• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
A user named LordVulkan over on the Beyond3D forums has added RTX Remix files from the recent Portal RTX release into SWAT 4. Early days but it is likely to be modded into other DX8 titles, with a possibility for some DX9 titles.
Edit: Other titles have had it implemented with various results.

Source: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/rtx-remix.62991/post-2278976

Swat 4:

5z4ElCn.png

2ARkvJT.jpeg

e4jaTtj.png

desktopscreenshot2022cbi3e.png
swat3sdc2.png

Max Payne:

(Before and After)
Fjuhb3EXkAIsLyo
FjuhcICXwAIDR4x

FjuRU0lXEAA1g_2

Last edited:

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I want Half-Life 2 with this... should probably be the "easiest" port since it's debuted with Portal?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck yeah, this is so exciting.

I'm sure we'll get examples where these ultimately suck and ruin the original art style (I've certainly seen some critics of Portal RTX) but I am all in and here for this ride.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I tried getting it to work with Swat 4 but wasn't successful. If anyone got it working I'd love to know what version you're using.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
I want Half-Life 2 with this... should probably be the "easiest" port since it's debuted with Portal?
Not really, same engine, yes. But not nearly enough assets are shared (which is important, for RTX to truly work, you need them to have the right material), and Portal is a much shorter and visually consistent experience.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
A user named LordVulkan over on the Beyond3D forums has added RTX Remix files from the recent Portal RTX release into SWAT 4. Early days but it is likely to be modded into other DX7-8 titles, with a possibility for DX9 conversion.

Screenshots of SWAT 4 with almost untweaked RTX Remix files.

5z4ElCn.png

2ARkvJT.jpeg

e4jaTtj.png

Source: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/rtx-remix.62991/post-2278976
It'll be notable once they start working on which surfacess should be reflective. Currently everything in there has RT reflections. Not much different from Marty Mcfly's RT injector.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
As a super fan of SWAT 4.... that looks incredible. Obviously not perfect (it can't fully understand some materials), but that tutorial mission screenshot (second one) is amazing.

RTX Remix is going to be wonderful.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, same engine, yes. But not nearly enough assets are shared (which is important, for RTX to truly work, you need them to have the right material), and Portal is a much shorter and visually consistent experience.
Makes sense :( ... also shudder to think about performance in open HL2 levels.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
It'll be notable once they start working on which surfacess should be reflective. Currently everything in there has RT reflections. Not much different from Marty Mcfly's RT injector.
It's totally different. It's not just screen-space and actually takes light positioning into account.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It's totally different. It's not just screen-space and actually takes light positioning into account.
I understand that. Just that at this stage it applies to all materials meaning everything is reflective. This wont change much unless people go deep into changing the attributes of the materials with the real tool. Once the real tools hit its going to be interesting seeing a lot of old games come to life because lighting is a MASSIVE changer visually.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Much more different from Marty's RTGI, Marty's doesn't do reflections at all, just bounce lighting with what's in screen space due to limitations with reshade.

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I want Unreal Tournament 2004 remixed like this..

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Hooooly fuck

I can not wait for Morrowind and Deus Ex 1

It'll be so cool to see the full release of RTX Remix. It's incredible looking for a drag and drop, but I bet it's weird in game due to reflections off brick walls and stuff. Needs some tweaking but not much really.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
THIS is why I need to get a 40 series card (unless they got remix to work with older RTX Cards?)

I can go back and just live in the past.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
There's so much potential in this, it's ridiculous. Remakes and re-releases are such cash cows for publishers and there is a lot of demand. Now all they need to do is keep old titles availible and wait for some mod to go viral as their game is lifted into current gen and beyond.

Oct 25, 2017
What do Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Kotor 1 & 2, and Battlefront 1 & 2 run on?
Rocket Jockey, Lego Island and Re-volt RTX would be the dream though, *sigh* :(

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I saw this thread....and have spent my entire day looking up games that might work and dropping files in. I'd have to look into how they got HL2 working, I kept getting super weird bugs where essentially the game world wouldn't load and I'd just see this taupe background with a few black buildings and a couple of Combine. I *almost* got Hitman Blood Money working, I just can't get the RTX Remix menu to show up, certainly was able to make it change reflections though, unfortunately you also lose the ripple texture since it's transparent. I need to play further in the game to get through the tutorial and really see what I can get going.

Vanilla:
RdvtO0.png

"RTX" test
RdvTZq.png

Edit: Oh. I see what they did, they dropped HL2 maps into Portal RTX. That's why it works.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Wait, so how does that work ? You can use it with any game ?
You can try to drop it into any DX9 with a fixed-function (no pixel shaders) pipeline, but from my testing it doesn't work for the vast majority of titles.

I wonder how that Twitter user got Max Payne working. It's a DX8 game and none of the DX8-to-DX9 wrappers I tried seem to work.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I can't seem to find the file path for the .trex folder. Anyone know where it is?

Edit: nvm, dunno how I wasn't finding it.