• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
announce yourself when you enter the home, or even if you're getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night," Norman said.

Fucking lol, can you imagine living somewhere where not telling someone what you're doing in your house is an acceptable reason to be shot!

"MOM, I'M JUST GOING FOR A PEE, PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME THROUGH THE DOOR!"

"MOM, I'M JUST GETTING SOME JUICE FROM THE FRIDGE, NO NEED TO FIRE A FEW ROUNDS THROUGH THE WALL!"

"MOM, I'M JUST TURNING THE TV ON, NO GRENADES THIS TIME PLEASE!"

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. I personally wouldn't be smiling if my own mum intentionally shot me but you do you, girl.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I always aim for centre mass and observe proper trigger discipline when I blow away my family members for walking around the house at night, like every responsible gun owner should.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
"If you realize someone has a gun for protection, and they're not expecting you — announce yourself when you enter the home, or even if you're getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night," Norman said.

Imagine having to live like this.
The irony of the american gun culture, gets bought because of fear of intruders, but instead you have to live in fear someone doesn't shoot you when drinking a glass of water.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this always the case? How many times have guns been used against an actual home invasion vs someone in the house being "accidentally" shot?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
announce yourself when you enter the home, or even if you're getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night," Norman said.

Are you fucking joking me? Shooting should always be the last choice. Not the impulse reaction.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cut her some slack, she didn't even kill her and that's despite her daughter committing the grave crime of checks notes not announcing herself when entering her own home

That's the part I love. I guess a door was unlocked or the mother thought that an intruder had a key or something?

It's the same shit I see when people proudly state "I'm gonna spend hundreds or thousands on shotguns and handguns for protection" then act utterly perplexed when I suggest putting that money towards security screens/doors/windows instead.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's the same shit I see when people proudly state "I'm gonna spend hundreds or thousands on shotguns and handguns for protection" then act utterly perplexed when I suggest putting that money towards security screens/doors/windows instead.

How am I going to live out my action movie fantasies with security doors, though?

No, wait, I mean, uh, guns are... responsible... adult, home protection! First amendment!

Xin_Eohp

Apr 28, 2018
So much for "People kill people, not guns".
I suppose with this logic, the mom would have stabbed her with a knife if she didn't have access to guns anyway ?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty much how I imagine most Americans these days:

giphy.gif

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking lol, can you imagine living somewhere where not telling someone what you're doing in your house is an acceptable reason to be shot!

"MOM, I'M JUST GOING FOR A PEE, PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME THROUGH THE DOOR!"

"MOM, I'M JUST GETTING SOME JUICE FROM THE FRIDGE, NO NEED TO FIRE A FEW ROUNDS THROUGH THE WALL!"

"MOM, I'M JUST TURNING THE TV ON, NO GRENADES THIS TIME PLEASE!"

Three shootings later: "Please declare in advance that you're now going to announce yourself to not startle fragile gun owners by announcing yourself out of the blue and getting shot in the face".

Oct 30, 2017
i bet this happens all the time in australia and japan, just with knives instead

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's totally not an issue that could have been prevented by not giving everyone and their grandma weapons in the whole damn country I guess.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
This kind of scenario happens to me all the time, but I'm always met with a "Oh, it's just you." instead of bullets.

PunishedOkabe

From a certain point of view, this isn't a copy
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like she's getting a proper American homeschooling

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
""If you realize someone has a gun for protection, and they're not expecting you — announce yourself when you enter the home, or even if you're getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night," Norman said. "

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Was this mother setting a trap for someone or something? How the fuck did she just have a gun ready to go at a moments notice?

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
I'm just thinking of all the times I've got up for a glass of water, grab a snack, to take a piss, step out for a smoke, and how i wasn't blasted by a gun for it.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Attempted manslaughter is a crime right? Or are you allowed to shoot people just for kicks as long as it's inside your home?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Must be strapped all the time. /s

The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Girard is 1 in 49. Based on FBI crime data, Girard is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Ohio, Girard has a crime rate that is higher than 74% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.

I think the stats are disproportionate, because the pop is less than 10,000.there are always going to be sketchy people.

More stats.
Violent 20
Property 172
Total Crimes 192

Last edited:

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The mother doesn't even care going from that excerpt.

E: oh, Norman is one of the police? I'm.. not sure what's worse, if that quote is from her mother or a policeman

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"If you realize someone has a gun for protection, and they're not expecting you — announce yourself when you enter the home, or even if you're getting up to get a drink of water in the middle of the night," Norman said.

"TO ALL PRESENT FAMILY MEMBERS AT 2 AM, I AM ANNOUNCING THE PROCEDURE OF GOING TO THE BATHROOM AND URINATING, PLEASE HOLSTER ALL FIREARMS"

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Must be strapped all the time.

Are there any stats on people who have guns actually being safer in these less than ideal areas?

I've lived in some sketchy places and I can't imagine having a gun making me safer in those times, if anything I imagine it'd increase my risk of doing something stupid like the mother this thread is based on.

Attempted manslaughter is a crime right? Or are you allowed to shoot people just for kicks as long as it's inside your home?

Well, Trayvon Martin was tracked down and shot and apparently that counted as self-defense so I'm guessing inside your actual home you're allowed to do absolutely anything and get away with it.

Oct 26, 2017
so was the door left unlocked or something? If you're the type to carry a gun for self-defense I'd imagine you'd at least lock your doors?
and I know the daughter forgives her mom and all but if I was her I'd start using this as leverage for the rest of my life. "hey, remember the time you blindly shot me three times".

Well here we are again
It's always such a pleasure
Remember when you tried to kill me, thrice
Oh how we laughed and laughed
Except I was actually laughing
Under the circumstances I've been stupidly nice