• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Eurofighter Typhoon.

Interestingly, the French Rafael is rather similar. BRB looking for a pick.
Dassault Rafale:
640px-Rafale_-_RIAT_2009_%283751416421%29.jpg
This one would be my pick.
Its sheer versatility is kinda amazing. Didn't really sell well (or at all really) sadly.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the op asked for jet fighters. not weak slow planes.
A modern jet fighter gets shot down should something hits it. They're not any different in this regard.

In any case, the line between fighters and bombers is very blurred. Same tech really, just different scale. The F-117 was a bomber, really. Modern jet fighters like the Strike Eagle can carry as much bombs as WWII-era strategic bombers. A major use for nearly all fighter jets nowadays is ground attack (mostly because symmetric contests of air space don't seem to really happen).
The next generation stealth bomber, B-21 Raider may be able to work as an interceptor (read: fighter) aircraft. It is getting really weird.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite jets were the aforementioned F-14 and Harriers.

I'll add on the A-10. The plane they created so they could fly that gatling gun.

ac10-warthog-header-2-840x420.jpg

GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And A-10 is not a fighter either! Doesn't belong to the thread!

/s

EDIT you're taking the title too literally, woodcutter.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
They thought the F-35 would take the place of the A-10. Doesn't seem like the USAF seems to agree.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Soviets were prepared for the eventuality there'd be stealth planes. They must have been aware of the concept. Hell, the whole stealth business was kinda started by a Soviet researcher who noted how radar can be deflected.

As far as I have ever read, not really, or at least until right before the wall fell. It's not that surprising since it took a couple breakthroughs to make it possible, namely fly-by-wire and actually implementing tools for designing around radar-cross section (theory is cool but software is better), both of which are directly related to computing.

We actually put a ton of effort into making the SR-71 stealthy (at least in terms of radar), but it was practically not significant even though the signature was reduced (it was Cessna-sized, so still pretty obvious). There were also a lot of experiments with drones and U-2s but basically it never worked well enough to justify the effort or performance penalties.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They are all fine but my all time favorite jet is the F14 Tomcat. I miss em.

1200px-US_Navy_051105-F-5480T-005_An_F-14D_Tomcat_conducts_a_mission_over_the_Persian_Gulf-region.jpg
I was obsessed with this plane as a kid in the 90s (thanks to Top Gun). It was like a real Transformer. I had a fighter themed birthday where I got Top Gun on DVD and Jane's Fighter Anthology. I put a surprising amount of hours into that game:
FAscan004.jpg

I saw a Harrier Jump Jet in-person at the EAA Airventure show in Wisconsin a number of years ago and those things are so damn slick. Seeing a jet do a vertical take-off will never not be cool.

I love that they brought back VTOLs with the F35B:

Oct 28, 2017
Vietnam was a guerrilla war really. Very asymmetric. So, yeah, air power doesn't mean they can do well on ground. It is extremely difficult to fight against an opponent that doesn't have things that could be seen as strategic objectives. Attrition doesn't work well against irregulars either.

The Operation Desert Storm is a good example of air superiority. In one case, Iraqi forces were going to attack a place, and the Coalition forces stopped the tank column with air power only. Had Iraqis been able to contest air space, it could've gone differently (though the Coalition would've likely won anyway due to superior ground forces).

The Iraq war was very asymmetric. American A-10s queued up to to shoot what they could down the Basra road. They didn't need fighter cover, Iraq had nothing to counter.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Can I just repost images i posted in the neogaf thread I made about planes :think: Ignore the bomber photos don't bully just enjoy.

HDe1kFV.jpg

ojQjiZl.jpg

aIfoo7d.jpg

35778439774_8e4b9fce32_h.jpg

EfcRvqM.png

DIGpRWQXoAAFN5T.jpg

DFuwhQMXUAAsdg2.jpg

DF0ywskW0AEfnsA.jpg

DFr2fEnXUAAiCE3.jpg

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Iraq war was very asymmetric. American A-10s queued up to to shoot what they could down the Basra road. They didn't need fighter cover, Iraq had nothing to counter.
Well, in practice it was asymmetric. It didn't help the Coalition gained air supremacy within 48 hours or so... but then Iraqi air force wasn't very good.
But i was thinking in that both sides had strategic objectives. Iraq could attack Kuwait and other places (even if they didn't do that particularly well), and the Coalition was attacking Iraqi bases and territory. In Vietnam, VietCong didn't have anything the Americans could really attack, especially since they never really took the war into North Vietnam. Dropping bombs to jungles and villages that sympathize with VietCong isn't terribly useful.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
No one has posted the best plane yet.
th

Based purely on looks I'm happy the F-35 beat it in the Joint Strike Fighter Competition.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They thought the F-35 would take the place of the A-10. Doesn't seem like the USAF seems to agree.
It seems the idea that F-35 taking A-10's place is rooted in the idea of having as few aircraft types in service as possible. It seems that it is a reasonable idea on paper, but in practice (as history has shown) the US Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force have different needs (hence F-35C, B and A, respectively), and specialized roles like close air support need even more specialized planes to be really effective. CAS requires loiter time, sufficiently low speed for maneuverability and accuracy, and some kind of armoring because AA fire is inevitable. F-35 cannot really fulfill any of these. And it is expensive and maintenance intensive enough it might not be available for CAS duties.
I wonder if the US will wizen up eventually and just design a proper follow-up for A-10. Or perhaps cheap, sacrificable drones will replace the role?
As far as I have ever read, not really, or at least until right before the wall fell. It's not that surprising since it took a couple breakthroughs to make it possible, namely fly-by-wire and actually implementing tools for designing around radar-cross section (theory is cool but software is better), both of which are directly related to computing.

We actually put a ton of effort into making the SR-71 stealthy (at least in terms of radar), but it was practically not significant even though the signature was reduced (it was Cessna-sized, so still pretty obvious). There were also a lot of experiments with drones and U-2s but basically it never worked well enough to justify the effort or performance penalties.
I guess USSR lagging behind in tech really hurt their aircraft design. It is funny really. There are stuff where the USSR, and Russia now, seem to be better at (reactive armor, anti-projectile systems for tanks), but anything being highly reliant on computers and/or networking and they're only now catching up.

As for SR-71, it seems it is never really classed as a stealth plane, even if it did use some principles. In any case, i reckon constant afterburners aren't exactly stealth-friendly. Radar-stealth is not terribly useful if you're shining in infrared...

Oct 28, 2017
Well, in practice it was asymmetric. It didn't help the Coalition gained air supremacy within 48 hours or so... but then Iraqi air force wasn't very good.
But i was thinking in that both sides had strategic objectives. Iraq could attack Kuwait and other places (even if they didn't do that particularly well), and the Coalition was attacking Iraqi bases and territory. In Vietnam, VietCong didn't have anything the Americans could really attack, especially since they never really took the war into North Vietnam. Dropping bombs to jungles and villages that sympathize with VietCong isn't terribly useful.

I've found myself arguing with you even though I think we share similar sentiments, and I apologise for that.

My initial post was just exasperation about governments paying private contractors massive amounts for unproven military technology.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've found myself arguing with you even though I think we share similar sentiments, and I apologise for that.

My initial post was just exasperation about governments paying private contractors massive amounts for unproven military technology.
Nothing to apologize for.

The US is certainly crazy with its military industrial complex. But perhaps this is more of a fault of the leadership than than military-industrial complex itself.
Reading what McNamara did... man. Like, he saw the war in terms of numbers: if X amount of bombs is dropped, it should cause Y effect. No, it doesn't work like that.
And some of the aircraft programs! Like the F-111. The US Navy and Air Force need new planes. McNamara asks if they can use one plane for both. The Navy and Air Force say no. New plane is ordered, different proposals are studied, another design was recommended, McNamara orders F-111 because he thinks the Navy and Air Force can share it better, and the end result is that F-111B never goes past prototype because it is completely unsuitable for naval use. And then the Navy designs F-14 because of this. Thus, a lot of money wasted and both branches got their own planes anyway, because a bureaucrat thought money could be saved by ignoring reality.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
This thread gives me a good reason to post this.

sorry about the first song, it gets real good around 3:40

those nightime cat launches are incredible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
those nightime cat launches are incredible.
Scrolling down to up, it took me a moment to process this. Without context, i read it quite literally at first.

And this reminded me on an "experiment" i read about on Atomic Rockets site:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/artificialgrav.php#id--Making_Do_Without
Scroll a bit down:
And prior to (the) Mercury (program) we hadn't any real experience at all. We flew transport planes in parabolic courses that might give as much as 30 seconds of almost-zero-g, and that was all we knew. I will not soon forget some of our early low-g experiments. Some genius wanted to know how a cat oriented: visual cues, or a gravity sensor? The obvious way to find out was to take a cat up in an airplane, fly the plane in a parabolic orbit, and observe the cat during the short period of zero-g.

It made sense. Maybe. It didn't make enough that anyone would authorize a large airplane for the experiment, so a camera was mounted in a small fighter (perhaps a T-bird; I forget), and the cat was carried along in the pilot's lap. A movie was made of the whole run.

The film, I fear, doesn't tell us how a cat orients. It shows the pilot frantically trying to tear the cat off his arm, and the cat just as violently resisting. Eventually the cat was broken free and let go in mid-air, where it seemed magically (teleportation? or not really zero gravity in the plane? no one knows) to move, rapidly, straight back to the pilot, claws outstretched. This time there was no tearing it loose at all. The only thing I learned from the film is that cats (or this one anyway) don't like zero gravity, and think human beings are the obvious point of stability to cling to...

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always loved the double delta-canards design, and the J-20 is like the F-22 version of that (on the outside at least)

9nb68fswyzg01.jpg

How is Gripen modern? It's 30 years old. I hope Finland doesn't buy these.

It's a 4.5 gen fighter and regularly competes in bids alongside the Eurofighter, Rafale, Super-hornet, F16, and others. Airframes may get old but the insides are updated more than a Nintendo DS.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
They are all fine but my all time favorite jet is the F14 Tomcat. I miss em.

Still probably the most powerful radar fitted to a fighter.

My favorite jets were the aforementioned F-14 and Harriers.

I'll add on the A-10. The plane they created so they could fly that gatling gun.

ac10-warthog-header-2-840x420.jpg

While I'm not sure this counts as a "modern jet fighter," it's the best sounding one I've heard in person. An example...

Really cool at around the 1:00 mark in the dive

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here ,hear a jet? It's the most awesome and frightening thing I ever heard.
I was on a fishing trip with my dad in the mountains near Colorado Springs. There's an airforce base nearby. At like 6:30am two fighters went SCREAMING over the river canyon. Absolutely insane noise. I could feel the sound in my lungs. Almost fell over where I stood.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I was a huge fighter jet fan growing up. Realistically, unmanned machines are much better these days. Training pilots is incredibly expensive.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I was a huge fighter jet fan growing up. Realistically, unmanned machines are much better these days. Training pilots is incredibly expensive.

Same. I played Falcon 4.0 on the hardest settings. I had to give it up after a three hour mission where a bug in the game killed me on my way back to base. I had learned how to use TACAN to find the tanker and everything. My goddamn wingman, who I told to go back to base, came back and crashed into me! I've never been more angry at a game in my life lmao. I played DCS A-10 and learned all that crap, too. Then I realized shooting tanks is not actually all that fun (I like air combat...I loved Combat Flight Simulator and IL2). DCS F/A-18 looks reaaaaaal good, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the time now.

On the second part, it's absolutely true. Lockheed (or whoever is responsible for the F-16 now) made an F-16 into a drone, more or less, and it could pull 10 Gs no problem - beyond the point where most pilots black out.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone here ,hear a jet? It's the most awesome and frightening thing I ever heard.

Blue Angels came down to Lakeland to perform a year or two back. They flew directly over the neighborhood my sister lives in while we were at the community pool. They were probably not much more than a couple thousand feet above us. Absolutely nothing could be heard over those twin engines roaring about. It was glorious.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention, the tech just isn't there yet, and the laws of physics keeps drone operated fighter jets from being practical, especially when a pilot has to make decisions in literally fractions of a second.

Not sure I'm following here. A computer will always make faster decisions than a human.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I'm following here. A computer will always make faster decisions than a human.
Drone still needs signals either from a satellite or other source.

Those signals still have lag. Maybe not enough to make a difference now considering what drones are used for nowadays but still significant if you want to do anything more.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It seems the idea that F-35 taking A-10's place is rooted in the idea of having as few aircraft types in service as possible. It seems that it is a reasonable idea on paper, but in practice (as history has shown) the US Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force have different needs (hence F-35C, B and A, respectively), and specialized roles like close air support need even more specialized planes to be really effective. CAS requires loiter time, sufficiently low speed for maneuverability and accuracy, and some kind of armoring because AA fire is inevitable. F-35 cannot really fulfill any of these. And it is expensive and maintenance intensive enough it might not be available for CAS duties.
I wonder if the US will wizen up eventually and just design a proper follow-up for A-10. Or perhaps cheap, sacrificable drones will replace the role?

The desire also comes from a near peer enemy having a much harder time smacking F-35s out of the sky than A-10s.

As far as strafing Taliban goes there are much cheaper CAS planes the US could buy for that.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
None of ya'll have posted Flight Highschool, yet? :^)
My favorite has got to be the F-15C. No favorite videos though.

I mean,m other than the old videos about how it can be landed with one wing :^)

Last edited:

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one thing to remember about these older airframes ("what do you mean modern, that jet is 30 years old") is that they are upgraded often. The models in service today have been fitted with radar, countermeasures, weapons systems, etc that are way beyond what was available when these airframes were new. Sure, you can't retrofit stealth onto these planes but to dismiss them as useless and old is silly.

Also, if you guys are really into jets, check out Digital Combat Simulations, that's where it's at for flight sims nowadays.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
one thing to remember about these older airframes ("what do you mean modern, that jet is 30 years old") is that they are often upgraded. The models in service today have been fitted with radar, countermeasures, weapons systems, etc that are way beyond what was available when these airframes were new. Sure, you can't retrofit stealth onto these planes but to dismiss them as useless and old is silly.

Also, if you guys are really into jets, check out Digital Combat Simulations, that's where it's at for flight sims nowadays.
Right, there are what, dozens of different blocks for F-16s? Upgrades over and over and over, that's why it's been exported so well and lasted so long.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

I grew up within a few miles of Hill AFB. Hearing F-16s, F-35s now, is almost a daily occurrence for me. It has become almost white noise at this point.

EDIT: Speaking of which this thread seems to have a lack of F-16s.

FG15-2299_004%20F16%20ConfRm%20v2%202%20F-16s.jpg

Last edited: