• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the monthly mobile gaming thread, where we discuss the best and most interesting titles coming to iOS and Android each and every month. From sales, to exciting new releases, to promising games in the works, mobile gaming is vast and growing medium, with entries in genres of every fashion, premium and free alike.

The main post will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the ERA community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Additional resources for games released during 2017, 2016, and prior will be available soon.

_____________________________________________________________________________​

FEATURED NEW RELEASES

6676015_larger.png
9922212_larger.png
7138671_larger.png

The Room: Old Sins
App Store
Site | $4.99
Enter The Room: Old Sins and be transported to a place where tactile exploration meets challenging puzzles and a captivating story. The sudden disappearance of an ambitious engineer and his high-society wife provokes the hunt for a precious artefact. The trail leads to the attic of their home, and the discovery of an old, peculiar dollhouse… Explore unsettling locations, follow obscure clues and manipulate bizarre contraptions as you uncover the mysteries within Waldegrave Manor.

643x0w.jpg

Meteorfall
App Store | Google Play
Site | $2.99
Meteorfall is a deck-building roguelike. You'll choose your class from one of four unique adventurers, and then set out with a deck consisting of some basic attack cards. During the course of your adventure, you'll be presented with the opportunity to add powerful new cards to your deck.
No adventure would be complete without slaying a few monsters that get in your way. In battle, you'll draw cards from your ability deck. Each time you draw a card, you'll be able to swipe right to play the card, or swipe left to skip a turn and regain some stamina.

shot4.jpg

Thumper Pocket Edition
App Store
Site | $4.99
Thumper is rhythm violence: classic rhythm-action, blistering speed, and brutal physicality. You are a space beetle. Brave the hellish void and confront a maniacal giant head from the future.

0x0ss.jpg

Dandara
App Store | Google Play
Site | $14.99
Welcome to a unique 2D metroidvania platformer full of mystical creatures and boundless exploration. Defy gravity as you jump across floors, walls, and ceilings alike. Discover the mysteries and secrets hidden throughout the world of Salt and its diverse array of characters. Empower Dandara for combat and survival against enemies bent on oppression.

ss_57266a3975bb5366043d8d373ad506a046b0e94a.1920x1080.jpg

Six Match
App Store | Google Play
Site | Free to download, $1.99 to remove ads
Six Match tasks you with taking your Match-3 skills to the next level. Enter the Match-3 board as Mr Swap-With-Coins and try to make a match in 6 turns or less.
As the coins keep dropping, so do new mechanics

img_4794.jpg

Jydge
App Store
Site | $4.99
Build your JYDGE. Enter Edenbyrg. Get out alive. Build your own cybernetic JYDGE in this lawful-but-awful roguehate top-down shooter where you get to eradicate crime in the never-sleeping megacity of Edenbyrg.

ss_0e585f631cfe637cb6e31a4cb7ee5bb5482bf832.1920x1080.jpg

Super Fancy Pants Adventure
App Store
Site | $4.99
Super Fancy Pants Adventure is a wild free-running adventure with buttery smooth platforming and a slick fountain pen!

552x414bb.jpg

Bring You Home
App Store
Site | $2.99
BRING YOU HOME tells the story of a humble alien hero that will traverse multiple worlds in a frenetic chase with the goal of retrieving his kidnapped alien pet. The game is a cute & accessible, purely visual, family friendly puzzle adventure… with a gameplay twist.

screenshot02.png

True Legacy
App Store
Site | $2.99
True Legacy is a text-driven puzzle adventure game.
Investigate a politically sensitive murder in a dystopian, 21st century metropolis, riven by rampant economic and genetic inequality. Both your ethics, and puzzle solving skills will be tested in this sci-fi noir thriller.
Taking the role of investigator Claire Thornhill, players navigate the world of True Legacy via interactive text, immersive 3D scenes and forensic puzzle gameplay. The branching narrative pushes you to express your ethics in a harsh world transformed by unregulated technological advances.

fef3892a-e653-4736-9wksmx.jpeg

OTHER NOTABLE RELEASES

Cytus 2 (iOS ) - $1.99
Four Last Things (iOS / Android) - $3.99
It's Full of Sparks (iOS ) - Free
Hero Academy 2 (iOS / Android) - Free
Let Them Come (iOS / Android) - $1.99
Mosaic (iOS / Android) - Free
Out There Chronicles: Episode 2 (iOS / Android) - $2.99
Pako 2 (iOS ) - $1.99
Tents & Trees (iOS / Android) - Free

UPCOMING RELEASES

PREVIOUS THREADS

Mobile Gaming January 2018 | New ERA, new year, and so many new games
Mobile Gaming December 2017 | A Frosty X-mas Season
Mobile Gaming November 2017 | Giving thanks for iOS and Android alike

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Jurassic Park is coming to Zen Pinball!

Trailer:

Three tables, February 20th!

1) Jurassic World - based on original World movie, original actor samples
2) Jurassic Park - based on 1st movie, original actor samples
3) Jurassic Park Pinball Mayhem - original story concept, new actors

In traditional Zen Studios fashion none of the iconic music will be featured. For whatever reason only Star Wars has the John Williams score and even the new Star Wars film tables use the old music.

Btw, does someone want to create a thread for this? I can't make threads & I think it would be exciting to Jurassic Park fans in general. Plus, it's going to be on all PBFX3 platforms + mobile.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Tanks MB as usual, great work.

Warhammer Quest End of Time 2.0 is here.
Beside a ton of new content including a new full campaign and 3 new classes (Ogre, Warpriest and Wardancer), full iPhone X support the imho main core game addition is in dungeon ambushes which change the game big time, for the better.

As a matter of fact I just suffered a total party kill surrounded by enemies in a ambush, when I was just toying around with 2 minions.

Lesson learned.....time to put to good use those super weapons and spells I avoided to use to have the game less easy.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well I just played the first chapter of Final Fantasy 15. Not a fan tbh. I'm using an Iphone 8+ and the graphics on max are super bland and not detailed so far. Music is from the console game but has constant static and hitching. Characters talk over each other during scripted cutscenes (happened twice). The game has honestly been gutted from the console release. I realize they had to condense the game for mobile but here are things I noticed that I don't like:

1. Character abilities seem to be gone (fishing, photography etc). Unless they magically appear after chapter 1.
2. Almost no exploration. Car drives on auto from the place to place and once there you are confined to that tiny area. No walking away from the motel on the way to Galdin. There are small areas to explore so far and very linear.
3. Battles are super easy and touch here is not ideal. Warp strike by holding on an enemy or icon works sometimes and doesn't others. Also Noct will usually auto attack a nearby enemy once he has killed 1 but sometimes he just stops and stands still and you have to tap an enemy to get him going again.
4. Character models are chibi and while i usually don't mind this, most everyone looks hideous but i know this is personal preference.
5. Can't enter buildings at Hammerhead or the motel so no diner or store to go inside maybe this changes later but for now they are just window dressing. Related: are hunts gone? At least accepting hunts from an npc seem to be gone not sure if they show up some other way later.
6. No time of day changes while playing. Whatever time of day it is when you get somewhere seems to be what it always is.

So while the game isn't broken or horrific, it is very, very disappointing. So much smaller and more linear; Audio glitches; really bland basic graphics with texture loading and pop-in.

I'll wait for impressions past chapter 1 before spending money on this.

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap does Dandara get much harder after the Colossal Bridge! Love it though.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Well I just played the first chapter of Final Fantasy 15. Not a fan tbh. I'm using an Iphone 8+ and the graphics on max are super bland and not detailed so far. Music is from the console game but has constant static and hitching. Characters talk over each other during scripted cutscenes (happened twice). The game has honestly been gutted from the console release. I realize they had to condense the game god mobile but here are things I noticed that I don't like:.

That's a bit disappointing to hear. Not that this was super high on any of my wishlists, but if it turned out half-way decent I was gonna bite. Especially after reading how MIke Fahey was pretty positive about it over at Kotaku.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks impressive. I wonder if they got licenses to the boardgames they feature.
Yes, I'm contrast to the "thieves" of Tabletop Simulator, they actually have the licenses and even work closely together with publishers and developers. The latter can also use the platform to plattest games without actually producing them. The PC version has hundreds of games already, many many (big ones!) of them free. As I mentioned though, the controls can feel janky in some games on PC, so I hope it works better with touch.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I tried it briefly, but the Tabletopia UI on iPad was surprisingly good and responsive.

If only FFG would sign with them....

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm contrast to the "thieves" of Tabletop Simulator, they actually have the licenses and even work closely together with publishers and developers. The latter can also use the platform to plattest games without actually producing them. The PC version has hundreds of games already, many many (big ones!) of them free. As I mentioned though, the controls can feel janky in some games on PC, so I hope it works better with touch.

I tried it briefly, but the Tabletopia UI on iPad was surprisingly good and responsive.

If only FFG would sign with them....

Sounds excellent. I may give it a shot then. I'd love to try games digitally before I commit to physical.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Im happy that the FFXV port is not the thing i wanted it to be to i can save for next week: Fe, Owlboy and Crossing Souls. #Relief

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely stoked for this: The Battle for Polytopia by Midjiwan (the best Civ-like built with mobile in mind) will get an update adding online multiplayer on iOS and Android on February 15th.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize the Owlboy devs also did Savant Ascent. Don't think that did all that well on iOS and was never updated for 64-bit. Not hopeful of Owlboy coming.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Spent just 1 hour in the new 2.0 Warhammer Quest End Times.
The thrill of exploration was the only thing I was missing from the first one after you reached level 5 or so.
I'm super happy to report it's gloriously back.

I think I'll start over but I tried some dungeons (not even in the new region which is supposed to be harder) with my Uber party where Legolas alone could kill entire rooms in just one turn thanks to all the skills I loaded him....and I had to restart twice already.
Finally formation and party support have a meaning because if you are ambushed and your mages are alone, you are fucked.
Especially if your mages are the only ones with healing.
Enemies can drop between your men effectively shielding them from aids, especially if we are talking about Minotaurs or Trolls.
It doesn't happen frequently like in the first game (so no 5 black orcs ambushes in a row) but now just because you know it can happen....everything changes (for the better).
It's still one of the best looking games on iOS, now with full iPhone X support.

I'm a sword and shield guy so I think I'll add a Warpriest to my party, but I don't know who is leaving yet....

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Whoops sorry i thought that was kind of obvious that they werent for iOS since they havent been announced and probably never will. At least in the near future. Next time i will add a PS4 thing

Yeah, I've got those three in my radar as well.

Crossing Souls has a demo you can try. I need to chose one between the three of them. Probably Owlboy since reviews and users raved about it that same way as Celeste

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Whoops sorry i thought that was kind of obvious that they werent for iOS since they havent been announced and probably never will. At least in the near future. Next time i will add a PS4 thing

Crossing Souls has a demo you can try. I need to chose one between the three of them. Probably Owlboy since reviews and users raved about it that same way as Celeste

Looking forward to all but Fe looks like a 3D Ori, which I adored, so that's drawing me the most.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
I wonder what will be released next week for iOS

Looking forward to all but Fe looks like a 3D Ori, which I adored, so that's drawing me the most.

Holy guacamoley! Was watching some videos and reading IGN about Fe and is a mix between Ori, Zelda, Shadow of the Colossus and some metroidvania! And some emotions like Journey! And in 3D! Now it went to the top of my list

Oct 27, 2017
Is The Witness on iOS worth it? I played through a few hours on PC but if it's as good on mobile, I'm gonna pick it up.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Is The Witness on iOS worth it? I played through a few hours on PC but if it's as good on mobile, I'm gonna pick it up.

I completed it before Xmas on iOS.
Imho it's fantastic (iPhone X).
The nature of the game is dead perfect on touch screens imho (but some timed puzzles at the very end but nothing impossible) and in latest devices looks fantastic.
Great game too.

Oct 27, 2017
I completed it before Xmas on iOS.
Imho it's fantastic (iPhone X).
The nature of the game is dead perfect on touch screens imho (but some timed puzzles at the very end but nothing impossible) and in latest devices looks fantastic.
Great game too.

Awesome, thanks. Think it would be okay on my iPad? (regular iPad latest version I believe).

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Awesome, thanks. Think it would be okay on my iPad? (regular iPad latest version I believe).

I played on iPhone X (glorious) and iPad Air (first one) where it was surprisingly good (but not as glorious).

Tucked in bed with headphones is quite an experience.
Puzzles range from dumb to incredibly hard (but always doable).
It is a long game.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone looking for a premium tower defense game, this looks pretty good. $4.99

Defend the Cake Tower Defense by Defend the Cake LLC https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/defend-the-cake-tower-defense/id1317096823?mt=8

Supposedly made by a team of former Blizzard and Riot devs.
Looking at a video of this (PC version I think) it seems a bit... basic I guess. Seems solid enough, but for $5 it seems like it's lacking some polish in the animations and doesn't seem to have a hook or gimmick to separate it from other TD games other than the cute artstyle and the ability to place your base/cake.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is in the market for an Apple TV 4K, Direct TV Now has a really great offer. Pay for 3 months up front at $35 a month and you get it free. $105 with a 4K Apple TV is damn good.

Just did it myself because I like how Apple movies upgrade to 4K, even those you bought elsewhere through Movies Anywhere. Already have a bunch that I'll be able to watch in 4K that are only HD on Vudu.

Being able to play some games on it is a nice bonus.

Here's the link if you are interested:
https://www.directvnow.com/appletv

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Death Squared is coming out on iOS next week. Have heard good things about the console versions of the game.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Thanks. Wonder if that $6.99 is a launch price?

Would like to get it but next week is going to be expensive with some console releases that I really want.

That looks good but it has an enphasis on co-op.

And "good" news (at least for our wallets) as Owlboy for PS4/XO isnt releasing next week, new release date is TBA. So only Fe (i already preordered this one) and Crossing Souls... so cheaper than expected xD

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
That looks good but it has an enphasis on co-op.

And "good" news (at least for our wallets) as Owlboy for PS4/XO isnt releasing next week, new release date is TBA. So only Fe (i already preordered this one) and Crossing Souls... so cheaper than expected xD

Hmm, that's kind of disappointing on Owlboy. Wonder why the delay?