• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So I've put a good number of hours into Shadowgun Legends, and I'm still really enjoying it. I'm closing in on rank 15. I would definitely give this a shot if you're into the FPS mobile stuff. It plays great, the IAP stuff is cosmetic only (which is SO great considering the zombie stuff was NOT cosmetic only). The dungeons are neat, the arena dungeon is fun...It's taken me away from other games, and that's pretty rad.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
So I've put a good number of hours into Shadowgun Legends, and I'm still really enjoying it. I'm closing in on rank 15. I would definitely give this a shot if you're into the FPS mobile stuff. It plays great, the IAP stuff is cosmetic only (which is SO great considering the zombie stuff was NOT cosmetic only). The dungeons are neat, the arena dungeon is fun...It's taken me away from other games, and that's pretty rad.

Decided to give it a shot and it's really good. Probably the best shooter I've played on mobile so far. Nice to have a F2P shooter with no energy and tons of different gotchas. I usually don't bother with them but this one nails it with the cosmetics only IAP approach.

If anything it seems a bit easy so far but I'm sure that will change.

Fionel

Jan 11, 2018
I'm only like rank 5 so far in Shadowgun legends but so far I've only seen 3-4 types of enemies and the copy/paste design of the levels are starting to really bother me. Is it like that for most of the later stages in the campaign? Can I play coop with friends once I unlock higher ranks?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to give it a shot and it's really good. Probably the best shooter I've played on mobile so far. Nice to have a F2P shooter with no energy and tons of different gotchas. I usually don't bother with them but this one nails it with the cosmetics only IAP approach.

If anything it seems a bit easy so far but I'm sure that will change.

The main missions aren't terribly hard. More grindy. It's the arena and dungeon stuff that are more difficult (and more about mob management).

I'm only like rank 5 so far in Shadowgun legends but so far I've only seen 3-4 types of enemies and the copy/paste design of the levels are starting to really bother me. Is it like that for most of the later stages in the campaign? Can I play coop with friends once I unlock higher ranks?

The enemies so far aren't super interesting. It's definitely more a grindy skirmish type game. PvP can be fun, but the arena is a blast. I unlocked the third planet and haven't had a chance to check it out just yet. The maps are a bit different on each planet so far, though.

As for co-op, you can only do mutliplayer stuff through the Warzone or whatever it's called. The dungeons and arena things. Not in the normal missions and campaign stuff.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Does Shadowgun heat up the phone much? One thing that always bugged me about playing graphic intensive games on mobile is how warm they make iphones.

Oct 27, 2017
I just stumbled across this game and it's pretty fun.

Gerrymander (android)

Gerrymander (ios)

It's essentially a puzzle game where you've got to gerrymander map to get the most seats.
This is a fun (logic?) puzzle game! The combo streak system keeps the game challenging.
The f2p aspect is very forgiving: basically you can watch an ad to double your coins or you can pay 2 euro. If you don't you can just keep grinding the (randomly generated) levels.

The mechanics do get a bit repetitive after a while.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
More_Badass would you say that Into the Breach (Steam only, by the devs of FTL) has some resemblance to Hoplite (iOS) in its turn based chess like gameplay style?
Replied in the Steam thread, here you go
Hoplite is definitely a good comparison. Into The Breach is much more complex and less of an aggressive roguelike and more about defensive teamwork between your squad, but the premise of knowing how your enemies will act and using the knowledge of predictable systems to methodically plan out a solution each turn is reminiscent of Hoplite

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I haven't been following it so closely but I'm way more interested in Into the Breach after hearing that.
How it works is that your enemies telegraph their action, you react to their turn, and then they perform their telegraphed actions. Each enemy type has predictable moves with detailed outcomes, as does every action, so you know exactly how much damage you will do, how your attack with push or pull or damage an enemy, etc

You also know the order of events that will occur during a turn (ie environmental damage first, then fire, etc) so for example, if an enemy is on fire and only has one health left, you don't even have to worry about its attack because fire damage always occurs before enemy actions.

The combat is less about dealing damage and more about positioning; pretty much all your attacks push or pull enemies a certain amount of spaces. Some only move enemies and don't deal damage. This is important because 1) enemies can damage eachother so pushing enemies so they can hurt eachother is a major tactic and 2) it's a mech vs kaiju game and protecting buildings is more important than protecting your mechs. Pushing an enemy so its projected attack arc hits your own mech instead of building is also a common tactic. Pushing enemies into other enemies does damage too, so it's also like that mobile roguelike Auro as well

Fionel

Jan 11, 2018
The main missions aren't terribly hard. More grindy. It's the arena and dungeon stuff that are more difficult (and more about mob management).

The enemies so far aren't super interesting. It's definitely more a grindy skirmish type game. PvP can be fun, but the arena is a blast. I unlocked the third planet and haven't had a chance to check it out just yet. The maps are a bit different on each planet so far, though.

As for co-op, you can only do mutliplayer stuff through the Warzone or whatever it's called. The dungeons and arena things. Not in the normal missions and campaign stuff.

Thanks. I guess I'd have to grind to level 10 before i can try the Arena stuff then.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Unbelievable.

The awesome Swordigo has just been resurrected and even added iPhone X full support (looks GLORIOUS).

Synced with my old (3 years old) iCloud sync at endgame.

Amazing.

Thanks Killercow for the heads up!!!!

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable.

The awesome Swordigo has just been resurrected and even added iPhone X full support (looks GLORIOUS).

Synced with my old (3 years old) iCloud sync at endgame.

Amazing.

Thanks Killercow for the heads up!!!!

Strangely loved that game but never finished it. Think I'll redownload it and just start over.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Just played Cuphead on a friends Xbox and that is never coming to iOS. Not because i officially know this, but because is incredibly difficult. Cant even finish the first level lol

The amount of accuracy needed to succeed is not even guaranteed with a pad, so touch controls wont even hope to achieve that.

Shame, since the game is awesome but im sure adding it to my Steam library along with Into the Breach tomorrow, my payday.

Last edited:

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Yep. Have it and it's way too difficult. Wouldn't work well at all on iOS.

Definitly wont work well. Too many things at once coming at Cuphead. And the boss fights at the special place... defeated the first, second crushed me. And since i didnt have to finish the first level to check other levels, i did try others. Got crushed even harder. Damn i sucked. But i definitely got challenged... challenge accepted. Tomorrow at 12am. Ill be back. That can be left like that...

That game is never coming to iOS

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Hyperforma is awesome. Very unique take on brick breaking where you control moving the "bricks" — a 3D shape — to break them to get to the core in the center. Soundtrack and general atmosphere reminds me a bit of Thumper — sort of ominous.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
both Reigns 2 and Monument Valley 2 are on sale on Android for about half price.

also Motorsport Manager 2 for .99

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I dropped out of the beta pretty early unpleased with the general look and the ultra blurry textures....but the final version of Armello is GORGEOUS on iPhone X, real-time shadows and ultra hi-res textures.

So if you did he same...download it again.
I'm still digesting the tutorial (there is SO MUCH going on) and I've seems countless gorgeous animations and stuff.
Basically every card is animated.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
So envious of iOS owners simply because of the title selection. I can hardly find anything that comes close to quality of some iOS games on Android. I keep trying some of the newer titles that do come around but always seem to come back to Desert Golf. Also anxiously waiting on Alto's Odyssey to come out on Android.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I dropped out of the beta pretty early unpleased with the general look and the ultra blurry textures....but the final version of Armello is GORGEOUS on iPhone X, real-time shadows and ultra hi-res textures.

So if you did he same...download it again.
I'm still digesting the tutorial (there is SO MUCH going on) and I've seems countless gorgeous animations and stuff.
Basically every card is animated.

It's still really blurry and low res on the iPad Pro 10.5 :(

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
It's still really blurry and low res on the iPad Pro 10.5 :(

This is how I see it.
Actually everything is in motion and looks way better 'live' too.
Cool blur effect if you zoom out, simulating clouds.

ByyJB82.jpg

I'm actually really digging it, even if I'm still digesting all the various mechanics.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
This is how I see it.
Actually everything is in motion and looks way better 'live' too.
Cool blur effect if you zoom out, simulating clouds.

I'm actually really digging it, even if I'm still digesting all the various mechanics.

For me that's still way too low and it's exactly the same blown on iPad so no wonder it looks bad, especially coming from the crisp PC version. The gameplay though is quite great, especially here for free and with the mountain of content added since its original release.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
For me that's still way too low and it's exactly the same blown on iPad so no wonder it looks bad, especially coming from the crisp PC version. The gameplay though is quite great, especially here for free and with the mountain of content added since its original release.

TBH I'm now playing in front of the PC version, and it seems identical but the smaller screen (and maybe less clouds). It's probably because the smaller screen masks res and seen on a bigger screen it's worse. But it does looks glorious (actually I like it more on the oled screen for the vibrant colors compared to my shitty LCD panel).
I imagine if it's the same but just blown up on iPad, must be way worse.

The only con I see right now is text (could be bigger) and it makes the phone getting pretty hot after a while. And sadly, no async.
But I'm really digging it (graphically it is orders of magnitude better than the beta I tried where everything was like pixelated art and textures were laughable).

statha

Feb 15, 2018
So envious of iOS owners simply because of the title selection. I can hardly find anything that comes close to quality of some iOS games on Android. I keep trying some of the newer titles that do come around but always seem to come back to Desert Golf. Also anxiously waiting on Alto's Odyssey to come out on Android.

I so agree to that. I'm currently debating of getting an iPad (since I need a tablet anyway) for these reasons but I'm not sure how having two different platforms will work in the long run.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I so agree to that. I'm currently debating of getting an iPad (since I need a tablet anyway) for these reasons but I'm not sure how having two different platforms will work in the long run.

For a tablet, even for just a traditional use, I wouldn't even dare to think about using an Android one anyways. The OS has never been tailored to it at all, the updates are a constant mess between devices and apps are unoptimized. Plus, specs-wise, you can't rival the iPad. For phones it's a bit different but for tablets I wouldn't buy something other than an iPad.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Hyperforma is awesome. Very unique take on brick breaking where you control moving the "bricks" — a 3D shape — to break them to get to the core in the center. Soundtrack and general atmosphere reminds me a bit of Thumper — sort of ominous.

Hyperforma starts out really cool, but then turns into a pretty big bummer. You simply get too powerful and the challenge evaporates completely. You can beat it in a single sitting. More thoughts here.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Also a new round of invites for Fornite went out. Feel free to PM if you're still looking for one.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Hyperforma starts out really cool, but then turns into a pretty big bummer. You simply get too powerful and the challenge evaporates completely. You can beat it in a single sitting. More thoughts here.

Yeah, I haven't played much yet but was loving the atmosphere and gameplay up to that point (only had one powerup).

After reading your review, maybe I'll try playing without power ups! Be nice if the dev would add some more challenging levels. It has a lot of promise.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I haven't played much yet but was loving the atmosphere and gameplay up to that point (only had one powerup).

After reading your review, maybe I'll try playing without power ups! Be nice if the dev would add some more challenging levels. It has a lot of promise.

Probably a good idea, though the game doesn't incentivize you to play without powers at all. I got most of the challenges just fine by spamming powers. Seems like such a major oversight for a game that is otherwise so well put together.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So the new iPad apparently has the same processor as the iPhone 7/7+ (the A10), do those devices run graphic intense games like The Witness or Talos Principle (can't think of anything else more demanding at the moment) really well?
Is there anything those devices struggle with compared to the iPad Pros or the Phone 8/8+/X?

I haven't decided if I want to get this new iPad, an iPad Pro (probably refurbished from Apple since I've heard they're practically good as new), or just jump into an iPhone.

I know there are a few iPad only games (like FTL or Civ 6), and games that are just better on an iPad (like Baldur's Gate), but the convenience of having the vast majority of my iOS games in my pocket at all times is definitely appealing too.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
So the new iPad apparently has the same processor as the iPhone 7/7+ (the A10), do those devices run graphic intense games like The Witness or Talos Principle (can't think of anything else more demanding at the moment) really well?
Is there anything those devices struggle with compared to the iPad Pros or the Phone 8/8+/X?

I haven't decided if I want to get this new iPad, an iPad Pro (probably refurbished from Apple since I've heard they're practically good as new), or just jump into an iPhone.

I know there are a few iPad only games (like FTL or Civ 6), and games that are just better on an iPad (like Baldur's Gate), but the convenience of having the vast majority of my iOS games in my pocket at all times is definitely appealing too.

The iPad Pro is also running on the A10 Fusion but it's unclear whether this iPad will run at the same clock and with the same ram so for now it's hard to say. It should be more than enough though.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I wasn' t aware of this, thinking it was announced only for Nintendo Switch, but apparently Kingdom: Two Crowns, the third installment of the great franchise, is coming to mobile as well.
It's Kingdom evolved (I spotted fire in new screenshots) with a multiplayer twist. You can play with a friend sharing the Kingdom.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got a new Iphone X, moving on from an Iphone 6.
To celebrate, I want to get the games with the most impressive graphics. Already know about GRID, Talos Principle, Fortnite, PUBG and The Witness.

What are other games to show of the graphics of mobile games on IOS?

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
I finally got a new Iphone X, moving on from an Iphone 6.
To celebrate, I want to get the games with the most impressive graphics. Already know about GRID, Talos Principle, Fortnite, PUBG and The Witness.

What are other games to show of the graphics of mobile games on IOS?

Asphalt 9 and Sky are also a great way to showcase the power of your new iDevice but you'll need a VPN to play both at the moment.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowrun Legends would be a good showcase as well. And funny enough that the Infinity Blade games are still some of the best looking games on iOS.