• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know of any games that are similar to Theme or Two Point Hospital for iPad? Not necessarily a hospital setting but something were I can do similar things in a free mode.

Also, how is Barbearian? Looks kinda interesting but from the trailer in the Appstore I don't get any impression if it is played with a controller or touchcontrols.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
The tutorial is trash but after 20 minutes I must say Elder Scrolls Blades is surely impressive. I would have never thought it could play so well in portrait.

Tons of things has yet to be seen (I just set free some people) but while yesterday, before being activated for the early access, the impression was meh now that I played a bit I can't wait to play more.

Battery usage and device heating seems acceptable (for comparison, Fortnite makes my iPhone X a heater after just 10 seconds).
Graphics and more important the mood is great so far.

Would love something like this, fully premium, for Apple Arcade.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
The tutorial is trash but after 20 minutes I must say Elder Scrolls Blades is surely impressive. I would have never thought it could play so well in portrait.

Tons of things has yet to be seen (I just set free some people) but while yesterday, before being activated for the early access, the impression was meh now that I played a bit I can't wait to play more.

Battery usage and device heating seems acceptable (for comparison, Fortnite makes my iPhone X a heater after just 10 seconds).
Graphics and more important the mood is great so far.

Would love something like this, fully premium, for Apple Arcade.

Still waiting here! Hopefully will get to try it soon :) But good to hear some positive impressions, I've read some pretty brutal things and that tutorial... What were they thinking seriously.

Poyon

Mar 26, 2019
Apple Arcade sounds pretty exciting. I'm glad Apple is stepping up and helping to fund some of these games. At the right price (I'm assuming $9.99), it'll be a killer deal. I do think it would be better if it was like the XBox Game Pass and you could purchase the games separately, but bundling them together still makes for a good deal if they can deliver on the promise a variety of great premium experiences. And I'd be shocked if the games weren't able to be sold separately on the app store after a certain amount of time.

I am curious to see how the developers will all get paid out, though.

Trailer for the spiritual successor to Her Story, Telling Lies coming first to mobile and PC:

I loved Her Story, it was one of my favorite games of 2015. Admittedly, I initially played it on PC, but I'm glad this one will be available on mobile and PC simultaneously.

For those interested, Sam Barlow was interviewed by UsGamer about the game. Seems like he really invested in this game, I was particualraly interested to see that he hired a co-writer who had written for Mr. Robot and Maniac (two great and twisty shows).

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Still waiting here! Hopefully will get to try it soon :) But good to hear some positive impressions, I've read some pretty brutal things and that tutorial... What were they thinking seriously.

Played a bit more and I encountered the usual freemium stuff....chests that require time to be opened, gems and all sorts of materials, Clash Royale style.
BUT I also encountered a boss, a secret passage, some dialogues, new weapons....all things that despite the freemium things I hate got me intrigued.

I'll play more in 3 hours and report back.

Technically, it is a little marvel (even if everything is a little too clean for my tastes, a bit different from the trailer...maybe it's because I have a iPhone X).

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Make a thread about a premium, good-looking mobile game and get barely over 10 posts.

Make a thread about a freemium mobile game but with a brand name slapped on top and get over 5 pages with complaints about how all mobile games are the same.

Sigh.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Make a thread about a premium, good-looking mobile game and get barely over 10 posts.

Make a thread about a freemium mobile game but with a brand name slapped on top and get over 5 pages with complaints about how all mobile games are the same.

Sigh.

There will always be the people that actually dig deep into what the mobile market can offer and those that stare at it with derision from a distance. Things like Blades make it much easier for players to fall into the latter camp instead of the former.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
2 hours in ES Blades.

The freemium is strong in this one, but nothing blocks you from playing further (for now).
Not sure there is a grand story to follow, for now are all mini missions, but different enemies keeps them interesting so far.

Playing on portrait is pure joy, must confess, it's really well done and thought.
I don't care about building the city so the main hook of the game doesn't do anything to me.
I much prefer exploring looking for secrets fighting monsters.

It's very well done, gentle on the battery and doesn't transform my iPhone in a heater, while the graphics is fantastic and the music is even better.

I'll keep playing and it's quite an achievement for sure (I don't get all the negativity) even if I can't stop thinking how better it would have been a 5-10 hours premium action rpg.

It doesn't have the same impact of Infinity Blade, which I miss even more after playing this one.
Infinity Blade graphical achievement was bigger back in the days (IB2 with its huge monsters and combos were probably the most glorious thing I ever saw on iOS).
ES Blades is close.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I see about Elder Scrolls Blades reminds me of The Quest -- an RPG that came out on iOS around like 2009 (and has been constantly updated ever since) and is fairly similar to Elder Scrolls, only turn-based. That was the game that showed me that a big, complex 3D RPG was possible on a phone.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't appear to be the case. At least on android

After pre-registering long ago, Blades disappeared from the Play Store on my device yesterday - following the store page link reveals that it's 'not compatible' with my device (Nokia 7 Plus). Seems to be a rather limited list of compatible hardware.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best puzzle RPG?

Hero Emblems.

Wish there was a list somewhere of games with iPhone X support or a way to identify them on the App Store.

Discovered yesterday that one of my favorite racers, Repulze, has X support. Looks awesome for how long ago it game out.

Luke from radiangames told me he's working on making some of his old games have it as well. Looking forward to having those in widescreen.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Hero Emblems.

Wish there was a list somewhere of games with iPhone X support or a way to identify them on the App Store.

Discovered yesterday that one of my favorite racers, Repulze, has X support. Looks awesome for how long ago it game out.

Luke from radiangames told me he's working on making some of his old games have it as well. Looking forward to having those in widescreen.
-Ticket to Earth
-Pixel Defenders Puzzle
-Sdorica
Thanks!

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
It may not look like much but Pixelot is so good. Fun little RPG that reminds me a but of Doom & Destiny with the sense of humor. Great music too.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Playing ES Blades further caused mixed opinions on it. There is a grand story to follow after all and enemies really get hard after a while and you must build up your char and buy better weapons to have a chance of survival which is cool and general action RPGs signature but everything fails under the free to play model having you grinding...which makes the game and the very basic combat repetitive. A pity because if the flaw wasn't interrupted by timers and grinding, it would be a cool distilled TES experience but the free roaming (a big but) appreaciating the fact that different enemies require different approaches/weapons/skill trees/magic.

Anyway the graphics is truly great and power consumption is great as well. Almost no heating at all after hours...truly a technical achievement imho.

BUT....and I know they are completely different games...all this has me re download the Infinity Blade series which was removed from the AppStore but still works flawlessly.
Poly count is lower but they are still impressive but more important...combat is magnitudes better. And I truly have passion for the world of Raidrar, Ausar, The Worker and the whole setting.

I'm already pretty convinced by Apple Arcade (seems to be tailor made on my tastes) and I know and my son habits always reminds me that all Epic thinks about is their money making Fortnite....but if only they would announce Infinity Blade 4 or Infinity Blade remastered for Apple Arcade....I would be over the moon.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
It may not look like much but Pixelot is so good. Fun little RPG that reminds me a but of Doom & Destiny with the sense of humor. Great music too.
I wanted to grab a new game for my flight this morning, and saw this post. This is perfect for that. The game doesn't explain much (and the mini-tutorial seems oddly placed as I don't know how you get that far without figuring out the basics), but it's not complicated. That's meant as a compliment as these lighter RPGs can be great fun. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cultist Simulator also looks interesting. I don't know much about that game, but the app store description warns that there is no tutorial? Not sure I have the patience for another game like that...

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Played too much Cultist Simulator last night, huge headache today at work.
Sorry not sorry.

Game is awesome imho, couldn't stop…did 3 complete runs (always failed) but each one was better than previous one.

It's part boardgame, part narrative game, part deck builder.
It's very difficult to explain but…if you like the general setting/idea…go blind, don't read anything.
Learning how to play/the UI is a fundamental part of the experience and tied to the narrative.
It's not that hard to figure it out…you will at first say something like:

'I have no idea of what I'm doing but the writing is good'

then

'Oh…then I need this not to die'

then

'Ok, I need this and this to free my imprisoned cultist to spread the word about the…'

then

'I cracked it. I'll get best ending in half an hour!!!'

Of course 3 hours later you will die nonetheless, but you will experience always different stories in the same setting.

After a while, you will recognize the general color coding of the cards, looking actively for some cards while trying to avoid others.
Meanwhile you will be always entertained by really great writing, fast enough to be enjoyable without being too verbose (way less verbose than Fallen London/Sunless Sea but still great).

If you can, I suggest to start playing on a bigger device, then move to iPhone (UI is great but you will want to know a bit of the cards/colors before stressing out your eyes).

Game supports seamless device sync via iCloud.

The best thing about the game is how well the deck building mechanics are tied to the narrative, every verb (the square icons) you combine with a card make sense from a narrative point of view creating a great story flow.

Technically it is great....great music, great sounds, great subtle animations...everything really capture you and let you live in this weird oneiric lovecratian early 900 world.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Just bought it and I genuinely had no idea what am I doing. Any tutorials?

My advice (I knew nothing about the game till yesterday) would be...keep playing...even if it seems random.
Experiment here and there...after a bit it will be more clear.
After 2-3 horrible deaths you will be able to teach a thing or two to Lovecraft.

One thing I didn't realize immediately was that you can press on empty card slots to see which cards can go in (instead of trying them all).

Try to keep yourself alive...be curious...things will open up (just before you die :P).

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
It just there were 2 countdown timers, and I had no idea which one I had to pay attention too, and suddenly I have cards to collect LMAO.

Still have 48 hours to play and to consider to keep it or refund.

Edit: understand a lil bit, but wondering why some of my cards got burned?

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
It just there were 2 countdown timers, and I had no idea which one I had to pay attention too, and suddenly I have cards to collect LMAO.

Still have 48 hours to play and to consider to keep it or refund.

Edit: understand a lil bit, but wondering why some of my cards got burned?

I consider the following text not spoilers, just how the game works mechanically (or so I think) but if you want to go blind, don't read this....you'll figure it out in 2 runs at most imho.

The squared icons are 'actions' you can do on cards. Cards are stats, locations, NPCs, items...

You combine cards with actions...after a bit of time (the timers) something happens...ie you collect cards (the products of those activated actions). With the new cards you can do more things....
Some cards are temporary...they can give you temporary boosts or aids, or something bad happens if you reach a zero value (like zero health or money).

Example....you have a 'shady bookshop' card.
If you put it on the explore square and then add some money on it (the text will change accordingly....you are buying old tomes because you are interested in ....) after a while you will collect another interesting location, or maybe an old book you may want to study to uncover an old myth....etc...etc...
After a while you will have to juggle between keeping yourself alive, out of prison, making friends, converting them into cultists, build an operational base, research myths, embark in expeditions....

Hope it helps!!!!

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, all, I really need to update that OT huh? Have been out of the mobile gaming loop for a while and haven't been buying or playing much either

But I did buy Cultist Simulator. It's a fantastic port, although I do hope it gets the Dancer DLC in the future

If you enjoyed Fallen London, Sunless Sea, A Dark Room, Sorcery and 80 Days, then Cultist Simulator is probably ridiculously up your alley. While its presentation is that of a card game, I think it's better to think of it as an abstracted text adventure. The square icons are your verbs (ie the text adventure equivalent of Walk, Read, Talk, Look, etc) and the cards are your items, resources, and so on

It's certainly a confusing game, but one that encourages and rewards experimentation. There's so much depth and possibility, more freedom than a text adventure, while being more focused due to the card-based design.

As much as I love Fallen London, Cultist Simulator is the ultimate Lovecraftian game. It delves into truly otherworldly and eldritch horrors, places, concepts, and lets you wield them to your own ascension...or destruction. The text is more pithy than Fallen London but packs so much imagination-sparking details into concise prose. I can't think of any other game with these kind of themes that explores them so passionately and goes to the wonderfully weird places that Cultist Simulator does

As a port, it feels perfect for mobile. Combing from PC, the touch interface is very natural

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Welcome back More_Badass, you've been missed!!!!!
I started playing Cultist Simulator just yesterday but I'm already in love and I too think it's better than Fallen London or Sunless Sky.

I've now finally cracked the first expeditions....GLORIOUS.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now I think I'm getting better. Got my first disciple then he recruited someone. Got reporter, detective, and HQ cards

Few questions about cultist

1. How do I make money? I'm running out of funds
2. Can someone explain it to me why do some "boxes" with magnet automatically pulled my cards? I tried to put some from my deck, but it couldn't work, yet they pulled some from my deck.
3. Why do some cards got burned from decks?

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Cultist simulator is fantastic, really pleased that it has come to mobile.

Does it play ok on a phone screen? It seems like things might get a bit small

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Cultist simulator is fantastic, really pleased that it has come to mobile.

Does it play ok on a phone screen? It seems like things might get a bit small

It is a bit small but playable. Only thing I don't like is it's quite easy to keep hitting the line to swipe out of the app when using the cards at the bottom. Especially when your frantically racing against time to figure out what to do on some of these things.

I still don't know what the heck I'm doing and not totally sure how I feel about the game but it's still bizarrely intriguing.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, now I think I'm getting better. Got my first disciple then he recruited someone. Got reporter, detective, and HQ cards

Few questions about cultist

1. How do I make money? I'm running out of funds
2. Can someone explain it to me why do some "boxes" with magnet automatically pulled my cards? I tried to put some from my deck, but it couldn't work, yet they pulled some from my deck.
3. Why do some cards got burned from decks?
1) Are you doing work? Putting your job card in the Work node? Also depending on your starting class/position, you can sell stuff for money
2) Think of those magnet nodes as status effects. The hourglass is basically time passing, and you automatically spend money to keep living, or else you suffer starvation or other health issues. If you're sick or dying, then that node automatically draws from your health cards (mirroring losing health from negative status effects)
3) Those cards have timers on them, and are temporary. You can see the timers by clicking them. You can think of those as buffs/debuffs such as Restlessness.