• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Keikaku
A modder has extracted a map of Bloodborne's Upper Cathedral Ward from Dark Souls Remastered and opened it within Grand Theft Auto V. Now you can drive a car in it.
It's hard to decide what's weirder here. Why is a level that appears in a game from 2015 sitting inside a 2018 remaster of a game originally released in 2011?

And, even more, how the hell is Trevor from Grand Theft Auto V walking around inside of that map? Over direct message, Dropoff, the modder who accomplished the feat, answered several of my questions about how he made the video.

The level data is its own distinct level file in the data of Dark Souls Remastered, labelled as a seemingly anonymous "m99_99_98_00." The level files that begin with "m99" are often test files within Souls games, and so these were the ones that Dropoff checked first for interesting leftover test content in Remastered.

The level architecture of the extracted map are a little different from the actual released version of the area in Bloodborne. While the approach, gate, and bridge are all the same, the area outside of the building found in Bloodborne is missing from this test version despite the building's interior being roughly the same (here's a video of the final release for comparison).
But what about Trevor and his car? Dropoff explained to me that he extracted the level file from Remastered and imported it into "3D software" that then allowed him to repackage and open it with Grand Theft Auto V.

Call vaati

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
The game's been out for like 4 days

I haven't even beat the gargoyles yet and this guy's already finding weird shit...

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to believe these mean something, but I bet the real reason they're included is a lot more mundane.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good to see they have a common development platform, it saves time and makes it more likely to get a bloodborne on something else than PS4 one day :)

It's very funny that GTAV is becoming the easiest way to preview 3D assets though xD

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So basically cathedral ward was a level they started designing to be part of the original dark souls. Then they scrapped it for whatever reason only to resurrect it for Bloodborne?

But what's really strange is the fact that Demons Souls levels are in the dark souls files...

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically cathedral ward was a level they started designing to be part of the original dark souls. Then they scrapped it for whatever reason only to resurrect it for Bloodborne?

But what's really strange is the fact that Demons Souls levels are in the dark souls files...
na I bet they just imported it for the assets in the new version and never bothered to delete the skeleton left over

Boletaria is interesting tho. I bet they originally pitched Demon's but got declined and ended up doing Dark instead, hence it being there as it was the first thing they made.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to believe these mean something, but I bet the real reason they're included is a lot more mundane.
Well on one hand that's probably true on the other, why would boletaria, an asset from a game that released prior to dark souls be present in the remaster and not in the original dark souls release?

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
No it's probably just design files that got left in. Maybe someone in game dev could explain why this would happen but it's not that rare.

Wasn't there a Gears of War gun model inside Demon's Souls or something or am I making this up...

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
giphy.gif

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ooow... yeah that's more like that, you are most probably right :( darn... you're sharper than me today, i've not had my coffee yet.
To be sure, the same should be done on original DS packages to see if it's still there.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Fromsoft was thinking about Bloodborne during the creation of Dark Souls. Isn't it more likely that they simply couldn't add that location to Dark Souls and repurposed it later for Bloodborne.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
and the computer they ran it on was made in Minecraft, running off a calculator, simulated in the cloud

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
na I bet they just imported it for the assets in the new version and never bothered to delete the skeleton left over

Boletaria is interesting tho. I bet they originally pitched Demon's but got declined and ended up doing Dark instead, hence it being there as it was the first thing they made.

Are any of the assets in the remaster from Bloodborne though? I've not played the remaster yet so haven't managed to take a look first hand yet.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably there because the remaster is made with the same tools they used to make Bloodborne

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are any of the assets in the remaster from Bloodborne though? I've not played the remaster yet so haven't managed to take a look first hand yet.
Oh I have no idea I haven't played it either, it just wouldn't shock me if that was the reason. Usually when stuff like this happens it's usually for reasons like that lol

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Fromsoft was thinking about Bloodborne during the creation of Dark Souls. Isn't it more likely that they simply couldn't add that location to Dark Souls and repurposed it later for Bloodborne.
According to wikipedia, FromSoft started development of Bloodborne while they were making the Prepare to Die edition of Dark Souls.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

It's probably there because the remaster is made with the same tools they used to make Bloodborne

Lance said the file creation comes from OG DS1. QLOC forgot to delete all the original test maps in the remaster.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I have no idea I haven't played it either, it just wouldn't shock me if that was the reason. Usually when stuff like this happens it's usually for reasons like that lol

The tweet in the OP says the files were originally created a long time ago when Dark Souls was in development.

The remastered team most likely got sent all the source code files from the original game, including all of the unfinished assets.

Considering there's a Demons Souls level in there as well its more likely the original dark souls team used the Demons Souls level as a testbed rather than the cathedral ward level being used as a test for the remaster.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
That's pretty odd, and I assume because FROM is a Japanese company, we're never going to get a neat explanation for this kind of thing.

Also taking the level and opening it in GTAV is really hilarious.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne started development while AotA was being worked on. Development likely started out using the base DS engine and was built upon and later the project moved to PS4.

What's cool is that there was originally an elevator shaft that connected the Lumenflower Gardens to the base of the Cathedral. If you've watched Lance Mcdonald do some Bloodborne hacking, you can see this rough layout when the area is loaded in a lower LOD.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tweet in the OP says the files were originally created a long time ago when Dark Souls was in development.

The remastered team most likely got sent all the source code files from the original game, including all of the unfinished assets.

Considering there's a Demons Souls level in there as well its more likely the original dark souls team used the Demons Souls level as a testbed rather than the cathedral ward level being used as a test for the remaster.
Embedded tweets only work for me half the time when I'm on mobile for whatever reason, I didn't even see it lol

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i just want to drive cars through other games' landscapes now

Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
Yeah, development of games can be a messy thing. Especially if a franchise uses the same engine for a long time. All sorts of content from the old games and maybe upcoming games is used for testing.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Lol wouldn't read too much into this. Bolataria was more than likely an asset they brought to Dark souls to test out a few things since they had the thing made already. Cathedral ward is interesting but I'm guessing it's just a remenant of when they were prototyping Bloodborne.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Cathedral Ward is outstanding level design. Pretty crazy if they were sitting on it since Dark Souls 1.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This is really fucking weird. After reading the writeup in the OP, I wonder if this was simply a level that was designed for Dark Souls and didn't make it into the game, and was repurposed for one of their later games (Bloodborne,) rather than a level that was taken from a later title (Bb.)

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Dark Souls 3, but that's pretty much the same thing.

Cathedral Ward is outstanding level design. Pretty crazy if they were sitting on it since Dark Souls 1.
Miyazaki and the team went straight from the Dark Souls DLC to Bloodborne.

From has a habit of carrying forward older content.