• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Grand Mountain Adventure feels so great to play. It really feels like one of those killer-app uses of tap controls. The structure of the game isn't nearly as polished as the feel and the look, but it's so cool altogether.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The well received Picross-like PicoQuest is coming to iOS on February 4th for a very low price:
Oh boy, I hope it comes to Android. Picross with an actual overworld or some kind of structure is something I really wanted beyond Mario Picross and this seems to go well beyond that.
Grand Mountain Adventure feels so great to play. It really feels like one of those killer-app uses of tap controls. The structure of the game isn't nearly as polished as the feel and the look, but it's so cool altogether.
The structure of the game is intended to be a bit open ended and its fine the way it is. Good use of the map, understanding its routes and where the elevators go to as well as where the secret challenges are is simple enough a structure where it doesn't feel restrictive but also guides you along with a gentle learning curve.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Ughh, too many multiplayer games on Arcade lately. Need some more solid single player games!

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Ughh, too many multiplayer games on Arcade lately. Need some more solid single player games!

I like the fact that they at least seem to try something different.

I have so much to do yet from launch (Still have to finish ATONE, Where Cards Fall, Discolored, Chu Chu...) that I'm not too bothered yet.

(And this one can be played solo as well!)

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
The structure of the game is intended to be a bit open ended and its fine the way it is. Good use of the map, understanding its routes and where the elevators go to as well as where the secret challenges are is simple enough a structure where it doesn't feel restrictive but also guides you along with a gentle learning curve.
Yeah, I'm getting the hang of it the more I stick with it. It felt a little too formless at first but the freedom of it does grow on you.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Something like rogue legacy, wizard of legend, ETG, nuclear thrones..etc. would really appreciate that
Trigger Heroes is a lot like Nuclear Throne
Elemental Dungeon is a lot like Wizard of Legend
Soul Knight is a lot like ETG

That's about it really. I don't know if there are roguelikes on android that can really rival the ones that you mentioned.

January Recap
OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
To make up for the fact that we don't have monthly threads anymore, I'm gonna try to make a post each month highlighting the notable releases of the previous month and threadmarking it.

January Recap

Swag and Sorcery

100x100bb.jpg

iOS

Doomsday Vault (Apple Arcade)
100x100bb.jpg

iOS

End of the Universe
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

No Way Home (Apple Arcade)
100x100bb.jpg

iOS

Pascal's Wager
100x100bb.jpg

iOS /
Android

Maze Machina
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Retro Bowl
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Grand Mountain Adventure
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Disgaea 1 Complete
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Last edited:

Pro

Oct 25, 2017
To make up for the fact that we don't have monthly threads anymore, I'm gonna try to make a post each month highlighting the notable releases of the previous month and threadmarking it.

January Recap

Swag and Sorcery

100x100bb.jpg

iOS

Doomsday Vault (Apple Arcade)
100x100bb.jpg

iOS

End of the Universe
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

No Way Home (Apple Arcade)
100x100bb.jpg

iOS

Pascal's Wager
100x100bb.jpg

iOS

Maze Machina
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Retro Bowl
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Grand Mountain Adventure
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Disgaea 1 Complete
100x100bb.jpg

iOS / Android

Neat idea!

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Thanks for the recap Saucycarpdog , pretty awesome and super useful.

Meanwhile....I finally completed Out There Alliance new ending...glorious as the rest of the game.
Still don't know which is my favorite ending....probably gold but this is a good one.
And still one of the best sci-fi writings and story ever.
The game never left my devices in last 6 years and probably never will.

I'm now stupidly excited for Out There: Oceans of Time.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
GeForce now is out of the beta and available for everyone (worldwide?). Sadly no iOS app yet.
You can even try it for free for 1 hour per day.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
PictoQuest is good, but the large grids are fiddly to play on a phone screen. Here's a level about halfway through the game.

t4JKHNH.png

There's all that empty space around the sides. I wish they'd zoomed in on the grids instead. There is a penalty if you tap the wrong square, and some levels even have a "make zero mistakes" condition.

Another small annoyance: The buttons in the bottom-right are nice and large so you can switch between them without looking away from the grid, but during enemy attacks there's a brief animation and the screen doesn't respond to taps. The attack animation is small and easy to overlook while you're focused on the grid. So sometimes I press the bottom-right to switch modes, then tap on a cell, but the mode switch didn't register so I use the wrong thing. And this incurs a penalty. I can avoid this problem by slowing down and confirming the tap registered, but some levels are timed so that also sucks.

I'm still enjoying it!

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Dragon Hills 1 & 2 are great runners that take advantage of mobile controls, so another game from these devs could definitely be good.

The first Dragon Hills was pure blast, loved it...the second... samey but with worse graphics worse designs, this one i have installed but havent tried yet tomorrow in commute to work...

Edit: Reinstalling Dragon Hills 1 lol

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Just wanted to give some Geforce Now feedback.
I was able to play last two days various games, on both a 2008 Macbook (!!!) and a Samsung S8 (sadly no iOS app yet).
I have a pretty good but standard network both in office and at home (120 down, 30 up), but nothing crazy.
Not sure this is the future but I was really blown away....queques aside (free version) I was able to play, and I really mean PLAY, Destiny 2, Path of Exile, Apex Legends and some others games (almost all free to play because I don't have a lot of games on Steam and I don't understand yet how to link Epic Store) without any problem.
Actually they played fantastic (used an XBOX ONE controller clipped on the phone).
So good if it was on iOS (my regular personal devices) I would have already subscribed and probably bought some games on Steam.

The free version let you play for 1-2 hours each day, but at certain hours (notably when USA is up) queues are long (like 30 mins long). The paid version (5-6 euros per month) has no queue and it's unlimited.

I already tried extensively Steam link between me and a friend of mine with a uber connection (1 Gb down, 1 Gb up, optic fiber) and it was great but this is even better....

If you have a good connection and a Steam library, do try it (Android only for now).

I really hope it comes to iOS soonish.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to give some Geforce Now feedback.
I was able to play last two days various games, on both a 2008 Macbook (!!!) and a Samsung S8 (sadly no iOS app yet).
I have a pretty good but standard network both in office and at home (120 down, 30 up), but nothing crazy.
Not sure this is the future but I was really blown away....queques aside (free version) I was able to play, and I really mean PLAY, Destiny 2, Path of Exile, Apex Legends and some others games (almost all free to play because I don't have a lot of games on Steam and I don't understand yet how to link Epic Store) without any problem.
Actually they played fantastic (used an XBOX ONE controller clipped on the phone).
So good if it was on iOS (my regular personal devices) I would have already subscribed and probably bought some games on Steam.

The free version let you play for 1-2 hours each day, but at certain hours (notably when USA is up) queues are long (like 30 mins long). The paid version (5-6 euros per month) has no queue and it's unlimited.

I already tried extensively Steam link between me and a friend of mine with a uber connection (1 Gb down, 1 Gb up, optic fiber) and it was great but this is even better....

If you have a good connection and a Steam library, do try it (Android only for now).

I really hope it comes to iOS soonish.
Nice, I should really give it a shot myself.

Annoyingly, my best compatible device to try it on is my S10e which is slightly too small of a screen for me to play console/PC games on in my experience playing Moonlight and Steam streaming.

My iPad Pro I love using for in-home streaming, so it's annoying I can use it for Xcloud or this.

[redacted]

Dec 28, 2017
Any of the games featured in the OT post (such as Card of Darkness or Grindstone) playable offline? Just had an iPad upgrade and have a lengthy flight in a couple days, could use something new without needing online.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Nice, I should really give it a shot myself.

Annoyingly, my best compatible device to try it on is my S10e which is slightly too small of a screen for me to play console/PC games on in my experience playing Moonlight and Steam streaming.

My iPad Pro I love using for in-home streaming, so it's annoying I can use it for Xcloud or this.

I feel you.
I'm an iOS guy, so it really stinks (I'm right now playing on my son Samsung).
I wish the service would come to my smart TV as well (they had another service years ago but Samsung deleted it one year ago).

If you try the service and understand how to add Epic store games, please tell me....I feel dumb (yet I read everyone can do that...but I can't for the life of me).

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Any of the games featured in the OT post (such as Card of Darkness or Grindstone) playable offline? Just had an iPad upgrade and have a lengthy flight in a couple days, could use something new without needing online.
Those two definitely are. I don't think any Apple Arcade games require a connection, unless they have online multiplayer.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I feel you.
I'm an iOS guy, so it really stinks (I'm right now playing on my son Samsung).
I wish the service would come to my smart TV as well (they had another service years ago but Samsung deleted it one year ago).

If you try the service and understand how to add Epic store games, please tell me....I feel dumb (yet I read everyone can do that...but I can't for the life of me).

Don't forget that you can also subscribe to the premium tier, cancel immediately and get 90 days for free without ever being charged.

For Epic Games' Store games you have to unlock below the game to see if it's working with Steam or EGS. Right now, by typing Epic, I see that only Fortnite, Mechwarrior 5 and World War Z are supported.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Don't forget that you can also subscribe to the premium tier, cancel immediately and get 90 days for free without ever being charged.

For Epic Games' Store games you have to unlock below the game to see if it's working with Steam or EGS. Right now, by typing Epic, I see that only Fortnite, Mechwarrior 5 and World War Z are supported.

Thanks.
Didn't know about the 90 days trial but I think I'll subscribe anyway...I was just waiting to build someSteam library.

Not sure I understood correctly....so only certain games are ok from Epic?
I have (like everyone else I guess because they were free) Into the Breach and some other games on Epic....I can't play those right?
Because you can from Steam (I've read on reddit you have to put a -Epiclauncher on something in the VM but not sure).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was trying to find any new info about when Stardew Valley was going to get the 1.4 update on mobile, and it sounds like it's pretty soon according to a blog post on the Dev's website a few days ago!

"Also, the mobile 1.4 update is currently in the process of rolling out to players over the next several days… first with android, and then followed by iOS."

I've had the game on Switch since it first came out, but I've actually been waiting to start it on my iPad with the 1.4 update.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was trying to find any new info about when Stardew Valley was going to get the 1.4 update on mobile, and it sounds like it's pretty soon according to a blog post on the Dev's website a few days ago!

"Also, the mobile 1.4 update is currently in the process of rolling out to players over the next several days… first with android, and then followed by iOS."

I've had the game on Switch since it first came out, but I've actually been waiting to start it on my iPad with the 1.4 update.

whats in 1.4?

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm so astonished by GeForce Now service I've already subscribed, even if there is no iOS client yet.

It's really a game changer for mobile users with proper Internet connection (a big IF but still).
I just played 3 hours straight and completed several missions of Destiny 2 on a mobile phone with an Xbox controller clipped, with everything on ultra and buttery smooth (and frankly it's quite jaw dropping....effects everywhere, not sure if RTX was active too but lights effects were unbelievable on OLED screen).

I'll try the system on 4G as soon as I can (ie...as soon as I want to swap my sim from iPhone to S8), and possibly 5G when it lands (I'm on unlimited data).
Of course these types of systems aren't for everyone and they have several limitations depending on the zone one lives...but if you can live with that...woah, just woah.
It's crazy cheap too....you basically rent a powerful gaming rig for 60 euros per year.

I've already started a huge Steam wishlist...I didn't buy a Steam game since....Half Life 2.

Regarding Apple approving these sort of apps...I think it's inevitable (like they were forced to approve Steam link...in this case you don't even have a store to buy things from) but I genuinely think it's not a 'competitor' for the App Store or for Apple Arcade (which is rightly advertised as a service not needing an active connection).
Time will tell....but these are exciting times for mobile gamers.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I think i am a bit off topic but for android gaming, i was looking around and it seems top of the line would be the samsung tab S6. Any other recommendation before I pull the trigger?

I've played DB Dokkan a ton but really want to get into the SRPGs and other games that are on the market.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm so astonished by GeForce Now service I've already subscribed, even if there is no iOS client yet.

It's really a game changer for mobile users with proper Internet connection (a big IF but still).
I just played 3 hours straight and completed several missions of Destiny 2 on a mobile phone with an Xbox controller clipped, with everything on ultra and buttery smooth (and frankly it's quite jaw dropping....effects everywhere, not sure if RTX was active too but lights effects were unbelievable on OLED screen).

I'll try the system on 4G as soon as I can (ie...as soon as I want to swap my sim from iPhone to S8), and possibly 5G when it lands (I'm on unlimited data).
Of course these types of systems aren't for everyone and they have several limitations depending on the zone one lives...but if you can live with that...woah, just woah.
It's crazy cheap too....you basically rent a powerful gaming rig for 60 euros per year.

I've already started a huge Steam wishlist...I didn't buy a Steam game since....Half Life 2.

Regarding Apple approving these sort of apps...I think it's inevitable (like they were forced to approve Steam link...in this case you don't even have a store to buy things from) but I genuinely think it's not a 'competitor' for the App Store or for Apple Arcade (which is rightly advertised as a service not needing an active connection).
Time will tell....but these are exciting times for mobile gamers.

Just to echo the sentiment here -

I spent some time with GeForce Now (albeit on my MacBook Pro) as well as XBOX to my iPhone over local streaming.

I was blown away. It works exceptionally well, and I also think it's a real game changer.

Destiny 2 over WiFi was smooth as butter & looked great.

FFXV in bed was also great, but I only played the tutorial. I was able to thoroughly enjoy the combat there, so I am all on board.

It just makes Winter 2020 so damn exciting:

iPhone 12 Pro (hopefully with 120Hz)
League of Legends Wild Rift
xCloud iOS
Razer Kishi

Razer-Kishi-xCloud-DMCV-2060x1159.jpg

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
PictoQuest is good, but the large grids are fiddly to play on a phone screen. Here's a level about halfway through the game.

t4JKHNH.png

There's all that empty space around the sides. I wish they'd zoomed in on the grids instead. There is a penalty if you tap the wrong square, and some levels even have a "make zero mistakes" condition.
This got an update today which renamed the touch mode "iPad mode" and the virtual pad "iPhone mode". It's a sensible change, because touch mode is practically unplayable on a phone, on the hardest levels.

I did try playing with a PS4 controller but it isn't supported. Movement works (with the analogue only) but none of the buttons do anything. It'd be nice if they patched that in.

Edit: completed 100%. It's pretty short compared to similar games like Pixel Puzzle Collection, and I feel like the RPG elements don't add anything worthwhile, however it's cheap and I had a good time.

Last edited:

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised with the GameClub service. At first I thought it was some lame cash in for the whole subscription trend, but I've noticed they're bringing back a bunch of old games I bought that never got updated for 64bit and I thought I'd lost forever. Mage Gauntlet, Waking Mars, Space Miner, Super Crate Box...and they're all iPhone 11 optimized for the wider screen so they put some real effort in here, I'm impressed. The potential to rescue a LOT of defunct old games really is there.

8sanders

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised with the GameClub service. At first I thought it was some lame cash in for the whole subscription trend, but I've noticed they're bringing back a bunch of old games I bought that never got updated for 64bit and I thought I'd lost forever. Mage Gauntlet, Waking Mars, Space Miner, Super Crate Box...and they're all iPhone 11 optimized for the wider screen so they put some real effort in here, I'm impressed. The potential to rescue a LOT of defunct old games really is there.
And just to add to this... if you have previously purchased any of the games GameClub offers they are available to download at no charge without having to subscribe. They are bring these games back from the dead. Very cool! Just search for "gameclub" in the App Store or in your purchase history.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Subscribed to GeForce NOW and playing Destiny 2... In Steam. Is incredible how my old laptop without graphics card can run this so smoothly...

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Subscribed to GeForce NOW and playing Destiny 2... In Steam. Is incredible how my old laptop without graphics card can run this so smoothly...

I hear you.
It's been 4 days since I'm playing absolutely flawlessly the campaign (almost completed the first one) plus occasional raids with friends(SO MUCH FUN) on both a 2008 MacBook (2 Gb ram, integrated graphics!!!!) and a Samsung S8 (graphics are unbelievable on the screen).
I still can't believe it works so well with my normal internet (120 down- 30 up, nothing crazy) both at home and in office.
The iOS client can't come soon enough tough.

For some reason Nvidia decided to build the servers in my backyard because I get all greens in the test with 12–15 ms lag (!!!!).

To be honest if I didn't know it was streaming I would have never guessed.
Yesterday I played hours before realizing my son was concurrently playing Fortnite AND watching YouTube.

I heard image gets washed on really high res screens....I'm playing on a 1080 screen (so natively) and whatever the Samsung res is (it's really amazing to look at) and it's glorious for me.

Speechless.
A real game changer.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
After almost two years without any news, the dev team behind the highly anticipated Match-3 Hero Emblems II has showcased two new videos of the game:

Jun 2, 2019
After attaching a clip to my Xbox One controller and putting my P Smart 2019 on it i've warmed up to Mobile gaming, so i'm joining this thread too, guys :)

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I've played the beta and this is a great, uniquely designed premium dungeon crawler that also feels right at home on mobile. The well received and critically acclaimed "Book of Demons" by ThingTrunk is coming out February 13th for $4.99 on iPad:
apps.apple.com

‎Book of Demons: Tablet Edition

‎***Accolades and Honors*** ***CEEGA 2019 Best Design*** ***Digital Dragons 2018 Best Polish Game Art*** ***Casual Connect Best Game Art 2016*** ***Indie DB Indie of The Year 2017 Top 10*** Tap & slash your way through the Archdemon's hordes in this atmospheric paper pop-up dungeon crawler...

Status
Not open for further replies.