• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of tweets to reference so I'm only posting the links.

This Q&A comes from the 2nd Quarter FY3/2017 for Square Enix.

Credit and thanks to Fukuzaku and Rainrir for verification and translation of the tweets.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928229546029080576

NieR 2 mil, FFXV 6.6 mil, DQXI 3 mil target achieved (and will continue to build on results)

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928230414279311360

"we had a big release (DQ11) in the first half of the FY, and there isn't anything like that in the second half"

"no other news on DQ11 Switch ver."

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928230998566879232

-Unannounced mobile title(s) for 2nd half of FY

New globally-oriented title planned for next term, working hard in prep for next E3

keywords being "sharp (visuals)" "a great deal of power", and "polish"

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928231544061280256

-"The core [hardware] architecture of all 3 main platforms (PS4/XO/SW) has gotten very similar. We can make a base version that we can then make fine adjustments to for ports to PC, Xbox, PS, and Switch."

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928232438479728640

-(regarding the Switch's momentum) "I have heard from retailers and publishers while overseas that it's selling very well. A sense that it's got a strong momentum."

-"Nintendo doing well is something we're very grateful for (as one avenue we can output for)."

-"Switch is in a different, unique position compared to PS4 and Xbox."

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928233019147567104

-"Recently, games have developed two extremes at the high- and low-ends, but with the switch there is a chance for middle-range software to come back into the scene."

-"In this, there are areas we are well-suited to, and possibilities for multiplatform development, and we have high expectations for the Switch. We will put in the investment and develop for the platform."

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/928233647458496512

-"We will have all options on the table for what IP to use in titles we develop for Switch, including new, existing, and revival properties."

more literally: (Regarding software to be developed for Switch) We will not rule out any IPs to use, whether they be new, existing, or revived properties.

Edit: Mochizuki translated his own tweets.

Links to the posts here:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/684367/

https://www.resetera.com/posts/684379/

https://www.resetera.com/posts/684400/

https://www.resetera.com/posts/684415/

Last edited:

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
They are not referring to the technical differences when they say ""Switch is in a different, unique position compared to PS4 and Xbox" as they stated before it shares the same core arch'. So it's the hybrid nature of the thing I suppose.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, wasn't "middle range" essentially an extension of their 3DS efforts?
Nice that they seem to be planning to expand their usual multi-platform slate to include Switch.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong E3 makes me think that they will have their own conference. The last one was in 2015. I guess the main focus will be KH3 and The Avengers.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
lol Mochizuki ended up translating his tweets. I will add them here.

Warning I can only do two media tweets at a time.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Square being a big supporter of Nintendo handhelds isnmt new, but with a hybrid they can double their output (and profit).

This sounds great, hope they go all the way in.

Still, that wording doesn't sound well for DQXI SW :(

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
There are pretty much all in with Dragon Quest on Switch (DQ X, DQ XI, DQB, DQBII, DQH1&2). Their next 2 big IPs are Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. I cannot wait to see what they got for the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
FFXV 6.6 mil
My god what a failure

How is 6,6 M a failure?, I think the game will game some legs with the new content released and there's the PC version coming too. And if they are able to port it to Switch I think it will also sell well there. It has not been a huge sucess, sure, but I think that naming it a failure it's too negative.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How is 6,6 M a failure?, I think the game will game some legs with the new content released and there's the PC version coming too. And if they are able to port it to Switch I think it will also sell well there. It has not been a huge sucess, sure, but I think that naming it a failure it's too negative.
I was being sarcastic people in f15 threads call it a failure it sold very well

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
FFXV wasn't the best in the series, but i'm happy about the sales, because i want to see more FF Games in the future. :)

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I bet a bunch of third-parties are going to come out of the woodwork at next year's TGS. Going to be exciting for Switch fans.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Matsuda can force Hideo Baba to support a non-Sony platform...

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I hope the existence of the switch means they can base more midtier games on switch and then bring them to PS4 PC more often instead of banking on a lower userbase with just PS4 and PC. the technological aspect of 3DS meant that they had to cleanly seperate the games between platforms, but now aiming for multiplatform in certain cases is not out of the realm of possibility if they can start game development with an eye on the limits of the switch

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Matsuda can force Hideo Baba to support a non-Sony platform...

I don't think there is any connection between Hideo Baba and Playstation, so i am not sure what you are talking about. Baba actually brought some Tales game on Nintendo systems but stopped when it was clear that the fanbase wasn't there. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
-"Recently, games have developed two extremes at the high- and low-ends, but with the switch there is a chance for middle-range software to come back into the scene."
I'm really liking this quote.
It's been too long since major publishers abandoned this market segment.
Hopefully we can see higher number of output with these mid budget titles.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Square seems to push harder on Switch which is awesome.

Really curious on what games they'll bring next year.

Sir Mervyn

Nov 7, 2017
I also feel DQ XI sales are pretty low, considering this time it was multiplatform (and many people have bought both versions).

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is any connection between Hideo Baba and Playstation, so i am not sure what you are talking about. Baba actually brought some Tales game on Nintendo systems but stopped when it was clear that the fanbase wasn't there. Nothing more, nothing less.
Not sure how involved was he in TOS:DOTNW, a known lower budget spinoff that sold pretty well but TOG was known to be buggy and killed whatever potential sales it can have.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Abyss 3DS overperformed though. Over 370k sold through globally for an old port.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Bravely Third please ! I need more Ringabel in my life.

Same, really hoping Bravely will come back after Octopath.

I hope the existence of the switch means they can base more midtier games on switch and then bring them to PS4 PC more often instead of banking on a lower userbase with just PS4 and PC. the technological aspect of 3DS meant that they had to cleanly seperate the games between platforms, but now aiming for multiplatform in certain cases is not out of the realm of possibility if they can start game development with an eye on the limits of the switch

I think it'll be more comparable to the Vita or 3ds where some of those games won't leave the switch nor japan.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how involved was he in TOS:DOTNW, a known lower budget spinoff that sold pretty well but TOG was known to be buggy and killed whatever potential sales it can have.

Tales is a frontloaded franchise, especially in Japan and the pre-orders of the game were not good, meaning there was a low interest for the game from Wii owners. The state of game only made things worse. The DS games also didn't set the charts on fire (among the worst selling mainline Tales actually) despite being released on the best selling system ever in Japan.

Oct 27, 2017
Strong sales all-in-all, with Nier being more successful than expected and FFXV still to have a PC version and with new additional content confirmed throughout 2018. Plus, with few JRPGs on Switch at the moment, Octopath should meet expectations. I expect that much of the middle-range output will be handheld series moving over to Switch (like Bravely Default or on an outside chance an FFV remake in the style of FFIII and IV).

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
There are pretty much all in with Dragon Quest on Switch (DQ X, DQ XI, DQB, DQBII, DQH1&2). Their next 2 big IPs are Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. I cannot wait to see what they got for the Switch.

They're all in on DQ on Switch in Japan, but I'd like to see a bit more movement for the franchise in the West.

As for FF, a switch port of World of Final Fantasy seems like it would be high on their list of moderate effort ports.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Strong sales all-in-all, with Nier being more successful than expected and FFXV still to have a PC version and with new additional content confirmed throughout 2018. Plus, with few JRPGs on Switch at the moment, Octopath should meet expectations. I expect that much of the middle-range output will be handheld series moving over to Switch (like Bravely Default or on an outside chance an FFV remake in the style of FFIII and IV).
FF5 and FF6 remake with the HD2D style used in Octopath would be nice.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Tales is a frontloaded franchise, especially in Japan and the pre-orders of the game were not good, meaning there was a low interest for the game from Wii owners. The state of game only made things worse. The DS games also didn't set the charts on fire (among the worst selling mainline Tales actually) despite being released on the best selling system ever in Japan.
Starting with TOTT does not help lol. TOI and TOH were really good though , especially TOH. The PSP and VIta ports did not fare better too. TBH the only portable game that sold well is TOTA on 3DS with international audience's help. Baba should have localized the games.