• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy looking at these untextured landscape shots and being able to super vividly recall the exact areas in detail. Can probably close my eyes and remember a lot of these zones room by room...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Huh

I wonder, is this in the original Dark Souls release?

It's not, but only because From deleted it. All the test maps that From usind during development of Dark Souls and were deleted in the OG release are in the remaster too.

This is really fucking weird. After reading the writeup in the OP, I wonder if this was simply a level that was designed for Dark Souls and didn't make it into the game, and was repurposed for one of their later games (Bloodborne,) rather than a level that was taken from a later title (Bb.)

It's probably the former, yeah.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
What would be deeper. Inside the prototype Bloodborne map is a King's Field enemy?
bloodborne level found in dark souls remastered modded in a GTAV running on a JAMMA arcade board and flashed on a ROM and currently distributed by Midway Entertainment on a arcade near you.

Playable in MAME

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why would bloodborne stuff be in dark souls? i don't make games so i guess i'm missing something here. is it engine related?

kinda cool any way. maybe we'll get Bloodborne remastered one day. would love to play it at 4K 60fps.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hm…Oh, let me guess…
Snatched by a shadowy limb, and dragged off to the past?
Yes, of course. Exactly what happened to me.
We are both strangers in this strange land.
But, at least now there are two of us."

latest

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
why would bloodborne stuff be in dark souls? i don't make games so i guess i'm missing something here. is it engine related?

kinda cool any way. maybe we'll get Bloodborne remastered one day. would love to play it at 4K 60fps.

Map was probably done for Dark Souls, got scrapped, and later ported and repurposed for Bloodborne.

SusumuStreet

Jan 2, 2018
Given that the same team went from Dark Souls + DLC straight to Bloodborne and that they share enough architectural similarities, it makes total sense that it was an idea for a level that they ended up putting on the backburner and using later for Bloodborne.

The Demon's Souls level was probably a left over from the very beginning of Dark Souls development - just something for the gameplay design and programming team to use as a test level for new mechanics, AI, enemies, etc. instead of a generic graybox until their level designers had created new stuff.

Super cool find, though. Love seeing this stuff and seeing Trevor run around test levels from Bloodborne was funny.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Miyazaki and the team went straight from the Dark Souls DLC to Bloodborne.

From has a habit of carrying forward older content.

True, but it's easily better (and more complex) than a lot of the content in Dark Souls 1. If I had to guess, I'd say it was at the tail end of development while they were working on Arotrias DLC (and it was causing tech headaches or taking too long).

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next step is someone making a Dark Souls total conversion mod for GTA V, where you explore the same locations and encounter the very same enemies, but you use GTA V's gun mechanics to maul the enemies.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
The next step is someone making a Dark Souls total conversion mod for GTA V, where you explore the same locations and encounter the very same enemies, but you use GTA V's gun mechanics to maul the enemies.

So Dark Souls..with guns?

Anyway how does something not present in the original PTDE release make it to Remaster?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It might not have been planned for Bloodborne, could have just been planned content for Dark Souls, Dark Souls had a ton of cut content after all.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The nuts and bolts are interesting for sure.

But particularly in a series that prides itself on a mysterious atmosphere and deep immersion, seeing the flat assets used in other contexts does take away from the magic a bit.

SusumuStreet

Jan 2, 2018
No one said anything about Nintendo so I don't know who you're talking to.

Oh you're right, it may have been on Reddit or another comment section I saw a few people crossing their fingers for a Demon's Souls Switch port because of these old dev models and now that we have the Dark remaster. That's certainly not happening but I am hoping we'll get a Demon's Souls PS4 remaster at some point.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is really fucking weird. After reading the writeup in the OP, I wonder if this was simply a level that was designed for Dark Souls and didn't make it into the game, and was repurposed for one of their later games (Bloodborne,) rather than a level that was taken from a later title (Bb.)

That was exactly my thought. The cathedral wouldn't look out of place in Dark Souls, especially since it already has a smaller church (the undead parish).

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
WAIT WHAT???

I know Bloodborne was always a plan for Miyazaki but I didn't know it was that early, anyway to know if the file is pre DLC or post DLC?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway how does something not present in the original PTDE release make it to Remaster?
It could be that QLOC was given all of the files that From had for Dark Souls, including test maps that were deleted in the final version of the original game. Just this time, they didn't delete them in the final version of the remaster.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Lance said the file creation comes from OG DS1. QLOC forgot to delete all the original test maps in the remaster.

I'd hardly call it "forget".

The remaster seems like they touched as little as possible. You don't go deleting stuff in the original code if its not hurting anything unless you wanna fuck stuff up. If anything, it speaks to how little the original game code was changed for this remaster.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'd hardly call it "forget".

The remaster seems like they touched as little as possible. You don't go deleting stuff in the original code if its not hurting anything unless you wanna fuck stuff up. If anything, it speaks to how little the original game code was changed for this remaster.

Well Lance and Zullie said the test maps aren't in the OG release even though their creation comes from that.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Semi related

That swampland of bosses at 2:13 owns. Whole thing reminds me of FF7's debug rooms.