• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find Kevin Hart funnier in his movies than in his stand-up but he has had Netflix specials, and the last one had an hilarious 007 parody intro.

I mean, usually you start in comedy than you got into serious acting after.

What she is doing is the opposite, start in serious acting than branch off into comedy later.

What

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I find Kevin Hart funnier in his movies than in his stand-up but he has had Netflix specials, and the last one had an hilarious 007 parody intro.

What she is doing is the opposite, start in serious acting than branch off into comedy later.

She started serious? I remember her from shitty comedies like three strikes and the near and dear "soul plane". You've got it backwards.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
bid high, bid low, negotiate and meet in the middle somewhere. low balling someone outright is an insult

Maybe that was their high offer and they really felt she was worth 50k but didn't want to deal with her bullshit racism cries? Plan failed and they would have been better off giving somebody else an offer.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
She's irrelevant because she's been blackballed for stupid bullshit. That being said, the situation she is career wise, I wouldn't really care about the money, this would probably be a decent way to get my foot back in the door and get people talking about my story and getting back into the limelight. It's a shitty scenario she's in.
*gets blackballed for stupid shit*
*does stupid shit to get unblackballed*

A Netflix special is a big deal and would be a great career move for any comedian. And if you can't get work as it is, I'd take the money and do it just to get back in business.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago

Hart's specials were just his tours filmed and released on dvd. I dont think netflix paid him or offered him anything besides streaming money for his stuff.
Totally different than what this is.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I'd pay to see the other 3, and not Monique.

On the other, 5% is real fuckin low.

Also lmao for people using this thread to continue shitting on Dave's specials for 2 reasons:

1. Shit was fuckin funny
2. Netflix isn't paying them for laughs, they're paying them for eyeballs, engagement and subscriptions. Dave moves the needle, Monique doesn't.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This isn't true, she did stand-up long before she had a serious acting career. She just had more success acting than doing stand-up comedy.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
She calls it racism and names three examples of comedians who got paid extraordinarily of which 2 are black?

Oh, come the fuck on...I'm even starting to pity Netflix here.

No. According to her she wasn't lowballed because she is black. She wasn't even lowballed because she is a woman.

She claims she was lowballed because she is a Black Woman.

Couldn't just be that she isn't worth as much as the other three.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Had to actually google her. Her picture rings a bell but I don't recall seeing her in anything. I do know all three in her example though.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017

What?

Anyway, she needs to chill. She isn't a draw like the others and never was. She is known in the black community and basically no where else. Like, take that half a mil and do a dope special.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly i didn't even know she was a stand up, all i knew about her was she was great in precious, and she had a feud with the director which is why he didn't give her a role in empire.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did she call Netflix racist and sexist before or after Showtime and HBO gave her lower offers?

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Business will pay for value. These stories always frustrate me as I don't think Netflix is at fault but I do suspect her identity impacts her reach. I also don't care about the ins and outs of 500k earnings.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I super sympathipatic to black actors and women getting lowballed.

But holy shit you ain't done nothing in forever and you're trying to compare yourself to Dave Chapelle? Girl bye.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While I like Monique's comedy more than Schumer's, and it's true that women of color get fucked a lot during negotiations, this seems like a case of someone who thinks she's currently more relevant than she really is.

She just isn't at the same modern popularity level as those 3, it's not even close. And $500k should not be something you scoff at.

And reading about her past events, it seems like this has been a problem before.

I mean, it's great to have self-worth, but not to the point of unrealism.
Yep, this is where I stand. Incredibly funny woman, immensely talented actress, but I think a better comparison would anyone from the seemingly endless stream of Netflix stand-up specials, not A-Listers who could easily sell-out stadiums if they wanted. If she's getting short-changed compared to them - and she might be, who knows - then there's something here.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that's cause good comedians can usually do drama

but good dramatists can't easily do comedy

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This could have been a golden goose for her in terms of eyeballs. I know my students alone eat up those comedy flicks in class during off days. She could have pulled a john mulaney, but NOOOPE. she's back to her old antics that got her in the hot seat in the first place.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of her, but did it ever cross her mind that one of the reasons Netflix offered her a comparatively low offer was because they already have a good line up of stand up shows. Sounds like business to me

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people in entertainment need to realize they're not entitled to money just because. Like I don't even know who she is and a comparison to Chapelle or Chris Rock isn't going to do the vast majority of comedians any favors. Very big difference in name value.

This isn't like a normal job where you have two people in the same position being paid different salaries due to gender or race. Entertainment in itself is basically a business made on your image and "box office value".

If that one white girl (the twin hero or something) or Vision in the MCU complained about getting paid $1 million compared to RDJ's $25 million or whatever, is anyone gonna give a crap? They're minor and insignificant roles whereas he's carried the brand and basically made it what it is.

Similar thing here. Chapelle and Chris Rock are going to attract a lot more attention and a mean a hell of a lot more, which is ultimately more beneficial to Netflix.

The $500k would be a problem if she's getting paid more to do her shows as it is and Netflix is going lower, or other comedians of similar standing are receiving a lot more from Netflix. Not if she's simply expecting it because of what other more famous people were paid.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I liked her as a host on Showtime at the Apollo. And I like that she doesn't bow to societal pressure to shave her legs. Real courage. Not even kidding.

But 500k? I don't know.

Last week, I watched two drug addicts try offer a falafel truck three bottles of unopened soda and a composition notebook in exchange for a 4-inch strip of aluminum foil and a drinking straw. I feel like sometimes Netflix is that drug addict that's lost perspective on the actual value of what they're feening for. They just mindlessly pay too much for content from anyone with an IMDb page.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
She hasn't been relevant since The Parkers, and The Parkers hasn't been relevant since UPN.

Next argument.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monique's Blackballing was totally avoidable. All she had to do was show up and promote a movie. How much was she making in her prime to turn down half-a-mil?

Lol and damn there's some youngins here.

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm in tge minority because I've know about her back in the day catchibg reruns of The Parkers with my Sis.

I think she definitely has a case but boycotting Netflix may or may not do much to help her case.

I'd watch her specials though, she's funny as fuck and has a unique charisma.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
$500,000 is what I'd think the upper limit is for what she'd be paid by Netflix. There are other funnier relevant black women comedians that hopefully will be hired with that money instead. Her refusal can put bread on their table.

Oct 25, 2017
Shes not known for Standup. Those other three are.

Chappelle is black and hadnt done any thing on tv in years. Same with Rock.

Schumer had a CC show. Monique is known for being an actress not a standup comedian.

Um yes she is....did you not see Queens of Comedy? Or I could be your Cellmate?

Seriously, Monique is hilarious to me and I think her having a large hiatus is why her money offer is low...but I mean I would take it you kick start my career back into stand up since it's been years since I did it. However compared to Chapelle, I think she should have at least got a million. Chapelle is pretty stale to me now especially with his questionable statements. Chapelle was better with sketch comedy so whatevs.

I don't think it's racism or sexism tho, I think it's due to how much she is worth at this time....and it just isn't a lot.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's another article on this from Vulture, and it brings up a few good points that give Netflix additional leverage in negotiations:

More than money, it's about data. When Showtime released Mo'Nique's 2007 special, I Coulda Been Your Cellmate!, Mo'Nique and her team would know how many people watched it. When it moved to Netflix recently, they no longer had that information, as Netflix doesn't share viewership data with talent. Netflix enters negotiations knowing exactly how many people watched the special, while Mo'nique does not. As elsewhere in the Peak TV landscape, the streaming service has all the leverage.

Further complicating matters is that, in Schumer's and Rock's cases, Netflix was in the position of luring them away from HBO, while Mo'Nique's last special, Something Different, was self-released on Amazon. And that gets to something I've been writing about for a while: With Netflix buying up such a large percentage of stand-up specials — often by paying more than everyone else — there aren't tons of other outlets for comedians to turn to if they think they're being lowballed by the streaming service. Showtime still does a handful, but HBO and Comedy Central only do a few. That's not great for talent like Mo'Nique. As one agent told Vulture, "She will be lucky if she can find anywhere else that will even pay her half of what Netflix was offering."

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
If she doesn't have enough of a following for Netflix to offer her more money then she definitely doesn't have enough of a following for Netflix to notice a boycott. lol. try again

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
As a reminder, what happened with Monique after her Oscar was that she was expecting to get paid for promoting the movie and the schmoozing for Oscar consideration (on top of what she was already paid to do the movie), even though the norm is that actors do it as part of the job of promoting their movies (it'd be like actors wanting to get paid extra to do junkets). That pissed off everyone involved in the production and a lot of people in Hollywood in general.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
There's another article on this from Vulture, and it brings up a few good points that give Netflix additional leverage in negotiations:
That's not great for talent like Mo'Nique. As one agent told Vulture, "She will be lucky if she can find anywhere else that will even pay her half of what Netflix was offering

Yup

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You can argue she doesn't rate an 8 figure check, but she sure as fuck is worth more than a mill, let alone 5K.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
You can argue she doesn't rate an 8 figure check, but she sure as fuck is worth more than a mill, let alone 5K.

If her last special is on Netflix (which the Vulture article says it is), then Netflix knows exactly how many people watched it compared to the comedians she's talking about, and other comedians they already have on the service. So they have a better idea of how much her special would be worth to them than she does.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Um yes she is....did you not see Queens of Comedy? Or I could be your Cellmate?

Seriously, Monique is hilarious to me and I think her having a large hiatus is why her money offer is low...but I mean I would take it you kick start my career back into stand up since it's been years since I did it. However compared to Chapelle, I think she should have at least got a million. Chapelle is pretty stale to me now especially with his questionable statements. Chapelle was better with sketch comedy so whatevs.

I don't think it's racism or sexism tho, I think it's due to how much she is worth at this time....and it just isn't a lot.

Dave Chappelle is legitimately one of the most respected stand-up comedians to ever live. Like, possibly the most respected living stand-up. For as well respected as Chappelle's Show was, you will find LOTS of dissent that his sketch work was better than his stand-up.

The difference between Mo'nique and the three she is referencing is the other three could fill up arenas. Schumer does. Chappelle doesn't want to, but still pulled big numbers at radio city. This is like a veteran benchwarmer comparing their salary to Lebron James and Steph Curry.

What do other comedians get from Netflix?

Also keep in mind that Netflix also targets an international audience, and I doubt there are many outside the US who know her.

This is the better question.

If Todd Barry and Ari Shaffir are making a lot more than her, than she has a point. But she chose to compare herself to much, much bigger stars.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this pretty much sums it up, Netflix offered her way more than anyone else would. No surprise, Netflix typically offers more than they probably have to because they want as much exclusive content as possible and have the money to spend.
The offer was 500K, not 5K. $5,000 would've been ridiculous

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate to be a dick but I literally had to Google her to find out who she was. Now I agree it's fucked a black woman can't become a big enough name to get these kind of specials but I don't think that's what happened here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The Oscar winner told us Friday ... Netflix offered her $500k, but she rejected the offer in light of the fact Amy Schumer, Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock pocketed eight figures. Mo'Nique's not just walking away from the table though ... she's now calling for a boycott of Netflix.

She strongly believes this is case of racism and sexism -- especially because she'd stack her resume in comedy up against anyone else.

giphy.gif

I'm pretty sure this is just a case of good business sense on Netflix's part.