• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for sharing, will watch right away.

Edit: Yeah, I've had problems with this too. Playing Minecraft split screen offline was a hassle the other day because I wasn't online all the time.

Last edited:

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Awesome vid, DRM is one of those things that I don't mind as I don't see any situation that I wouldn't be connected to xbox live but I do see why other users care about it so much. I do sometimes get messages basically saying "hey do you own this" with games that I own.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to realize that Xbox smart delivery game disc only come with the Xbox One version on it. Basically they are like buying the PS4 versions that come with free upgrades. Still, at the very least, the Xbox One version of the game should be playable if you install it without internet.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't makes sense. That's not DRM. The Xbox needs to download specific files for BC games. Native Series X games don't have any DRM beyond what's expected elsewhere.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't setup the console without an account or internet, all xbox one and BC games require internet to install. It's basically a PC but I understand majority of the people who get it will have internet at home. Just means in like 20 years or whatever if the servers are down it will be completely useless.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to realize that Xbox smart delivery game disc only come with the Xbox One version on it. Basically they are like buying the PS4 versions that come with free upgrades. Still, at the very least, the Xbox One version of the game should be playable if you install it without internet.

Yep, learned this via the ME Legendary. Despite there being an 'installation' disc, I still had to download both ME2/3.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't makes sense. That's not DRM. The Xbox needs to download specific files for BC games. Native Series X games don't have any DRM beyond what's expected elsewhere.
That's not actually true for BC Xbox One games. Those games run natively through BC and should not require any additional download to run. Unlike Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games which pull 0 data from the disc.

Basically, if Sony can make it so you can install and play a PS4 game from disc on PS5, Microsoft should be able to do it for Xbox One games.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That isn't DRM, the console needs the profiles to make any BC game work.
I believe these are downloaded / refreshed every 25 minutes or when requested.

I guess a good solution would be if you could manually apply these via USB or an offline installer, a little like how 360 did it.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
If the 'home console' fix doesn't completely allow you to play offline then that needs some work, Phil.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is why I'm skipping a lot of so called Smart Delivery games because the XSX version isn't on the disc.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
That isn't DRM, the console needs the profiles to make any BC game work.
These are downloaded / refreshed every 25 minutes or when requested.

I guess a good solution would be if you could manually apply these via USB or an offline installer, a little like how 360 did it.
Why require them in the first place? Why can't Xbox One games run without these profiles? If it is a compatibility thing why require it for all Xbox One games?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting, because I got into some debates about this before when talking about the game size comparisons. I thought this was the case, someone tried to tell me otherwise.

I tried to explain how I thought Smart Delivery worked.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Why require them in the first place? Why can't Xbox One games run without these profiles? If it is a compatibility thing why require it for all Xbox One games?
The machine isn't an Xbox one, The point is, it's downloading the config data to make them compatible. As I said, this was how the 360 did it, albeit in a single lump download you needed to update.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting, because I got into some debates about this before when talking about the game size comparisons. I thought this was the case, someone tried to tell me otherwise.

I tried to explain how I thought Smart Delivery worked.
Honestly, I don't really blame Microsoft for this. If you think about it, it is the best solution for Smart Delivery. OG Xbox Ones cannot read UHD disc so unless they go Sony's route of releasing two versions of every game, this was the logical conclusion.
The machine isn't an Xbox one, The point is, it's downloading the config data to make them compatible. As I said, this was how the 360 did it, albeit in a single lump download you needed to update.
Obviously it's not an Xbox One. My point is that Sony found a way to do it without an internet connection and Microsoft certainly could. The reason they didn't is because they have no problem requiring an internet connection. Which is to say that Microsoft doesn't think this is an issue and neither do most other people who embraced the digital future (myself included).

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 uses an entirely different setup, which has it's own set of limitations in terms of what it can achieve.
And this is it in a nutshell.

Been telling folks there are pros n cons to how each console does things. Some cant seem to grasp this tho, lol.

Honestly, I don't really blame Microsoft for this. If you think about it, it is the best solution for Smart Delivery. OG Xbox Ones cannot read UHD disc so unless they go Sony's route of releasing two versions of every game, this was the logical conclusion.

Exactly,

I have said before I can at least appreciate they way Sony does it because it makes it crystal clear whats PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I have this problem constantly on my Xbox One X. It's super annoying.

I don't see it much on my Series X.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I had an issue a few weeks back with NieR Replicant on my SX, when my internet went down for a few minutes and I got kicked out of the game with the "Do you own this game?" message until it could reconnect to XBL. The game was bought from the Microsoft Store and is being played on my main (read: only) Series X on my main account, so no idea how that happened.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
That's not actually true for BC Xbox One games. Those games run natively through BC and should not require any additional download to run. Unlike Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games which pull 0 data from the disc.

Basically, if Sony can make it so you can install and play a PS4 game from disc on PS5, Microsoft should be able to do it for Xbox One games.
Their BC solutions are different. Its why PS5 games running on BC are usually a little less upgraded.

Each individual Xbox game has some configuration files that need to be downloaded to play.

That's not DRM

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Does this mean I can't play Xbox one games when servers are down ?
what?
If they are already installed it won't cause a problem, however if the configuration servers are down, then you wouldn't be able to run them.

Those data that comes through is more than just BC data, you'd be having all kinds of problems.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Their BC solutions are different. Its why PS5 games running on BC are usually a little less upgraded.

Each individual Xbox game has some configuration files that need to be downloaded to play.

That's not DRM
It's not, but it's effectively the same thing. At the end of the day the people who are upset about are the ones thinking about game preservation. They won't be able to play smart delivery games without internet access or if the store is dead. I guess the difference is if they want to play a smart delivery game they could always just get an xbox one instead of a series x 25 years from now.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
Obviously it's not an Xbox One. My point is that Sony found a way to do it without an internet connection and Microsoft certainly could. The reason they didn't is because they have no problem requiring an internet connection. Which is to say that Microsoft doesn't think this is an issue and neither do most other people who embraced the digital future (myself included).

its a difference in how the backwards compatibility works between the two companies.

a playstation 5 basically pretends that it is a ps4 to run its games

an xbox series x doesnt, it runs the game in the same manner it would a native version.

So the console needs to download a compatibility shim that is unique to each title

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I guess the difference is if they want to play a smart delivery game they could always just get an xbox one instead of a series x 25 years from now.

Yeah, this is why the 'requiring a connection to install a BC game' isn't really an issue for me, in terms of preservation.

As long as the original hardware (360, Xbox One etc) can still be used, it's not a preservation problem. Its just a problem installing BC software on hardware it was never meant to be installed on. Which is annoying but ultimately not that surprising.

Just grab an Xbox One and install it there as normal if the servers ever go down forever.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

If Microsoft can retrospective apply HDR, triple the resolution and double the framerates of games they didn't make, then why can't Sony?
Because they have entirely different hardware and operating system setups.

but anyway, Perhaps Microsoft could include a cache of that data within OS installation.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
A while back I uninstalled Immortals Fenix Rising and then reinstalled it offline (was curious what was on the disc) and I was able to play it without issue. Couldn't tell if there was a Series X enhancement though, game was running at 60fps but it could have just been uncapped without patches.

Now I'm curious if that config data hangs around even after you uninstall a game, if it's that small I'd like the option to just download them all to my machine locally.

Oct 29, 2017

Just my opinion, but this is the way the wind has been blowing for a while now-- games are living documents that require patches and updates from day one, making physical discs not much more than license keys anyway. Why not use this fact to achieve a cool bit of convenience in making the same disc function as a key for multiple console versions.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
its a difference in how the backwards compatibility works between the two companies.

a playstation 5 basically pretends that it is a ps4 to run its games

an xbox series x doesnt, it runs the game in the same manner it would a native version.

So the console needs to download a compatibility shim that is unique to each title
I understand how it works. I am saying that the different approaches are a difference in philosophy. Microsoft decided this route was the route that made the most sense and they had no issues requiring an internet connection because they don't think it's a problem.
Just my opinion, but this the way the wind has been blowing for a while now-- games are living documents that require patches and updates from day one, making physical discs not much more than license keys anyway. Why not use this fact to achieve a cool bit of convenience in making the same disc function as a key for multiple console versions.
Same, I am okay with it. Honestly, I jailbreak my consoles once they reach end of life so one way or another, I will be able to play my games.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I mean if you bought something and it didn't work straight out of the box what would you call it lol
This is semantics for sure as I already said it's effectively the same thing, but I wouldn't call it DRM lol. When your inflatable pool doesn't work out the box do you call it DRM?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's not, but it's effectively the same thing. At the end of the day the people who are upset about are the ones thinking about game preservation. They won't be able to play smart delivery games without internet access or if the store is dead. I guess the difference is if they want to play a smart delivery game they could always just get an xbox one instead of a series x 25 years from now.
Or they can just download the games and keep it on an external harddrive.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
If game preservation is the issue then there are options around this as you said buy the console the game was originally released for. Or hold on to a backup HD with all the games installed which is what anyone who's serious about games preservation should be doing anyway. I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect a console to play 4+ generations of games natively straight from the disc with no need for any updates.

Either way this isn't DRM so it shouldn't be framed as such.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Or they can just download the games and keep it on an external harddrive.
Boom, didn't think of that. He didn't test that in the video but they would install the game like normal, connect the drive, move the game and there it is. I don't see how that couldn't work. Anyone test this?

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Feels like we're going a bit overboard with critizing DRM these days, no? BC games literally can not work out of the box, unless Microsoft lets you download every single emulator and all files required for all BC games offline, the only solution is to reprint OG and 360 discs.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe using the term 'DRM' so that everyone would comment and just endlessly discuss whether it's DRM or not was the intention all along and gets the most engagement 🤔

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Awesome vid, DRM is one of those things that I don't mind as I don't see any situation that I wouldn't be connected to xbox live but I do see why other users care about it so much. I do sometimes get messages basically saying "hey do you own this" with games that I own.
Same. Online drm to me is the same as no drm. I understand other peoples concern tho.