Mobile Gaming 2020 | No Coins Needed For This Arcade!

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Are the reviews in the App Store Astro turfing?
It definitely still happens. As a developer/publisher, we get "companies" offering bulk fake review services a couple of times a week, every week.

However, I don't think it is anywhere need the scale or prevalence of what it used to be. Apple and Google are slightly more savvy to it, and the stakes are higher if you are caught. I think the practise was probably peaking around 2012-2015 where the stores and underlying algorithms were more easily gamed and moderation/policing was limited.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Puzzle / platformer/ adventure port from Switch /PC. $2.99

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely still happens. As a developer/publisher, we get "companies" offering bulk fake review services a couple of times a week, every week.

However, I don't think it is anywhere need the scale or prevalence of what it used to be. Apple and Google are slightly more savvy to it, and the stakes are higher if you are caught. I think the practise was probably peaking around 2012-2015 where the stores and underlying algorithms were more easily gamed and moderation/policing was limited.
That’s interesting. Thanks for the insight

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it! For those who played Way of the Turtle at the service’s launch, there’s a huge update now available that adds a whole new chapter.
Looks like Sonic Racing had a big update too to add a new zone and three new tracks. I just wish they’d add a single player campaign.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
A premium pachinko game with no freemium nonsense. Almost a paradox when you think about it.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
The massive update to Stardew Valley, 1.4, is finally available on iOS with new end game activities, events, items and shops added:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The massive update to Stardew Valley, 1.4, is finally available on iOS with new end game activities, events, items and shops added:
Finally! I’ve been waiting for ages for this update to start on iOS.

Adam15

Nov 7, 2017
Tulsa
Such a great game and update!

Traxus

Jan 2, 2018
Hey guys, this might be a question for parents but I just got a kids Fire HD 8 tablet for my 1yo son and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some colorful games with easy minimal control input and clear feedback that I can play with him in short bursts. He gets so excited about pushing buttons, flipping switches, twisting knobs, and seeing things happen.

He knows how to turn my computer monitor on/off, and he'll turn on my phone and just start swiping things everywhere. Of course he's too young to just plop down in front of the tablet but I'd like to help him play some cool games if there are any he might have fun with.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
Just bought a new android phone (xiaomi m9t), I'm looking for good roguelikes, puzzle games and just generally relaxing/quick titles. Been out of the loop for a while

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a new android phone (xiaomi m9t), I'm looking for good roguelikes, puzzle games and just generally relaxing/quick titles. Been out of the loop for a while
-Void Tyrant
-Twinfold
-Dungeon Faster
-Runestone Keeper
-Starbeard
-You Must Build a Boat
-Icebreaker: A viking voyage
-inbento

Pachimari

Oct 25, 2017
After the 1.4 update I've started up a new game of Stardew Valley. But I feel like I'm just hopelessly fishing to earn some coins. Again.

Thinking of buying Florence.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Book of Demons is on iPad now, and it feels and plays great. It's 50% off during the launch window ($5). Consider giving it a go. It's depth and polish are far beyond a $5 game. One thing I love about it is that you can choose the size of the dungeon you want to clear depending on the amount of time you have. Makes it perfect for iPad.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Had slipped past me last year, but I hadn't realized that Mindustry had a full-fledged mobile port

It's Factorio- style large scale tower defense. On mobile. For only $0.99

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Had slipped past me last year, but I hadn't realized that Mindustry had a full-fledged mobile port

It's Factorio- style large scale tower defense. On mobile. For only $0.99
Actually had bought that but had a difficult time with the controls. Really hard to select things and sometimes seemed unresponsive. Maybe it would be better on iPad.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
How about some 16bit dungeon crawlers and relaxing sims a la kairosoft, any suggestions in that department?
Dungelot: Shattered Lands, Card Crawl, and Cardinal Quest 2 are good dungeon crawlers.

Pocket City is a relaxing premium city builder.
Tiny Tower is a freemium builder but it's not too greedy.

Fiz : Brewery Management is a premium Beer managment game that I've heard is pretty chill and fun.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Action Beat-em-up from the devs of Dark Quest:

Also, PvZ 3 has been officially soft-launched and......it's everything you've feared. Multiple currencies, energy system, and lootboxes.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Also, PvZ 3 has been officially soft-launched and......it's everything you've feared. Multiple currencies, energy system, and lootboxes.
Expected, but I'll still give it a shot.

PvZ 2 had a rough launch but they eventually turned it around with huge amounts of quality content updates.

The energy system is the only thing I'm worried about, but these days I play mobile games in small bursts, so energy systems haven't been much of a issue for me in a long time.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lego Legacy : Heroes Unboxed is finally available worldwide. It's a fun little gacha game with the same kind of humour the Lego Movies have.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It's a King F2P affair, but y'all should try out Knighthood. Great artstyle and some good gameplay with a very fair difficulty curve in the opening hours.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Their press page just says TBD for platforms. Most articles I found only say that as well. So fingers crossed!

The dev twitter account yesterday retweeted the Sony PS official account stating it’s coming to PS4 so I guess it’s official, even if weirdly they don’t write this anywhere else.

@PlayStation: Dig into a puzzling new adventure 💎 Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon is coming to PS4. https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1232722686410919937/video/1

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix seems to be slowly updating its games to iPhone X support. Final Fantasy III was updated today (and now on sale for $6.99).

Really hope they get around to updating Chaos Rings III, one of my favorite JRPGs on mobile.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Crossy Road Castle is out on Apple Arcade.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Crossy Road Castle is pretty fun even in single player. Obviously much different than the original as this is a platformer. Some cool layout design and boss fights.

Only small downside is that since levels are random the difficulty isn’t consistent. But a small niggle in an otherwise addictive little game.

February Recap
OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
February Recap

PictoQuest

iOS

Cookies Must Die

iOS / Android

CHARRUA SOCCER (Apple Arcade)

iOS

Book Of Demons: Tablet Edition

iOS - (iPad Only)

Company of Heroes

iOS - (iPad Only)

RogueJack: Roguelike BlackJack

iOS / Android

Summer Catchers

iOS / Android

Quadracade

iOS / Android

Incredible Mandy

iOS

Story of a Gladiator

iOS / Android

Aces of the Luftwaffe Squadron

iOS / Android

Crossy Road Castle (Apple Arcade)

iOS

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone wants a free copy of Book of Demons: Tablet Edition, I'm currently running a giveaway

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Apple/iOS question:

Is there a handy way to see what games are currently discounted on the app store, preferably with emailed price alert? Since the removal of the wishlist I’ve been using a Note with links to the store as a personal wishlist, but a) there’s no alert, so I just check prices when I remember, b) clicking on a dozen+ links to the app store is a real drag and c) it doesn’t contain everything I want anyways (no in-app purchases like the Civ VI DLC).

Removal of the wishlist was one of the shittiest things Apple did, especially when you look at how Valve push the value of wishlisting on Steam.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Apple/iOS question:

Is there a handy way to see what games are currently discounted on the app store, preferably with emailed price alert? Since the removal of the wishlist I’ve been using a Note with links to the store as a personal wishlist, but a) there’s no alert, so I just check prices when I remember, b) clicking on a dozen+ links to the app store is a real drag and c) it doesn’t contain everything I want anyways (no in-app purchases like the Civ VI DLC).

Removal of the wishlist was one of the shittiest things Apple did, especially when you look at how Valve push the value of wishlisting on Steam.
App Sliced will send you email alerts when a game/app goes on sale.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Castelvania SOTN iOS port in the AppStore.
Apparently it supports controllers as well.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Castelvania SOTN iOS port in the AppStore.
Apparently it supports controllers as well.

Can I use just a regular ass Xbox one controller with my iPad?