• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Galloway died five days later, on July 9.
A Florida woman claims an ambulance wouldn't take her 30-year-old daughter to the hospital, because, she said, fire rescue personnel assumed the family couldn't afford it.

The Hillsborough County fire rescue personnel were put on immediate administrative leave with pay and face disciplinary hearings Tuesday, according to the county.
More at the link:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/31/health/woman-dies-rescue-wont-take-her-cant-pay/index.html?utm_content=2018-07-31T14:33:11&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=link

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
What a normal country that is definitely not a cyberpunk dystopia. (Mostly because the infrastructure couldn't sustain the required amount of neon signs)

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
And they were put on administrative leave with pay. Wow. Granted a vacation for violating procedure.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Always strange how punishment is basically "paid vacation", goes for police officers as well.

How could you even see if they can afford it or not? Shouldn't it be standard to always take someone no matter the money? Because that is your job, its your duty to help people.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory thread derailment.
I would prefer they didn't take me either if it's not immediately life threatening, so good lookin out imo.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, but this totally is a first world country, right. This is why I will vote democrat down the line without thought. Republicans let all of this happen because of big pharma and insurance companies need those extra pennies.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What a normal country that is definitely not a cyberpunk dystopia. (Mostly because the infrastructure couldn't sustain the required amount of neon signs)

The problem is that our neon signs are just corporate logos.

AXUglNf.jpg

Iiw9iwI.jpg

We live in dystopia.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not their job to assume whether or not someone can afford treatment. They should have just taken her to the hospital. They should be fired and prosecuted.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Yea, but this is totally is a first world country, right. This is why I will vote democrat down the line without thought. Republicans let all of this happen because of big pharma and insurance companies need those extra pennies.

Many Democrats especially NJ Dems like Booker would never backstab their big pharma donors.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Always strange how punishment is basically "paid vacation", goes for police officers as well.

How could you even see if they can afford it or not? Shouldn't it be standard to always take someone no matter the money? Because that is your job, its your duty to help people.

Let's "wait for all of the facts" but it's kinda obvious.

Why were fire rescue personnel sent out to respond to a medical call in the first place? Is that standard in Florida?

The third violation, Merrill said, was to falsify the nature of the call. The crew filled out paperwork after their call that said the patient could not be found. One of the rescue workers said the call was labeled as such because "there was no patient information to input and it was a lift assist only," according to the letter Andrew Martin wrote to the county about the call. Martin says in the letter that Black only wanted help getting her daughter down the stairs and that Black said she would take her to the hospital.

Michael Lozano Jr., a medical director for the fire department who reviewed the incidentconcluded he "cannot trust" the workers who "failed to perform the essential elements of their job," according to an email he sent to the department. After the disciplinary hearing Tuesday, Merrill will decide how to proceed.

So not only did they fuck up on the job, they filed a false report. No one should take their word on anything in this situation.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not punishment. It's what happens while they investigate (and should be what happens).

I don't imagine the investigation will take long since there's a long paper trail. The punishment, assuming there isn't something huge we aren't being told, should probably be charges on top of firing.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
That really isn't the point, AT ALL!
Don't engage. Just look at his posts in here lol.

I would prefer they didn't take me either if it's not immediately life threatening, so good lookin out imo.

Without further details, not necessarily. Could have been related to a chronic condition that EMT's or ambulance trauma care would have no effect on.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Wow holy shit this is depressing. Work hard get your education get insurance and still get fucked over, even if these guys get fired there is no justice here her kids lost their mother and what looks like a positive role model for any family to have had.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that our neon signs are just corporate logos.

AXUglNf.jpg

Iiw9iwI.jpg

We live in dystopia.
The two pictures are so stereotypical American that it hurts... .
The poles, the signs and everything, they don't even glow in the dark. If you look at Japan's entertainment district in Tokyo, etc. you see so many neon signs and it looks like those cool movies (Ghost in the Shell (Anime), etc.).

Why were fire rescue personnel sent out to respond to a medical call in the first place? Is that standard in Florida?

So not only did they fuck up on the job, they filed a false report. No one should take their word on anything in this situation.
Well obviously judgemental, racism and hate of poor people as the reason for them to assume they have no money. My question was more from a personal viewpoint, as it is difficult to see how much money someone has just from looking. You can wear any clothes you want and still have millions in the bank (I would totally do that).

It's not punishment. It's what happens while they investigate (and should be what happens).

I don't imagine the investigation will take long since there's a long paper trail. The punishment, assuming there isn't something huge we aren't being told, should probably be charges on top of firing.
Seems fair, though they sometimes use it as punishment as well I believe. Can't back that up right now, just something I vaguely remember from all these police shooting threads.

My condolences to the family of the deceased. =(

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I can't speak for Florida, but where I live fire dept is sent on all medical emergency calls. They are often closer (far more fire depts than hospitals), and fire fighters are trained paramedics. If you're having a medical emergency and the fire dept arrives, be thankful.

CLaddyOnFire

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City
Without further details, not necessarily. Could have been related to a chronic condition that EMT's or ambulance trauma care would have no effect on.
Continuing to not read, huh?

Dispatcher coded it as a stroke. Fire rescue arrived 12 minutes after dispatch. Instead of taking vitals and assessing her condition on site/en route to the hospital in an ambulance, they loaded her in a car for her to get herself to the hospital. The difference between 12 minutes and 25+ minutes after emergence of stroke symptoms is enormous, and that is evident in this case. Upon arrival at the hospital, she was assessed and air-transported to another facility but fell into a coma. She didn't recover.

She had just had a baby, and post-delivery blood clots are extremely common. She likely had a blood clot make it to her neck and cause a stroke. Immediate care could have and likely would have saved her life, if paramedics had listened to the circumstances while loading her in an ambulance and measured a few vitals. Simply administering a blood thinner to stop any further damage from lack of oxygen to the brain would have drastically improved her chances of survival.

But yeah you're right, the EMT's are completely not at fault for not doing their jobs. They were cited on THREE separate violations including falsifying the nature of the 911 call and not receiving a signed disclosure declining medical transport (there was no declination, the woman specifically asked for an ambulance). Nah it must've just been some chronic illness that JUST SO HAPPENED to take her life about an hour (onset of comatose state) after the medical personnel fuck-up.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
We need to fight for universal healthcare come 2020. This has gone on long enough. Providing the Democrats get the House, Senate, and we have a Democratic president.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
and we had idiots like sarah palin crying about "death panels" we already fucking had. Now the fucking medics of all people are playing gatekeeper to whether people live or die. This shit is literally killing us left and right in various ways and we have too many people hemming and hawing about it. Just fucking do it. Make UHC a thing. Its already as bad as it can get.

Gurthang

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
This also in part the fault of hospital that did the C-Section. She should have been on blood thinners for awhile ( I am not sure if she was or not ).

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster

In most places I've lived in Fire Personal usually always come.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dispatcher coded it as a stroke. Fire rescue arrived 12 minutes after dispatch. Instead of taking vitals and assessing her condition on site/en route to the hospital in an ambulance, they loaded her in a car for her to get herself to the hospital. The difference between 12 minutes and 25+ minutes after emergence of stroke symptoms is enormous, and that is evident in this case. Upon arrival at the hospital, she was assessed and air-transported to another facility but fell into a coma. She didn't recover.

She had just had a baby, and post-delivery blood clots are extremely common. She likely had a blood clot make it to her neck and cause a stroke. Immediate care could have and likely would have saved her life, if paramedics had listened to the circumstances while loading her in an ambulance and measured a few vitals. Simply administering a blood thinner to stop any further damage from lack of oxygen to the brain would have drastically improved her chances of survival.

But yeah you're right, the EMT's are completely not at fault for not doing their jobs. They were cited on THREE separate violations including falsifying the nature of the 911 call and not receiving a signed disclosure declining medical transport (there was no declination, the woman specifically asked for an ambulance). Nah it must've just been some chronic illness that JUST SO HAPPENED to take her life about an hour (onset of comatose state) after the medical personnel fuck-up.

That would be my bad, I don't click through to articles ever, so given the half assed OP omitting such vital details, I could only assume the woman lived, or it was related to something EMT's could not treat in any meaningful way. This was definitely on them, the failure to take vitals and properly assess the situation being the most egregious.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

While I feel that this wonderful post is kinda wasted on the person you responded to, thanks for writing it. Great post.