• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there are.

If you want something more on the action RPG side Djinn Caster is great. It's also on sale for $.99.

For more standard JRPGs, I'd recommend Fantasy Chronicle (my favorite but sadly think it might not be available anymore), Alphadia Genesis
and Asdivine Hearts. All of those also have sequels.
Ah thanks, there's so many but they like quite good. Was wondering what the cream of the crop were.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Ah thanks, there's so many but they like quite good. Was wondering what the cream of the crop were.

Most of them are fairly cookie cutter JRPGs and not that great but the ones I listed are better than the rest.

And looks like Fantasy Chronicle is still available. That one definitely rises above the others.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
What are some good games to play on an emulator on mobile? Preferably an emulator that runs in portrait mode. Just played through the first GBA Fire Emblem a bit ago.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Need to do write-ups for each for the voting thread but this is looking like my mobile GOTY list

1. Card Thief
2. Gorogoa
3. Yankai's Peak
4. Ticket To Earth
5. Age of Rivals
6. Frost
7. Simulacra
8. Freeways
9. Flipflop Solitaire
10. Bury Me, My Love
===
Linelight
Death Road To Canada
Dandy Dungeon
Cinco Paus

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Does Card Thief add more mechanics the further you get into it, like in the second or third clastle?

Each castle adds new special enemies, some require specific items or technics or combos to be 'captured' (or even just bypassed).
Also they are pretty mandatory because that is the only way to unlock the items/cards.
Then (imho) the best part of the game opens up, when you choose which items to bring in the castles to achieve high scores.
Everyone has its favorite 3 items and I've seen crazy combinations.
They are also mandatory to unlock the daily contracts (the ones with specific thieves each one with his own rules, different from the main game ones).

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Each castle adds new special enemies, some require specific items or technics or combos to be 'captured' (or even just bypassed).
Also they are pretty mandatory because that is the only way to unlock the items/cards.
Then (imho) the best part of the game opens up, when you choose which items to bring in the castles to achieve high scores.
Everyone has its favorite 3 items and I've seen crazy combinations.
They are also mandatory to unlock the daily contracts (the ones with specific thieves each one with his own rules, different from the main game ones).

Update: Ok reinstalled. Deleted it awaiting the trash loot to be replaced (back when i had the 16gb model and was extremely short in space) and forgot to reintall it after they changed that. Never reached the second castle thou. Thanks for letting me know. I tried it out and is so much better now. And it was really good. Now is beyond awesome.

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
What's a really good isometric/tile based dungeon crawler?

Rogue Wizards. It's F2P but if you like it, getting the gem doubler makes it close to premium IMO. There also are no timers or energy systems.

Great turn-based dungeon crawler with lots of variation in enemies, spells, etc. A bit on the casual side but gets challenging enough.

Have it on my top 10 for 2017.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
What im playing
DTSC2QUWsAEOhxD

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue Wizards. It's F2P but if you like it, getting the gem doubler makes it close to premium IMO. There also are no timers or energy systems.

Great turn-based dungeon crawler with lots of variation in enemies, spells, etc. A bit on the casual side but gets challenging enough.

Have it on my top 10 for 2017.
I've actually have played that already, really loved it!

Is Dungeons of Chaos or Adventure to Fate any good?

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually have played that already, really loved it!

Is Dungeons of Chaos or Adventure to Fate any good?

Haven't played Dungeons of Chaos. And I really need to redownload and play Adventure to Fate. I have it but think it may have gotten lost along the way in a phone upgrade or something. Remember liking what I played.

Thanks for reminding me about it! :)

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Aaron Steed, the creator of Ending has release a new game, Six Match, for iOS and Android!! Downloading!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/st33d/status/951939157290516481

iOShttps://t.co/OCv6dBNppc?amp=1
Android https://t.co/vlU5nSz4zM?amp=1
This is good, this is very good. Very meticulous

This article does a good job at talking about what makes it unique
www.electrondance.com/alone-and-beyond-help/
Six Match is very much of the Starseed Pilgrimschool of game design where it's down to you to figure it out. At first, everything is a little overwhelming but gradually the rules become legible. And after all those moments of understanding, Six Match continues to follow in the footsteps of Pilgrim, quietly transforming from curious beepy plaything into the Final Reckoning. Every game becomes a long, epic showdown, a struggle between you and the coins, the diamonds, the skulls, the blocks and did I mention the fucking skulls.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Starting to understand the rules of Six Match. The game sorts of explains the very basics and then lets you on your own. And there are some hidden mechanics here and there to help out, like CASH IN. Is really interesting. Was looking for a new and different match-3 games and this is it. Free with IAP to remove ads. The creator of the genious Ending is at it again

Last edited:

Narumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, Mobile Gaming ERA. I don't normally follow this thread, but I just got a new iPhone 8 and I wanna know what AR games/apps take great capabilities of the hardware. Preferably something free. I don't mind a tech demo. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2017
Starting to understand the rules of Six Match. The game sorts of explains the very basics and then lets you on your own. And there are some hidden mechanics here and there to help out, like CASH IN. Is really interesting. Was looking for a new and different match-3 games and this is it. Free with IAP to remove ads. The creator of the genious Ending is at it again
Either I'm not getting it or something's up with it on my 6s.
I see the ghost showing me some moves, I try and drag the white block one square in an orthogonal direction, it keeps going until it hits a wall. The block has gone from 6 to 0 and the game is over.
I know it sounds odd to even ask but how do you move the block?

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Either I'm not getting it or something's up with it on my 6s.
I see the ghost showing me some moves, I try and drag the white block one square in an orthogonal direction, it keeps going until it hits a wall. The block has gone from 6 to 0 and the game is over.
I know it sounds odd to even ask but how do you move the block?

Yeah that doesnt seem right. I just tap the next adjacent tile and the block just goes there and stops there. I will contact the dev showing this post theres something wrong

Edit: may i know the iOS version your iPhone is running?

Last edited:

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Hello. I wanted to know if I could talk about a mobile game we made with my brother in this thread. Just to get some visibility or feedbacks.
Knowing it is a game to chill, a bit in the style of picross / sudoku / hexcells but more casual.

Just tell me if it is not allowed or frowned upon ( Or if there is a more appropriate thread)

Thanks

JCho133

Dec 13, 2017
Anyone here play through Subsurface Circular by Bithell Games? Just played through it on Steam finally and holy shit, it was incredible. Some really clever call backs to Thomas Was Alone too.

8sanders

Oct 26, 2017
Hello. I wanted to know if I could talk about a mobile game we made with my brother in this thread. Just to get some visibility or feedbacks.
Knowing it is a game to chill, a bit in the style of picross / sudoku / hexcells but more casual.

Just tell me if it is not allowed or frowned upon ( Or if there is a more appropriate thread)

Thanks

Yeah, we don't mind . We get upset with spam or when people aren't honest about promoting themselves. We would love to give you opinions/advice!

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally tried Sky, but graphics are super blurry on my iPad Pro. And the controls feel weird, that you can only move with those hopps.

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, we don't mind . We get upset with spam or when people aren't honest about promoting themselves. We would love to give you opinions/advice!

OK thanks.
The game is called tents and trees. It's a chill reflexion game inspired by an old concept.
It's our 6th game, we tried to improve each times and we're open to comments.

kxRdP0Y.jpg

The game is available on IOS and android in 12 languages:
App Store
Google play

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone played the new Michael Brough jam Cinco Paus? How does it compare to 868-HACK or Imbroglio?

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK thanks.
The game is called tents and trees. It's a chill reflexion game inspired by an old concept.
It's our 6th game, we tried to improve each times and we're open to comments.

kxRdP0Y.jpg

The game is available on IOS and android in 12 languages:
App Store
Google play
Okay, I played it for roughly two hours now.

I am absolutely in love with Picross games and this one is not exactly Picross but certainly is inspired by it. To me this kind of puzzle is extremely addicting. I played the two first sets of puzzles and then unlocked the first "difficult" one, to see how the game gets more challenging, since the first two packs were fairly easy. It is absolutely great that you can get free hints, to understand some strategies. Without the hints I probably did not understand some techniques. However, some hints were not very clear to me, because I understood one essential rule from the tutorial incorrectly. It may be a thing of translation (I sent my girlfriend the game too and will ask her later, if she understood it correctly), but it is absolutely essential to understand that every tree always has ONLY ONE corresponding tent. First I thought I could "cover" two trees with one tent, which is completely wrong of course.

Now, my biggest gripe with the game: The monetization. I mean, I am not entirely clear about the whole picture, because I only played two hours and did not exactly calculate the cost of levels against what you get, but after a quick summation it seems abhorrent. You start with ten coins and the first pack with ten levels unlocked. Subsequent packs have 20 levels each. There are 26 packs in total. You get two coins for completing a level, there are 530 levels in total which brings you to a total of 1060 coins through normal play. However, later levels packs require 250 coins to unlock. A total of 4202 coins is required to unlock all "classic" level packs. Even if watch one ad after every completion, it brings your total coin count to 2120. Still short of roughly 2000 coins. The other way to gain those is through the gifts which are available every 6 (?) hours. However my first gift were only 15 coins and if that continues at this rate, it will take 35 days of continues on-time redeemption of the gift to get the last 2082 coins (that is, if you watch an ad to double every level reward, which probably is not possible!). Well, that was more calculation than I wanted, but it was fun.

While it is great that there are no forced ads and unlimited hints, I would wish for a way to directly pay for a non hindered access to the levels. I mean, buying currency to buy all packs out of box would cost 38 bucks which certainly is NOT what you game is worth. Maybe refine your F2P model instead. Deactivate unlimited hints, BUT add a more substantial tutorial with techniques, so you only need a hint if you are really stuck. Make hints available to buy, or through watching an ad. Also, you could add kind of a "level completion bonus" to speed up coin gain to unlock levels without waiting for gifts. Also, your daily levels have literally NO point in playing because they cost you MORE than you GET from completing them.

All in all, absolutely great puzzler which I will continue to play until I hit that "pay/wait" wall. I will definitely watch no ad to continue playing if content is so barred behind a wall.

Hopefully I overlooked something (like higher rewards in later levels) and you can clarify the issue, otherwise I would love to pay for your great work (but no 38 bucks, sorry). A good puzzler like Paint it Back is worth my 5 bucks and so may be yours.

Last edited:

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Okay, I played it for roughly two hours now.

I am absolutely in love with Picross games and this one is not exactly Picross but certainly is inspired by it. To me this kind of puzzle is extremely addicting. I played the two first sets of puzzles and then unlocked the first "difficult" one, to see how the game gets more challenging, since the first two packs were fairly easy. It is absolutely great that you can get free hints, to understand some strategies. Without the hints I probably did not understand some techniques. However, some hints were not very clear to me, because I understood one essential rule from the tutorial incorrectly. It may be a thing of translation (I sent my girlfriend the game too and will ask her later, if she understood it correctly), but it is absolutely essential to understand that every tree always has ONLY ONE corresponding tent. First I thought I could "cover" two trees with one tent, which is completely wrong of course.

Now, my biggest gripe with the game: The monetization. I mean, I am not entirely clear about the whole picture, because I only played two hours and did not exactly calculate the cost of levels against what you get, but after a quick summation it seems abhorrent. You start with ten coins and the first pack with ten levels unlocked. Subsequent packs have 20 levels each. There are 26 packs in total. You get two coins for completing a level, there are 530 levels in total which brings you to a total of 1060 coins through normal play. However, later levels packs require 250 coins to unlock. A total of 4202 coins is required to unlock all "classic" level packs. Even if watch one ad after every completion, it brings your total coin count to 2120. Still short of roughly 2000 coins. The other way to gain those is through the gifts which are available every 6 (?) hours. However my first gift were only 15 coins and if that continues at this rate, it will take 35 days of continues on-time redeemption of the gift to get the last 2082 coins (that is, if you watch an ad to double every level reward, which probably is not possible!). Well, that was more calculation than I wanted, but it was fun.

While it is great that there are no forced ads and unlimited hints, I would wish for a way to directly pay for a non hindered access to the levels. I mean, buying currency to buy all packs out of box would cost 38 bucks which certainly is NOT what you game is worth. Maybe refine your F2P model instead. Deactivate unlimited hints, BUT add a more substantial tutorial with techniques, so you only need a hint if you are really stuck. Make hints available to buy, or through watching an ad. Also, you could add kind of a "level completion bonus" to speed up coin gain to unlock levels without waiting for gifts. Also, your daily levels have literally NO point in playing because they cost you MORE than you GET from completing them.

All in all, absolutely great puzzler which I will continue to play until I hit that "pay/wait" wall. I will definitely watch no ad to continue playing if content is so barred behind a wall.

Hopefully I overlooked something (like higher rewards in later levels) and you can clarify the issue, otherwise I would love to pay for your great work (but no 38 bucks, sorry). A good puzzler like Paint it Back is worth my 5 bucks and so may be yours.

Thanks Oynox for your detailled feedback. Really appreciated.

On the monetization :
This is our 1st game with this type of monetization with coins / ads / rewards... Our previous games had a more classic monetization where you can pay packs with real money. As it also had its flaws, we wanted to try something different, while we knew we had no assurance it will be a good move (for us or the players). But we wanted to give it a shot.
To explain the philosophy, our core target are casual gamers who played a bit every day, just some levels. This type of monetization is especially adapted to this population as the gift available all 6 hours take all its importance with a shorter but more regular playtime. They even could play the whole game for free, or in any case, very much less than 38 bucks. For the 1st time we had difficult levels for a more gamer population (including myself) but we understand the monetization could feel less adapted. Also if you manage to unlock a difficult level on larger grid, we had a feedback that the time to resolve levels really increase and that 6 hours rewards get more importance though. Even it could feel a bit long to unlock these packs.
Anyway, we're only 2 weeks after launch and we still adjust values, we already lowered the pack prices. And coins after completing a pack could be a good idea (not only for coins but also for sensation of achievement / reward). It's why comments like yours are valuable for us (it's a pity I can't double this value by watching a little ad :).

On the tutorial :
Once again it is a bit a matter of type of player targeted, but of what we learned from our previous game and some other developers, making a too complex or long tutorial could be counter-productive. It seems that, for games from unknown developers, at each step/clic of a tutorial we loose players. Mobile players seem to ask for immediateness which could be difficult for a puzzle game who must explain how it works. That's also a reason we gave free hints, which are a sort of tutorial reminder. Anyway if you didn't understand one mechanic, it means we have to make some adjustments.
And if you saw an error of translation, please tell us. My post as surely already betrayed it, but English is not our first language (we're french). We pay for translation, that's our main investment (game is done on our spare time), so we hope it's ok.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Portal Knights is legit on iOS. Great graphics, controls are spot on. Same as the PS4 version so far. Amazing. Going to enjoy this

Edit: lol my battery. Same drain as The Witness

Last edited:

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well they really make sense for people if you get a hefty discount like that. Glad it works out for the devs.

JCho133

Dec 13, 2017
Just blasted through Gorogoa today. Just amazing, highly recommended to people looking for an experience similar to Monument Valley (or dare I say a superior one?)

fallscreen-730x455.png

Also.... for MikaMobile fans out there, it seems like Battleheart 2 is coming along very nicely, so we can expect it this year!
http://www.mikamobile.com/news/

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Hero Academy 2 is out. Enjoyed what I played of the first one and hope the sequel is balanced decently as well.

Hero Academy 2 by Robot Entertainment https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hero-academy-2/id1164507120?mt=8

Edit: now that I think about it, I played the first more after getting a sort of "premium" version through Humble Bundle on Android. Still, I remember playing on iOS before that and still had fun.