• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I might pick this one up. I'd heard about it when it was going to release on PS4, and was interested but ultimately never bought it. It being on Switch has certainly put it back on my radar though, so I'll likely end up giving it a whirl, especially since it's only $15.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
My favourite metroidvania this gen so far ended up being Guacamelee 2. How does this compare to Guac?

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's unfortunate.
You might think of it as such at first, but what you have is, as another has pointed out, a tighter, more focused experienced. It's no Owlboy, and the combat in the game has does have tough moments.

Also the spritework is fantastic.

My favourite metroidvania this gen so far ended up being Guacamelee 2. How does this compare to Guac?
I've never really finished Guacamelee, but I guess if I had to compare it to that game, there's less focus placed on upgrades for traversal (though there is still a bit of that...it is a Metroidvania after all), and most paths you find before you are already "open", just impeded by really tough enemies. In that regard, it feels more like the tougher Castlevanias (such as Order of Ecclesia) than Symphony of the Night (which was much more sprawling and focused on exploration).

Last edited:

jRPG

Dec 13, 2017
I'm so drawn to the visual style, but honestly I tend to avoid anything that lists Dark Souls as a comparison. I generally enjoy a more chilled experience. I wonder how frustrating I might find this as someone who tends to avoid such fare.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so drawn to the visual style, but honestly I tend to avoid anything that lists Dark Souls as a comparison. I generally enjoy a more chilled experience. I wonder how frustrating I might find this as someone who tends to avoid such fare.
Its not too hard. Its might seem tricky at times but then you learn how everything works and you gonna jump and dodge and attack without much issues

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I was also really hesitant to put the Dark Souls comparison in there as well, as I feel it takes a lot of cues from more encounter-focused Classicvanias. But apparently rdein has insisted before that Dark Souls was one of his primary inspirations, and I could still see some of that inspiration seeping in via the use of the Bellflower (which is a limited-number use restorative item that replenishes once you hit a savepoint). Also I think where these save points are placed are also pretty well paced. Not to mention, the game has an easier difficulty setting, something Dark Souls does not have!

I'd say give the demo a shot first. It's really not that bad.

Edit: I also added the lauch trailer to the OP.

Last edited:

jRPG

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks guys, definitely eased my mind. I love the visual style, and I'm gonna take the risk on a purchase.

Peace Tea

Feb 17, 2018
Very cool little game. Definitely recommend buying. Does have Metroidvania like exploration but is pretty inventory-lite (Weaponry & potions), which is fine but needs to be mentioned, given the comparisons being made to those other games. Combat seemed pretty simple & straitforward also. Main enjoyment with the game came the from the consistency in creepiness of every themed area and its respective musical track.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool little game. Definitely recommend buying. Does have Metroidvania like exploration but is pretty inventory-lite (Weaponry & potions), which is fine but needs to be mentioned, given the comparisons being made to those other games.
You bring up a good point. Momodora RUtM is more straightforward when it comes to inventory than most other action Metroidvanias out there.

Would it be fair to compare its inventory more to Dead Cells? Or did that game also have a massive amount of collectibles too?

Baircade

Aug 21, 2018
Europe
Oh my gawd I hope this means the next game will hit Switch ASAP!!!
I never heard of this series before but saw some screenshots when it launched on PS4 and I immediately had to play it. Really tempted to double dip... Perfect length btw, one of the few metroidvania's I finished in one day but felt fulfilled.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my gawd I hope this means the next game will hit Switch ASAP!!!
I never heard of this series before but saw some screenshots when it launched on PS4 and I immediately had to play it. Really tempted to double dip... Perfect length btw, one of the few metroidvania's I finished in one day but felt fulfilled.
As a matter of fact, the next game will be coming to Switch as I've mentioned in my OP.

Speaking of double dips, I took the plunge and don't regret it one bit.

I just beat
Derilect Frida
with no damage. Tackling the knight next.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up this game and it's pretty interesting so far. I really like the feel of running, jumping, and attacking.

It's more open than I expected. I've gone down one particular path but there are a bunch of ways I could have gone instead. At the moment I'm just kind of wandering around, seeing what I can find.

I encountered a boss that didn't seem to have a save point nearby. Is that the norm for this game? I'm not really of fan of that kind of design, but I guess I'll manage.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up this game and it's pretty interesting so far. I really like the feel of running, jumping, and attacking.

It's more open than I expected. I've gone down one particular path but there are a bunch of ways I could have gone instead. At the moment I'm just kind of wandering around, seeing what I can find.

I encountered a boss that didn't seem to have a save point nearby. Is that the norm for this game? I'm not really of fan of that kind of design, but I guess I'll manage.
Some bosses have alternate routes, even some that have a secret area which unlocks a save point. Try exploring more and look for suspicious walls...

Speaking of which, some walls will disappear when you strike them! There is one that requires a bit of creativity utilizing an enemy within the area to blast it for you!

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Also this game was covered by AGDQ. They go through Insane difficulty in their run.
(I suggest to avoid watching this until after you've completed the game to see what optional paths you might have missed.)

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I see that the game costs 50% more than on other platforms (and it's currently on sale on the PSN) and there's nothing to justify this. While I really want to play the game, I'm gonna vote with my wallet and won't encourage this sort of Switch tax. Nintendo should really say somehting about this.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I see that the game costs 50% more than on other platforms (and it's currently on sale on the PSN) and there's nothing to justify this. While I really want to play the game, I'm gonna vote with my wallet and won't encourage this sort of Switch tax. Nintendo should really say somehting about this.
I don't think it has anything to do with Nintendo or "Switch tax". It's price on other platforms was also $15, and it would be unfair to compare the sale price on those with what is essentially a new release on Nintendo's platform.

As a matter of fact I voted with my wallet that the added $5 was justified because of the portability factor (not to mention the amount of work it took to port a GMS 1.4 title to GMS 2, as I've stated in my OP). Then again, I did use my Nintendo Points to bring the price down to just $10, so it still ended up the same price as the other versions.

I just think there are prople who are hard on Nintendo for all the wrong reasons.

So yeah, I support the creators of this game. I already have the game on Steam, but I bought the game on Switch because I like it that much!

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Nice OT! Will probably double dip once it's on sale, finished it on PC a while ago, excellent game.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT! Will probably double dip once it's on sale, finished it on PC a while ago, excellent game.
I mentioned how I was able to use My Nintendo points to bring it down in price, but moreover, as I discussed in the OP, porting the game to GMS 2 was not an easy feat and at one point its release was uncertain.

But yeah, I can understand if you feel burnt out after having just finished it! For games in the same vein, I also recommend Touhou Luna Nights; though that one is more focused on exploration than encounters.

Also thanks! This is one of my first "proper" OTs so I still have a lot to learn regarding formatting.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Fun little game. It's short, too, which isn't a knock against it because sometimes you need a bite-sized gem instead of an 800 open-world bloated RPG and all!

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
This is so worth it. Usually I buy games expecting to enjoy them for weeks/months so I was hesitant to buy this. I finished it in 6 hours today and it was sooo much fun. It's not and hard game on normal just the right difficulty. Action, music and exploration are great.

Do yourself a favor a buy this game

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I...I manage to beat both
Pardoner Fennel and Archpreistess Choir
with no damage!

Does anybody have any tips for a no-damage
Lupair & Magnolia
run?

(As to people who are wondering what is so important with beating bosses without taking damage, much like MegaMan Zero 2's EX Skills, you gain unique accessories for defeating bosses without damage.)

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm still figuring out how to do a no-damage run on the above character, I ended up making some fake SNES boxart...

z4Rvy0i.png

fSDlUJM.png

efJ22vZ.png

(I still don't know is there's a particular item I need to eliminate
Lupair
quickly.)

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I just completed this game on steam on normal difficulty, it took me 6 hours with 96% of the map explored and i liked it, not as much as other metroidvanias like ori, SOTN or super metroid but it's a solid game, the pixel art is gorgeous, some music tracks are great and the game has the right length and the level of challenge on normal was perfect, the only things i didn't like were that the combat system is too simple for my liking and all those instant death when you fail a jump and drop into some spikes and die, not really a fan of insta death in games anymore, but those are minor annoyances im glad i played this game.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
I didn't know this was out!

Picked it up yesterday, just finished a first hard mode run, all boss items.

This game is so good, in my eyes, it actually got me to spend a year building my own platformer game.

https://i.imgur.com/w8GLVYH.gif

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this game, or seen this thread before, so I'm thankful for the bump. Will be looking into buying this week.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
(I still don't know is there's a particular item I need to eliminate
Lupair
quickly.)

My tactic:

2 bak block hails immediately, she should eat both of them.

Then the spare thread, get behind her while she's prepping to ground smash, get her twice with both charges.

Then, with the item you get from the arsonist equipped, beat her down.

For Magnolia, just dodge and hit or stay back and rapid shot her to death

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of this game, or seen this thread before, so I'm thankful for the bump. Will be looking into buying this week.
This game needs more love!

Also
My tactic:

2 bak block hails immediately, she should eat both of them.

Then the spare thread, get behind her while she's prepping to ground smash, get her twice with both charges.

Then, with the item you get from the arsonist equipped, beat her down.

For Magnolia, just dodge and hit or stay back and rapid shot her to death
Thanks for the tips. Will try after doing some HW.