Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Synopsis-

A.S. (Ad Stella) 122: An era when a multitude of corporations have entered space and built a huge economic system. A lone girl from the remote planet Mercury transfers to the Asticassia School of Technology, run by the Beneritt Group which dominates the mobile suit industry. Her name is Suletta Mercury. With a scarlet light burning in her pure heart, this girl walks step by step through a new world.

The Witch from Mercury marks the first mainline Gundam TV anime production in 7 years since Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, the first series in the franchise to feature a female main character. Zeta and Turn-A do not count.

Staff-

Director: Hiroshi Kobayashi
Co-Director: Ryo Ando
Story & Script: Ichiro Okouchi
Music: Takashi Ohmama
Original Character Design: Mogumo
Character Design: Marie Tagashira, Juri Toida , Hirotoshi Takaya
Chief Mechanical Animator: Shinya Kusumegi, Kanta Suzuk, Seimei Maeda

Characters-

latest

Suletta Mercury:
She is a second-year student in the piloting department who transferred to the school from Mercury. Suletta is a timid girl who has trouble communicating with people other than her mother. She is the pilot of the Gundam Aerial developed on Mercury.

02_front-380x1024.png

Miorine Rembran:
An attractive and academically distinguished second-year student in the management strategy department. Miorine is the only daughter of Delling Rembran, the president of the Beneritt Group and chairman of the school's board. Her late mother was a botanist, and Miorine keeps a small greenhouse on school grounds in her memory. She has a strong rebellious feeling towards her father, who barely acknowledges her beyond her status as his family.

Mecha -

Gundam Aerial:

Its powers are mediated by a new mineral called Permet, being very similar to the characteristics of the forbidden machine GUND-ARM, popularly known as "GUNDAM", which employed "GUND FORMAT", a system for MS that aimed at human augmentation.

Prologue (Required Viewing) -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGW2JRxWUU

Opening Theme-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eytpBOkOFA&ab_channel=Ayase%2FYOASOBI

Broadcast/Streaming Schedule & Service-

Sundays at 5:00 p.m. JST.

1664705287452818.jpg

Last edited:

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the first episode, this was great.

I'm in for Gundam Utena.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Before today, I never knew that Gundam Utena was something I needed in my life. But now I do.

Fun first episode, and hopefully the show keeps it up.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Before today, I never knew that Gundam Utena was something I needed in my life. But now I do.

Fun first episode, and hopefully the show keeps it up.
Yeah it's a great pick for a first arc setup. Though obviously things are going to go to hell and the school will burn. This is Gundam after all

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
I laughed at the note about Zeta and Turn A

Looking forward to this series. Hope she tops Uso's count as a natural born killer. She already demonstrated the skills for that in the prologue.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Great first episode, some amazing voice talent in there and can't wait to see where this goes from here.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm in, the last Gundam I really enjoyed was the Unicorn OVAs. Hard to believe this is the first new main series since IBO

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The fight (and the hype-inducing OST accompaniment ) was great, but now I'm curious as to where the conflict will come from, if Aeriel is this OP already, lol.

Presumably the other fighters will catch up/catch-on to the beam spam or throw more numbers at it), and the Romeo/Juliet and/or Utena/Anthy setup seems fairly self-evident, but I guess we'll see.

Heads up the Japanese site has a short WN that covers some important info between the prologue and episode 1. Especially considering who's perspective it's from
g-witch.net

機動戦士ガンダム 水星の魔女 公式サイト

『機動戦士ガンダム 水星の魔女』各種配信サービスにて配信中

Damn, even with auto-translate messing some stuff up, that's some spoiler-filled stuff, there. Good, but definitely spoiler-filled.

I imagine we'll get some of it in episode 2/3, admittedly, but that definitely re-contextualizes things.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on a dub, or am I gonna have to cave and do subs?
It's undoubtedly getting dubbed, but it probably won't happen until the first season is done. Simuldubbing can be a lot more expensive than doing it in batches, especially now that dub voice actors are starting to demand better terms and union contracts.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I watch super few anime these days. And i haven't watched a Gundam since Seed i think. But finally one with a female protagonist piqued my interest.
Watched the prologue a few days ago and it was great. And now hearing the Gundam x Utena stuff sound really good. I hope this delivers.

But while i always watched subs in the past, i nowadays prefer dubs for animated stuff (still never watch dubbed live action stuff though).
So i'm not sure if i should watch it now or wait (a long ass time) for the dubs...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The fight (and the hype-inducing OST accompaniment ) was great, but now I'm curious as to where the conflict will come from, if Aeriel is this OP already, lol.

Presumably the other fighters will catch up/catch-on to the beam spam or throw more numbers at it), and the Romeo/Juliet and/or Utena/Anthy setup seems fairly self-evident, but I guess we'll see.

Damn, even with auto-translate messing some stuff up, that's some spoiler-filled stuff, there. Good, but definitely spoiler-filled.

I imagine we'll get some of it in episode 2/3, admittedly, but that definitely re-contextualizes things.
Yeah some dark implications for where things will go. Suletta's mom is definitely out for blood and planning to take advantage of the situation. Wouldn't be surprised if she initiates some sort of corporate civil war. Tho I don't expect that to come into play till the second cour.

The Aerial is sentient twist is definitely a huge one. Also begs the question of when it was built, does it actually predate Ilfrit? Is the latter actually the production prototype rather than the full one

It's undoubtedly getting dubbed, but it probably won't happen until the first season is done. Simuldubbing can be a lot more expensive than doing it in batches, especially now that dub voice actors are starting to demand better terms and union contracts.

I watch super few anime these days. And i haven't watched a Gundam since Seed i think. But finally one with a female protagonist piqued my interest.
Watched the prologue a few days ago and it was great. And now hearing the Gundam x Utena stuff sound really good. I hope this delivers.

But while i always watched subs in the past, i nowadays prefer dubs for animated stuff (still never watch dubbed live action stuff though).
So i'm not sure if i should watch it now or wait (a long ass time) for the dubs...
Going off Amaim which was a new sunrise effort crunchy picked up I'd expect the dub to start around the end of the first cour probably episode 11

It not being on the fall list of dub announced titles means the odds of a dub in the first 6 is low. But Gundam is big franchise wise so it falls in the could still happen in this season list

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Going off Amaim which was a new sunrise effort crunchy picked up I'd expect the dub to start around the end of the first cour probably episode 11

Hm yeah would make sense, at that time they probably have all episodes (of the first part) ready so that they can dub the the whole season in one go. Otherwise it would probably be way to expensive. But this would be a long wait....

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My daughter and I watched the first episode this morning. Aside from watching the prologue and knowing her dad loves Gundam (which means she's been to the statue in Odaiba and played Maxi Boost with me), this is her first exposure to the property and she's really digging it. Such a different setup for a Gundam series but it's fun.

I'm calling it now. The mom is gonna be the villain. Maybe even masked.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm yeah would make sense, at that time they probably have all episodes (of the first part) ready so that they can dub the the whole season in one go. Otherwise it would probably be way to expensive. But this would be a long wait....
Eh it's crunchy they do tons of shows weekly in season, there's about a dozen confirmed for this season that'll start within the first 4-5 episodes usually if not by episode 3 which is the norm if it's not a headline. Newcomers I'm the villainess so I'll tame the final boss and Beast Tamer are already confirmed for dubs.
Gundam is probably the biggest franchise this season without a confirmed dub from them yet actually. Might have just been a late pickup

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah some dark implications for where things will go. Suletta's mom is definitely out for blood and planning to take advantage of the situation. Wouldn't be surprised if she initiates some sort of corporate civil war. Tho I don't expect that to come into play till the second cour.

The Aerial is sentient twist is definitely a huge one. Also begs the question of when it was built, does it actually predate Ilfrit? Is the latter actually the production prototype rather than the full one
I dunno if it was from the gunpla manual or something, but we got an answer to the last question in your spoiler
Aerial is just Lfrith renamed and repainted

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Eh it's crunchy they do tons of shows weekly in season, there's about a dozen confirmed for this season that'll start within the first 4-5 episodes usually if not by episode 3 which is the norm if it's not a headline.
Actually, Sunrise handles the international distribution of Gundam shows themselves, including the dubbing. The closest comparison we have would be Build Divers, where I think it took nearly a year before the dub was available.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Woooo that was great. Loving this Revolutionary Girl Gundam vibe. Strong opening especially after the great Prologue, too. Plus it has the thirst trap dudes for my fiancée, so we can finally watch a mecha show with her interest. 🤣

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I dunno if it was from the gunpla manual or something, but we got an answer to the last question in your spoiler
Aerial is just Lfrith renamed and repainted
Ah i thought that might be the case tho it's a retool not just a repaint
Actually, Sunrise handles the international distribution of Gundam shows themselves, including the dubbing. The closest comparison we have would be Build Divers, where I think it took nearly a year before the dub was available.
I forgot about that. So shrug. Tho I'm surprised they didn't do Amaim themselves

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Something interesting that was pointed out on Reddit was that the Prologue was actually edited twice as shown from the initial stream to remove many of the explicit depictions of gore.

y1ushn1z93q91.jpg
43ma6n1z93q91.jpg

jagcnn1z93q91.jpg

If I'm correct in remembering, I believe the Prologue was also shown at public venues in Japan which would explain some of edits.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The Utena comparison actually sets me up for disappointment because there's no way Gundam would ever let themselves be as weird as Utena. Liked the first episode enough to keep going, nothing really else to say.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

The prologue already showed that other mobile suits have a counter that can jam the psycommu/red glow effect, so I am sure they will face that eventually.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the prologue and 1st ep, I am all in. Good stuff and love the soundtrack.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember on the old forum having a good time watching along with Iron Blooded Orphans...at first. Lots of hype moments early on.

Haven't paid much attention but isn't this like Yugioh GX Gundam lol

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this ruled. Loving it so far. The prologue and pleasant surprise that the show was secretly an Utena riff have me blown away, personally.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
REVOLUTIONARY GUNDAM UTENA

this is what I am gonna call it from now on

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Utena comparison actually sets me up for disappointment because there's no way Gundam would ever let themselves be as weird as Utena. Liked the first episode enough to keep going, nothing really else to say.
I kind of feel the same way.

Everyone is hyping the fact this is Gundam Utena up but...it's basically just that as of Episode 1. If you remove the Utena parallels, in fact it's a pretty typical first episode of a Shonen battle series even.

I'm hoping this was just a cheeky thing they did and they're swerve away from Utena soon enough because, like, I can just watch Utena again.