution to goosing Arcade's numbers being a price structure that bundles Arcade into existing Apple subscriptions. Again though, info is scant.

While it does create some problems for archiving games, something the App Store struggles with already, it should also be noted that most games will surely be temporary exclusive to Apple Arcade and thus be available as standalone purchase afterwards.

For the subscriber then, this is kinda hard to beat as a proposition. You get plenty of premium, no iAP, no usage tracking games in a wide variety of genres with excellent developers already familiar with mobile (seriously the indie lineup is out of this world and features almost every amazing indie developers that brought games to mobile for the last five years) and featuring cross-platform connectivity and controller support under one subscription possibly for something as low as $9.99 with plenty more added over time.

As I see it, the problem is more with how you pay the devs and how to create a sustainable economy for them. But at least on mobile, it doesn't seem like there's a way to grow premium mobile gaming without such a system. The past shows that anything not free won't get the traction it needs to survive except for a few indie devs. As such, plenty have fled to Nintendo's Switch hence the drought in releases in 2018 and early 2019. We even got games like Civilization VI soon after its PC release as a full, paid app and that also seemed to have failed.

I do think that the history of the App Store shows that on that scale nothing but a backed Apple initiative will work with a curated system. Subscription seems like the logical way to go here and should offer some amazing value for the players. In the end, this is the "Premium App Store" that has been rumored since at least iOS 7 or 8.

A bundle of all the announced subscriptions will surely be available though or they're letting plenty of money on the table.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
I think a bundle of all the Apple services by the end year is likely, though I don't think its to do with fudging any numbers, just getting people in as many services as possible and locking them into the ecosystem.

Apple has tried individually purchased apps for over 10 years, and it's just not working out anymore.
Personally, Apple Arcade looks perfect. High quality, top tier games across all apple devices (including Apple TV!) for one low price a month? sign me up!

Sure we don't know about price, I would expect it to be ~$10. I would expect Oceanhorn 2 to be around that price and we are talking about potentially another 99 great games as well.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what the install size of Blades is? Initial download is only 146 MB. Clearly that isn't the actual size.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
That's the deal to get on Apple Arcade.
Wait. Arcade requires games to be exclusive? WTF? I hate, hate, HATE exclusive games. It's a shitty way to run a service/store. It's like, "Hey, we can't or won't compete with a worthwhile service, but you know game X you want to play? Guess what. You have to get it through us. muHAHAHAHHAHA!" Fuck that noise.

We'll see how this plays out. I'm still not sure about these game subscriptions. I love Spotify because that has basically everything. I also like Netflix because I can always find something worth watching. For me games are a bit different. There are usually specific games I want to play, not just ones that might happen to be on a service. But again, we'll see...

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
You may not even be able to buy Oceanhorn 2 separately at all for a while at least.

right, I'm saying that if Oceanhorn was just a standlone app I would expect it to be at least $7 - $10. I don't expect Apple Arcade games to be available for individual purchase for a long, long time, if ever.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Wait. Arcade requires games to be exclusive? WTF? I hate, hate, HATE exclusive games. It's a shitty way to run a service/store. It's like, "Hey, we can't or won't compete with a worthwhile service, but you know game X you want to play? Guess what. You have to get it through us. muHAHAHAHHAHA!" Fuck that noise.

We'll see how this plays out. I'm still not sure about these game subscriptions. I love Spotify because that has basically everything. I also like Netflix because I can always find something worth watching. For me games are a bit different. There are usually specific games I want to play, not just ones that might happen to be on a service. But again, we'll see...

Well in this case it's pretty normal since those are funded by Apple directly. They are exclusive to mobile by the way but can be found on other consoles including the Nintendo Switch.

Anyone know what the install size of Blades is? Initial download is only 146 MB. Clearly that isn't the actual size.

For now servers aren't up so it's impossible to know.

Edit:

Nyamyamgames creators of the beautiful pop-up story Tengami are coming back with Astrologaster and you can pre-order today for $4.99. The game will launched on May 2nd:

This one uses the same art technique but in a "sitcom-style" medical comedy that features multiple characters and stories intertwining. Looks really intriguing!

Last edited:

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Trailer for the spiritual successor to Her Story, Telling Lies coming first to mobile and PC:

Last edited:

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Why would a globally released game need to have an invite system?

It's been done in the past (Fortnite did this for example) often to test servers and act as a different kind of soft launch and the first description of the game implied that you couldn't play without one. It's been changed with the latest patch and doesn't require one.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Still a preorder for me as well.

On a side note, I've never been so excited about a WWDC as I am now (and I really loved seeing the new iOS last years).
The more I heard about Apple Arcade (spoke to some devs I know too, unfortunately everyone is under HEAVY NDA), the more I am excited...sometimes it seems like Apple made it just for me.

I have yet to read all my twitter timeline but if those tweets from the always awesome Killercow are true....(totally expecting to read they were fake soon tough, don't spoil me please, let me savior the moment)....

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Blades downloaded on Android here. Well, just the first 86MB, showing a small introduction and some (boring) combat. Now have to wait to be selected to download the rest