• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey all, I've been with crappy Comcast for 100 down and 5up, with 1tb data cap for awhile now.

But finally my area has AT&T Fiber available, and looking to upgrade

This is my current router/modem combo

Looking at it, I don't think it will work with AT&T (I would like it to work tho)

If it doesn't, what is recommended to be future proof with a combo that can do 1gig and work with AT&T? Thanks, new to fiber and AT&T, and I've always used a combo

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
AT&T has their own gateway that is required, you can't use your own modem. You can add a router onto it thought. I used a mesh network for mine (Google WiFi).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have ATT fiber and besides the modem crap it's been really solid for two years. Been far more stable then Comcast was for me.

I use their router so I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Ubiquiti Unifi products.

I installed my dads on fibre internet with a Dream Machine Pro and 2 APs, he gets more than his stated speed in any area of the house.

Oct 25, 2017
The modem that came with my ATT fiber 1gig seems pretty good, It's large though. I disabled the wireless networking on it and use Nest Wifi for wireless access.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I have gigapower. I do have mesh wifi, but only because my house is huge. There's weak spots.

If you have a typical sized house, you may be fine with the built in wifi.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If I may ask, when did you know AT&T Fiber was available to you? Like one day it wasn't and then it was? I feel I may be due for it soon and may have the same question as you.

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If I may ask, when did you know AT&T Fiber was available to you? Like one day it wasn't and then it was? I feel I may be due for it soon and may have the same question as you.
I got into my current place about 3 years ago, I remember looking then and when I searched, it said not in my area. So I went with Comcast. Now, I honestly randomly checked today, and says available in my area. So it could have been available since yesterday, or 1 year ago, I'm not sure lol

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I've had AT&T Fiber for about six (?) years now. I've honestly been really pleased.

It's gone down 3-4 times in the more than half decade I've had it. Never more than a day, usually just a few hours. (Knock on wood).

The included modem/router SUCKS. It's awful. You WILL need an additional router if you plan to use Wifi in your house. I personally use a Google WiFi mesh network and its been great.

In a new fiber-neighborhood (I've been in this situation twice), things will start around 1000/down & 1000/up, and its awesome. But as more people sign up, I've found a wired connection typically settles around 700-800 both up and down. Just FYI. Still amazing.

I downloaded and installed CyberPunk 2077 in ~25-30 minutes the other night.

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've had AT&T Fiber for about six (?) years now. I've honestly been really pleased.

It's gone down 3-4 times in the more than half decade I've had it. Never more than a day, usually just a few hours. (Knock on wood).

The included modem/router SUCKS. It's awful. You WILL need an additional router if you plan to use Wifi in your house. I personally use a Google WiFi mesh network and its been great.

In a new fiber-neighborhood (I've been in this situation twice), things will start around 1000/down & 1000/up, and its awesome. But as more people sign up, I've found a wired connection typically settles around 700-800 both up and down. Just FYI. Still amazing.

I downloaded and installed CyberPunk 2077 in ~25-30 minutes the other night.
Good to know, either way, a big win from anything I have right now with comcast

all my consoles today are wired, and they will continue to be with at&t, will wifi on their own modem/router not work simply for my phones, tablet, and like laptod?

i got rid eventually of comcast own modem/router, but it worked fine for wifi

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, either way, a big win from anything I have right now with comcast

all my consoles today are wired, and they will continue to be with at&t, will wifi on their own modem/router not work simply for my phones, tablet, and like laptod?

i got rid eventually of comcast own modem/router, but it worked fine for wifi
Their WiFi will work but it isn't the strongest. At&t sells wifi extenders for $50 if you want to go that route. I personally just like having my own router that I trust.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I've had it for two months, so I can't speak about long-term uptime but so far it's been solid, with speeds holding up as advertised.

While the included gateway has adequate Wi-Fi speeds for a medium space, the AT&T extenders (called AirTies) are rubbish. I'm in the market for a Wi-Fi 6 mesh system to resolve the awful speeds until I can run Ethernet around the house and install good APs.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Stay the fuck away from AT&T

I called to cancel service two months ago when I moved to an area they didn't have Fiber coverage for, and the phone rep told me It Was Done and all I had to do was return the equipment. Which I did.

And then afterwards they still continued to send me bills (Which I'm not fucking paying, made sure to turn off Autopay incase this happened) and are sending me harassing phonecalls around 10AM daily now.