• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Jet fighters are awesome, they make me think of some kind of big cat like a tiger or a lion, fast, precise and beautiful. Also, there is no chance in hell I would willingly fly in one, I'd be scared to death..

notsol337

Oct 25, 2017
They restored one of the prototypes and have been housing them in Ohio, you were really lucky to have seen them in the flesh!

The YF-23 was faster and stealthier than the 22 but was more expensive to build. Couple that with defense contracting politics and you ended with the Raptor.

The USAF Museum does have the YF-23 on public display now. It used to be in a hangar on base, and you had to have access to the base to go see the Presidential and Experimental aircraft. I've seen an SR-71 and an XB-70 in person as well, but not in the air.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Real world star wars remake when

DYeWVMRU8AA45rJ.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a Harrier Jump Jet in-person at the EAA Airventure show in Wisconsin a number of years ago and those things are so damn slick. Seeing a jet do a vertical take-off will never not be cool.

Back in 2000 we had one of these shown off at a local mall I was doing security for. When it went to take off the wind it created blew me off my feet lol. Those are awesome jets.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The USAF Museum does have the YF-23 on public display now. It used to be in a hangar on base, and you had to have access to the base to go see the Presidential and Experimental aircraft. I've seen an SR-71 and an XB-70 in person as well, but not in the air.

Yeah definitely in my bucket list, that Museum.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is that the one near Wright Patterson? If so, that's an incredible museum and one that I loved going to the one time I did. The X-70 was a highlight for sure.

notsol337

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the USAF Museum is by Wright-Patterson. I might go over there tomorrow, depending on how other things in the day go. I live 4 miles from the museum, and I haven't been in awhile.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
oh wow. great topic! I saw an f22 fly past my house because of trump. buttttt... my all time favorite.. easily the 15.

The f-15 is also my favorite plane (as well as the sr-71 but I think the f-15 slightly edges it out). When I was growing up I wanted to be in the Air Force solely to fly that plane. Then I was convinced it wouldn't happen (bad eyesight, asthma, and female though I figured things were changing and being female was get aroundable. But I couldn't argue that asthma and bad eyesight were not valid reasons to disqualify me Also, I'm prolly too short). My interest in joining the Air Force went to 0.

Too bad no one convinced me it would still be cool to be a mechanic to one. I love being around them anytime they are at an air show. Most beautiful plane ever, imho. And they have managed to stay relevant for a very long time. I think they may make a run for it for being in commission longer than the F-4. Great planes.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the USAF Museum is by Wright-Patterson. I might go over there tomorrow, depending on how other things in the day go. I live 4 miles from the museum, and I haven't been in awhile.
I've only been once (probably about 20 years ago) and absolutely loved it. If only it was not over 1000 miles away I would go again for sure.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
So jealous of you. 15s are there best, and they can shit on the the 22s

I don't know if it could shit on the f-22s but then again the f-22 better be able to beat the f-15 as it is much newer and was designed specifically to replace them. No shame in losing to newer tech and I'll give the f22 is pretty damned impressive.

The f-15 is still my favorite plane by far though. Totally in love with that plane.

Oh yeah, and I'm jealous of the poster you replied to as well.

Last edited:

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Despite its problems, I love the F-35, especially the VTOL version. Worth the trillion dollars that the program costs? Probably not. But such an amazing piece of engineering regardless.

https://warisboring.com/f-d-how-the...ot-stuck-with-the-world-s-worst-new-warplane/

This article really hammers in what a crappy fighter jet the F35 is though. Yeah the F35B STOVL version is a feat of engineering, but it completely compromised the rest of the fighter jet design. Slower, heavier, and with only one engine and shorter wingspans etc. Even worse is that the USMC has so much pull they conned the government into changing so much of the fighter jet despite only having 18% of the order requirements whereas the Navy and Air Force are stuck with a clunker. In an ideal scenario it would be crazy to have the F35B's be armed and take off of amphibious ships and carriers and start bombing within minutes but I don't know. China's copy/counterfeit version the J-31 seems to leave the compromised F35B variant behind and keeps the stealth and look of the jet but makes it twin engine etc.

What's worse is that to save money on this boondoggle they have started grounding and ending the service life of other jets before they're replaced by these as well. Ultimately it will come down to the numbers and the fact only Russia and China will really have variants that could pose a risk.

Fanatic

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
How is Gripen modern? It's 30 years old. I hope Finland doesn't buy these.
As long as the planes themselves are equipped with the latest hardware and software it doesn't make that much of a difference.
Cost is a huge factor here and unless you think you're going to be dog fighting the invading Russians, it doesn't make sense to spend outrageous amounts of money on space age fighter planes, that never gets used for their designed purpose.

Think about this for a second, lets go to the ground for a moment. The AR-15 was designed in 1956, variants or pretty much the exact same gun with minor modifications are being adopted by modern armies world wide and it's by many considered to be the best firearm ever made for the individual soldier.

New doesn't always equate to better. Especially when you start considering cost which is unavoidable.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I grew up within a few miles of Hill AFB. Hearing F-16s, F-35s now, is almost a daily occurrence for me. It has become almost white noise at this point.

EDIT: Speaking of which this thread seems to have a lack of F-16s.

FG15-2299_004%20F16%20ConfRm%20v2%202%20F-16s.jpg

I have not paid attention to f-16s in a long time even though they used to be my favorite plane behind the f-15 and sr-71 (now that's replaced by the f-18). But what is that thing added on to each side of them? Fuel packs designed to be aerodynamic? From a cosmetic POV they ruin the lines :/.

Actually I also don't remember the tail having that thing at the base (the thicker part). What is that?

Sadly the f-16 is starting to take the place of the f-4 in being turned into a drone to make a disposable target for practice. I dunno if the fate of the f16 and f4 is worse than the fate of the f-14 which was all just dismantled and put in a junkyard. They're getting blown up and all but at least they're not rotting away in a junkyard.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I have not paid attention to f-16s in a long time even though they used to be my favorite plane behind the f-15 and sr-71 (now that's replaced by the f-18). But what is that thing added on to each side of them? Fuel packs designed to be aerodynamic? From a cosmetic POV they ruin the lines :/.

Actually I also don't remember the tail having that thing at the base (the thicker part). What is that?

No idea actually. I just googled F-16 and grabbed one of the first pics. I didn't notice that the ones in the pic where different until a while after I posted it and was too lazy to change it. I agree that whatever those modifications are though they ruin the normal look of the F-16.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sadly the f-16 is starting to take the place of the f-4 in being turned into a drone to make a disposable target for practice. I dunno if the fate of the f16 and f4 is worse than the fate of the f-14 which was all just dismantled and put in a junkyard. They're getting blown up and all but at least they're not rotting away in a junkyard.

the things on the strakes are conformal wing tanks. the thing under the vert is extra electronic shit to increase capability or a parachute. looks like a block 52 but ive never seen one up close.

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Played a lot of Falcon 4.0 many years ago, even had a Cougar to play with. So much fun.

Growing up in the UK it was the Tornado I wanted to be flying. Skimming heads at crazy speeds.

SR-71 will always be the beauty though.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I came across this video of the cockpit view from a U2 Spy Plane, pretty freakin' cool.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I wanted to be a fighter pilot so bad growing up.
Yeah, that was my dream until my eyesight started going to shit in middle school.

It was probably for the best as the military life was NOT for me anyway.
I was in JROTC for a year and scored incredibly high, but I really hated almost everything about it and quit, much to the chagrin of our instructor.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I have worked on designing parts of the modern Gripen for several years. Ask me anything! I can't answer of course due to non disclosure agreements but you can ask xD

Fighter jets are really cool and of course Gripen is a favorite of mine. It is really so versatile. And for the price it is the best I think.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It's crazy how many dials and gauges and digital displays there are. Tom Hardy just needed some chalk and some blank space to win Dunkirk.

Oct 27, 2017
Used to knock about with an RAF Pilot back in the day, who flew all sorts of stuff - was a Eurofighter test pilot IIRC among other things.

I believe he flies in the States now, and only the other day on their Facebook was flying a Spitfire AND a Mustang in the same day.

Cool Dude too, very chill.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Ace topic!

I'm fortunate enough to have the RAF's second, northern QRA (Quick Reaction Alert - intercepting any aircraft intruding on UK airspace, uncommunicative airliners etc.) station within an hour's drive of me. Until last year, it was home to the RAF's Tornado training squadron, XV(R), but they stood down around this time last year as the Tornado approaches the its out of service date (OSD) so it's now solely Typhoon action, with the odd other visitor. Love the Tornado, and while I haven't had the chance to visit the Mach Loop to see it in proper low-level action, there was still plenty of opportunity for getting some great shots of it at Lossiemouth.

Arriving back at Lossiemouth at sunset:

DSC_7300 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Splashing through the rainwater:

DSC_3865 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Head-on taxi:

DSC_4371 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Night sortie:

DSC_4780 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Hot-shot and away:

DSC_4783 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Buzzing the Lossiemouth tower following XV(R) squadron's final sortie:

DSC_5766 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Wings swept, banking hard during a mock airfield attack for the disbandment of XV(R):

DSC_7228 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

'Burners lit and about to launch:

DSC_4330 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
...and a few visitors to Lossie, and the resident Typhoons:

A C-130H special tail from the Portugese Air Force's 501 Squadron:

DSC_3421 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Visiting F-16 banking hard and low on take-off:

DSC_5075 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Twin-stick Typhoon (my favourite) returning to base:

DSC_3877 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Swedish Air Force Historic Flight Draken and Saab 105 visit Lossie for a fuel stop:

SK 35C Draken SE-DXP by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

SK 60 Saab 105 SE-DXG by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Thumbs-up from a visiting pilot with Filo 181 of the Turkish Air Force:

DSC_7331 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Typhoon sunset:

DSC_7338 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a nice pic of a RECCE Tornado from my former unit with a special paint job:
ag51_ph-1.jpg.226408060srw.jpg

Immelmann? Stunning scheme - the RAF schemes have been awful for ages (grey, only the occasional special tail etc.) so it's nice to see something like that. There was a stunning Italian display Tornado at RIAT last year, but I didn't get down to see it.

They're lovely aircraft, and seeing a Tornado four-ship lined up and at full power straining at the leash to take off is a hell of a memory. Earth-shaking stuff that you can feel in the pit of your stomach :-)

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember always wanting to be a jet pilot growing up...

..then finally coming to grips that i wasn't going to grow any taller than 5'6" made me :(

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Gosh, this thread brings me back to my childhood.
There was a giant book of Jets and Military planes that I absolutely adored in our local library. You couldn't borrow it, but I spent many, many, many days pouring over it's pages. At one time, I could name every single attack fighter in active US service.
Also spent an ungodly amount of time playing NovaLogic's F-22 Lightning II flight simulator.
Good times. Cheers OP.

Oct 29, 2017
This thread needs more naval aviation.
Less slim sleek land based jets with brittle fragile landing gears and small wheels
More weathered bulky naval jets with thicc landing gears and meaty wheels

597b38821416ec92841bff9f51d1f571.jpg

The new growlers look beast

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Recently rewatched Top Gun, all of the fighter/dogfighting sequences hold beautifully. Amazing machines indeed.

tumblr_oxfw35kCdB1rhtbpbo1_500.gif