• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, everyone, apologies for my lack of presence in these threads. It's been a number of factors: got a part-time retail job, more responsibilities for my main work-from-home job, stopped writing for sites so haven't been following mobile as closely as I used to, and in general cutting back on gaming purchases so haven't been buying or playing many mobile games either. Or making big threads like OTs or the yearly voting threads like I used to. You've no doubt noticed that I tried to switch to bi-monthly for the mobile threads but between the holiday season and the aforementioned stuff, that didn't exactly work out either

So
I love these threads (main reason I come to ResetEra, daily), so I hope this suggestion isn't taken in the wrong way. I think we should just do a yearly thread and each month, or whenever More_Badass has time, update the first post with some of the recent greats. Most of the months have ended up shifted due to updating them being a time consuming process. Also, having them as one or two months sometimes breaks up some ongoing discussions. Since it is January 2019, maybe it wouldn't be a bad time to start a yearly thread? Sorry, if this is an unpopular idea.
I really like this idea. If anything, that harkens back to the original mobile megathreads that this community started as way back on GAF. And the new features like threadmarks makes it easier to collate and update the OTs.

So since this thread has been active, I'll put that together to start in February.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The Escapists 2: Pocket Breakout launches on iOS, Android and Amazon devices on January 31st 2019.

Pre-register on iOS: http://bit.ly/TE2PocketBreakoutiOS
Pre-register on Android: http://bit.ly/TE2PocketBreakoutAndroid

The first one is still on the top paid charts on the app store almost 3 years later so it's not too surprising that they decided to port the second one as well. Might pick this one up since the sequel has a much better checkpoint and save system in place that makes it good for picking up and playing for a little bit before putting it down.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
This looks sweet! Loving the art style.

I bought it. Cool game. At first I didn't like that it was tap to move but then it made sense. You're ship or whatever it is basically is your weapon and the movement differs based up what that weapon is.

Requires different strategy depending on what weapon you use. And you earn unlocks with "souls" that you collect and can use to improve to get further even after you die. Haven't gotten far yet but see myself putting some time into it.

Love the graphics and atmosphere of the game.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think I'm going to play through the Talos Principle on iOS.

Even on an XS Max the framerate is all over the place (sometimes it's super smooth, but it dips a LOT) and either the aliasing is poor or the resolution is kinda low (or both).

It probably doesn't help that I just played through The Witness which was a rock solid port, but It's still a bit disappointing.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A1iesCh.jpg

DROP 7 LIVES!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Don't think I'm going to play through the Talos Principle on iOS.

Even on an XS Max the framerate is all over the place (sometimes it's super smooth, but it dips a LOT) and either the aliasing is poor or the resolution is kinda low (or both).

It probably doesn't help that I just played through The Witness which was a rock solid port, but It's still a bit disappointing.

is The Witness updated for the X/XS?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty much done with Eggs Inc, so I've been looking for new idle/clicker games. Idler Miner is kinda nice, but sadly, it's littered with prompts to buy IAPs, watch ads, invite friends, connect the game with Facebook/Instagram and so on. Fuck that.

8sanders

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty much done with Eggs Inc, so I've been looking for new idle/clicker games. Idler Miner is kinda nice, but sadly, it's littered with prompts to buy IAPs, watch ads, invite friends, connect the game with Facebook/Instagram and so on. Fuck that.
Realm grinder is the best I've played. Don't want to give any spoilers, but once you prestige enough and unlock A certain faction the game really opens up to new possibilities.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
i bet. how's the fps? i have an iPhone X now but the screen is too small
30, but it was rock solid for me the whole game.

Only real downgrade from the PC version is shadows can be a little jaggy, but when they matter for puzzles they're perfectly fine. Maybe some of the tree leaves are downgraded, but it still looks great.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Hmm. Retro Pixel was free on the Google Play store a couple of days ago, having fun with it. Slightly wonky controls, but its a fun Ataru style platformer with a miniscule storybtold in a neat way.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Is there not anyone else playing Backfire? It is so good. Easily the best arcade shooter on iOS in ages. Gives me vibes of oldies like Tilt to Live and Silverfish crossed with a twisted rogue-like atmosphere of the Binding of Isaac but yet completely unique. While it takes a bit to get familiar with the mechanics, it is brilliant.

I'd go as far as to say it deserves to be regarded as a mobile classic.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Is there not anyone else playing Backfire? It is so good. Easily the best arcade shooter on iOS in ages. Gives me vibes of oldies like Tilt to Live and Silverfish crossed with a twisted rogue-like atmosphere of the Binding of Isaac but yet completely unique. While it takes a bit to get familiar with the mechanics, it is brilliant.

I'd go as far as to say it deserves to be regarded as a mobile classic.
I'm currently playing in and will have more impressions later. So far though I'm loving it for all the things you said as well!

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really new, but a nice update.

In the past, I have only seen dev for Slay the Spire mention ports would come after full release and perhaps some small mentions of a mobile port (which I cannot find or confirm). This tweet seems to (re)confirm mobile is planned and this tweet seems to suggest we'll see news about ports in February.

Some interesting iOS sales:
- Bridge Constructor Portal $1.99 USD ($2.79 CAD)
- Hidden Folks $0.99 USD ($1.39 CAD)

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Night of the Full Moon got a huge new update today. New character (werewolf), 80+ new cards, mode, new blessings, new plot and more.

Have to mix this back in along with Silent Abyss for my rogue-like card game fix!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just got an iPhone SE (looking to possibly replace my expensive XS Max, if I can adjust to the small size and if the battery is manageable), and have been testing out some games on it.

Surprised how well The Witness runs on it, definitely not as good as the Max, but still perfectly playable.

More surprising is that I actually like playing Talos Principle more on the SE than I did on the Max. I don't know if the Max's high res screen hurts the framerate or if the SE's smaller screen makes it less noticeable, but I'm definitely liking it a little better.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Critically acclaimed space sim "Star Traders: Frontiers" by Trese Brothers (Templar: Battleforce) is out next week on iOS and Android for $6.99:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...aders-frontiers-is-heading-to-ios-and-android
Nice, that's a great game, played a ton of it on my pc and the devs are mega active at keeping it updated with new content. Can't speak for the quality of the iOS and Android ports but if they are decent then I would certainly recommend it.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I've read all sort of horror things about Alien blackout and Alien (first one) is my fav movie of all time (generally a recipe for disaster)....but I was actually blown away by my first 20 minutes of playing it tucked in bed with headphones.
Will report back when I've played more but so far it's like I'M IN THE MOVIE.

Oh, btw...all crewmemebers died in the very first 10 minutes or so. AWESOME.

Oct 29, 2017
I've read all sort of horror things about Alien blackout and Alien (first one) is my fav movie of all time (generally a recipe for disaster)....but I was actually blown away by my first 20 minutes of playing it tucked in bed with headphones.

Spoiler?

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Nah, I think that's because he sucks. 😂

LOL Yeah....I gave up in trying to have all crew members alive (it's cool to hear the diffeeent dialogues anyway) but I'm still in the second level.
It's way better than I thought it would have been after all the rage and I'm actually really liking it.
It's super tense and captures perfectly the movie mood.
Graphics is awesome (be sure to deactivate battery saving which was weirdly on by default on my iPhone for 60 smooth FPS) and sound design is GLORIOUS and I really like the 'console watching' type of gameplay (Deadnaut on PC is one of my fav games).

Actually it's very similar to Deadnaut with less RPG and procedural storytelling substituted by a (fixed) story.

I noticed when you have multiple possible objectives...the 'right' one seems to be always the same, making the game a bit easier (not sure if they will be randomized in future levels).

Anyway, I'm having a blast so far.
Played around 2 hours (LOL I've read people have completed it in less than that and I'm still in second level which is apparently still the tutorial).

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
So......I died like a million times already and I'm maybe the only one in the world but I'm immensely enjoying Alien blackout.
I wish you could skip the initial dialogue/cutscene because you really can't wait to die again when you restart a level (but I understand that it's for the sake of consistency) but other than that so far I have only praises.
It really captures the movies vibes (especially first one). Sound design is AMAZING.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Really like the original game so probably gonna try this one out as well:

Tried it out and eh. I like the more level like structure of the first compared to the arcadey nature of Hole in One.

This is great news, I was all for it despite everyone being down on it. Cannot wait to get it installed on my phone.

This looks beautiful!!

Oh this looks lush. I hope crescent moon brings it to android, but they are usually good on this.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
This is great news, I was all for it despite everyone being down on it. Cannot wait to get it installed on my phone.

This is from a huge Alien movie fan, so YMMV.
I actually feel I'm in the movie.
I never played FNAF so I don't know if it's a clone, reminds me Republique and Deadnaut (on PC, there should be a free demo too).
You control Amanda Ripley hidden in a air ventilation shaft and you must guide some crew members in different maps.
You do so checking frantically the (few) avaible cameras, using (limited) power to open/close doors, activate motion trackers etc...and finger tracing their paths. You can also issue commands like hide/run/etc...
There is a quite good AI too, both for your crewmembers (sometimes they run away from Alien and stay hidden on their own) and the Alien...which you can lure away with sounds (doors...but after a while it understands the trick and use the shafts...it is incredibly fast too).
On top of that, using sounds, you must keep yourself alive closing the nearby doors when the Xenomorph attacks you.
Crew members constantly talk, and while they are no Hicks or Dallas they are quite good.

I don't know if it's incredibly short...I know there are 7 levels with a 8 minutes time constraint each so if you are awesome and lucky the game will last you less than one hour.
I know I'm on level 3 after 3 hours or so of playtime and I'm having a total blast (tonight I'll watch Alien again for the millionth time). Maybe I just suck at the game but they were 5 dollars well spent.
I spent way more for much less enjoyment and length for the other crappy Alien movies at the cinemas.

Just my 2 cents, hope you will like it as I do....let me know!

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I never, ever, buy two games at once or a new one before having completed the actual one....but I needed something more serene to play during the day while saving Alien blackout for night time.
So I bought Legends of Andor.
Whoa.
Best boardgame implementation since years...probably since Elder Sign Omens.
If you are into the boardgame, it's highly recommended as well.
Gorgeous graphics and general app polish too.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I never, ever, buy two games at once or a new one before having completed the actual one....but I needed something more serene to play during the day while saving Alien blackout for night time.
So I bought Legends of Andor.
Whoa.
Best boardgame implementation since years...probably since Elder Sign Omens.
If you are into the boardgame, it's highly recommended as well.
Gorgeous graphics and general app polish too.

You have piqued my interest.

How does the game play and how's replayability?

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
You have piqued my interest.

How does the game play and how's replayability?

There are 12 legends to play plus tutorial.the legends tells a different story arc than the boardgame (same and consistent setting of course).
I'm still at third, mind you....failed it a ton at normal difficulty....trying all sort of different strategies but they always destroy my castle before I manage to kill the siege troll.
The gameplay is exactly as the boardgame, as far as I can tell (they tweaked the dwarf warrior special ability but I don't remember well).
Story and quests are always the same; elements of variability are random dice of course and fog (placing of things inside fog is random).
UI is excellent.
It's crashy on iPad Air (dev told me a patch is in the works for next week) but plays wonderfully on iPhone X (no sync tough).
Tell me if you need more!!!