• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for Dragon Quest (iOS) annual price-drop - I need my DQ fix after finishing DQ XI. I noticed SE usually drops the price of DQ IV during New Year holidays.

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just me or does Grimvalor not actually sync between phone and iPad? It mentions that it will sync and take minutes but it never seems to happen.

Checking iCloud and Grimvalor doesn't show in that list either.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
So 3 months after Valleys Between was launched and they still didn't update any new goals? Wanted to play today but without objective it loses some of the fun. Shouldn't be difficult to add some new goals. I am also turned off that they changed one of the main game mechanics to make it easier... Meh.

Bought Her Story to play on my next trip (no idea when it will happen, but my iPad is ready).

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
So 3 months after Valleys Between was launched and they still didn't update any new goals? Wanted to play today but without objective it loses some of the fun. Shouldn't be difficult to add some new goals. I am also turned off that they changed one of the main game mechanics to make it easier... Meh.

I'm not sure if there will be any more updates. The game didn't do well enough post featuring to support the studio as I understand it, and the team has split up - we've hired one of the programmers last week, and a couple of others were picked up by the Mini Metro team.

Possible it gets folded into the Mini Metro portfolio and updated from there, as they were sort of under their wing.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I'm not sure if there will be any more updates. The game didn't do well enough post featuring to support the studio as I understand it, and the team has split up - we've hired one of the programmers last week, and a couple of others were picked up by the Mini Metro team.

Possible it gets folded into the Mini Metro portfolio and updated from there, as they were sort of under their wing.

Mini Metro is <3. Have it on PC since it was audioless and also have on my Android and play with my girlfriend every now and then (she is better than me).

I expected updates because there is a "coming soon" written for new goals and they even updated it with a Xmas theme. I see that there is a xmas tree on the main menu and I velieve there are new animals that didnt exist before (even though most of them are just old ones in new colors - different colored bears etc).

I used to be the #15 in the ranking when I reached the last goal, now I am way down in the list so I thought it was selling well. Maybe people just got better scores after the dumbled down update. I still recommend it though.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Mini Metro is <3. Have it on PC since it was audioless and also have on my Android and play with my girlfriend every now and then (she is better than me).

I expected updates because there is a "coming soon" written for new goals and they even updated it with a Xmas theme. I see that there is a xmas tree on the main menu and I velieve there are new animals that didnt exist before (even though most of them are just old ones in new colors - different colored bears etc).

I used to be the #15 in the ranking when I reached the last goal, now I am way down in the list so I thought it was selling well. Maybe people just got better scores after the dumbled down update. I still recommend it though.
I'm not sure what the plan is, so updated may be happening. Just expect them on a slower cadence than might be normal.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for Dragon Quest (iOS) annual price-drop - I need my DQ fix after finishing DQ XI. I noticed SE usually drops the price of DQ IV during New Year holidays.

Looks like Dragon Quest I, II, III, IV, V, VI, and VIII are currently on sale. (Edit: just noticed VI)

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Been wanting to pick up Dragon Quest VIII but $14.99 is still pretty high for a "sale" price. And the port itself seems to have mixed reviews.

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to buy iTunes gift cards with discount? I need some € cards to get more DQ ports :)

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Bring you home is on sale for a buck. Picked it up because I only recently completed Love you to Bits. Really looking forward to that.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have tips for Cinco Paus? Feel like I'm banging my head against the wall a bit figuring out what each effect does.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I remember around the time when this was first written. I wanted to get Cinco Paus but felt like I would be cheating by using this resource. I love 868-HACK, though. Only having looked at a few of the icons in that list, is it worth playing without using that resource, or does it make much of a difference, aside from not needing to trial and error? I am most interested in the gameplay.

Don't forget the Khmer and Indonisia DLC pack, for Civilization VI, as it is now available for free.

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
My personal shortlist for iOS GOTY this year is:

Twinfold
Teslagrad
Oddmar
GrimValor

If I have to pick up just one, it would be probably Twinfold.

Special mention for Chaos Reborn (ruined by lack of notifications) and Harald, who would have been probably my GOTY if they patched the absurd 4 hour async limit.

As a recent Nintendo Switch owner I add both Breath of the Wild and Hollowknight to my personal list even if I know they aren't this year games.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
As is usual, I only include games that are mobile exclusives or launched the same day as others (ie., no ports).

There were a ton of great games this year but five rose above the rest. In no particular order:

Wonder Blade
Grimvalor
Oddmar
Suzy Cube
Dandara

Honorable mentions
Slydris 2
Florence
Super Fowlst
Marbloid
Monster Hunter Stories
Dungeon X Dungeon
Barbearian
Farabel
Twinfold
See Saw
Minesweeper Genius
Battleheart 2
Tiny Bubbles
Pocket City

Favorite ports:
Bendy and the Ink Machine
Fidel Dungeon Rescue
Chaos Reborn
Stardew Valley
Teslagrad

Last edited:

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Out of what I have played (not yet GrimValor or Oddmar), I would have to give my GOTY to Twinfold as I have sunk so much time into it. I would give honorable mention to Motorsport Manager Mobile 3 and Istanbul Digital Edition. Best port would be Stardew Valley, despite how buggy it was at launch.

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have probably played Slydris 2 and Marbloid the most out of all my games this year. But that doesn't necessarily make them GOTY material - just fun addicting games still worthy of honorable mention.

I liked Twinfold enough for an honorable mention but just could not get into it like others did.

If I had to choose one game for GOTY, it would be a very tough choice between Oddmar, Wonder Blade and Grimvalor. All just amazing games.

Last edited:

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
My GOTYs are

Wonder Blade
Oddmar
Holedown

Honorable mentions:

Suzy Cube
Barbearian
Part Time UFO
Meowoof
and
Silverfish DX for bringing back old school arcade mayhem

8sanders

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have tips for Cinco Paus? Feel like I'm banging my head against the wall a bit figuring out what each effect does.
I remember around the time when this was first written. I wanted to get Cinco Paus but felt like I would be cheating by using this resource. I love 868-HACK, though. Only having looked at a few of the icons in that list, is it worth playing without using that resource, or does it make much of a difference, aside from not needing to trial and error? I am most interested in the gameplay.

Don't forget the Khmer and Indonisia DLC pack, for Civilization VI, as it is now available for free.
i don't really like the aspect of trying to figure them out. The list really helps out and I find that it doesn't take away from the game at all. In fact, I really started to enjoy and appreciate the game after using the guide.

john titor

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, has anyone played Homo Machina? The art has kept me intereseted for a while. Is it any good?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Grim Valor during a sale, and I'm pretty impressed. It's a fun little game to mess with, and the controls are better than I expected.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oddmar is pretty fantastic but some passages scream "Controller!!!" really loud.
Touch just does not fit a Jump n run, Even if it's executed as well as in Oddmar

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
The roguelike Narakan: Into the Dark is currently free, but it looks like it will be going back to $2.99 soon (likely at the change, today, perhaps sooner).

Awesome. Had wanted to try that. Thanks for the heads up!

Don't think that showed up on AppSliced. They seem to miss some stuff.

Guess Narakan was really buggy when it launched but apparently had a big update that fixed a lot of the issues and redesigned maps, etc.

Last edited:

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Had wanted to try that. Thanks for the heads up!

Don't think that showed up on AppSliced. They seem to miss some stuff.

Guess Narakan was really buggy when it launched but apparently had a big update that fixed a lot of the issues and redesigned maps, etc.

I found it browsing AppSliced. Usually, I only look at paid sales, but since it was at the top of the popularity, earlier, I noticed it before switching the filter.

Edit: Seems it is still most popular over the past 72 hours. Seems I got the name wrong; it is "Into The Dark: Narakan".

Last edited:

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I found it browsing AppSliced. Usually, I only look at paid sales, but since it was at the top of the popularity, earlier, I noticed it before switching the filter.

Edit: Seems it is still most popular over the past 72 hours. Seems I got the name wrong; it is "Into The Dark: Narakan".

Weird. I have a filter on games and it doesn't show up. But when I go to all apps, I do see it. Maybe the games filter doesn't work.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Ridiculous. The Rusty Lake games were removed from the Store by Apple, because they were "looking too similar"

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Hey guys, has anyone played Homo Machina? The art has kept me intereseted for a while. Is it any good?
Fun little game that is for me personally a true testament to games being art. It tells its own story with in a unique manner, with everything being perfectly within reason for what the game proposes to do.
Ridiculous. The Rusty Lake games were removed from the Store by Apple, because they were "looking too similar"
Meanwhile there are 100s of cheap room escape games that offer little to no gameplay differentation. Utter bull.

Flunkie

Oct 25, 2017
Mountain West
Rusty Lake games are back, don't worry. I need to actually go through them soon...

Also, I remember putting together the Game Center name list for the old forum... do y'all have anything similar nowadays?

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with Android mess around with Steam Link? I have it on my Shield TV which I honestly haven't used much lately but installed it today on my old Shield Tablet. I had finally picked up Slay the Spire and wanted to see how well it worked on it.

While the stream itself wasn't completely rock solid, the game itself worked perfectly choosing "mouse" as the controller. Pretty much just like playing a mobile game. Dragged the cards to attack, etc.

Awesome because I can now play StS on my couch or in bed. Give me a fix until the mobile version (hopefully) comes out someday.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else have their save data get ruined by the Oddmar update awhile ago? Only progress and gold are still there. Big coins and times/special levels were all erased. Utterly inexcusable for any title let alone one as high profile as this.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Oddmar is pretty fantastic but some passages scream "Controller!!!" really loud.
Touch just does not fit a Jump n run, Even if it's executed as well as in Oddmar
I just started Oddmar and I don't think I'll play much more of it without a controller.

I don't think I'd mind the left/right movement controls, but the swipe up to jump doesn't feel very good to me. I'm sure I could adjust to it, I just feel like a simple "press to jump" would be a lot better, unless the game uses that for more later on.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
I just started Oddmar and I don't think I'll play much more of it without a controller.

I don't think I'd mind the left/right movement controls, but the swipe up to jump doesn't feel very good to me. I'm sure I could adjust to it, I just feel like a simple "press to jump" would be a lot better, unless the game uses that for more later on.

I am in the same boat. Picked it up on sale because of all the GOTY praise, but it's hard to come over the controls. As you mentioned, the swipe up to jump feels extremely unintuitive.