• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing everyone heard about the Supreme Court ruling that lawsuits against Apple for its monopolistic App Store practices can continue. Will be interesting to see if any of them succeed and if Apple will be forced to open their ecosystem up to let other storefronts sell apps for their devices like occurs on Android.

Could hurt Apple's profits for sure. Though I'm sure 95% of Android downloads are still from Google Play so perhaps the same would occur on iOS.

https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...lass-action-lawsuit-against-apple-can-advance

Also, GTA Chinatown Wars updated with X support!

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guessing everyone heard about the Supreme Court ruling that lawsuits against Apple for its monopolistic App Store practices can continue. Will be interesting to see if any of them succeed and if Apple will be forced to open their ecosystem up to let other storefronts sell apps for their devices like occurs on Android.

Could hurt Apple's profits for sure. Though I'm sure 95% of Android downloads are still from Google Play so perhaps the same would occur on iOS.

https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...lass-action-lawsuit-against-apple-can-advance

Also, GTA Chinatown Wars updated with X support!
It may, but at least Android users have a choice. As well as Android developers.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the game Rusty Pup (currently on sale for $4.99 from $6.99). Very cool so far. You guide a little puppy on a unicycle through a cyberpunk, machinery world to stop him from dying in masochistic ways.

You don't control him directly but instead use lights and switches as well as building bridges, etc. to force him to go along the path you want. So it's more of a puzzle game than a platformer.

Nice dark atmosphere and graphics (it's a PC port). Touch controls work well. Worth checking out!

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Pixel Puzzle Collection is a bit odd. In addition to the normal puzzles, there are boss puzzles that unlock on a timer. When you beat one you have to wait three hours to play another. I've cleared all the regular puzzles and I'm at 79.8% complete. There are still ~100 boss puzzles left.

I don't understand why it works this way. There's an expert mode to unlock at 100% and that'll take weeks, for no reason.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Pixel Puzzle Collection is a bit odd. In addition to the normal puzzles, there are boss puzzles that unlock on a timer. When you beat one you have to wait three hours to play another. I've cleared all the regular puzzles and I'm at 79.8% complete. There are still ~100 boss puzzles left.

I don't understand why it works this way. There's an expert mode to unlock at 100% and that'll take weeks, for no reason.

Yeah, when I realised that structural thing I adapted my play habits; now I play on the commute to and from work, starting with a boss puzzle and maybe doing a normal one or two afterwards, and once again in bed. Three sessions a day, considerable gaps between them. Maybe an extra one or two sessions at the weekend.

I deliberately ration myself to not go all-in on conventional puzzles. To be fair, I like Picross, but it does tend to wear thin if I do a lot of puzzles back-to-back (and these aren't terribly hard, at least in the normal bracket; generally I'm done with a puzzle in around five minutes at most), so spreading out the play comes naturally.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yeah, when I realised that structural thing I adapted my play habits; now I play on the commute to and from work, starting with a boss puzzle and maybe doing a normal one or two afterwards, and once again in bed. Three sessions a day, considerable gaps between them. Maybe an extra one or two sessions at the weekend.

I deliberately ration myself to not go all-in on conventional puzzles. To be fair, I like Picross, but it does tend to wear thin if I do a lot of puzzles back-to-back (and these aren't terribly hard, at least in the normal bracket; generally I'm done with a puzzle in around five minutes at most), so spreading out the play comes naturally.
When I first got the game and saw the limited number of hints, and the boss timer, I thought "damn, this is a microtransactions game after all". The app description even says you get 10 free hints. I wonder if it was initially developed as an MT game.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Raw Fury games are as cheap as they never been before.

Kingdom for 2.99
Dandara for 2.99
Kathy Rain for 0.99

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
My PC sucks so can't play anything all that graphically intensive but playing Slay the Spire on my Apple TV!

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have yet to pair it to my computer (which sucks so this is pretty useless for me right now) but the first screen I'm greeted with asks me to

1) Pair it to a Steam controller
2) Pair it to a MiFi controller
3) Use it with touch controls

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to pair it to my computer (which sucks so this is pretty useless for me right now) but the first screen I'm greeted with asks me to

1) Pair it to a Steam controller
2) Pair it to a MiFi controller
3) Use it with touch controls

Touch controls, nice! I'm trying this when I get the chance.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Steam Link app so far for me is more stable and relatively lag free compared to the physical Steam Link device itself for me. I'm pretty impressed and happy with how well it works.

Think it actually performs better than the Android version that I run on my Shield TV but perhaps that runs better now if there have been some updates.

I don't game much on my PC. Have consoles as my gaming at home go to. But this is a nice option for games that aren't even on them - like Slay the Spire.

(And I don't have a Nvidia CPU).

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
So just tied Slay the Spire on my iPhone and it works absolutely perfect with Steam Link. Just as if it were made for mobile.

Very impressive!

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Question to people who have steam link app, can you play non-steam games added to steam on steam link?

I won't be able to try this out until later, after I get home. Thanks.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure but they do need to have big picture mode support. Do non-Steam games work with that?

That I do not know as I also haven't tried it yet, but the Steam Link app will give me a reason to try it out now. LOL.

Just wanted to know beforehand as I'm excited to try this out. LOL. The soonest I can be able to try this out is later tonight when I get home. Will post if I manage to get it to work or not. :)

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like that since Moonlight does what you're looking for. Thus I now have two options to control my mouse:

Relative with moonlight
Direct touch with Steam Link

For games like into the breach and mouse heavy games it works better by tapping directly than using relative touch controls.

Gotta disagree with you there. Direct tapping essentially breaks Into the Breach. You can't really select anything without tapping and dragging over to it. You can "sort of" play it, but you'll make a lot of misclicks, close a lot of menus, and spend reputation on stuff you didn't mean to.

That entire game is built around being able to hover over something to get information before clicking and doing something with that info.

Edit: Also, I don't have an Nvidia card, so Moonlight has never been an option for me. Glad to know someone is offering that though.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Into the Breach is probably too intricate to play with touch controls on the Steam Link app. But something like Slay the Spire works beautifully.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta disagree with you there. Direct tapping essentially breaks Into the Breach. You can't really select anything without tapping and dragging over to it. You can "sort of" play it, but you'll make a lot of misclicks, close a lot of menus, and spend reputation on stuff you didn't mean to.

That entire game is built around being able to hover over something to get information before clicking and doing something with that info.

Edit: Also, I don't have an Nvidia card, so Moonlight has never been an option for me. Glad to know someone is offering that though.

Were you playing on an iPhone or iPad? I tried both control method yesterday on my iPad and felt that directly touching felt better. I didn't play a whole lot of it so maybe my opinion would change after a while but I didn't misclick during my time with it.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
I like its vibe and the infinite mode. The campaign and speedrun modes make me want to rip my hair out though.

Yeah but i cant shake off the feeling that i played that game but in a different coat of paint, with better music and more catchy (Super Hexagon, rather obvious)

Also, has anyone attempted to play Hollow Knight or Ori on the Steam app?

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Overhit (early launch Canada) turned out to be a shitheap of epic proportions. But it's Nexon, so I should've known better. Guess I'm stuck with E7 for the foreseeable future. Wish the damn game had auto-repeat, though.

Any other cool gachas on the horizon?

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but i cant shake off the feeling that i played that game but in a different coat of paint, with better music and more catchy (Super Hexagon, rather obvious)

It's got a bit of a Pac-Man vibe but still far from a clone of anything and I love it. Honestly like it more than Super Hexagon. Just my opinion.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Were you playing on an iPhone or iPad? I tried both control method yesterday on my iPad and felt that directly touching felt better. I didn't play a whole lot of it so maybe my opinion would change after a while but I didn't misclick during my time with it.

I was on an iPad. I can't imagine how you managed to play it just fine since, again, mouse hovering is essential to that game and direct touch doesn't really let you do that all that well.

Maybe you're just better at touchscreens than me though.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised that Wonder Boy preorders are still not up on iOS with less than two weeks to go. Wasn't there supposed to be a 30% discount for preorders?

Hope it isn't delayed.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Steam controller Mfi compatible? Or does it just work with the Steam app? Otherwise how is that Rotor Riot controller? I'm looking to get a Mfi controller with L/R3 ability, and that seems the only one?

After falling off iOS for the Switch, Arcade and the Steam app might change that...

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

I'm not sure this would change a lot other than allowing for content and business models that Apple doesn't allow on the App Store. Though I understand that might be big for some.

From a pure sales perspective, the alternate Android stores are barely worthwhile relative to the setup and support costs for the most part. Indeed, in our case almost every game we sold through an alternate store was a loss making exercise. I wouldn't be expecting an Epic Game Store situation any time soon.

What would be really interesting is if through this exercise the Apple developer TOS changes in any way, which would alter what developers can and can't do on the App Store itself.

Hmmm though I wonder whether Google would end up supporting iOS games on Google Play? That would be interesting.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Surprised that Wonder Boy preorders are still not up on iOS with less than two weeks to go. Wasn't there supposed to be a 30% discount for preorders?

Hope it isn't delayed.

If I recall well both Cultist Simulator and Teslagrad were the same. The promo lasts first day on the AppStore or something like that. Not sure why Playdigious does so.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Steam controller Mfi compatible? Or does it just work with the Steam app? Otherwise how is that Rotor Riot controller? I'm looking to get a Mfi controller with L/R3 ability, and that seems the only one?

After falling off iOS for the Switch, Arcade and the Steam app might change that...
Can someone tell me this as well?

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Looking a really solid premium Tower Defense game for my iPad Pro. I've played all the Kingdom Rush games and loved them so something similar. Wasn't a fan of Bloons but willing to give it another go as it seems really popular.

Alternatively, any decent premium strategy games would be welcomed!

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Looking a really solid premium Tower Defense game for my iPad Pro. I've played all the Kingdom Rush games and loved them so something similar. Wasn't a fan of Bloons but willing to give it another go as it seems really popular.

Alternatively, any decent premium strategy games would be welcomed!

Have you played the Dungeon Warfare games? They are excellent with lots of cool traps and quite challenging.

The Fieldrunners games are also good for a more standard TD. As are Defend the Cake and OTTD: Over the Top Tower Defense.

If you are looking for something.a little different, I also recommend Dark Zone Defense. It's not a traditional TD. You are just one tower but your enemies are coming at you in the dark. Have to move your light around and listen and watch your warning light to know if something is getting too close.

Incredibly challenging with some originality with weapons and abilities. In fact, been meaning to mention it here for everyone. Believe it's also on sale right now for $.99.

Last edited: