• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Battle Chasers: Nightwar port on mobile?
All the reviews I've read about it say that it's a great port overall. Only issues that are brought up are that it's a little bit of a battery drainer and the text size is a little too small. Theses are complaints from release however so they could have been fixed by now.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
The profile of smgstudio (Death Squared, One More Jump) has been updated to say that No Way Home (announced at Apple's Services Event) is coming really soon to Apple Arcade. Could be today's game.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
No Way Home is so damn good. Reminds me of Galak-Z but not rogue like. Think this is my favorite Apple Arcade game yet!

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm liking it a lot too.
Both story mode (which is deeper, harder and more open than it first seems) and daily mode which is really frantic (and shows advanced enemies and weapons, some of them are insane).
Must confess that I wasn't that into the style at first (but it's damn nice to look at and polished but at the first boss and the 'head' story twist, the game really clicked.

Galak-K comparison is spot on!

Edit: another comparison, for the style of the game and the map....seems like the action version of Steamworld Heist, minus the party.

I really like the hook and cool down weapon mechanic too, seems a bit a gimmick at first but you really have to use your brain later on when enemies start to have shields, weird patterns, bombs, mines and such.
you really don't want to have your weapon crippled when surrounded by enemies.

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's a bug but seem to be stuck in No Way Home. No missions. Nothing at bars. Only passed like the second boss.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Not sure if it's a bug but seem to be stuck in No Way Home. No missions. Nothing at bars. Only passed like the second boss.

You mean your grabbed the second 'head' batteries?
What happens if you go to the stellar map? If you press on the flag it changes the active mission (handy when you have multiple ones).
If nothing works...keep exploring till you find a new bar (quests hub).

BTW, I generally don't like shotgun weapons but today daily is spectacular (and really hard).

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
You mean your grabbed the second 'head' batteries?
What happens if you go to the stellar map? If you press on the flag it changes the active mission (handy when you have multiple ones).
If nothing works...keep exploring till you find a new bar (quests hub).

BTW, I generally don't like shotgun weapons but today daily is spectacular (and really hard).

I don't see any mission flags. How do change the map to just see flags? Doesn't seem to do anything when I click on the icon list.

Honestly was half asleep when I played last, lol. (Had to do an all nighter for work) Remember that I had to dual someone to their death. Wish it gave you a list of past missions.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I don't see any mission flags. How do change the map to just see flags? Doesn't seem to do anything when I click on the icon list.

Honestly was half asleep when I played last, lol. (Had to do an all nighter for work) Remember that I had to dual someone to their death. Wish it gave you a list of past missions.

Ah I remember that part!!! Was crazy difficult....you have to find somewhere (requires several warp jumps...can't remebe if I could see the active quest indicator) a huge closed ring (the entrance is tiny, maze like).
Then inside you have to fight a crazy amount of ships.

Also check out at the tech lab if you need to build a specific metal shell (to do that you have to gather metal scraps...took me a bit to understand that part...no active quest indicator).

This game is truly awesome.
It's the game I needed and didn't know, and it came out of nowhere.

Story mode is a full fledged action RPG, daily mode is much more similar to a standard shoot em up (being the stages always the same).

Loving both modes.
Btw...are we friends on Gamecenter?
I need to see you in the ladders to have motivations :P
Some stages are crazy hard.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I remember that part!!! Was crazy difficult....you have to find somewhere (requires several warp jumps...can't remebe if I could see the active quest indicator) a huge closed ring (the entrance is tiny, maze like).
Then inside you have to fight a crazy amount of ships.

Also check out at the tech lab if you need to build a specific metal shell (to do that you have to gather metal scraps...took me a bit to understand that part...no active quest indicator).

This game is truly awesome.
It's the game I needed and didn't know, and it came out of nowhere.

Story mode is a full fledged action RPG, daily mode is much more similar to a standard shoot em up (being the stages always the same).

Loving both modes.
Btw...are we friends on Gamecenter?
I need to see you in the ladders to have motivations :P
Some stages are crazy hard.

Thanks for the tips! I just ended up going to another bar and got a mission about stopping a rumor on Fiddle. Hopefully that gets me back on track.

Thought we were friends on GameCenter but apparently not. I honestly so seldom look at GC that I'm not even sure how to add people anymore, lol. But I'm awp69.

Still have been mostly focused on story mode as I'm a bit time deficient at the moment but need to mess with daily more.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Pascal's Wager is pretty good. Definitely inspired by Dark Souls. Nice graphics. Voice acting is mostly good (with one really bad exception so far).

Touch controls are serviceable but probably better with a controller. (Though I prefer for mobile gaming to be mobile so I'm keeping at the touch controls)

Definitely a worthwhile addition to my gaming rotation.

edit: alright, playing some more and the voice acting pretty much sucks. But game is still enjoyable.

Last edited:

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty dull and uninspired game probably aimed at kids. Dev now has 5 games on Apple Arcade and I'd say Pinball Wizard is the only one worth playing.

Seems like they're just cranking games things out.

I think this one shines a lot better in multiplayer. Quite fun in short burst with 2-4 players.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Maze Machina is awesome.
Being it normal mode, daily, easier modes or the brilliant challenge mode (with ELO and everything)....it's amazing.

You can casually play with one hand and just your thumb but getting a top score requires all your brain.
Someone beat my 152 :(
I'll get no rest till I regain the crown with a 149 (which seems impossible).

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
This released last week but it's getting some positive buzz in a few places:

apps.apple.com

‎Retro Bowl

‎Retro Bowl is the perfect game for the armchair quarterback to finally prove a point. Presented in a glorious retro style, the game has simple roster management, including press duties and the handling of fragile egos, while on the field you get to call the shots. Can you pass the grade and...

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
I need a new game, so... The Swords of Ditto (couldnt switch my account to another country so i couldnt buy it on sale...), Teslagrad or Beaks Adventure?

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
This released last week but it's getting some positive buzz in a few places:

apps.apple.com

‎Retro Bowl

‎Retro Bowl is the perfect game for the armchair quarterback to finally prove a point. Presented in a glorious retro style, the game has simple roster management, including press duties and the handling of fragile egos, while on the field you get to call the shots. Can you pass the grade and...

this is surprisingly fun. Haven't reached the game limit yet, but I don't know if you can still play after 5 games and either see ads, or if you have to pay a buck to unlock.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
needed to kill a few days before Legends of Runeterra hit

picked up The Room: Old Sins - i missed this series. what good games.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I need a new game, so... The Swords of Ditto (couldnt switch my account to another country so i couldnt buy it on sale...), Teslagrad or Beaks Adventure?
If you like action RPG / Souls like games, I'd also highly recommend Pascal's Wager. More people need to talk about that game.

Story, graphics and gameplay are great. Pretty in-depth too for a mobile ARPG.

Only downside is the voice acting, which can be pretty bad at times. Otherwise probably the best in the genre on mobile IMO.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you like action RPG / Souls like games, I'd also highly recommend Pascal's Wager. More people need to talk about that game.

Only downside is the voice acting, which can be pretty bad at times. Otherwise probably the best in the genre on mobile IMO.

is it feasible w/ touch controls? or does it essentially require a controller?

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
is it feasible w/ touch controls? or does it essentially require a controller?

I'm playing with touch controls. Sure it's better with a controller but I don't do controllers for mobile games. I play mobile games to be mobile. And games with controllers on my consoles. :)

But yeah, controls pretty well to me.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Probably Birk's Adventure since I've heard Teslagrad and TSoD only have decent but not great controls.

I have a DS4 and i dont mind using it at all, and since i moved i dont have a TV and my PS4 anymore... i bought a pad clip and another thing to play confortably... so now, for me, gamepad is the way to go so im looking for a good metroidvania.

Im not really into console graphics into my phone and i prefer 2D, the sole reason im not into Grimvalor for example

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I have a DS4 and i dont mind using it at all, and since i moved i dont have a TV and my PS4 anymore... i bought a pad clip and another thing to play confortably... so now, for me, gamepad is the way to go so im looking for a good metroidvania.

Im not really into console graphics into my phone and i prefer 2D, the sole reason im not into Grimvalor for example
In that case I'd say TSoD

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me that thinks it sucks that every game worthy of your time is locked behind Apple Arcade these days? Games i use to pay $1 for to digitally own i now have to pay $5 to play for a month.. i don't see myself playing anything on mobile until this price model dies.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is it just me that thinks it sucks that every game worthy of your time is locked behind Apple Arcade these days? Games i use to pay $1 for to digitally own i now have to pay $5 to play for a month.. i don't see myself playing anything on mobile until this price model dies.
the three posts above yours tell the opposite.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Many of these games would cost $5 alone - not $1. No Way Home could easily have been a $6.99 game.

Though releases have been a bit slow, I still get my $5 worth a month. There's still games from the initial release that I still play.

Still plenty of non-arcade games I've been buying like Grand Mountain Adventure and Maze Machina though.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah, sure. I'm not subscribed to Arcade either, as it's not worth it imo. But there is still enough premium games in the App Store to keep me busy.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I do both. Spend too much money but I definitely get the $5 worth each month for sure.

I've played at last a dozen games and spent $20 over the past 4 months on Arcade. Tried at least 40-50 more and still play some of those. The value is there right now since I still have many in rotation.

Just will see how things go going forward. But even one game that I would have paid $5 for each month makes it worth it IMO.

If it was any more than $5 then I may reconsider. Still a bargain right now to me.

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
For the ones interested in new ways to die alone in deep space but want to know nonetheless a new chapter of the great space saga....do know that the Alliance update is live for Out There.
It will be a long night.

Status
Not open for further replies.