• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
GdO0eMa.png

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight Nintendo Switch Version OT
  • Release Date: January 10, 2019
  • Original Release Date: March 4, 2016

• Developer: BOMBSERVICE (Guilherme Melo Martins a.k.a. "rdein")

• Publisher: DANGEN ENTERTAINMENT

• Platform: Nintendo Switch

• Price: $14.99/13.99€/£12.59/1,620円

Trailer

Features from the original press release:
  • Beautifully animated graphics
  • Exciting action gameplay - combo, dodge and skewer enemies with arrows
  • Intense boss battles with challenging patterns and epic scale
  • Difficulty settings appropriate for all, from story and setting lovers to hardcore action enthusiasts
  • A breadth of items that can be combined to create new strategies
  • A widely varied world to explore, filled with secrets and treasures
  • Eccentric allies and foes with compelling personalities
  • Mysterious lore and rich backstory in events, dialog and item descriptions

Nintendo eShop link:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/momodora-reverie-under-the-moonlight-switch

hadYgDw.gif

What is Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight?
Released in March of 2016, Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight (RUtM) is the 4th game in the Momodora series. Produced by Guilherme Melo Martins a.k.a rdein, it is an action platformer in the vein of the Castlevania-style of Metroidvania, although more emphasis is placed on encounters and combat. Rdein has referred the game as being heavily influenced by Dark Souls (I know, I know...) due to its Estus Flask-like recovery system (You have a limited number of health replenishing potions that is refilled upon reaching a checkpoint) and its dark, somber gothic atmosphere. It is preceded by Momodora 3 and its forerunners Momodora 1 & 2, all which could be played in rdein's itch.io.

What is the story?
You play as Kaho, a priestess from Lun carrying a leaf, sent on a journey to save the land from certain darkness by convincing the Queen of of Karst to lend them their aid. Not everything seems well in her kingdom, however...

Do I need to play the previous Momodora games to understand the premise?
No. RUtM is entirely self-contained, and, as a matter of fact, a prequel to the main Momodora games.

What weapons do I have?
You are equipped with a leaf, a bow and arrow that can be charged as your default weaponry. Without giving much away, secondary items are also provided to you that can be switched. Passive abilities can also be equipped.

How long will this game take me to finish? I'm burnted out by having played lengthy Metroidvanias like Hollow Knight...
Worry not: Playtime is clocked at roughly 6 hours. That said, the game gets its legs with it's replayability: It is possible to beat bosses unscathed to aquire exclusive items (similar to MegaMan Zero's EX Skills), and New Game+ offers rearranged enemy placement and tougher encounters.

Why did it take so long for this game to get ported to Nintendo Switch?
Back in March of 2018, Undertale, and subsequently GameMaker Studio 2's suite of tools were officially announced for Nintendo Switch. This meant that many of the indie titles that missed out on Nintendo's then-platform Wii U, which did not support GameMaker, would now have a chance to shine on the Big N's latest hybrid console-hanheld. However, this came with a hurdle to those indie-developers who made their game on a previous iteration of GameMaker, the then-standard GameMaker Studio 1.4 . Yoyo Games, the makers of GameMaker Studio, did try to alleviate this problem with things as Compatibility Scripts, but as with most port jobs, some things simply don't just work out of the box...

Back in May, rdein wasn't even sure if "Momodora 4" would even come out on the system:
ix7s9i3.png

Later in that year, Dangen Entertainment and rdein officially announced the successor and name to Momodora:RUtM, Minoria, for release on Steam and Nintendo Switch (touted for a 2019 release). Along with that news also came the official announcement of the Nintendo Switch version of Momodora:RUtM.

How does the Nintendo Switch icon look like? (for Neiteio)
1642.png

Has anything been added to this version?
Not that I am aware. Rdein casually mentioned wanting to add a Lulbella Petting minigame, but had more bugs than expected.

QpzEw9g.png

Special thanks to rdein, DAKU, Seth Abercromby, and Eolz

Last edited:
OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I apologize ahead of time if I didn't include some cleaver quip in the subtitle. I was initially thinking of a bunch of leaf jokes and in the end I just couldn't find a suitable one. There's really not much I can say other that it's one of the most solid Classicvania-feeling Metroidvania's I've played since Order of Ecclesia.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading a thread on this site where users talked about some of their favorite overlooked games from this generation, and a handful of peeps mentioned Momodora. I looked the title up, became very interested, and, shortly thereafter, a bit dismayed that i might not be able to play it... until this morning, when I see this glorious, wonderful, splendid OT.

Thanks for bringing the game back to my attention, OP ;D

Last edited:
OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading a thread on this site where uses talked about some of their favorite overlooked games from this generation, and a handful of peeps mentioned Momodora. I looked the title up, became very interested, and, shortly thereafter, a bit dismayed that i might not be able to play it... until this morning, when I see this glorious, wonderful, splendid OT.

Thanks for bringing the game back to my attention, OP ;D
I'm glad people are being reminded this game exists! I always want to give a special shoutout to cucholix for bringing the release date to our attention when it got announced.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
The metroidvania aspects of the game look cool, but the cutesy cartoon girl aesthetic kind of turns me off a bit (not that it features an all-female cast, I assume (?), just the style applied to it). Has that been a running theme throughout the whole series?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
This is a really fun game with great atmosphere. Not Hollow Knight tier or anything but HK is so above the norm for indie Metroidvanias that it's not really a fair comparison anyway. I bought it again on Switch to show my support for the dev.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The metroidvania aspects of the game look cool, but the cutesy cartoon girl aesthetic kind of turns me off a bit (not that it features an all-female cast, I assume (?), just the style applied to it). Has that been a running theme throughout the whole series?
Most of the original art was drawn by rdein. DAKU also lent a hand for later promotional material.

The game may look cutesy but there is a very somber undertone to it, unlike its predecessors.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one for double dipping but I encourage anyone who's a fan of 2D Action games to pick this up. It's a treasure.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been interested in this game. It's < 10 hours long according to How Long To Beat, I think I'll definitely try it out. Thanks for the OT!

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This was one of my favourite games of... 2016? Has it already been this long?

Anyway, everyone who hasn't played it yet and has even a faint interest in Metroidvanias should absolutely get it.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of my favourite games of... 2016? Has it already been this long?

Anyway, everyone who hasn't played it yet and has even a faint interest in Metroidvanias should absolutely get it.
One of your posts praising the game led me to check it out and it ended up making my top 5 for the year. Thanks. :)

I had to do the same double take yesterday about the year, can't believe it was 2016.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The music was one of the weakest parts about the game to me, honestly. Most of it felt like pretty generic ambient music, with only a few standout tracks.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely interested in this one, don't know if I'll buy it right now but I'll get it eventually.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Enjoy Switch owners this is my favourite Metroidvania game of all time. So neat that it is getting released on more platforms.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I bought this in the Steam 2017 Winter Sale, and I didn't love it. I finished it but didn't find it particularly enjoyable. I found the boss/enemy attack patterns and ai to be pretty dull. With an exception of the knight girl with the sword, that fight was legit (partially because the arrows didn't work on her). Maybe I just played too many amazing games around that time, which made the game seem worse than it was.

Also, playing on the hard mode (die in 1-2 hits) was a mistake. Maybe I should try it again on normal mode, but gimping myself to not use the arrows.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
How does this compare to Hollow Knight? I'm not a fan of Hollow Knight BTW.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I like my Metroidvanias more exploration focused than combat focused. Burned out on Hollow Knight real quick for that reason. Want to check this out, but not sure if I'd actually like it.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I adore this game, I loved it on PC so much. As soon as I can afford stuff again (just came back from a 3 week trip to Japan), I'll be buying this game for sure, just to support the devs. Everyone please buy this game, it's beautiful!

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The AGDQ run two days ago sold me on the game.

Hope the Switch version has ok pixel scaling.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm... does this conditional statement still work if I'm not the biggest fan of Dark Souls?
Think of a more linear Hollow Knight and its easier and shorter. I think you'll like it cause its not crazy difficult like Souls Games. Bosses are pretty damn fun and finding secrets its cool

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess? Hollow Knight's got a big map and slower combat than Momodora, so that's where the comparison came from.
Hmm...
Think of a more linear Hollow Knight and its easier and shorter. I think you'll like it cause its not crazy difficult like Souls Games. Bosses are pretty damn fun and finding secrets its cool
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm expecting... I was initially a bit worried about the game's length until learning of its replayability in the OP. Pretty excited to dive into this sucker.
Dark Souls comparisons are basically a meme at this point, I just ignore them.
While I agree to an extent, there does seem to be some pretty clear inspirations drawn from Dark Souls in Hollow Knight (but fortunately for me, HK managed to forgo certain elements which prevented me from really enjoying DS)

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
Quick question - what kind of progression system does this game have? Leveling up stats? Purely items with different abilities/move sets? Or somewhere in between?

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question - what kind of progression system does this game have? Leveling up stats? Purely items with different abilities/move sets? Or somewhere in between?
You can get some healing item boosts (more uses), upgrade your attack power and you gather various items that can be equipped for different effects. No RPG stats or levelling up.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I guess? Hollow Knight's got a big map and slower combat than Momodora, so that's where the comparison came from.

Wait, what? I've only played an hour or two of Momodora on the PC but the controls felt much slower and weightier in it than they ever did in Hollow Knight. Hollow Knight has very short windups and cooldowns and complete air control, so it's all about dancing around your enemies; combat feels totally different than Dark Souls other than being dark and hard.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
I will put this one on the back of my metroidvania queue. Need to play the messenger, yoku's island express, and finish shantae half genie. Also want to get to dandara at some point.