• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the monthly mobile gaming thread, where we discuss the best and most interesting titles coming to iOS and Android each and every month. From sales, to exciting new releases, to promising games in the works, mobile gaming is vast and growing medium, with entries in genres of every fashion, premium and free alike.

The main post will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the ERA community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Additional resources for games released during 2017, 2016, and prior will be available soon.

_____________________________________________________________________________​

SEPTEMBER'S FEATURED NEW RELEASES

5H6psGD.jpg
bCf0EMz.jpg
2bSBEzQ.jpg

Where Shadows Slumber
App Store
Site | $4.99
Where Shadows Slumber is a mobile adventure puzzle game that takes place in a world that has been plunged into darkness. You will guide Obe, an old man who discovers a mysterious lantern in the forest, on one last journey.

The only tools at your disposal are your wits and the chaotic nature of the universe. Anything that is not touched by light has the freedom to change. This governing principle will be your guide in the darkness, but also your undoing. After all, if you are not touched by the light, you have the freedom to change as well.

WWS-Rev-2.jpg

Life Is Strange: Before The Storm
App Store | Google Play
Site | Free ($11.99 Full Game)
Life is Strange: Before the Storm features Chloe Price a 16 year-old rebel who forms an unlikely friendship with Rachel Amber, a beautiful and popular girl destined for success. When Rachel's world is turned upside down by a family secret it takes their new found alliance to give each other the strength to overcome their demons.

7F4CF11B-75F3-4437-892C-11592619DA6B.png

Cube Escape: Paradox
App Store | Google Play
Site | Free
When the infamous detective Dale Vandermeer wakes up in an ominous room without any recollection of his past, he soon finds himself part of a bizarre game orchestrated by an old foe. Dale must solve increasingly challenging puzzles to escape the room and recover his memories.

PC2dTz.png

Professor Layton and the Curious Village HD
App Store | Google Play
Site | $9.99
With over 17 million units sold worldwide, discover the original title that shaped the puzzle-adventure genre and launched a legacy. Digitally remastered in HD for mobile devices and with new, never-before-seen animated cutscenes, it's time to run the cerebral marathon with Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

The tale begins as Professor Layton, a true English gentleman and famous archeologist, drives to the remote settlement of St. Mystere with his apprentice, Luke, in response to a request from the widow of a wealthy baron. The baron's will indicates that the family treasure, the Golden Apple, is hidden somewhere within the village, and whoever finds it will inherit the whole of the Reinhold Estate. The Professor and Luke must search the town for clues leading to the precious heirloom.

Featuring a distinctive artistic style that oozes old-world charm, the game's quirky cast of characters instantly comes to life. The animated cutscenes, remastered in HD, tell key parts of the tale in gorgeous detail. And ever-present in the background, the original soundtrack, beloved by many players, keenly captures the mood of the Layton universe.

CuriousLayton.jpg

Alphabear 2
App Store | Google Play
Site | Free
Alphabear 2 is an original English word puzzle game by Spry Fox, and the sequel to our hit 2015 game!

In Alphabear 2, you spell words by selecting letters on a puzzle grid. When you use letters that are adjacent to each other, bears appear! The more letters you use, the bigger the bear gets, and the more points you earn. Spelling words cleverly is the key to success!

Alphabear-2-pre-registration-870x440.jpg

Returner Zhero
App Store
Site | $4.99
A stunning 3D tactile space mystery puzzle game. Solve alien puzzles in an immersive sci-fi environment with spectacular graphics. This is a stand-alone game in the Returner series.

Experience a story of friendship and sacrifice, as you take on the role of a scientist who risked everything to spy on the aliens that invaded Earth. Frozen on the alien spaceship for five years, you awake when your old friend Colonel Ling enters the ship as a last ditch effort to get back to Earth. Journey through the mysteries of the massive crystal spaceship and complete your mission.

643x0w.jpg

Valleys Between
App Store
Site | $2.99
Nurture a thriving, beautiful world by creating life, developing communities and discovering the quiet mysteries of the valley.

04_ValleysBetween.png

Chaos Reborn: Adventures
App Store | Google Play
Site | $9.99
From the creator of X-COM, Chaos Reborn has arrived on your mobile device with Chaos Reborn: Adventures!

Defeat magical wizards in tactical turn-based combat in this spellcasting strategy RPG! Chaos Reborn: Adventures combines RPG-style turn-based combat with the tactical positioning of chess and the bluff of poker to create an entirely unique strategy game. Customize your wizard with 100s of gear items, spells, and mythical creatures to secure victory!

Battle your friends in a head-to-head competitive multiplayer mode, or try your hand at a robust single-player narrative campaign as you discover a complex tale of warring wizard factions, mystical realms, and supernatural forces. The choice is yours!

Chaos-Reborn-iOS-Head.jpg

Toppl
App Store | Google Play
Site | $1.99
Swipe, topple, rotate - Toppl is a perspective puzzle game for fans of spatial brain teasers!
The goal is to move and rotate the puzzle pieces so that they match the target-shape. For perfect plays you will be rewarded a star with which you can unlock new stages. Toppl will challenge you over the course of four exciting worlds and 40 different levels with varying puzzle mechanics.

643x0w.jpg

Lettergraf
App Store | Google Play
Site | $0.99
Combining elements from popular classic games, with a unique puzzle mechanic fusing Rubik's cube rotation and crossword game, this is not your typical word game.

643x0w.jpg

OTHER NOTABLE RELEASES

Animus: Harbinger (iOS, Android) - Free
BestLuck (iOS, Android) - $1.99
Bouncing Hero (iOS, Android) - $2.99
Dragalia Lost (iOS, Android) - Free
Final Frontier: A New Journey (iOS) - $2.99
Harvest Moon: Light of Hope (iOS, Android) - $14.99
Hot Guns (iOS, Android) - $1.99
Mars Power Industries (iOS) - $1.99
Rush Rover (iOS) - $1.99

UPCOMING RELEASES

===

PREVIOUS THREADS

Mobile Gaming July/August 2018 | Get Ready to Battle Your Heart Out
Mobile Gaming June 2018 | Apple needs to let off some Steam
Mobile Gaming May 2018 | Mayday! Too many games to play
Mobile Gaming April 2018 | Portable Battle Royale
Mobile Gaming March 2018 | A lovely month for gaming on the go
Mobile Gaming February 2018 | A Thumping good time!
Mobile Gaming January 2018 | New ERA, new year, and so many new games
Mobile Gaming December 2017 | A Frosty X-mas Season
Mobile Gaming November 2017 | Giving thanks for iOS and Android alike

Last edited:

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
AUGUST'S FEATURED NEW RELEASES

OKrHNVZ.jpg
1WK4EHS.jpg
ucgW1WB.jpg

NQqBWYl.jpg
6QOQSRM.jpg
wHGfZZs.jpg

Donut County
App Store
Site | $4.99

Holedown
App Store | Google Play
Site | $3.99

Barbearian
App Store
Site | $8.99

Teen Titans Go! Figure
App Store | Google Play
Site | $3.99

Evergarden
App Store
Site | $4.99

Battleheart 2
App Store | Google Play
Site | $3.99

Motorsport Manager Mobile 3
App Store | Google Play
Site | $3.99

Pocket City
App Store | Google Play
Site | $4.99

Fracter
App Store | Google Play
Site | $3.99

Unpuzzle
App Store | Google Play
Site | Free

Absolute Drift
App Store
Site | $2.99

Wonder Blade
App Store
Site | $2.99

Lettergraf
App Store | Google Play
Site | $0.99

Fighting Fantasy Legends
App Store | Google Play
Site | $4.99

The Sequence 2
App Store
Site | $1.99

One Hour One Life
App Store | Google Play
Site | $4.99​

Last edited:

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Yes, it's a must have IMO. One of my favorite release this year so far.

It was first on my to buy list (also after your endorsement) but I've been super busy with other things and beta testing some games so I waited....but this sale was too tempting.
So far I had a blast (1 hour or so).
Almost on par with Oddmar, technically speaking.

If only it had multiplayer!!!!

Highly recommended.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I actually truly feel I robbed the dev.
Just the number of different animations and combos is incredible.

Actual gameplay is fantastic.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone buy Pocket City and how is it? Looks great and no IAPs/long waits could be awesome.

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone buy Pocket City and how is it? Looks great and no IAPs/long waits could be awesome.

The fact that it has no IAP or waits is easily it's biggest selling point. The progression is fun, too. Otherwise, I think its tools and systems are a bit lacking, though I know a lot of folks disagree with me on that.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for some chill games on my new Note 9? I've moved from iOS but want something to enjoy on this new device.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Ok.

Wonder Blade is absolutely glorious.
Can't put it down.

On a side note, it's a technical marvel.
Not only it's light on battery, it works on ancient devices too.
My son, who embarrassingly is ahead of me, is playing it on an iPad 3.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I am still playing the hell out of Solgard. It's a shame no one else has picked up on this style of gameplay because I love it.

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, my fiance would love these games on her phone.

My only worry is if it's any higher than $3-5 she might not get it. She's used to playing stuff like Dots that's free and has practically unlimited content. She'd probably blow through this game in a few days.

Given the price on the Japanese Appstore, this is going to be one upfront payement of 8.99.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Slayin 2 coming in 2019!!!

Via Saucycarpdog on twitter

I actually reached out to the devs directly about this and they said the following: "Sorry to inform you but Slayin 2 is for PC at the moment. There are no plans for a smartphone release."
Oh god damn it. Slayin is my jam. Its like a hack and slash version of that ball busting game where the balls get smaller. Its oerfect for mobile, I dunno about PC.

In anycase, Alphabear 2 is great. The stort mode is a much needes addition, and its cute in its referential ways. Beyond that, I am hooked on Launcha Libre again. After being burned out with no cloud saves and redoinf it two times in a row, I came back after seeing it got a major content boost. The time travel and mystery shop bonuses are great, the gameplay loop needed cookie clicker style mechanics.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I only played the first 10 levels, but unpuzzle already feels like its going to be a special experience. Minimal, tight, instantly recognizable game mechanics, and the right amount of difficulty. Don't sleep on it.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, my fiance would love these games on her phone.

My only worry is if it's any higher than $3-5 she might not get it. She's used to playing stuff like Dots that's free and has practically unlimited content. She'd probably blow through this game in a few days.

Layton's Mystery Journey, on iOS, is $15.99. I am not sure if they would price it that high, but I wouldn't be surprised.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
So i ordered a iPad Pro. Its been 3 years since i did any phone/tablet gaming. Looking forward to get it

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like a few promising games are perma "soft launched":

Durango
Torchlight (the Guardians one, looks alright as far as loot based games on iOS go)
Black Desert M
Albion Online (Android only)

I am still awaiting a solid, loot based ARPG / MMO from a reputable developer that isn't a lazy P2W abomination. I suppose the rumoured Diablo mobile might be the answer...

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
hope you got a deal on it. New one out very soon.

Yeah of course

I feel like a few promising games are perma "soft launched":

Durango
Torchlight (the Guardians one, looks alright as far as loot based games on iOS go)
Black Desert M
Albion Online (Android only)

I am still awaiting a solid, loot based ARPG / MMO from a reputable developer that isn't a lazy P2W abomination. I suppose the rumoured Diablo mobile might be the answer...

Black Desert Mobile is scheduled to launch in Taiwan in 3rd quarter 2018 (June to Sep), while the Southeast Asia server could launch during the same time or right after. The North America and Europe version of Black Desert Mobile will only launch in the first quarter of 2019 (Jan to March)

Sauce: https://mmoculture.com/2018/05/blac...reveals-launch-schedule-for-overseas-servers/

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Sounds like PC port Chaos Reborn (from the creators of X-Com) is beginning to propagate the App Store in other countries. Should probably be in the US at 11 EST tonight.

Super psyched for this one. Premium at $9.99.

Chaos Reborn: Adventures by Big Blue Bubble
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chaos-reborn-adventures/id1361132034?mt=8

I'm hyped about this one too, but I'm playing too many games including some glorious ones at the moment...so I'm very much looking forward to your impressions if you can.
To be completely honest tought, I fall asleep everytime I watch a video about it, not sure why :P

awp69

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped about this one too, but I'm playing too many games including some glorious ones at the moment...so I'm very much looking forward to your impressions if you can.
To be completely honest tought, I fall asleep everytime I watch a video about it, not sure why :P

I know what you mean. I have way too many great games that I am playing or need to play so probably shouldn't be getting yet another one.

I'll probably suck like I do most games like this but I like the fantasy theme and looks way more polished than similar games on iOS (save Warhammer).

campbell

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god damn it. Slayin is my jam. Its like a hack and slash version of that ball busting game where the balls get smaller. Its oerfect for mobile, I dunno about PC.

I believe you're referring to Super Pang? If so, and you like games like that, I recommend you check out The Bug Butcher if you haven't already.

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
The official Level 5 Layton twitter account just tweeted that Professor Layton and the Curious Village HD is coming soon to iOS and Android.