• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Several hours later (and really late to the party) I think I found one of my new favorite TBS ever.

Warbands: Bushido

It's basixally Shadespire/Battlelore in digital form, wrapped in a glorious gorgeous coating.

There are some quirks due to the not really comprehensive tutorial, but after some time you will play like a pro (more on that later).

Actually there are several lengthy games inside the game.

First you have four pretty massive campaigns.
The first time you play a single campaign (normal) you play with a fixed party of miniatures, which levels up during gameplay.
Casualties matter because a dead miniature in a scenario won't be back later, unless you spend in game gold (no iaps whatsoever) to cure them along with buying additional gears).
You can replay last 2 scenarios at will (you will probably replay last one till you complete it with everyone alive).
If you complete it, you unlock hard and insane modes, and it's basicslly a new game because you can play the very same campaign BUT with your miniatures (which you unlock during gameplay and with gold earned with achievements that buy you booster packs). Miniatures come in 4 different tiers, which means you can level up them differently, unlocking more skills for the rarer ones. Everything is done in game, no iaps.
You earn special gold to be used to buy new miniatures and cards, and there is in scenario gold used to buy gears (specific for a scenario).
Number of miniatures is amazing....from peasants to samurai to ninjas to legendary tier named miniatures, each ones with special skills and stats.

Then here is the pvp part of the game, where you use your own miniatures to battle other people, constraints are you actual level (you level up by playing and winning, losing can strip yourself levels as well) and miniatures rarity (best miniatures costs a lot of honor points....so you can battle using a single UBER samurai or 5 low level peasants....your choice).

I still can't decide what is more fun....the sp campaigns or the pvp.
You can personalize your Warbands (one for each game mode) down to choosing your own colors displayed on screen on your miniatures.

Mind you, as for the nature of booster packs and pvp, the game requires constant online connection, even for single player.

As far as I know, friendly pvp is not avaible yet on iOS, but everything else works really damn well and I always found opponents to play with.

Games are fast (pvp in particular, single player scenarios are pretty hard and longer).
The game uses miniatures with a strong emphasis on position (flanking and surrounding are two key strategies), with additional one time (per scenario) use cards to spice up things.
The setting is a single/couple of screens wide.
So far I'm loving it and I highly recommend it.

One last caveat...the game syncs between iPhone and iPad and if possibile I recommend starting playing on iPad because you will want to read the cards during the learning curve. After that playing on iPhone is great too (text is really tiny).
Sadly it doesn't support native iPhone X res, but I played like 3 hours yesterday night on it anyway....it's that fun.
I use iPad now only to change my Warbands and when iPhone is charging.

2mJPf4H.jpg

WlGpB3z.jpg

JAiGijm.jpg

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds really cool Pitta, thanks for sharing. I've only got my 8 Plus to play on but I'm tempted to pick it up all the same.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Nice write up Pitta, I just picked Warbands up. My Dad was a big Kurosawa fan and and I grew up on samurai films so I have a big affection for the genre.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked to see Square Enix release a huge update to Chrono Trigger with improved graphics and controls, cloud saves, controller and Apple TV support.

May have to pick it up!

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Sounds really cool Pitta, thanks for sharing. I've only got my 8 Plus to play on but I'm tempted to pick it up all the same.

You have a plus so it might be a no problem, but on iPhone X (which is not supported so it's the same as watching it on a normal iPhone) personally I really struggle to read (I'm old :P).
After some time it's a non problem because you know the UI and the cards (you can zoom the cards and text is readable but tootips remain tiny so at the start you may want to play on a bigger screen).
I still prefer arranging my Warbands on iPad too.

I advice to find a screenshot of the the game (with a card displayed) taken on a plus model if possible and check if you can read it. If yes, go for it.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
wwwattttttt. that's the first SE game on Apple TV.

Yeah, being a new ATV owner, I was annoyed that none of their games are there. Of course, it has to be one I don't own that is the first.

Would like to hear if the new version is any better before buying it. It's getting blasted on Steam but think that's just because it's a mobile port.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
It may be something obvious and I might be just dumb but I want to share something that made my head scratch for some time till I had an eureka moment.
In Bushido, you will notice you have 4 different color Warbands.
The most important ones are the pvp one and the campaign one (the others are the training one and the pro arena one)

Pvp one is obvious, be sure to change it every time you unlock new miniatures, level up some, etc...(same with the cards).
The campaign one.....you won't see it ingame till you COMPLETE the first campaign on normal (which is played with fixed characters). You can use it only in hard mode.

Two other things not detailed in the tutorial are the flank and surround bonus. You receive extra attack dice if you have one unit in front and one unit in the back of an enemy miniature and another bonus if you surround a miniature with 3 attackers.
This is fundamental in many cases...so much that you may want to suffer one opportunity strike just to better position you minis before attacking.
I missed also the fact you can skip your miniature turn to take it at the end of everyone else turn...which is can be great especially when trying to have ranged minis in the right spot.

It's a pity the game doesn't have proper login/account (uses Gamecenter one) so we could battle together (friend pvp is not supported on iOS). On the other hand, this lets the game sync between iOS devices seamlessly.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Even if it's for the just announce PS4 version, I think this is the first real trailer with ameplay of Heaven's Vault.

https://youtu.be/7MZZ6glfDZ0

On a different news....Into the Breach is out on Steam...do we know when it will be out on iOS as well?

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Even if it's for the just announce PS4 version, I think this is the first real trailer with ameplay of Heaven's Vault.

https://youtu.be/7MZZ6glfDZ0

On a different news....Into the Breach is out on Steam...do we know when it will be out on iOS as well?

We don't but:

A) It's once again obviously made with touch/iPad in mind, even more so here than FTL
B) It's fantastic

Can't wait to buy it again on iPad.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Makes sense financially but still a bit of a bummer yeah.

Actually it's worse....I saw the twitter exchange.
From being the first and only platform now it's 'still planned'.
I have no doubt it will come out but still...
Could be one month later or 6 months later.

The worse aspect is that I feel now Sony and Nintendo are aggressively targetting indies, fishing in the AppStore most famous crowd.
Couple it with an AppStore that isn't that lucrative as it used to be and iOS is becoming the least preferred platform for some things, after being the first or so for some years.
I can't blame devs of course, more money for them is better, but still it stings to me personally because no matter how much I tried I really really can't enjoy a game anymore playing in front of a TV or at a desk on PC, so iOS was great so far.

We will see, but I would lie if I wasn't bummed by the news and it was totally unexpected.

Last edited:

campbell

Oct 27, 2017

Smoke on the street is that PAPER Anne is super buggy.

Evoland II:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/evoland-2/id1291427111?mt=8

I can't remember if it was always like this but Heaven's Vault is now coming to PS4, Windows and Mac first with iOS "later".

Posting my Evoland II review later today, but I'm largely not a huge fan. It's poorly paced and the game references--while novel--don't feel as much like tributes as they do references for the sake of references.

Been playing quite a bit of Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?! which is pretty fun, though not quite as good as Daylight's previous game (Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/holy-potatoes-were-in-space/id1315946489?mt=8

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Tekken Mobile is hands down one of the best looking mobile games I've seen, I'm very impressed. I'm also frustrated because the game sucks and it's a shame it's not a proper fighting game on mobile like Street Fighter is :(

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Tekken Mobile is hands down one of the best looking mobile games I've seen, I'm very impressed. I'm also frustrated because the game sucks and it's a shame it's not a proper fighting game on mobile like Street Fighter is :(

It's quite impressive! We've been getting some lookers lately with Asphalt 9, PUBG Mobile and Black Desert Online Mobile, the latter being the most incredible mobile game yet graphically.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Actually it's worse....I saw the twitter exchange.
From being the first and only platform now it's 'still planned'.
I have no doubt it will come out but still...
Could be one month later or 6 months later.

The worse aspect is that I feel now Sony and Nintendo are aggressively targetting indies, fishing in the AppStore most famous crowd.
Couple it with an AppStore that isn't that lucrative as it used to be and iOS is becoming the least preferred platform for some things, after being the first or so for some years.
I can't blame devs of course, more money for them is better, but still it stings to me personally because no matter how much I tried I really really can't enjoy a game anymore playing in front of a TV or at a desk on PC, so iOS was great so far.

We will see, but I would lie if I wasn't bummed by the news and it was totally unexpected.
I agree with you 100%, I feel that Apple had it all in the palm of their hand and squandered a huge opportunity. I always imagined the iOS marketplace full of top quality console like games and a concept similar to the Nintendo Switch were I could play a game on my iPhone and then through cloud saving, continue playing on my Apple TV.
I'm beginning to see games with a higher price point on the store but I think it's to late.
Sorry but I'm finding my PS4 and Xbox One far better value with far better games for what I want.
I've moved on from Apple products and left them behind.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Lichtspeer Is a pretty little game. And it seems like a game that was a perfect fit for mobile.

Use your fingers to make arcs to throw your speers at an onslaught of enemies. Tons of variety, boss battles, special powers, etc. Was a steal at the $2 launch price.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Bought Litchspeer. Very polished and quite challenging. Good soundtrack too. Paid $4 but it's worth it. Lots of upgrades and enemy variety. Playing on an iPhone 7.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Feels odd losing mobile devs like Inkle and Simogo to other platforms for the time being. I almost want to blame Apple, but they have heavily featured the libraries of both developers on the app store so I guess I'll have to blame the fickle mobile audience.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
How is Alto's Odyssey? I never played the first but it always seemed cool, is the new one worth it?

Also, still need to grab Florence! Will probably play it this weekend.

There's too many good looking games on iOS.

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
How is Alto's Odyssey? I never played the first but it always seemed cool, is the new one worth it?

Also, still need to grab Florence! Will probably play it this weekend.

There's too many good looking games on iOS.

It's great but definitely more of the same. If you've never played the original I'd recommend picking up the one that's cheaper, which I assume is the first.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Evoland II:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/evoland-2/id1291427111?mt=8

I can't remember if it was always like this but Heaven's Vault is now coming to PS4, Windows and Mac first with iOS "later".
I am still waiting for this to come to Android, Evoland was such a fun little time waster. Sucks that in 2018 Apple Store still gets exclusives, mobile gaming shouldn't be like this god damn it.

Also, dash quest heroes' new update is horrible, losing the town shops, menus are too simple now, and no quests is boring as hell.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
March thread will be up tomorrow. Got hit by a nor'easter here, so power has been on and off all weekend.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it. In the meantime I use the last couple of hours of the February thread to share with you my new app tracking method, since AppZapp kind of stopped working for me and also does not run natively on iPad (also, does not support add to wishlist directly from the App Store). The other one I used to use (Price Tag) also stopped working propperly so I had so search for other means.

1. Simple App called "WSH LST" is basically the Wishlist from older iOS with the added feature of sorting them and see little icons if their price gets up or down. I think there are no notifications though. Also iOS 11 only.

2. And the best I found: Use a Workflow to add apps to an Appshopper account and get notified by mail. It does not stop there: The Workflow does also let you see the App history (prices, updates) and other Apps by the developer (and also lets you directly add them to your list).

In times were it is not sure how long or even if an app to track prices and updates survives on the App store, this seems like an unkillable option, although the Workflow does not show up through the in-app search function (probably because Apple owns Workflow nowadays), but a reddit user created it and shared a link here

Edit:

It is absolutely amazing. You can add multiple apps from the search or developer page and this thing automatically adds those to your list as well. You just need to confirm every entry with a top. Nontheless, I added like 20 apps in 1 minute.

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
This sounds amazing.
I'm not familiar with workflow, just downloaded it.
I managed to be able to add apps from the AppStore directly but...then what?
Thanks.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Might look into that but AppZapp still works well for me.

Works for me too, with the added plus that notifies differently for every country store.

But that workflow method is genious and lets you add thing from working the AppStore.

I added the 'add to wishlist' workflow but it's not working for me. Gets stuck in the app shopper website.